Weird West - Information Thread, update: "Plague Community Event + Roadmap Reveal" video

Pikachu

Survive and unveil the mysteries of the Weird West through the intertwined destinies of its unusual heroes in an immersive sim from the co-creators of Dishonored and Prey.

Discover a dark fantasy reimagining of the Wild West where lawmen and gunslingers share the frontier with fantastical creatures. Journey through the origin stories of a group of atypical heroes, written into legend by the decisions you make in an unforgiving land. Each journey is unique and tailored to the actions taken - a series of high stakes stories where everything counts and the world reacts to the choices you make. Form a posse or venture forth alone into an otherworldly confines of the Weird West and make each legend your own.

Weird West: Making an Immersive Sim From With a Distributed Team, and Without Chris Avellone (USgamer)

I spoke with Colantonio after the Devolver showcase to dive into the ways in which Weird West does differ from his work at Arkane: how he's adjusting to WolfEye's distributed team, embracing a focus on consequences for player actions, and what it means for Colantonio, personally, to also be making music for the game with his bandmate Ava Gore. Colantonio also sheds a bit of light on the role that prolific game writer Chris Avellone had earlier in Weird West's development, which ended before multiple women came forward to accuse Avellone of sexual misconduct last month.

• 1 year later...

A bunch of new previews just released:

6wdPc8ek4rELuHCsphwJ6i-1200-80.jpg
WWW.PCGAMER.COM

A new perspective on immersive sims doesn't shrink Weird West's scope.

What convinced me Weird West is a true immersive sim had nothing to do with the carefully prepared talking points from a recent 30-minute hands-off demo. While former Arkane founder Raphael Colantonio explains the finesse of the physics system, showing off by tossing a bottle and shooting it out of the air, a better, if slightly less elegant example comes along. 

weird_west1.jpg
WWW.ROCKPAPERSHOTGUN.COM

Immersive sim Weird West is looking ambitious, slick, and deeply sinister. Here's our impressions so far, following a hands-off demo session.

Despite my early presumptions, there's no tongue in cheek element to Weird West's horror at all. It plays things completely straight on that front, and even watching someone else play, I got a strong sense of how unsettling and sinister the game's world was to inhabit.

When I asked the developers which particular westerns they had drawn inspiration from in building the game world, I already half-knew they were going to cite Bone Tomahawk. This was both a good and a bad thing. Because while I would contend that Bone Tomahawk is, honestly, a masterful piece of direction and an extremely effective film, it's also utterly fucking horrible. Seriously. Whether it's the hideous gore, or the extremely uncomfortable take on the Western genre's historic portrayal of Native Americans (I've seen the argument made that it's not, in fact, a racist film, but I'm emphatically unconvinced), Bone Tomahawk is the very opposite of easy watching. Still, like I say, for whatever value you choose to attach to it, it's a movie with one hell of a powerful atmosphere.

If Weird West can carry some of that potency, as I've already seen it do, without becoming quite as brutally distasteful on its descent into horror, I think it could be something really special. Even - and indeed especially - if I choose to play it as a game about carrying dead wolves about the place.

All of this is wrapped up in an indelible setting. Weird West leans into a dark, mystic slice of Americana — think Garth Ennis' Preacher comics, or Red Dead Redemption II at its spookiest. Yes, there is a John Wayne veneer over the proceedings, but there also appears to be eldritch cultists and ravenous specters afoot. I mean, one of the playable characters is a man with a pig's head. It's as if all of the mysteries and tall tales of the untamed prairies suddenly came to life.

The longer I watched Weird West in action, the more it brought to mind the wonderfully eccentric Divinity: Original Sin franchise. These are two very different games — Weird West plays in real time, for one — but both wish to emphasize the player's profound impact on the surrounding environment. WolfEye told me that when it's raining in their game, you can watch as empty barrels slowly fill up with water. A minor detail, probably, but still emblematic of the experience the studio wants to create. This west needs saving, and we're going to use everything in our arsenal to see it through.

weird-west-fallout-isometric-immersive-s
WWW.PCGAMESN.COM

And Dark Messiah fans will love the kick

Those specks of RPG DNA are reflected in developer Wolfeye Studio’s own assessment of Weird West, which it places between Skyrim and Arx Fatalis on its continuum of the immersive sim genre, with open-ended gameplay and a much more open structure than games like Dishonored and Bioshock. It’s worth pointing out that Wolfeye’s 25-person dev team consists of 15 former Arkane devs, many of whom have worked on Prey, Dishonored, Arx Fatalis, and – as evidenced by the bounty hunter’s kicking prowess – Dark Messiah. “We love kicking things,” Colantonio says. “It’s expressive, what can I say?”

mc68BVYULEnZsW4VkUVpfc-1200-80.jpg
WWW.GAMESRADAR.COM

WolfEye Studios plans to bring chaotic cowboy energy to action RPGs

From Colantonio's background at Arkane, you might be expecting Weird West to look like Dishonored or Prey. Instead, it reminds me most of Divinity Original Sin 2, a top-down world where all the items you can see dotted around the world can be interacted with. Whether or not they're useful to you depends on your ingenuity, but the experimental and item hoarders are going to have a wild ride. For everyone else, there's so much story leaking out of every pore, you're going to get lost in the world with the rest of us. "Immersive sim is more than a genre, it's a set of values," says Colantonio. 

ritual3.jpg
WWW.DIGITALTRENDS.COM

Weird West is an upcoming RPG that gives players the freedom to choose how they survive in the wild west.

This became evidently clear when we experienced our first combat encounter. The devs ran across a walled-off town filled with ne’er-do-wells that are aligned with sirens. Yes, actual sirens. Once a cutscene wrapped up, I saw how many options that players will have in Weird West. In broad strokes, each conflict can be resolved using combat or stealth. However, these two broad options branch out wildly for players. You can enter the town guns blazing and try to shoot your way through every single enemy. Alternately, you can maintain your range and pick them off one at a time. You can even subdue the guards and start to sneak in by hiding behind objects. Or you can locate boxes and stack them up so you can climb over the wall and avoid the starting guards completely.

