Phantasy Star Online 2: New Genesis [June 9, 2021] - Version 2 Coming June 7!

Keyser_Soze

9 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

Ah okay, thank you, that helps straighten things out. Nice to get PSO2 OG, but with just like a year or two apart in release I feel like New Genesis will streamroll PSO2?

I think they really brought PSO2 over to gauge interest in the game, and when tons of people loved it that made it easier to bring a new one out, especially worldwide. Remember Microsoft is helping make this happen it will be Xbox and PC exclusive in America but it will be on Playstation in Japan.

I thing it would be cool if the new one steamrolled the old one but there is a reason they are being hesitant and that's some people don't like to jump ship with time invested in one product, and maybe they don't like it as much as the new one. Like Final Fantasy 14 is kind of a good example, or maybe why they are hesitant. That game took a whole redesign to get off the ground and I'm sure pretty sure people stuck to FF11 in the meantime

In any case, don't worry about the old version if you're new to the game, just play the new version!

• Thanks 1

• Keyser_Soze changed the title to New Genesis Phantasy Star Online 2 [Global Release Date June 9, 2021]
On 6/1/2021 at 10:41 PM, Keyser_Soze said:

For those who didn't want to sit through the previous hour and a half long video, I believe this was at the end of it. It's released separately and maybe will clarify the story for people like @JPDunks4 who were wondering if there was one

I enjoyed that video nWAAAY more than I should have :lol: Didn't know this was free to play. May have to check it out. I played the original on dreamcast TO DEATH.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, skillzdadirecta said:

I enjoyed that video nWAAAY more than I should have :lol: Didn't know this was free to play. May have to check it out. I played the original on dreamcast TO DEATH.

I haven't played any games in the series since, but my brothers and I played local multiplayer and online Phantasy Star Online Episode 1+2 on GameCube through the ethernet port add-on a ton. It was awesome. Never got to Episode III: C.A.R.D. Revolution though I had always intended to and never got to the PC-only expansion Blue Burst, which added an Episode IV. 

Holy shit, if you are on an Xbox Series S/X, be careful with the graphics settings. I maxed everything out and the game ran okay on the Series S, but it looked like absolute shit. There was ghosting, weird artifacting in the AA, if you looked up at the clouds it looked all grainy and shitty, etc.

I put it on "Prioritize framerate" which you would think would be the worst graphically, but it actually looks a lot better (runs the same, but looks better). A lot of that weird graphical shit is gone and it actually looks decent.

This game was obviously not optimized for the consoles lol.

This game is really really rough on the console.  Definitely just took the PC version and made it playable.  Probably next to no optimization work on it at all.  I put it on Balanced and turned on 60fps, and played around with a few other graphics options.  It looked okay and did play smooth with the 60fps on.  Controls also feel kinda wonky but maybe tinkering with it a little more will help there too.

I'm not sure how much time I'll realistically put into this, but will prob download on PC too.

3 hours ago, JPDunks4 said:

This game is really really rough on the console.  Definitely just took the PC version and made it playable.  Probably next to no optimization work on it at all.  I put it on Balanced and turned on 60fps, and played around with a few other graphics options.  It looked okay and did play smooth with the 60fps on.  Controls also feel kinda wonky but maybe tinkering with it a little more will help there too.

I'm not sure how much time I'll realistically put into this, but will prob download on PC too.

Yeah, I tinkered with it as well... but I'll be honest, the Blackwood expansion just released for ESO and I'm much more likely to hop back into that.... especially since it will be getting Series S/X optimization next week.

I played a fair amount of this. I was trying to get past the part that was in the beta but there turned out to be a lot more content. :p  I'm enjoying it though.

15 hours ago, XxEvil AshxX said:

Holy shit, if you are on an Xbox Series S/X, be careful with the graphics settings. I maxed everything out and the game ran okay on the Series S, but it looked like absolute shit. There was ghosting, weird artifacting in the AA, if you looked up at the clouds it looked all grainy and shitty, etc.

Yes, this is also something I commented on in the beta, I'm not sure what it is but it's on PC too. I think it's a strange anti-aliasing method plus something else. The game looks pretty crisp if AA is off, but of course there is tons of aliasing, turn it on and the whole picture just looks blurry.

Since this game is going to be a long running thing (hopefully) I hope they fix up some of these graphical things because I think it looks mostly good. They obviously put a lot of priority on the character models, the lighting is great, the environments look ok and of course the weird shimmery stuff.

Biggest issue for me was the lag (or random framerate dips?). Lag up the ass all over the place ugggh. Also, I swore this was a thing in the beta but I am pretty sure the lock on moved to the next character in the beta. It's kind of annoying to have to keep locking on to every enemy after one is defeated.

58 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

I played a fair amount of this. I was trying to get past the part that was in the beta but there turned out to be a lot more content. :p  I'm enjoying it though.

Yes, this is also something I commented on in the beta, I'm not sure what it is but it's on PC too. I think it's a strange anti-aliasing method plus something else. The game looks pretty crisp if AA is off, but of course there is tons of aliasing, turn it on and the whole picture just looks blurry.

Since this game is going to be a long running thing (hopefully) I hope they fix up some of these graphical things because I think it looks mostly good. They obviously put a lot of priority on the character models, the lighting is great, the environments look ok and of course the weird shimmery stuff.

Ship 4?

Just now, skillzdadirecta said:

I thought you guys said Ship 2! :angry:

It was full most of the day so we moved to 4.

I got to Lvl 6.  Still don't understand a lot of the systems in the game.  Some of the core things I enjoy about RPGs, like finding loot that changes the look of my character, is sorely missing here.  Armor is just 3 slots to add mods.  You seem to start with a full range of skills, and the Skill Tree's don't seem all that deep, at least early on. 

I'll try to put some time into it but so far it's not really grabbing me as an RPG.  Combat is decently fun though, and it runs well enough on PC.

1 minute ago, JPDunks4 said:

It was full most of the day so we moved to 4.

I got to Lvl 6.  Still don't understand a lot of the systems in the game.  Some of the core things I enjoy about RPGs, like finding loot that changes the look of my character, is sorely missing here.  Armor is just 3 slots to add mods.  You seem to start with a full range of skills, and the Skill Tree's don't seem all that deep, at least early on. 

I'll try to put some time into it but so far it's not really grabbing me as an RPG.  Combat is decently fun though, and it runs well enough on PC.

Ok cool. I can create a new character and start there. I didn't get very far and not really liking my character's look. What class did you go with?

19 minutes ago, JPDunks4 said:

The systems are a bit obtuse but unlike the beta I feel like this one is trying hard to teach your the subsystems. I was able to figure out the upgrades and skill system on my own last time but I had no idea that holding shift gave you while new types of attacks or holding down one of the abilities charged it up. This game tells you that early on.