Should schools reopen before the pandemic abates?

Should schools reopen before the pandemic abates?  

40 members have voted

1. 1. Should schools reopen before the pandemic abates?

• Yes
    • No

I only voted yes because schools are opening weather we want them too or not (and the pandemic won't be abating any time soon).  I see this as an opportunity to advocate to pump money into the school systems.  Personally I think the students that must/can stay home and distance learn should do so.  And that may allow some younger children (several studies from EU countries saying that under 10 are far less likely to contract and spread) and older kids who need more in person learning can safely distance/rotate.  Our family is in the situation where we have a 3 year old foster child in our home who has cerebral palsy, so we are going to keep our older biological daughter home for at least the first half of the school year.  Also the foster child was supposed to start school this fall and many of her services change from early intervention therapies to the school system, so trying to sort all of that out is not easy either.

Well, It happened yesterday and I missed the news... but St. Louis County basically axed all youth sports.

Only 10 kids allowed on a field or court (or rink I suppose) at a time. No playing other teams. No fans in the stands.

I'm actually relieved that the decision has been made for me. This was the right call but it SUCKS.

I'm sure they will launch some sort of super toned down hockey thing and we will probably participate in that.

I got this news via an email from our league as my son was skating for the first time in 4 months. I think that's the longest he's gone without touching ice in 5 years (and he's 10).

2 minutes ago, SimpleG said:

Are people just catching on to this?

I saw somebody else mention and, yeah, all his telltale traits emerge over time. He can’t help himself.

24 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

Golf and disc golf are about to become the most popular sports on the continent.

I play tennis 3x a week. Best social distance sport. I'm never anywhere near my opponent (in either distance or score; I'm awful at the game but I love playing). 

7 minutes ago, johnny said:

Nobody would even care if he just came back as himself idk why he gotta do this 

4 minutes ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

I remember the general "why" but absolutely 0 of the specifics of why he left. Not saying this for people to start talking about them but to illustrate my agreement with your statement.

If he was willing to come back as himself, he probably wouldn't have left in the first place.

32 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

This board has a weird obsession with Apoc.

No obsession, just super weird that he keeps making new accounts with new backstories. Pretending to be a minority this time :lol:

20 minutes ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

I can say with some degree of certainty that the current person people think is Apoc and the last person people thought was Apoc are not the same person.

You know, I Apoc, You Apoc, He she me Apoc, Apocing, We'll have thee Apoc, Apocrama, Apocology, The study of Apoc? It's first grade SpongeBob!

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, sblfilms said:

No obsession, just super weird that he keeps making new accounts with new backstories. Pretending to be a minority this time :lol:

2 hours ago, johnny said:

Nobody would even care if he just came back as himself idk why he gotta do this 

You know that's what I said to Biggie. I said hey no one really cares who you are as long as your opinion is genuine. But I guess fake people are ashamed to be themselves or show their real opinions even if everything else about them is fake.

32 minutes ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

I can say with some degree of certainty that the current person people think is Apoc and the last person people thought was Apoc are not the same person.

Still up in the air for me. He still hadn't really shown his true self and seemed mostly normal until he started getting aggressive and wanting to shoot cops with his gun and stuff like that.

But it doesn't seem like classic Apoc who would make absolute statements and talk down other people who had a different one.

3 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Still up in the air for me. He still hadn't really shown his true self and seemed mostly normal until he started getting aggressive and wanting to shoot cops with his gun and stuff like that.

But it doesn't seem like classic Apoc who would make absolute statements and talk down other people who had a different one.

I should have been a bit more specific that using some of the moderator tools is what makes me as certain as I am. Still not 100% BH and the other aren't the same person but it's still a pretty high certainty.

9 minutes ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

I should have been a bit more specific that using some of the moderator tools is what makes me as certain as I am. Still not 100% BH and the other aren't the same person but it's still a pretty high certainty.

Well I got the gist of what you were saying. I know mods have the ability to check IPs and such. :p

22 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

They are shooting 5G through our monitors to control our minds.

And Bill Gates is pushing legislation for mandatory microchips in our bodies through the COVID vaccine.  They want to control us mentally and physically.  RESIST!

Gates needs to be Anti-trusted, because he's the Anti-Christ!

Remember when Internet Explorer was split from Microsoft's Windows OS?  Gates' wanted it included because he wanted to explore our children; IT'S IN THE NAME: Internet Explorer = I explore teen ren.  But we won that battle, RESIST EVIL TOM MARVOLO RIDDLE!

WE NEED TO ARM THE POLICE WITH TANKS SO THEY CAN PROTECT US FROM THIS MADNESS@!  

GATES AND FAUCI ARE PROFITING FROM THE SHUTDOWN.

PRETTY SURE I SAW THEM PICK UP A PENNY OFF THE FLOOR SO NO DOUBT THEY'RE CAUSING THE COIN SHORTAGE.  

THEY WANT US TO BE COMPLETELY ELECTRONIC.  MORE ELECTRICITY = MORE 5G = MORE MONITORS.  OUR FREEDOM IS BEING DESTROYED! SAY #NOTHANKYOU TO CASHLESS

THEY CAUSED THE TOILET PAPER SHORTAGE TO ENFORCE THEIR FAKE SOCIAL DISTANCING RULES.  EVERYONE WILL STAY 6FT OR FURTHER AWAY FROM PEOPLE WHO CAN'T WIPE THEIR ASS.

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, cusideabelincoln said:

Mods can see everything you do because of that screen you're staring into.  It's called a "monitor" because it monitors what you do!

This is why I put duct tape over my entire screen. Good luck seeing me now, pervs! 

Online learning works for children that engage with it, but as a teacher you can’t make the day-to-day assessments you need to gauge pupil progress. It’s not a long term solution and you’d think the US would look at how the UK has approached reopening schools whilst the pandemic continues. There are however significant issues for children that were already progressing more slowly than their peers or children at risk who have no support.

EDIT: when you write a post replying to the OP and not the third page comments...

We can't open them right now. If we had done our job in April and May and had a mandatory mask mandate, we could explore options.

Certain states and areas may be able to experiment with limited in school options, but it needs to be done very carefully. In Texas, it isn't an option. It's completely out of control here.

We just officially opted out of the first semester of school. Online learning for us. This was not a choice made lightly and is weighing very heavily on my soul.

This whole situation SUCKS.

Being a parent during this SUCKS.

Online leanring SUCKS.

But I know in my heart that society going back to school right now is NOT the correct thing to be doing so I can't in good conscious participate in that nonsense. Most other parents are opting for a hybrid return... but I have a hunch that school will not be starting up in a month and if it actually does, I give schools a month or two tops before they start shutting down all across the country due to outbreaks.

Every choice sucks. Everthing about this sucks. Working from home full time in a high paced stressful detail oriented job while trying to facilitate the online learning of my two children is close to an impossible task as I learned in the spring... and I just willfully signed up for at least 4 more months of it. Ugh...

• Thanks 1