That’s what makes Weird West compelling. Sure, dark magic, strange cryptids, and a leveling system are interesting in and of themselves, but those are just tools to play around in the open playground that Wolfeye presents. Every conflict scenario in this game can be approached multiple ways and the true joy is finding one or two ways that you have fun doing.

ww8.jpg
WWW.COMINGSOON.NET

Weird West is, like its name implies an odd Western, and it's made from a few of the same minds who created the Dishonored games. And while it is in a different genre, it wants to have the same immersive sim qualities.

Weird West is a lot to take in and, frankly, isn’t a type of game that demos well in small doses. Games like this thrive on seeing their multiple options clash and play out over a period of time. Showing that off in a limited, hands-off setting is tough since it truncates the freedom that sits at its core along with any possible payoffs that might happen later on. Weird West has the potential to be a deep action RPG with many interlocking systems as it has talent experienced in that field behind, but it’s going to hard to see how wild this West is until it comes out later this year.

Weird-West-Bounty-Hunter-Shooting.jpg
SCREENRANT.COM

Weird West is an immersive sim full of intrigue.

WolfEye's entire focus with Weird West is to create a sandbox where players can find new ways to express themselves as they explore the frontier. Similar to how previous games the studio's staff has worked on saw players coming up with new ways to do things the developers didn't even realize would, so too does Weird West give players that opportunity while telling an intriguing western mystery that aims to subvert the cliches of the genre.

Ritual-1.png
WWW.THEGAMER.COM

Weird West is a game where you can bury your kid, dig up your kid, and run around with the bones of your kid.

All of that is captured with a striking, comic panel art style. The action takes place from above, but you have free control over the camera. It plays like a twin-stick shooter, but there’s verticality to consider, and you’re free to clamber over rooftops and parkour your way across them. The action looks immediate and satisfying - it’s so slick that you can throw a glass bottle and shoot it out of the air. It even has a Max Payne-style bullet-time dive, allowing you to slow down time and riddle an enemy with bullets while dodging.

Of course, being a game by Arkane Studios veterans, stealth is also an option here. You can throw distractions, slice necks, hide bodies, and skulk through bushes before getting the drop on your enemies. One section I’m shown sees our hero assaulting a compound. The first time, the developer goes in guns-blazing. The second time, they skulk around the perimeter looking for an opening. I see about four obvious entry points, but the dev chooses to pick up a barrel, plonk it down next to the wall, and infiltrate by climbing on top and jumping over. All the elements you’d expect from a traditional immersive sim are here - believable physics, NPCs with schedules, unconventional solutions, interlocking systems, and a world that constantly surprises. It’s just a different perspective. Oh, and it’s fucking weird.

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Weird West (immersive sim set in dark fantasy Wild West from ex-Arkane devs) - Information Thread, update: new previews/screenshots posted
  • 2 months later...
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Weird West (immersive sim set in dark fantasy Wild West from ex-Arkane devs, 11 January 2022) - Information Thread, update: "Road to Weird West: Episode 1" video
kkyNxRo8iGkhpXYxJk7vwf-1200-80.jpg
WWW.PCGAMER.COM

Hands-on with the first game from Arkane's co-founder since he formed a new studio.

One grisly stop on a trek through the first of five chapters in Weird West will remind you of what was so scarce in its most recent contemporary, Arkane Studios' Deathloop. Both are immersive sims by definition, but with different goals: Deathloop was about harnessing an unwieldy system, whereas Weird West is about living in it.

Early in Weird West, for example, I sauntered across a coven ritual. The witches asked me to leave them alone, but before I could walk away, their ritual succeeded. A horde of undead and their ghastly leader poured out of the summoning circle. The sisters were prepared for it. They had guns and they took care of the abominations like it was a Monday. I just watched.

This event, like some others I experienced in a preview version of Weird West's first act, unfolded without any input from me. Deathloop's inhabitants also go about their days without you, but little of consequence happens without your intervention. You rarely get to stand back and watch everything play out, taking note of the places you could have intervened but didn't.

The Weird West is a brutal place to live. The prairie boomtowns are overrun with bloodthirsty outlaws, the vengeful undead are climbing out of their graves, and scheming witches are brewing dark magic on the outskirts of society. A heavy, dirgeful soundtrack follows the player everywhere as they cash in bounties, stave off the carnivorous wildlife, and stay one step ahead of everyone who wants to see them dead. In Wolfeye Studios' debut game, everyone is a suspect and nobody should be trusted; good thing you always have your trusty revolver.

Wolfeye Studios is composed of former Arkane veterans, and unsurprisingly, Weird West is steeped in that ill-defined "immersive sim" subgenre emblematized by games like Dishonored and Prey. This is a top-down action-RPG with a huge swathe of incisive, interlocking systems — all working in unison to submerge the player in this perverse interpretation of the American frontier. Weird West has multiple protagonists, but I spent my time with the game under the guise of an amnesiac bounty hunter tracking down her missing husband. You navigate to each encounter by moving from point to point on an all-encompassing map of the backcountry. As players carve through the main quest, they'll stumble into side quests, random encounters, and the occasional mysterious locale off the beaten track. My favorite of those was a band of mysterious cultists guarding a stone temple that seemed to hold some ancient, terrible secrets. It's exactly what you want out of a single-player adventure set in a beguiling, eldritch universe; the feeling that there's always another macabre layer of intrigue left to find.

weird-west-preview-6.jpg
WWW.ROCKPAPERSHOTGUN.COM

After hands on with a preview build of the early part of Weird West, we're rootin' and tootin' for this immersive cowboy RPG more than ever.

