Shamelessly stolen from Twitter...what was the best game released when you were 18?

gamer.tv

2 hours ago, eventide11 said:

Starfox I guess.. Not a super great year for games IMO 

This comment probably needs its own thread, but early 3d games have aged like garbage. Most snes games are still great... Not star fox. As a matter of fact most n64 and ps1 games I can't look at anymore. In their day I loved them. Now I would rather play a NES game. 

7 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

N64 was ugly when it launched. Muddy ugly textures and slowdown up the ass and tons of fog. It never looked good.

Exactly. Thankfully it had some amazing games with excellent gameplay, because they looked terrible. 
M64 and OoT are still among the best games ever made, imo.

Ninja Gaiden (OG XBOX)

MGS: Twin Snakes

Fable 

Spider-Man 2 (PS2)

Rome: Total War

Viewtiful Joe

GTA: San Andreas

Halo 2

Half-Life 2

Metroid Prime 2

Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines 

MGS3: Snake Eater

World of Warcraft

KOTOR2

LotR: Battle for Middle Earth 

Gran Turismo 4

12 hours ago, number305 said:

This comment probably needs its own thread, but early 3d games have aged like garbage. Most snes games are still great... Not star fox. As a matter of fact most n64 and ps1 games I can't look at anymore. In their day I loved them. Now I would rather play a NES game. 

Oddly enough, arguably, StarFox 64 is probably the N64 game that has aged the best graphically :p 

22 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

Ninja Gaiden (OG XBOX)

Fable 

Spider-Man 2 (PS2)

Viewtiful Joe

Halo 2

Half-Life 2

Metroid Prime 2

World of Warcraft

KOTOR2

Gran Turismo 4

That was an incredible year for games. 

23 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

Ninja Gaiden (OG XBOX)

Fable 

Spider-Man 2 (PS2)

Viewtiful Joe

Halo 2

Half-Life 2

Metroid Prime 2

World of Warcraft

KOTOR2

Gran Turismo 4

If I'm picking one... Oof really tough choice between Halo 2 and Half-Life 2. Ultimately I think I gotta go Halo 2 though.

On 7/12/2020 at 12:42 AM, Keyser_Soze said:

N64 was ugly when it launched. Muddy ugly textures and slowdown up the ass and tons of fog. It never looked good.

It looked stunningly amazing when it came out. People would stare at the screen mouth agape at how amazing the games looked. I think it was the single largest generational leap in the entire history of video games.

• Thanks 1

On 7/11/2020 at 11:54 AM, GameDadGrant said:

I could probably make a short list, but easily

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time surpasses them all. That said, I should mention:

Metal Gear Solid

Resident Evil 2

F-Zero X

Spyro the Dragon

Banjo-Kazooie

Turok 2: Seeds of Evil

Half-Life

Those are the games I've played. A few SEGA Saturn games are noteworthy to mention that came out in that year, including: 

Panzer Dragoon Saga

Radiant Silvergun

Magic Knight Rayearth

But I didn't play those. Only had a handful of Saturn games back in the day, to be honest. 

.....guess I ended up making a short list after all, lulz. 

I don't know why, but it blows my mind that RE2, Banjo-Kazooie, and OoT came out the same year. For some reason I remember being younger when Banjo-Kazooie came out.

• Like 1

I have an old TV in the basement for retro gaming but we never use it. I hooked up my N64 a while back and I honestly thought something was wrong with my setup everything looked so unbelievably bad... but no, that's just what the games looked like. It's shocking what our imaginations filled in when playing these games... NES and SNES games still look good, but those early 3D games have aged REALLY REALLY poorly. Wave Race was the first game I played and it looked like a dog turd smeared on glass that someone pissed on.

But at the time? Holy crap, they looked like nothing we had seen. I remember people thinking Mario 64 looked exactly like you were playing a real live cartoon. It was revolutionary at the time.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, ort said:

I have an old TV in the basement for retro gaming but we never use it. I hooked up my N64 a while back and I honestly thought something was wrong with my setup everything looked so unbelievably bad... but no, that's just what the games looked like. It's shocking what our imaginations filled in when playing these games... NES and SNES games still look good, but those early 3D games have aged REALLY REALLY poorly. Wave Race was the first game I played and it looked like a dog turd smeared on glass that someone pissed on.

But at the time? Holy crap, they looked like nothing we had seen. I remember people thinking Mario 64 looked exactly like you were playing a real live cartoon. It was revolutionary at the time.

The first time I got to play SM64 it was a couple months before the system released and a little mom and pop video game store had a playable kiosk of it set up.  I played it with my dad, and I remember him telling me not to get too excited because obviously the home version couldn't possibly be as good graphically as what we were seeing in that store.  We were still able to be impressed in those days.  Nothing is good enough now.

https://www.thegamer.com/n64-video-games-look-amazing-forgot/

There are some N64 games that I still play and don't find horrific to look at, but I do really wish I had a CRT to play them on rather than a 1080p television. Worse as I have a decent one at my parents house but my wife is adamant we aren't having it in our house as it would clutter the place up...(half the reason why, when we eventually move, I would love a loft conversion where I can stash my older consoles and a TV to play them on)

1 hour ago, ort said:

I agree with Mario especially but very quickly I remember many games being heavily criticized for the typical "N64 fog" and dreadful framerates. I remember Turok being heavily docked, two points on the -/10 scale in a German magazines at the time for the awful draw distance and fog. 

1 hour ago, ort said:

If you're just using some mediocre old CRT with composite hookups, I can only imagine how bad it looks.

We run it though RGB on a high quality new CRT and it's definitely a lot sharper, but still pretty ugly.

23 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

This is really mostly an N64 problem. Playstation games don't look amazing but they don't look horrible either, plus they have textures!

I disagree.  Playstation games were plagued by draw distances and framerate issues often as well, and tended to have even more flat-color shaded surfaces in fully 3D games like Spyro than their N64 counterparts like Banjo Kazooie.  Don't forget textures and lines that would warp and pop as you moved the camera around.  It quite literally struggled to draw straight lines in textures straight.

It was at least as bad on the PS1, often for different reasons.  I'd take a 2d game on Playstation any day of the week over the N64 though.