Avowed (first-person RPG set in Pillars of Eternity world, Fall 2024) - interviews with game director Carrie Patel and gameplay director Gabe Paramo

Pikachu

Looks interesting but worried that it might be another TOW situation where it just fails in comparison to the games it is "ripping-off". Only First Person Perspective isn't something I want to see either. Melee and FPP almost never mix well. 

Edit: It seems like it is First Person only and that kills my hype. Not that I had any at this point.

• True 1

9 minutes ago, Bacon said:

Looks interesting but worried that it might be another TOW situation where it just fails in comparison to the games it is "ripping-off". Only First Person Perspective isn't something I want to see either. Melee and FPP almost never mix well. 

Well, it very well could come out before the next Elder Scrolls game, lol.

4 hours ago, Emperor Diocletian II said:

Oh, this is set in the same world as Pillars of Eternity, huh?

That’s the part that greatly interests me. I finished Pillars 2 just a few weeks ago. I’m looking forward to more rpg in this universe. I wish they had a follow up in Tyranny’s universe as well, but Paradox has some of the IP I think. 

My first thought was that the graphical quality gives me some hope that they're staring over with their engine, but after looking it up I had no idea that Outer worlds was build in UE4. Apparently Obsidian can hardly stand to make a game with the same engine twice. Kind of amazing and hilarious that they successfully ported so much jank over to UE4.

I really hope that this isn't just "Obsidian does Elder Scrolls." I think they're talented enough devs that they could stray from the formula sufficiently and come up with something worthwhile. They don't need to completely re-invent the genre, just step away from the Elder Scrolls/Fallout formula that we've been seeing since 2002.

49 minutes ago, TwinIon said:

My first thought was that the graphical quality gives me some hope that they're staring over with their engine, but after looking it up I had no idea that Outer worlds was build in UE4. Apparently Obsidian can hardly stand to make a game with the same engine twice. Kind of amazing and hilarious that they successfully ported so much jank over to UE4.

I really hope that this isn't just "Obsidian does Elder Scrolls." I think they're talented enough devs that they could stray from the formula sufficiently and come up with something worthwhile. They don't need to completely re-invent the genre, just step away from the Elder Scrolls/Fallout formula that we've been seeing since 2002.

I agree with all of this. Obsidian is interesting - they are a company always emulating other companies. Their first game, KOTOR II, and their second game, Neverwinter Nights 2, were both emulating Bioware. Then, after Alpha Protocol, they emulated Bethesda with Fallout: New Vegas. Right afterward, they emulated Gas Powered Games with Dungeon Siege III. They've begun to forge their own path since with South Park: The Stick of Truth, Pillars of Eternity I + II, SkyForge, and Tyranny, but after playing The Outer Worlds, which was good, but not great, that game felt a lot like it was emulating Bethesda's Fallout model. 

This is no slight against them, I think they outdo the originals in some cases with their version of the IP, but I also agree that I am interested in Avowed but I don't want it to just be "Obsidian does Bethesda's Elder Scrolls" because that wasn't so great for The Outer Worlds. 

17 hours ago, Bacon said:

Edit: It seems like it is First Person only and that kills my hype. Not that I had any at this point.

I hope every game ever made has first person melee.

• 1 year later...
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Avowed (Obsidian's first-person RPG set in Pillars of Eternity world) - update: described as "The Outer Worlds Meets Pillars of Eternity", currently in "pre-production" phase (Windows Central)
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Avowed (Obsidian's first-person RPG set in Pillars of Eternity world) - update: described as "The Outer Worlds Meets Pillars of Eternity", currently "deep in pre-production" phase (Windows Central)
  • 1 year later...
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Avowed (Obsidian's first-person RPG set in Pillars of Eternity world) - update: Xbox Showcase 2023 Official Gameplay Trailer, PC Gamer article

When Avowed was first announced with a CGI trailer back in 2020, the headlines and discussions that it sparked all pointed to one specific game: Skyrim. Even though the teaser didn't give away much, the similarities were clear. First-person view; a sword in the right hand, a spell in the left. Surely this was Obsidian's take on an enormous Bethesda-style RPG?