It would be wrong to finish without acknowledging the rough edges I did come across, primarily in connection with the enemy AI, which was frankly bizarre at times. Sometimes, the bag-headed bastards of the antagonist Stillwater gang seemed utterly unable to comprehend the death of their comrades, just feet away from where they stood. They appeared so keen to sprint into raging fires, that I almost considered easing off on the incendiaries, purely out of sympathy. Then there was the time when a bloke got stuck inside some wood. And the occasion when, upon exiting a dungeon, I found the surrounding camp’s defenders had all come back to life, and were stood stock still, aiming their guns at the horizon, while I brained them one by one.

I do feel this stuff could use some work. But as you can tell, it didn’t exactly ruin my fun. One of the advantages of a deliberately unnerving setting, I suppose, is the ease with which bugs can be camouflaged as features. The bottom line is, even if the AI remains completely unchanged in the run up to launch, I’ll remain just as keen to jump in and fritter away my hours bedevilling it. And that’s a feeling I’ve not had in a little while.

Weird-West-Key-Art.jpg
SCREENRANT.COM

A strong prospect for prospectors.

Supernatural storytelling in a Wild West setting is often an evocative combination. From DC's Jonah Hex comics through to cult tabletop role-playing games like Deadlands, the Weird Western has seen a lot of success, although video games using the formula have been few and far between. Thankfully, Weird West is making this roster bigger thanks to developer WolfEye.

Weird West is, as the name suggests, a Weird Western game with a semi-open world where its bloodthirsty outlaws are some of the least terrifying things to cross. The player works through the stories of five protagonists with interconnected stories, navigating the title's brutal and fragile setting. The latest preview build takes the player through the story of a retired bounty hunter, brought back into the killing business seeking vengeance.

mc68BVYULEnZsW4VkUVpfc-1200-80.jpg
WWW.GAMESRADAR.COM

Whiffs of Dishonored and Fallout linger in the air around upcoming RPG Weird West

I am getting my ass kicked by undead miners. Time and time again, as I try to travel back to a town called Grackle to cash in on a bounty, I'm interrupted by a trio of zombies hurling sticks of dynamite at me. Time and time again they kill me and I load back up at the last town I was in, just to walk right back into the pyromaniac predators again. I try hurling dynamite at them, hacking them up with a machete, and letting loose a barrage of gunfire from my pistol, but it isn't until I realize my shotgun detonates the dynamite sticks in their decaying hands that I finally best the bastards. This is the world of Weird West, a brutal immersive sim set in a bizarre version of the infamously lawless lands.

It's no surprise that Weird West is so immersive (and so punishing). The top-down, twin-stick shooter RPG is from WolfEye Studios, led by Raphael Colantonio – the former founder, CEO, and creative director of Arkane Studios. Colantonio channeled his love for immersive sims into Arkane games like Dishonored and Prey, but Weird West takes that immersive sim love and adds a healthy dose of top-down RPG flavor reminiscent of Ultima 7 and the original Fallout.

weird-west-hands-on-preview-cowboys-and-
WWW.SHACKNEWS.COM

Weird West blends together the time of cowboys and outlaws with eldritch beings and horrific monsters.

Weird West is an extremely unique take on the Wild West genre. There are cowboys and Native Americans, outlaws and bounty hunters, as well as horses and saloons, but there are also eldritch horrors and cosmic beings plaguing the land. I recently got to spend some hands-on time with WolfEye Studios’ Weird West and I can say that it looks like the game will deliver on both of those: it’s delightfully weird and most certainly a western.

The story in Weird West follows the lives of a handful of different playable characters that all start out as strangers, but whose actions and decisions cause them to converge. For my hands-on preview, I got to experience the opening campaign, the Bounty Hunter’s Journey. This story centers on Jane Bell, an ex-bounty hunter who is suddenly not so much an “ex” and more like an “active” bounty hunter. She dusts off the old iron and starts looking for revenge after some no good folk come into her town, kidnap her husband, and murder her son. Her story weaves through various towns and settlements as she follows any clue that might lead her to her husband.

weird_west_.jpg
WWW.GAMEINFORMER.COM

After going hands-on with Weird West for a couple of hours, it's safe to say we can't wait to further explore this western frontier next year.

Weird West is the upcoming isometric twin-stick shooter from Wolfeye Studios, a relatively new developer headed by former Prey and Dishonored co-creators. It doesn’t take long to feel their immersive sim handprints. In fact, once you’re through the basics of Weird West’s twin-stick shooter action, the same combat scenario experience in games like Dishonored makes an appearance, and it’s a delight. 

Do you go in guns blazing with your shotgun and spray and pray until everyone’s dead? If so, hopefully, you’ve looted some dead coyotes for meat or stocked up on bandages in town. Or do you take a stealthier route? Hopefully, you’ve spotted the poison barrel on the cliff that you can kick onto the enemies below, which damages them and allows you to surprise them with some bullets. 

LOST-FIRE-NATION.jpg
WWW.PCINVASION.COM

In our Weird West preview, I get a little bit too excited talking about this new immersive sim. It's really really really good.

It’s not common that I’m floored by a game just from playing a preview build of it. Weird West‘s creative director is Raphaël Colantonio, who also directed Dishonored and the Prey reboot, in addition to having been the president of Arkane Studios for years. One day, he decided he didn’t want to make AAA games anymore, and so he started his own studio along with former Arkane producer Julien Roby. The unsurprising thing about playing this game is that it’s super easy to see how those guys, with that background, made this game because it’s almost obscenely good, which is exactly how I felt the first time I played Dishonored.

