Jump to content

Goya Foods Faces Boycott


Recommended Posts

After CEO expresses support for Trump

 

Quote

The hashtag #Goyaway was trending on social media Friday after Robert Unanue, CEO of Goya Foods, appeared in the White House Rose Garden Thursday afternoon and praised President Donald Trump.

"We are all truly blessed ... to have a leader like President Trump who is a builder," Unanue said during the Rose Garden speech. "We have an incredible builder, and we pray. We pray for our leadership, our president." The fact that Unanue would associate with Trump was sufficient to anger some of America's most prominent Hispanic leaders. Congresswoman Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez suggested in a tweet that she'd boycott Goya. Former Housing and Urban Development Secretary Julián Castro acknowledged Goya's "staple" status in Latino households, but he encouraged people to reconsider buying Goya after Unanue's White House appearance.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Never bought anything under that brand, but just like Chick-fil-A shit, this wouldn't stop me from getting their product if I did. You wanna know what stops me from buying a certain brand? That shit that Lays did with putting the lower half of a person's face on the bag of chips. "The Smile with Lay's" campaign. Pretty sure it was for a good cause or whatever, but I was really bothered by the imagery. 

OPUS-Insights-Lays-smile-bags.png

 

It like grosses me out or something. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Bacon said:

Never bought anything under that brand, but just like Chick-fil-A shit, this wouldn't stop me from getting their product if I did. You wanna know what stops me from buying a certain brand? That shit that Lays did with putting the lower half of a person's face on the bag of chips. "The Smile with Lay's" campaign. Pretty sure it was for a good cause or whatever, but I was really bothered by the imagery. 

OPUS-Insights-Lays-smile-bags.png

 

It like grosses me out or something. 

 

Nobody fucking cares, Bacon.

  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I love Malta so much, this guy could stab my cousin and I'd still buy it. 

 

Also...

 

"We are all truly blessed ... to have a leader like President Trump who is a builder," Unanue said during the Rose Garden speech. "We have an incredible builder, and we pray. We pray for our leadership, our president."

 

What an utter wacko. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Bloodporne said:

I love Malta so much, this guy could stab my cousin and I'd still buy it. 

 

Also...

 

"We are all truly blessed ... to have a leader like President Trump who is a builder," Unanue said during the Rose Garden speech. "We have an incredible builder, and we pray. We pray for our leadership, our president."

 

What an utter wacko. 

 

My local Asian market just started to carry high-end Goya Albacore tuna from Spain, so it's definitely not great timing for me. Fuck 'em, though.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

I hate to tell everyone this (not just here!) but this is the case with just about every fucking brand/CEO 

 

Best case they're Romney types, but either way they're more than willing to seel their soul and your life/health for the almighty dollar

 

Ding! Ding! Ding!  We have a winner!

 

Just admit to yourself that executive leadership of every company that produces every product or service that you consume either actively supports GOP policies or is at best "indifferent" to them.  That's just the reality of existing in the United States of America.

 

The sooner one admits this, the sooner one can "get over it", shrug your shoulders and move on, and put one's energy to more productive social activities.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I like how the Goya guy is saying that the outrage is hypocritical because he also met with Obama and there was no backlash.

 

Hmmm, I wonder what the difference is. Maybe because Trump is so unfuckingbelievably bad at being president that simply praising him is controversial?

 

I like how the right wing always points shit like this out like some sorta big gotcha. It's not a gotcha, Trump really does simply suck that bad. Simply associating with him makes you one of the bad guys. He really is that bad.

 

The whole argument crumbles into dust when you accept the reality that Donald Trump is a total fucking nightmare and like every single rationally thinking person in the world hates him and everything about him.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

I hate to tell everyone this (not just here!) but this is the case with just about every fucking brand/CEO 

 

Best case they're Romney types, but either way they're more than willing to seel their soul and your life/health for the almighty dollar

 

we know this already but most wont be dumb enough to say it aloud.

 

EAT THE RICH

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, ort said:

I like how the Goya guy is saying that the outrage is hypocritical because he also met with Obama and there was no backlash.

 

Hmmm, I wonder what the difference is. Maybe because Trump is so unfuckingbelievably bad at being president that simply praising him is controversial?

 

I like how the right wing always points shit like this out like some sorta big gotcha. It's not a gotcha, Trump really does simply suck that bad. Simply associating with him makes you one of the bad guys. He really is that bad.

 

The center/center left still supports and gets support from capital. There's a reason he points to him meeting Obama!

 

He's just using the kiss ass bullshit language that trump requires so you stay on his good side. It's not hard to see here folks! His ideology is capital, not partisan!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Emperor Diocletian II said:

 

Ding! Ding! Ding!  We have a winner!

 

Just admit to yourself that executive leadership of every company that produces every product or service that you consume either actively supports GOP policies or is at best "indifferent" to them.  That's just the reality of existing in the United States of America.

 

The sooner one admits this, the sooner one can "get over it" and put one's energy to more productive social activities.

I assumed this was essentially an understood reality among adults. There is no 'decent' or even 'good' corporation. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Jason said:

 

Ben and Jerry's? 

BURLINGTON, VT. — Ben and Jerry's is removing the claim that its ice cream comes from “happy cows” on all packaging. The news came in the company's response to a class action lawsuit filed in October, which accused the Vermont-based ice cream maker and parent company Unilever of misleading consumers.

 

Their shit comes from large-scale factory farming which are essentially cow thunderdomes without the cool weapons. (Edit: don't ask me how I came up with this asinine analogy...I smoke too much I think...)

 

There you have it, even Ben & Jerry's with their hippy bullshit are evil monsters.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Jose said:

 

Yeah go with that. It will take you far.

Good retort. 

 

What it means is that individual choices are irrelevant when systems of power are designed for exploitation. Going from brand a (with bad PR) to brand b (with good happy PR) doesn't matter when suppliers d, f, and g (who supply them both) all use the same exploitative practices in marginal communities around the world. Not difficult stuff here.

  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Good retort. 

 

What it means is that individual choices are irrelevant when systems of power are designed for exploitation. Going from brand a (with bad PR) to brand b (with good happy PR) doesn't matter when suppliers d, f, and g (who supply them both) all use the same exploitative practices in marginal communities around the world. Not difficult stuff here.

 

We can still praise companies that employ better practices. Not everything has to be black and white.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Emperor Diocletian II said:

 

The full extent of our "praise" for any for-profit company should be limited to our purchasing decisions, nothing more.

 

Well, yes. I'm not buying B&J or asking for statutes to be erected in their name.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...