Far Cry 6 - Information Thread, update: reviews from OpenCritic posted

Brian

Not too far in but so far yeah it's more Far Cry. I hope there isn't a twist that you turn out to be Castilo's kid. That's not any kind of spoiler just the basic plot of your character is that you're an orphan and I'm just hoping that's not where the story goes. 

1 hour ago, Dodger said:

Not too far in but so far yeah it's more Far Cry. I hope there isn't a twist that you turn out to be Castilo's kid. That's not any kind of spoiler just the basic plot of your character is that you're an orphan and I'm just hoping that's not where the story goes. 

But that was FC4 :lol:

I'll give it a shot, I guess. I liked Far Cry 5, but just kind of fell off of it after a while. Felt like they really, REALLY wanted to avoid politics while also making a highly political game. Could've been super interesting instead of just kind of stupid.

I enjoy the FC series for what it is, more of a mood, then a statement. I like just rampaging through the country side and games of this nature provide just that. They are the Michael Bay movies of gaming so if you came for plot, what were you thinking?! The narrative is "woven" around a series of set pieces and open world mayhem, and is naturally an after thought. 

6 minutes ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

so if you came for plot, what were you thinking?

I'm thinking of how they presented the game before it was released. As @Xbob42 said Farcry 5 presented it as a backwoods MAGA type thing. But then Ubisoft went and said, "Not political" and totally neutered the story that looked like it would be interesting.

2 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

I'm thinking of how they presented the game before it was released. As @Xbob42 said Farcry 5 presented it as a backwoods MAGA type thing. But then Ubisoft went and said, "Not political" and totally neutered the story that looked like it would be interesting.

Right, and we know Ubisoft isn't going to alienate any potential customers so we're not going to see a poignant critic of anything, just the look and buzzwords of revolutionary thought. When I saw that they had landed the chicken man for this role I thought, well the writers work will be even easier this go around! I expect delivery over meaning at every turn! :dab:

I would personally love to see them go full on Die Hard. One person, not a "rebellion," trapped on a tropical island with an army of drug runners / pirates / overall bad guys and trying to escape. Instead of huge open world, a hub world with connected areas like the recent Tomb Raider trilogy (and kinda like the original FC if you think about it). Introduce a legit stealth system and some actual A.I. and it would be my dream come true.

One of my favorite Far Crys is still that weird linear "Far Cry-Lite" they released for Xbox. I have the 360 port still and I try to play it but wow those controls are terrible.

1 hour ago, XxEvil AshxX said:

I would personally love to see them go full on Die Hard. One person, not a "rebellion," trapped on a tropical island with an army of drug runners / pirates / overall bad guys and trying to escape. Instead of huge open world, a hub world with connected areas like the recent Tomb Raider trilogy (and kinda like the original FC if you think about it). Introduce a legit stealth system and some actual A.I. and it would be my dream come true.

One of my favorite Far Crys is still that weird linear "Far Cry-Lite" they released for Xbox. I have the 360 port still and I try to play it but wow those controls are terrible.

I was just dicking around in far cry 6, did the opening, then followed a groundhog for like 20 minutes, and then ended up going to the edge of the starting island and I was thinking how I would like to see a far cry about trying to just escape. Like the entire game is to just get to a boat and get off the island, and you can do so at any time, but you level up and what not so it’s easier if you don’t go direct to the boat, like botw style.

2 hours ago, XxEvil AshxX said:

3 minutes ago, stepee said:

I was just dicking around in far cry 6, did the opening, then followed a groundhog for like 20 minutes, and then ended up going to the edge of the starting island and I was thinking how I would like to see a far cry about trying to just escape. Like the entire game is to just get to a boat and get off the island, and you can do so at any time, but you level up and what not so it’s easier if you don’t go direct to the boat, like botw style.

There is absolutely so very much that can be done to shake-up the Far Cry formula, but Ubisoft is just too damned wedded to its bloody open-world template to deviate from it in any significant way.

• Sad 1

Yeah, game is fun though. I’ll probably get 10% through the story and play 20+ hours. It’s exactly what you expect it be, but I can go for a little far cry mayhem right now.

Beautiful game, take how good far cry 5 already looked, take it back to a tropical island, add subtle dashes of ray tracing, and really up the density to current gen levels, and you have a damn fine looking game. When the densely packed trees are swaying just right it probably looks more irl realistic as a whole than anything else out there (rdr2 feels flat in comparison to me).