Weird West is described as an immersive sim broken up into several campaigns. I only got to play the Bounty Hunter campaign and it slammed itself into the pleasure centers of my brain with relentless force. This campaign focuses on a retired bounty hunter named Jane. When her home is attacked by the Stillwater Gang, they grab her husband and child. They kill her kid and abscond with her husband, leaving her to dig up her six-shooter and go make them pay. The sheriff of the nearby town shows up and gives you some helpful info and you set out on your way.

weird-west-preview.jpg
WWW.THEGAMER.COM

After just a few hours with it, Weird West is already shaping up to be one of the smartest and brightest games of 2022.

I’ve only played around two hours of Weird West so far. In that time, I have looted three gold dollar coins from a dead man in front of his mourning wife. “Can’t even wait for the body to cool ya scavenging little shit,” she says. I feel bad, so I bury the corpse - turns out she wasn’t ready to say goodbye. I have taken a lantern from a crashed carriage, slinked through dense foliage, chucked it at an oil spill, and watched my enemies flail in fear and fever as their mortality struck like hot iron. I have punched the numbers “0451” into a sequestered safe to access important logs revealing the next known location of my elusive prey - it comes as no surprise that WolfEye Studios boss Raphal Colantonio comes from a background in immersive sim design.

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Weird West (immersive sim set in dark fantasy Wild West from ex-Arkane devs, 11 January 2022) - Information Thread, update: new hands-on previews posted
  • 1 month later...
gkfLjPJvgZmzKDBcv4Pwfn-1200-80.png
WWW.PCGAMER.COM

Immersive sims can be tricky things, and Weird West is no exception.

Weird West, the isometric immersive sim under development at Raphaël Colantonio's WolfEye Studios, has been delayed. Publisher Devolver Digital said beta testing is going very well, but not perfectly well, so instead of arriving in January as planned, it's holding it back until March 31.

"Weird West is incredible (according to beta testers) but needs some wonky moments ironed out (also according to beta testers)!" Devolver tweeted. "WolfEyeGames have made something special, and we want you all to have the best experience at launch."

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Weird West (immersive sim set in dark fantasy Wild West from ex-Arkane devs, 31 March 2022) - Information Thread, update: release postponed to 31 March 2022
  • 3 months later...

Game Information

Game Title: Weird West

Platforms:

• Xbox One (Mar 31, 2022)
  • PlayStation 4 (Mar 31, 2022)
  • PC (Mar 31, 2022)

Developer: WolfEye Studios

Publisher: Devolver Digital

Review Aggregator:

OpenCritic - 76 average - 64% recommended

Critic Reviews
PlayStation Universe - 9.5 / 10

With Weird West, WolfEye has created an ambitious immersive sim hybrid that sucks you ever-deeper into its gritty, bizarre world of the cults n' cowboys like a particularly impatient quicksand. It occasionally struggles to translate its combat to a controller as smoothly as it could, but the rest of this package is so damn intoxicating that it matters little in the long run. A masterful game with a fascinating set of stories to tell.

AusGamers - 9 / 10

It's a place where you can help a fellow in need, or bury him deep beneath snakes -- the choice is yours.

Gamefa - Persian - 9 / 10

If you're interested in Western titles and role-playing games or Immersive Sim, don't miss out on Weird West.

Gamepur - 9 / 10

From the top, Weird West tells you that actions have consequences, and it proves that thesis at every turn. The decisions you make, the laws you break, the lives you take — they all blend together for an exciting, engaging romp in the wild west.

GamingBolt - 9 / 10

Densely packed with ingenious systems, Weird West is a game of endless possibilities that encourages player choice and agency in a way very few other games do, and reacts to your actions across every level of interactivity. Fans of immersive sims and action RPGs won't want to miss this.

Pure Dead Gaming - 9 / 10

Weird West is a fantastic game that offers a ton of choices and consequences and truly allows you to take on the dangers and opportunities just about any way you want.

Pure Xbox - 9 / 10

Weird West is a fantastic debut from Wolfeye Studios, a slick and addictive action-RPG that delivers a top-notch narrative alongside some delightfully chaotic combat in a world that absolutely oozes atmosphere. The Arkane DNA is evident here in the slick selection of powers and abilities, the choice-driven storylines and combat that gives you the tools to experiment, to toy with your enemies and approach problems from multiple angles. Side missions are delightfully well-written, there's a ton of dungeons, looting and crafting to dig into and, beyond a handful of buggy enemy encounters, the whole thing looks, sounds and plays like a dream.

The Outerhaven Productions - 4.5 / 5

Weird West is a fantastic sandbox game that allows gamers to do what they want, complete with an interesting story and fun gameplay mechanics. Now, if only the AI-controller characters and the inventory system were addressed, it would make things better for the players.

TrueAchievements - 9 / 10

With a fantastic roster of stories to play through and characters to interact with, Weird West is sure to please any fan of the Old West. Its mix of fantasy and spaghetti western tropes blends beautifully to create a memorable experience that twists and turns around the believable and magical. While there are a few niggles here and there, the overall experience feels polished throughout and WolfEye's attention to detail is noticeable in all aspects.

WhatIfGaming - 9 / 10

Weird West is an excellent immersive sim that treats players with respect to not only make decisions but live with them. It features an unpredictable world full of danger, mystery, and ultimately, salvation. The overarching narrative with multiple characters ends on a satisfying note leaving possibilities for so much more. It’s brought down by bugs, both big and small that break the illusion of the aforementioned choice, and freedom both in gameplay and narrative.

Gaming Nexus - 8.8 / 10

Weird West is a fun not-quite-RPG that feels like the beginning of a great new franchise. Perfectly enjoyable to play, this first iteration lays a lot of groundwork towards what will likely become an ongoing series. Darkly funny and surprising, each character's story arc is unique and rewarding. While a system of branching choices impacting the game's story feels like a natural evolution from what is here, what is presented is very enjoyable. Weird West creates a universe I don't want to leave. When it was over, I just wanted more - which is the biggest hurdle a new franchise can overcome.

IGN Italy - Italian - 8.6 / 10

Weird West isn't perfect but it's definitely a worthy successor to games like Dishonored and Prey and a great debut title from new team Wolfeye Studios.