And yes, it turns out that was the plan—at least at first. "Originally we were pitching, in essence, our Skyrim," confirms Obsidian CEO Feargus Urquhart in an exclusive interview with PC Gamer.

But that is not what Avowed, as it currently exists, is going to be. "I think over the course of time as we worked on it… Bethesda makes an awesome Skyrim. Mojang makes an awesome Minecraft, and Turn10 makes awesome racing games," says Urquhart, referencing a handful of Obsidian's sister studios at Microsoft. "What we do is we make our awesome RPGs, right?"

The feeling, then, was that Obsidian were better served not following Bethesda's example of a grand, open world, but instead staying true to what an Obsidian game should be. "That's when we backed up and said again: What are we good at? What's our lane?" That core, for Urquhart, is Obsidian's dedication to storytelling. "Outer Worlds is the greatest, latest example of that, and even Pillars. Pillars is less linear than Outer Worlds, but it's still a game that has you go through a story. And [Pillars of Eternity] 2 was even less linear, but still again you have this core story as you're going."

p6AqywePUngnoHvP5CtryH-1200-80.png
WWW.PCGAMER.COM

Obsidian spills the first details on combat, magic, character-building, and how important companions are to the story.

For just a moment, Avowed looks like any other fantasy RPG—swords and shields, shiny armor and helmets with those funny little nose guards. Then the dual-wielded flintlock pistols show up. And the fungus-infected bear. And the Willy Wonka-ass mushrooms. Obsidian was once the RPG studio that played in other developers' sandboxes, but with Avowed it's getting to paint the world it created for Pillars of Eternity on a far bigger canvas—one in which you're, well, kind of the asshole.

Okay okay, that's not quite fair—you don't have to be an asshole. But you do have to be an outsider, Avowed director Carrie Patel told me in an exclusive interview ahead of Avowed's reveal on Sunday.

As the game begins, your character arrives in a remote corner of the world of Eora called the Living Lands as an envoy of the Aedyr Empire, where you've been sent to investigate a mysterious plague. "Not everybody in the Living Lands is super thrilled to have an imperial presence in this far-flung land," she said. "So adventure ensues."

• Like 1

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Avowed (Obsidian's first-person RPG set in Pillars of Eternity world) - Official Gameplay Trailer (Xbox Games Showcase 2023), PC Gamer article
Avowed-Combat-01-ea27b5cda73998bbbc93.jp
NEWS.XBOX.COM

We at Obsidian Entertainment know players have been anticipating an updated look at Avowed and we’re excited to show off what we’ve been working on with a first-ever gameplay trailer today at Xbox Games Showcase 2023.   Expanding the universe that we created for the original Pillars of Eternity games, Avowed brings a new perspective, a […]

Expanding the universe that we created for the original Pillars of Eternity games, Avowed brings a new perspective, a new way to fight, and a new land to explore in the world of Eora. The Pillars games are near and dear to us and we can’t wait to share Avowed with everyone next year.  

In Avowed, you’ll explore the Living Lands, a plagued, wild island set in the world of Eora. The Living Lands are full of mysteries and secrets, danger and adventure, and choice and consequences. 

Unique to the world of Eora, the Living Lands is home to bustling port towns and rolling hills adorned with weird and fantastical plant life. Every part of the Living Lands is home to its own ecosystem. Around every corner there are creatures, sentient mushrooms, or tribes of lizard-like Xaurips looking to make you their next meal…  

As with all our past RPGs, the companions in Avowed play a major role in your adventure. The first companion you will find is Kai, the narrator of this gameplay trailer. Kai is a Coastal Aumaua currently residing in the Living Lands and is one of the only friendly faces you’ll find here. He is a former soldier, and his idealistic and pragmatic temperament will help guide you as you venture out into this wild frontier.  

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Avowed (Obsidian's first-person RPG set in Pillars of Eternity world, 2024) - Official Gameplay Trailer (Xbox Games Showcase 2023), PC Gamer and Xbox Wire articles
  • 7 months later...