• Like 1

Also resetera is reporting tons of problems especially on nvidia but I actually haven’t had any issues and it runs a steady locked 60fps. Some chugging as you move through quickly but that’s in all versions and an engine issue. Not sure if there was a patch that fixed some stuff today maybe.

3 hours ago, XxEvil AshxX said:

Just make it so the main character can fall further than 3 feet without taking damage.

13 minutes ago, stepee said:

Sometime in the last year or two when Ubi delayed everything they said they were reevaluating their approach and made it sound like they knew they needed to shake things up. It’s crazy how much they just decided to double down as the answer.

It was apparently the CEO or some dude that was insisting everything fall into a template. Then he left, and everyone was like "Now we can work on what WE want to do!" Apparently what they want to do is xDefiant and a GR Warzone ripoff.

Oh and Rainbow Six with fuckin' aliens.

9 minutes ago, XxEvil AshxX said:

It was apparently the CEO or some dude that was insisting everything fall into a template. Then he left, and everyone was like "Now we can work on what WE want to do!" Apparently what they want to do is xDefiant and a GR Warzone ripoff.

Oh and Rainbow Six with fuckin' aliens.

Just can't give up the Tom Clancy name.

Thoughtful article:

far-cry-6-guerrilla-latine-trauma-1.jpg
WWW.PCGAMESN.COM

In turning 'guerrillas' into a power fantasy, Ubisoft shows it really doesn’t get what it means to live in places like Yara

Latin Americans are acutely aware of the dangers of fascism. Again, to many of us, this is still a very fresh memory, as is the feeling of frustration that comes with lacking the power to change things. We grow up with the understanding that leaving our countries is a more viable way to prosper. Parents tell others how proud they are because their son or daughter is living in the United States, working as a driver or in a supermarket. As it is for Rojas, who explicitly tells us they know what awaits them in Miami is not a life of richness, but a “shitty job”, I have learned that a difficult life in the United States, Canada, or Europe is better than a difficult life in Brazil.

Man, crafting and gear management and shut in most games is such an actual chore to me, I don’t want to deal with any of that in a game like this. I liked how Avengers just let you hold lt down in the equipment screen and it would auto equip your everything. I want that and an auto craft option where it just takes all my materials and does shit with them.

Also the reflections in puddles here are fantastic.

Also I noticed that it’s chomping on 18gb of ram right now, I wonder if that’s why some people are reporting issues but it’s running really smooth here.

far-cry-6-hd-texture-pack-nvidia-rtx-308
WWW.PCGAMESN.COM

Ubisoft asks for 11GB of VRAM for Far Cry 6's HD pack despite the RTX 3080 only having 10GB

To Ubisoft’s credit, Far Cry 6 explicitly tells you in the menu that you’ll need at least 11GB of video memory to run the HD texture pack. Sadly, it’s a curiously restrictive requirement that raises eyebrows, as it means the Nvidia RTX 3060 meets the right specification just fine with its chonky 12GB of VRAM, but the meatier RTX 3060 Ti falls short with just 8GB. Even Nvidia’s flagship RTX 3080 is a gigabyte out of reach and sometimes fails to load textures properly.

12 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:
far-cry-6-hd-texture-pack-nvidia-rtx-308
WWW.PCGAMESN.COM

Ubisoft asks for 11GB of VRAM for Far Cry 6's HD pack despite the RTX 3080 only having 10GB

I haven’t noticed anything stand out as not loading right yet, but I have a resolution scale set at 90% which mebe lightens the load a little. I also read on resetera ubisoft is working on this specifically to get it working right for nvidia.

Never played a FC game until 5 which I thought was mediocre and I was let down how basic the plot was despite the trailers. It was the first FC that actually seemed interesting but it was neutered watered down waste. The gunplay was nothing beyond basic and all combat encounters became a joke when using a silenced sniper. Despite never playing a FC game before, my overall reaction was "Yep, this is a far cry game." I had seen 3 and 4 played and I was surprised by how much just watching those gave me the feeling of play FC before when I got to FC5. 

All of that was to say, I came ITT to see if it wasn't just another FC game. Giancarlo Esposito gave me some hype when the trailers and such came out. It's a shame that it's just another FC game. If FC games were great by default I wouldn't mind if t was just another FC game. I generally don't like it when great franchises change things up. FC has never been bad, but never great. It could be great, but it isn't. 

Just want to point out, until this point I didn't even see the reviews or the score. Just read some of the thread. So I went back and read some of the opencritic blurbs. It is hilarious how so many of them start out by saying that it's definitely another Far Cry game. 