Rectify Gaming - 8.6 / 10

Weird West feels like the next step in the immersive sim genre.

Capsule Computers - 8.5 / 10

Weird West is a game that isn't afraid to take risks and it ends up giving you something fresh and unique in the world of isometric RPGs.

Game Informer - 8.5 / 10

Regardless, developer Wolfeye Studios has crafted one hell of a debut release. Weird West subverts expectations, twisting well-trodden cowboy tropes into dark fantasy vignettes brought to life by immersive sandbox elements.

GameGrin - 8.5 / 10

Weird West blends a lawless world of gunslingers with the supernatural to great effect, and had me gripped the entire time. This is one adventure you need to experience.

Softpedia - 8.5 / 10

Weird West has a great set of gameplay mechanics that don’t always deliver the best experience. The five-character stories have great moments, although the side-quests are often more engaging. You can take down an important enemy in three ways or more, but the chaotic aftermath might be impossible to handle. Using all the money obtained from a job to replace bullets and medicine is not a way to make progress.

TechRaptor - 8.5 / 10

An original, imaginative dark western fantasy world with impressive immersive sim elements let down by some sloppy chaotic combat and interchangeable supporting cast.

XboxEra - 8.5 / 10

This is an excellent game, and it’s on Game Pass day one. Engaging combat is matched with stellar writing, great music, and most importantly it’s just damned fun. Weird West is one hell of a debut from the team at WolfEye Studios, and it is well worth your time.

ZTGD - 8.5 / 10

Minor issues aside, I loved my time with Weird West on PS5 so much so that I plan to double dip and play it again on Xbox since it’s on Game Pass when it releases. The story, characters and even the very world that Wolfeye Studios have created for their freshman outing is so very unique and dare I say ‘weird’ that you can’t help but become wrapped up in them. I haven’t enjoyed a mash up of supernatural and westerns since Darkwatch and if you played that game, you know that’s high praise.

3DNews - Russian - 8 / 10

Weird West got a full load of great gameplay and narrative features. And a couple of misfires won't spoil those.

Chalgyr's Game Room - 8 / 10

Weird West was fun. Combining an RPG like third person isometric style but without having to grind for experience points with a real time twin-stick shooter throughout five different yet attached stories and there will be plenty of tales to tell. With plenty of different ways to go about each protagonist’s journey, Weird West has the capacity to not only hold your interest for a while, but make you come back for more.

Destructoid - 8 / 10

Impressive efforts with a few noticeable problems holding them back. Won't astound everyone, but is worth your time and cash.

Explosion Network - 8 / 10

The opportunities within Weird West do feel endless at times due to the emergent gameplay, story beats and the way you are endlessly rewarded for exploration. Capped off by some excellent presentation, atmosphere and fascinating story, Weird West's detracting factors are only minor marks on an overall great experience.

GGRecon - 8 / 10

Weird West really is a wonderfully wild experience. Its mysterious and fantastical take on the American West is a unique change-up for a typically overdone setting, and the elements of black humour help to bear its bleakness. Many of the immersive sim elements gel well with the CRPG design to produce a living and reactive world, shaped by your gameplay and narrative choices. Some of its systems don't quite feel worked out yet, and it doesn't always stay consistent across its five episodes, but Weird West is a grand debut from WolfEye that understands the core of what it is to be an immersive sim.

Game Rant - 4 / 5

Weird West is a brilliant execution of immersive sim principles in an isometric environment.

GameBlast - Portuguese - 8 / 10

The player's encouragement to look for creative ways to solve the problems that arise along the way, along with the engaging narrative that encourages you to go to the end of the story to know how this fable will end, are the main merits of Weird West. The ramifications of the narrative are a strong stimulus for us to return to this world more often to see what else can happen, and what new surprises are waiting for us. I can't wait to see what awaits me on a new tour of this dark western.

GameSpace - 8 / 10

Weird West is an interesting isometric RPG that features unique setting, distinctive systems and a group of atypical heroes, each with their unique story, perspective and decisions.

Gameblog - French - 8 / 10

Weird West is a video game that offers a rich narrative with a lively (but dark) world. The character rotation system is a great way to vary the fun and gameplay mechanics. The sandbox vision of the fights is excellent.

Gamersky - Chinese - 8 / 10

As an immersive simulation game, wild west gives players a lot of meaningful and fun options.

GamesRadar+ - 4 / 5

Weird West has the ambition of a much larger game, and has made smart choices to be able to meet it.

Hey Poor Player - 4 / 5

Weird West sometimes gets its wagon wheels stuck on the sand with its exciting but underdeveloped ideas. Nonetheless, it’s still well worth a fair few silver dollars for being an ambitiously open-ended Action-RPG with a truly unique story and ambiance. So saddle up, partner. We’ve got some outlaws and zombies to hunt!

IGN - 8 / 10

Weird West's five dark-fantasy adventures contain a wagonload of bizarre encounters, twists, and reveals, and its stealth and chaotic combat are challenging but come with the built-in safety nets of unlimited slow-motion and an old-school quickload system.

KeenGamer - 8 / 10

Weird West’s combination of the Wild West mythos with dark fantasy elements brings together an enjoyable RPG experience. Being able to forge your own path through the world with your actions and combat is a fun and enjoyable experience. While there are some noticeable flaws, Weird West does a great job of giving you the tools you make to create your own legend in the West.

MKAU Gaming - 8 / 10

Nothing gets the heart pumping like a good gun battle, and the combination of different weapons firing, people crying out in pain, and flames licking the walls will lead to some wonderfully exciting gameplay. This is followed up with some amazingly eerie music that changes depending on where you are. Worried townsfolk are accompanied by haunting music. Caves are filled with near-silence, only the pitter-patter of rodent feet and the occasional drip of water is punctuated by the distant roar of an angry creature.

