A take: Nintendo’s online service is superior to all others

Chris-

First off, Tetris 99 is the best free game that has been released through any of them. 

Second, it is the most unassuming service for people who are tired of juvenile bullshit. I don’t have to use some dumb username that I immediately regret making; rather I just get to use my name, or whatever other mundane name I give to my console profile. I don’t have to keep track of some stupid headset that is consistently on the verge of breaking (I must have went through three of the OG XBL headsets thanks to how flimsy that clip was); instead I just open an app on my phone, which is easy and simple. I don’t have to deal with any 15 year olds yelling and playing music into their headset, then fumble through menus to mute them; I can’t hear them by default!

For what the Switch is and the types of games it has, its online service is the perfect match and extremely good. I will absolutely die on this hill. 

The actual online part is pretty shit tho. Or that is what I have heard anyway. Hear people complain about SSBU's lag often enough. 

When it comes to the services, I think Xbox with their Game Pass + Gold is the best. Nintendo hasn't brought anything to the table for me. I really don't care about their NES/SNES thingy. Same content since the Wii and they still only have a small fraction of the VC. When it comes the the "not wanting to deal with 15 year olds yelling" can't you just mute all voice chat in the system settings? I think you can with the Xbox One. I think even setting it to just friends is an option, but maybe I am wrong. Haven't had an X1 since after Halo 5 launched. 

5 minutes ago, Chris- said:

Where's the lack of coherence though? There's a friends list! There's a voice chat app! It's all there.

There are many games (some patched) where what you do in one is not the same you do in the other to play games in multiplayer. On top of that you shouldn't need to do voice chat through a seperate app then the actual system itself which has a mic. There has also consistently been games that offer multiplayer but don't allow multiplayer with people on your friends list (again some got patched).

Also, the voice chat app is bad for someone like me who uses headphones. You should not have to use a separate device to talk to people if you wanted to. Like, I don't know how many times I loaded just went online to talk to friends. I didn't have a phone or PC back then and so Voice Chat on XBL was the only way I could talk to them. If is great you don't want to talk to anybody, but that doesn't make it a good thing. 

14 minutes ago, Bacon said:

hen it comes the the "not wanting to deal with 15 year olds yelling" can't you just mute all voice chat in the system settings? I think you can with the Xbox One. I think even setting it to just friends is an option, but maybe I am wrong.

You can set it to friends only 

1 hour ago, Keyser_Soze said:

He's admitting it's not free but he's saying it's not $60 dollars.

It's $60 Manufactuer's Suggested Retail Price.  Just like most other things you can buy game-related, you can typically find deeper discounts than the MSRP.

Neither the MSRP or CDkeys pricing is $0.  So it really doesn't make a difference.  Just him splitting hairs over something I never implied, about what a suggested price means.

13 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

It's $60 Manufactuer's Suggested Retail Price.  Just like most other things you can buy game-related, you can typically find deeper discounts than the MSRP.

Neither the MSRP or CDkeys pricing is $0.  So it really doesn't make a difference.  Just him splitting hairs over something I never implied, about what a suggested price means.

Clearly this is your first time getting Therock'd