• True 1

On 6/5/2021 at 10:59 PM, skillzdadirecta said:

Didn't see this posted here but the game will have a third person mode

sc8gf6_1.jpg
WWW.GAMEINFORMER.COM

The third-person perspective was designed specifically so that players could enjoy the characters more, including Dani.

I know some people were concerned how good of a job they would do with this so don’t worry this is not in fact a feature of the game.

Haven't been on in awhile shit has really gone backwards for me and the family and covid yada yada. I hope you all are safe and am looking forwards to much better days ahead! Aren't we all....

Anyways not being able to plays these games on any of the new bells and whistles has really slowed me down on really playing anything new. I'm still rocking an aging 2080ti but 60fps is important to me on a game like this and i'm not sure that I can even hold that with this game and honestly this has been the only real game I have looked forward too lately. Can't afford it at launch but soon I hope, looks like a farcry game and that suits me just fine. I'm hoping for 1440p / 60 high presets obviously no RT and turning other stuff down as needed. Oh well I'm liking what I'm seeing from most review wise and hope to hop in really soon.

Mostly this was just a hello reply in a thread where I can relate, stay safe fellow gamers it must get better soon, it has too....

• Like 2

Just now, HardAct said:

Haven't been on in awhile shit has really gone backwards for me and the family and covid yada yada. I hope you all are safe and am looking forwards to much better days ahead! Aren't we all....

Mostly this was just a hello reply in a thread where I can relate, stay safe fellow gamers it must get better soon, it has too....

Good to know you're hanging in there. I was thinking about you a lot when those fires were raging months ago (are still raging?)

11 minutes ago, HardAct said:

Anyways not being able to plays these games on any of the new bells and whistles has really slowed me down on really playing anything new. I'm still rocking an aging 2080ti but 60fps is important to me on a game like this and i'm not sure that I can even hold that with this game and honestly this has been the only real game I have looked forward too lately. Can't afford it at launch but soon I hope, looks like a farcry game and that suits me just fine. I'm hoping for 1440p / 60 high presets obviously no RT and turning other stuff down as needed. Oh well I'm liking what I'm seeing from most review wise and hope to hop in really soon.

2080ti is still a great card! You always seem to think it’s more outdated than it is :P

Its going to hit 1440p/60 ultra with the ultra hd textures installed, maybe even with ray tracing on. Funny thing is you have an advantage on this game also in that it actually have the recommended 11gb vram for ultra textures!

Also just throwing it out there that uplay+ for $15 a month gives you the ultra premium whatever version of the game, that’s how I’m playing it.

yea got evacuated even here in oregon from the fire, just seems like the world is on fire. The drought has seemed to have followed us from california to here, just sad. all the lakes are drying up the Dixy fire is finally out almost 3/4 of a million acres, though in California really affected us here air quality wise. After losing everything from the camp fire I was really hoping to be done with forrest fires and evacuations!! I don't even live near the tree lines anymore but that dosen't stop these things these days! There was a huge fire in Talent Oregon, 6500 homes lost just a few miles from us here in Medford, had to leave for a few days, watched as another cummunity not even in the forrest get wiped out. Several family members have been ravaged by covid, my oldest sister a nurse was hospitalized and is pretty bad shape still even after recovering. My oldest daughter and her daughter caught it and it really smacked them too for awhile though thank god not hispital. My latest Back surgery hasn't helped much with pain like we had hoped now 6 months later, just life I guess. We are all Vacinated and at least I'm going to visit my youngest grandkid next week after not seeing him in over 6 months, he's almost 2!

Not wanting attention I've just kinda stayed off my favorite media outlets like here as to not complain, looks like that just failed. I really do like this board and it's people. I really hope most of us are all ok, getting better, or are kicking ass. That's where i'm at, we will be ok.

4 minutes ago, stepee said:

2080ti is still a great card! You always seem to think it’s more outdated than it is :P

Its going to hit 1440p/60 ultra with the ultra hd textures installed, maybe even with ray tracing on. Funny thing is you have an advantage on this game also in that it actually have the recommended 11gb vram for ultra textures!

Also just throwing it out there that uplay+ for $15 a month gives you the ultra premium whatever version of the game, that’s how I’m playing it.

wow I may just do that for 2 months! I have gamepass ultimate, netfix and hbo max and that's it for monthlys right now, had to really scale back for awhile. Thanks for that tip!