Denis Villeneuve strikes back at Christopher Nolan and other elitists: It's okay to watch movies on your phone

Well he didn't say that directly, but:

https://www.indiewire.com/2020/07/villeneuve-deakins-traumatized-terrence-malick-film-iphone-1234573031/

denis-villeneuve-roger-deakins-700x303.j

The “Sicario” and “Blade Runner 2049” director revealed on a recent episode of the “Talking Deakins” podcast that he once left Roger Deakins horrified by having Terrence Malick films downloaded to his iPhone. While Villeneuve says the big screen experience is “the ultimate experience,” he also embraces the accessibility that comes with watching films on iPhones and/or computers.

“Roger made jokes about my iPhone,” Villeneuve said. “For people who don’t know. Roger was traumatized that I had ‘The Thin Red Line’ from Terrence Malick on my iPhone and Roger thought it was horrific. Me, I thought it was cool because I could take the movie with me. It’s not the same, but the thing is…I want to fight for the big screen, but a lot of my cinematic experiences have actually been on television.”

I love Denis more and more. Yes, of course I love the experience of watching a movie on a big screen with great sound...but the best media is the one you can experience when you want to. If I'm on a plane, I am okay with watching my favourite movie on my phone.

Yeah, I think the cinematic experience is still important and meaningful, and especially the first time I see a movie I would prefer to see it on the big screen, but watching movies on a computer/tablet/phone is no great sin. Speaking of Villeneuve, I have digital copies of Arrival and Blade Runner 2049, and I love that I can just download those onto my phone and watch bits of them whenever. 

Growing up poor, I almost never went to a movie theater as a kid. When I did it was at a rundown fifty cent theater. Cinema for me was mostly watching VHS tapes on a 32” RCA. And that was ok. There is room for many ways to enjoy filmmaking.

I do also understand the perspective of a Roger Deakins who pours so much artistry into his work in film to see that there are many people now watching his work in a format that does make it harder to appreciate.

I love the cinematic experience, but in the end, accessibility is good for everyone. I watched a lot of great movies on terrible screens in college, but the screen quality didn't diminish my appreciation for those films. If anything, it made me want to see more, bigger, and better. 

Now, I do think it's silly when people watch a movie in bed on their iPhone instead of on their TV in the next room, but to each their own.

Still, it's not like the hardcore folks like Nolan and QT are really taking anything away from anyone. If Nolan didn't make his films available broadly, that would be one thing. He can spend all his free time screaming the gospel of theaters from the rooftops, as long as I still have access to the content.

50 minutes ago, TwinIon said:

I love the cinematic experience, but in the end, accessibility is good for everyone. I watched a lot of great movies on terrible screens in college, but the screen quality didn't diminish my appreciation for those films. If anything, it made me want to see more, bigger, and better. 

Now, I do think it's silly when people watch a movie in bed on their iPhone instead of on their TV in the next room, but to each their own.

Still, it's not like the hardcore folks like Nolan and QT are really taking anything away from anyone. If Nolan didn't make his films available broadly, that would be one thing. He can spend all his free time screaming the gospel of theaters from the rooftops, as long as I still have access to the content.

This. Watching on a smaller and smaller screen objectively diminishes the experience, and if one has the option to watch it in their TV room but out of sheer laziness chooses their phone, that strikes me as bizarre. But one takes what they can get - you watch when you can watch on what you can watch it on.

10 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

This. Watching on a smaller and smaller screen objectively diminishes the experience, and if one has the option to watch it in their TV room but out of sheer laziness chooses their phone, that strikes me as bizarre. But one takes what they can get - you watch when you can watch on what you can watch it on.

This guy loves calling people lazy. 

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, ManUtdRedDevils said:

This guy loves calling people lazy. 

A lot of people are, objectively. It's really quite sad. I don't "love" doing anything - I wish the world and humans were better. It's sad because I want for more, not because I want things to be as they are (aka shitty). People are lazy, dumb, and typically make wrong-headed choices.