New Game Network - 80 / 100

Weird West is a brilliant Action-RPG sandbox with an alluring supernatural undertone. The story finds a regular beat as it jumps through five intriguing characters. Both stealth and combat work decently from the isometric perspective, with good interactions, and only some camera issues and AI navigation quirks prevent it from striking a deep vein of gold.

Niche Gamer - 8 / 10

Once I made my final choices and watched the end cutscene after about 20 hours of play, I immediately wanted to start a new playthrough and see what happens when I make the opposite choices. And to me, that seems like the sign of a good game; if you disagree, I’ll put you under snakes.

PSX Brasil - Portuguese - 80 / 100

Lacking some refinement in general and improvements in controls, Weird West overcomes these minor problems with good stories in different characters, great immersive sim system and an addictive combat.

Saving Content - 4 / 5

Weird West is a fantastic immersive sim that works doubles as an isometric action RPG in concert. Sadly the stealth is clumsy, the throwables clunky, but this is one of the best games of its kind. Over the twenty or so hours, you’ll encounter quirky characters, feral supernatural beasts, and unravel and intertwining mystery across five different playable characters that’s rarely been seen to culminate in a climactic end. Weird West feels like you’re playing something new and fresh, and it absolutely delivers as being one of 2022’s greats.

Screen Rant - 4 / 5

Weird West is a refreshing, lean and mean immersive sim. Its supernatural Wild West is a delight to explore, and is at its very best when it gets as strange as it possibly can, while the minute-to-minute combat is an awful lot of fun. Some of its bugs may get in the way, and those expecting deep interpersonal relationships with posse members will find it wanting, but as a mechanic-driven immersive experience it is hard to put down.

Shacknews - 8 / 10

Weird West very much lives up to its name. In each character’s journey, a wide tapestry of dark and spooky adventures play out across the Wild West. Monsters of both the human and occult variety are bound by the decisions you make, and those choices carry on to make each adventure in this take on the dusty unsettled frontier more interesting. I wish that the game didn’t push me to micromanage my inventory so much and that some critical quirks didn’t hamper the experience, but put those issues aside and it’s a deeply interesting narrative with more than its fair share of riveting shootouts and adventure.

Spaziogames - Italian - 8 / 10

Weird West is smaller in comparison to Colantonio's previous games like Prey and Dishonored 2, but it's nonetheless ambitious and leaves a lot of choice in the hands of the player. A little gem that needs just a little bit of extra polish to shine even brighter

Try Hard Guides - 8 / 10

Weird West has a lot to offer fans of the westerns and the supernatural. If you’re a fan of adventures that put all the power in your hands, you’ll enjoy the freedom that Weird West gives you. However, there’s a learning curve that players will get used to as they take on more formidable enemies. Just because you can kill anyone in the game doesn’t mean it’ll be easy for you.

VideoGamer - 8 / 10

You can sense, in Weird West, a developer both returning to his obsessions and toiling on a fresh frontier.

WayTooManyGames - 8 / 10

Weird West is a fantastic ARPG Immersive Sim that really gets you invested within its world. The veteran skill behind this game surely shines throughout this title offering something fun and fresh. I easily spent over fifty hours in Weird West and that’s even having to rush the last couple chapters. I enjoyed losing myself in this world and its characters experimenting with the gameplay tools and options provided.

Wccftech - 8 / 10

With its gripping story, wacky characters, solid action role-playing game mechanics, and masterfully crafted immersive simulation features, Weird West is one of the very few role-playing games on the market where players truly shape the world with their choices and actions. Some balancing and technical issues damage the experience, but if you're looking for a truly immersive RPG to play, you won't find anything better than Weird West.

PC Gamer - 79 / 100

Look past the murky aesthetic and clunky combat: this is an exciting fusion of immersive sim and CRPG.

But Why Tho? - 7.5 / 10

Weird West is like a love-hate relationship. It can be extremely frustrating one minute, and you want nothing to do with it. Then, the next minute, you want nothing more than to keep playing…However, all of it comes together to create an impressive world that WolfEye Studio should be proud of.

COGconnected - 75 / 100

The beautiful thing about Weird West is also what makes it critically impenetrable. At least for me, my enjoyment of the game is tied to my particular playstyle. If you’re more ruthless with NPCs, if you’re more stealth-focused, or if you’re more patient, this is a very different game. So my frustration with the stealth is a sign to sneak around less. If I’m unhappy with the story, I can always change how it ends. Conversely, the movement and aiming controls are a tangible way of making your platforming choice. If you’re looking for a western RPG with this sort of blissful, overwhelming freedom, you’ve come to the right place. For better or for worse, Weird West has that freedom.

Checkpoint Gaming - 7.5 / 10

Overall, Weird West dishes up an alluring world that you can explore to your heart’s content. Its story structure and procedurally generated travel encounters will keep players on their toes and ensure that no two playthroughs are the same. Even though there are a few glitches and the game’s camera can feel a little clunky at times, the visual style and depth of Weird West’s world more than make up for it. If you have a soft spot for comic books, interesting stories, and dynamic characters, Weird West will be a great addition to your library.

GamingTrend - 75 / 100

When it comes to the world, the narrative, and the characters that inhabit the Weird West, there's a lot to love. If you're looking for a game that's well written and where your choices feel important and consequential, then it's likely you'll be able to forgive some of the lacklustre RPG elements that unfortunately weigh this one down.

God is a Geek - 7.5 / 10

Despite some flaws that are too big to ignore, Weird West is an ambitious, intriguing, sometimes unique action-RPG set in a nightmarish world.

INVEN - Korean - 7.5 / 10

Weird West had greatly well-designed nonlinear gameplay which made gamers play it various ways. There are pros and cons on its ending even though it is a story-driven game.

JVL - French - 15 / 20

Weird West is an action-RPG game that fulfills very well the contract it had set itself to offer a rich and complete immersive simulation.

