~2020 Hurricane Season Thread~

12 minutes ago, Subzwari1987 said:

And that year, we used up all the Greek letter names. Zeta was the last storm of the year, and it formed December 28th. Pretty damn good chance we run out of letters this year

Not exactly.  The Greek alphabet works differently than ours.

So, assuming that the depression in the Gulf becomes a tropical storm, we would need 4 more to tie the record.

Interesting note about this year compared to 2005:

In 2005, we had 28 tropical storms (one went unnamed, as it was determined to be one after the season was over).  Of those, we had 15 hurricanes, 7 major hurricanes, and 4 Category 5 hurricanes.

This year, we've had 22 storms (so far).  However, we've only had 8 hurricanes, and only 2 major hurricanes.

It started raining on Sunday and has not stopped, that I know of, since. It’s currently falling at around 2.5” an hour at my house. About 15” of total rainfall in the last 24 hours here. Some Harvey PTSD is definitely kicking in around town. We are due for heavy rain all day today and into tomorrow afternoon-evening.

Things are slowing down in the Atlantic. Paulette did return, but weakly and it looks to meander in the Atlantic and then dissipate. There's always a chance the storms around the Florida Keys can develop a low and turn into something, but right now, not seeing much. It's still the one I'd watch the closest considering its proximity to the US.

• 2 weeks later...

With the warm water ahead and little wind shear, it could become a major hurricane. There are two pieces of good news, though:

Wind shear is expected to pick up in a few days, and waters are 5 - 10 degrees cooler by the coast of Louisiana/Mississippi. So even if it becomes a major hurricane, it shouldn't rapidly intensify as it nears as Laura/Michael did.

Looks like Delta is going to make landfall less than 30 miles from where Laura did last month. A friend of mine who does disaster response work and lives in Lake Charles said this to me when I checked on him: “In a strange way, it’s for the best. Not much to destroy so soon after  Laura leveled the area.“

• 4 weeks later...