~2020 Hurricane Season Thread~

@SaysWho?

Any idea why the NHC cone seems much further east of all the major models? Looks to me like the consensus overnight turned into a landfall between Houston and Beaumont and the NHC charts still suggest the Texas/Louisiana border in the likelier location of official landfall.

17 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

@SaysWho?

Any idea why the NHC cone seems much further east of all the major models? Looks to me like the consensus overnight turned into a landfall between Houston and Beaumont and the NHC charts still suggest the Texas/Louisiana border in the likelier location of official landfall.

Sharpie magic?

1 hour ago, sblfilms said:

@SaysWho?

Nearly every model I'm looking at, from the global models like Euro/GFS to the HWRF/HMON, has it between Texas/Louisiana. And I think the UK was the same earlier when I saw it. What are you looking at?

4 hours ago, sblfilms said:

Houston continues to be within the cone of uncertainty. Went through our hurricane box this morning to make sure we have all the things we typically need.

That's easy. All you need is some flashlights, some water and the SSD/HDD that contains tenet. :sun:

• Haha 1

As of 8am, Laura is the first major hurricane of the season. It's an interesting season because it's outpacing the record 2005 season (the one with Katrina and Rita and Wilma, the only year we went into the Greek alphabet, and a season when a tropical cyclone made landfall in Spain). But that season had TWO major hurricanes (Dennis at Cat 4 and Emily at Cat 5) in July, which is unheard of, so in terms of ACE (accumulated cyclone energy), it's still more active than 2020. We'll see what the next few weeks bring.