Seasoned Gaming - 7.5 / 10

Weird West had me hooked from the moment I sat down with it. It’s a well-designed, interesting game that offers something a little more intriguing than a lot of games.

WellPlayed - 7.5 / 10

Playing in this Western sandbox is a joy when it is rewarding your exploration and moral choices with strange outcomes and interesting characters. A lack of late-game variety brings its flaws to the fore.

33bits - Spanish - 70 / 100

The truth is that Weird West is a title where the bad parts are highlighted, but even so, the title has a great story and a sensational artistic section that makes it a more than interesting option within the genre.

Digital Trends - 3.5 / 5

While it has its quirks, Weird West is a bit of storytelling spectacle that seems to have been hand-crafted for diehard RPG fans.

GameMAG - Russian - 7 / 10

When everything works, Weird West feels great to play. Sadly, sometimes you can see how budget and time constraints hindered the game as a whole. Still we believe Raphael Colantonio can make necessary updates and fixes to their project, because it sure has a lot of potential.

GameSkinny - 7 / 10

Weird West doesn't quite gel on every level, but it still makes for a fascinating and deep action RPG sure to entertain fans of the late-90s CRPGs.

GameSpew - 7 / 10

For those what want to immerse themselves in a strange, alternative take on the Wild West and unravel a mysterious story, Weird West should do the trick. This is an engaging action RPG that while narrative-driven, still gives players a large amount of choice. And though there are some issues, they’re worth bearing with to see each of the game’s protagonists journeys through to their end. As the first game from WolfEye Studios, this is a very commendable effort indeed.

Gamer Escape - 7 / 10

It’s buggy, the balance is off, and a good 80% of the locations only really serve as random sidequest destinations. But the storytelling drew me in, the stealth worked rather well, and on the occasions when I felt like I had resources to burn it was just so dang satisfying to slow motion dive out from behind a corner while blasting a barrage of shotgun shells.

Hardcore Gamer - 3.5 / 5

Weird West offers up a world of intrigue with a terrific blend of classic Western fiction and supernatural elements, with a lot of enjoyable story bits and and a world that can change on a whim, but it's one whose awkward combat and bugs make for a bit of an uphill battle when it comes to truly enjoying this world. WolfEye should definitely be commended for their ambition and unique ideas, and the end result is still an enjoyable game, just one that could have used some extra spit and polish.

IGN Spain - Spanish - 7 / 10

Weird West presents itself as a videogame divided in two, composed of a duality that places it between the experimental and the tried and tested formula, presenting a really appealing proposal in everything that has to do with role-playing and player-world interaction, and attending to conventionalisms in terms of action. I have a bit too much of the latter, but I can't help but applaud its merits. Play it on PC, though.

MonsterVine - 3.5 / 5

There’s a lot of fun to be had in the Weird West, but it sometimes feels more like a testing ground for a more fleshed-out sequel.

PCGamesN - 7 / 10

Superbly written characters, the dark allure of its world, and an engrossing main story make up for Weird West's wonky action.

Push Square - 7 / 10

Weird West sets its sights high by promising player freedom and a responsive world to butterfly effect the hell out of, and it very nearly delivers on all of it. At its best, WolfEye Studios' first outing offers delightfully chaotic combat and an interesting supernatural setting that leaves no actions without consequence. But while in many respects Weird West achieves some of its grander ambitions, it fails to nail some of the basics. Immersive sim fans will be in their element here, but Raphael Colantonio's latest won't have as wide an appeal as his previous successes with Arkane.

Sirus Gaming - 7 / 10

As a game that delves into the supernatural, the story of Weird West is surprisingly interwoven with humanity. It tells a story in such a way that it makes you think otherwise of the things you used to think were awesome. If a game’s narrative makes you ponder for a solid moment, that’s a game worth experiencing in my book.

The Games Machine - Italian - 7 / 10

Weird West has a fun and engaging sandbox structure and is narratively solid, but it is also unfortunately marred by technical and gameplay issues.

Windows Central - 3.5 / 5

Weird West's astounding world-building and intriguing singleplayer campaign are worth the cost of entry on their own, but the game's lackluster technical performance and polish are huge negatives that prevent it from achieving greatness.

RPG Fan - 68%

I’m sure some folks out there will find the gameplay good enough, but even knowing how fascinating the story is, I wouldn’t have put over twenty hours into this game if I knew at the outset what I know now.

Everyeye.it - Italian - 6.5 / 10

Despite the considerable ambitions of the project by Raphael Colantonio and his WolfEye Studios, Weird West fails to best express the potential of a creative vision as multifaceted as it is unsustainable, at least for the current production structure of the team.

PC Invasion - 7 / 10

Weird West does have some interesting and novel ideas. Sadly, bugs, AI issues, and questionable mechanics prove to be problematic.

Cultured Vultures - 6 / 10

While its narrative aspirations and desire for immersive role playing seem to aim at the Hollywood tradition of the Western, Weird West ends up feeling more like a disposable dime novel.

FingerGuns - 6 / 10

Weird West sadly just isn’t as unique, strange or compelling as its setting and ideas suggest it should be. A decent twin-stick shooter with solid but repetitive combat, a limited sandbox and inconsequential decision making undermine the potential for an awesome gun slinging adventure. Sometimes, declaring yourself weird just ain’t enough, you’ve got to have the stones to commit to the best duels of the wild west.

GameSpot - 6 / 10

Weird West slings a few effective yarns, but fumbles when it comes to dealing in lead.

Metro GameCentral - 6 / 10

Despite some of the same minds behind Dishonored being involved, this top-down immersive doesn't live up to its soaring ambitions and often struggles to entertain.

PlayStation LifeStyle - 6 / 10

Weird West is a fun, but awkward game. The aiming and gun fighting mechanics often lead to frustration and make it almost unplayable at times. The story is interesting and different and the characters are fun to get to know, but the weapons aren’t very diverse and the armor and clothes are a minimal addition. It’s one of those games, that if you can master the mechanics of it and like this type of camera angle, you’ll probably enjoy it, but still find it lacking in overall depth. Personally, I love Diablo-type games and found Weird West to be enjoyable, but often tedious. Luckily, there’s a quick save and quick load feature for those untimely deaths and missteps. Trust me — those will happen often.

Twinfinite - 3 / 5

This is one game that is certainly worth checking out, if only for the setting and story premise, and if you could find some way to look beyond the less than ideal conditions of the gameplay segments, then perhaps you already possess the necessary steel and nerve to make it in the Weird West.

TheSixthAxis - 5 / 10

A dark-fantasy western RPG with a compelling world and an ambitious narrative, Weird West is undermined by awkward combat and micromanagement. Weird West's rotating multi-character perspective will be an acquired taste, but makes sense as a method of world-building. It's got room to grow, but right now, it's challenging to build momentum in the early game and to persevere through the mid-game.

Slant Magazine - 2 / 5

Playing Weird West, it’s hard to shake how much more gracefully other games of this type avoid similar pitfalls, with the abbreviated scavenging of Void Bastards and the easy-to-read interface of Desperados III, another western with a top-down perspective, immediately coming to mind. The latter game also supports far more complex maneuvers despite lacking the sort of pointless granularity that has the player comb through indistinguishable shelves for a handful of ammunition. By contrast, Weird West is a slog dying for an extensive streamline.

ACG - Buy

Video Review - Quote not available

Console Creatures - Recommended

True to the spirit of the West, Weird West is a masterclass in immersive combat and exploration that doesn't hold your hand or tell you where to go.

Entertainium - Wait for Sale

Ironically, though, Weird West is a game which could have been so much better had it been made by a much larger team with the resources to make good on its ambitious design. What has been achieved here is laudable, good and occasionally great, but WolfEye may have been better advised to take on a project of a more manageable scale. There is real imagination and talent on show here, but Weird West is not the best way to harness it.

Eurogamer - No Recommendation

A bold, atmospheric yet dissatisfying ensemble RPG shooter, full of untapped promise.

GameOnAUS - Liked

Overall, I couldn’t help but feel Weird West needed to be a proper RPG. The world is there; the setting is there, the atmosphere is there, writing is there, the story is there – but it hasn’t quite come together for me in this form.

Goomba Stomp - Avoid

Playing Weird West, the new game by fledgling studio Wolfeye and renowned publisher Devolver Digital, is like reading the Spark Notes version of an amazing story; there is so much to love about it conceptually, but the experience itself is stale and devoid of feeling.

One More Game - Wait

Weird West is a game that I enjoyed because of its unique take on both the Western and Weird sci-fi sub-genres, making it an impressively immersive RPG experience. What sullied my experience were the multiple glitches on top of the repetitive quest system, preventing me from completing the story because I played the game the “wrong” way.

Weird West is designed to be free-flowing but these glitches are fundamentally the antithesis of what they’ve designed the game to do. I’m a patient gamer when it comes to gameplay bugs, but when glitches stop story progression because of something the game has been designed to do, it’s really a red flag going forward. It can be patched eventually but until then, minus points for now.

Polygon - Unscored

With Weird West, these magic moments appear far too infrequently. Sheer ambition means eventually something special is bound to be spat out by the game’s extensive simulations — a mishap with an oil lamp, for example — although it’ll be a rough and unwieldy thing, all the more crude when compared with the extensive elegance of a Dishonored. Instead of doing what many, myself included, had hoped — converting the spirit of Arkane and the immersive sim into an inventive top-down form — Weird West has stumbled into a more mundane existence as a pared-down computer RPG that’s nowhere near weird enough.

Rock, Paper, Shotgun - RPS Bestest Bests

Arkane founder's first indie outing is a chaotic soup of colliding systems, and that soup tastes absolutely delicious.

SIFTER - Unscored

WEIRD WEST wants to push back at you. It wants to make every step you take through its dust covered, occult landscape feel layered with consequence. Who are you?  How does the world react to you and your choices?  Are the people you’ve wronged going to get their revenge? Why did that witch give you a mysterious box and should you open it?

Skill Up - Unscored

The Escapist - Unscored

Washington Post - Unscored

There’s no escaping, however, that “Weird West” is crowded by its own ambition. No doubt, some glitches will be fixed — like mission objectives failing to update correctly — and some control issues are surely more applicable to the PlayStation 4 version rather than the PC. But other problems are more fundamental. It says something that by the end of the game, I’d killed 599 people, and as much as (almost) all of them had it coming, I had no such intention when I set out. The systems felt too brittle to warrant a more considered approach. In this Western, it doesn’t pay to be a master of the quick draw so much as the quick save, stopping to back up every inch of progress, in case your next move pulls the chair from under you.

cublikefoot - Recommended

Weird West’s best features – its combat and exploration – are not without fault, but I also cannot deny that they kept me engaged for hours on end. Maybe not a day-one buy, but still worth a look.

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Weird West (immersive sim set in dark fantasy Wild West from ex-Arkane devs, 31 March 2022) - Information Thread, update: reviews from OpenCritic posted
54 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

After further reading, the combat does appear to be kinda/sorta twin stick, so you're correct.

Lol ok, I thought I was losing it for a minute. Yeah right or wrong that’s a turnoff for me. That gameplay style just feels cheap to me. 

I skimmed a few video reviews, and this game looks like something that I will really like. I dig isometric view action adventure games and RPGs, and the dark and twisted Wild West theme and setting is something different. If I didn’t have so much else to play right now then I would definitely buy it for it’s current $40 asking price, but I can wait to get it when it goes on sale.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Weird West - Information Thread, update: "Plague Community Event + Roadmap Reveal" video