Keep cars out of cities

15 minutes ago, BloodyHell said:

For what? Making EV’s? Pushing space exploration? Being a billionaire? 

Im not a big fan either, but frankly we need more Elon Musks. He’s a bit of a grifter, but he’s definitely trying to make the world better. 

Billionaire; fostering a workplace that exploits and disproportionately injures hardworking people who, assuming they have a real choice of employment, are committed to clean tech or space exploration

His parents deserve it far more though

Man, your hatred of rich people is weird. Im not s fan of generational wealth, but I certainly respect anyone who builds a valuable business or businesses from nothing.

and he might be hard to work for, but he apparently pays well. Highly driven people generally aren’t “nice”. 

he’s definitely an asshole, but the hatred of billionaires here really is weird. 

2 hours ago, BloodyHell said:

Man, your hatred of rich people is weird. Im not s fan of generational wealth, but I certainly respect anyone who builds a valuable business or businesses from nothing.

and he might be hard to work for, but he apparently pays well. Highly driven people generally aren’t “nice”. 

he’s definitely an asshole, but the hatred of billionaires here really is weird. 

His intergenerational wealth was built on the backs of black africans with his father's partial ownership in an emerald mine in Zambia, allegedly purchased with the proceeds of the sale of a private jet. (Similar cases can be made about most other billionaires) This wealth was what gave musk his leg up in life, from connections and access to wealthy angel investors to his dad partly funding one of his earliest ventures. He happened to be in the right place at the right time (palo alto in 1995) with the right connections that were only available to someone of his class. 

He's not some singularly outstanding genius, he was just a rich kid with connections in the right place at the right time. 

The criticism of billionaires is warranted because their wealth, power, and influence work deliberately and undemocratically to undermine ordinary working people because it helps their bottom line. You should be skeptical of these people and not the least bit deferential.

• 3 weeks later...
16 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

when your tires wear down I dunno what people thought happened to them other than end up in the environment

They also end up in your lungs just from friction wearing them down while driving. Fine particulate matter that's never coming back out of your lungs. And obviously electric cars still produce this pollution the same as gas cars. 

For who knows what reason, my balcony is painted white, and it's impossible to keep clean, it almost immediately starts getting covered in this layer of fine black particulate matter. 

starship-delivery-robot-pittsburgh-bloom
WWW.PGHCITYPAPER.COM

Last month, Pennsylvania legalized autonomous delivery robots, which can weigh up to 550 pounds without cargo and typically roam sidewalks to delivery goods in urban...

lmao I bet only now we're gonna start caring about pedestrian safety

38 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:
starship-delivery-robot-pittsburgh-bloom
WWW.PGHCITYPAPER.COM

Last month, Pennsylvania legalized autonomous delivery robots, which can weigh up to 550 pounds without cargo and typically roam sidewalks to delivery goods in urban...

lmao I bet only now we're gonna start caring about pedestrian safety

LUL you know we won’t

46 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

I'd love that, but it always seems like hospitals are in the worst areas of the city, so that's a big ole nope.

That's because hospitals are street-killers all around, especially in this country. Here in Flint the main city hospital has literally spent the last three decades cannibalizing the surrounding neighborhood, tearing down "ghetto" housing and building surface lots so that nurses can feel nice and safe walking to their cars.

10 minutes ago, Uaarkson said:

That's because hospitals are street-killers all around, especially in this country. Here in Flint the main city hospital has literally spent the last three decades cannibalizing the surrounding neighborhood, tearing down "ghetto" housing and building surface lots so that nurses can feel nice and safe walking to their cars.

Sucks, but I can’t change it. 

I refuse to go out past dark around my hospital. We’ve had too much violence in the area. 

16 minutes ago, Uaarkson said:

No of course not, and I don't blame you.

One of my coworkers lives within walking distance of our hospital. She’s in her 50s. She had a break in while she was sleeping in the middle of the day earlier this year. Guys literally just broke down her door and she startled awake. Nearly scared her to death. She screamed at them and they fled. 

I can’t imagine that kind of trauma. 

A lot of the Filipino nurses we get contracted to immigrate and work here also live in the area. I think they don’t know better and just want something close. They aren’t fond of it, especially the ones with young children. Some have moved. 

@CastlevaniaNut18move to Portland, our hospitals are in really nice areas. I live about a 5 minute walk from one of the larger ones, and I used to live about a 10 minute walk from the main trauma center and children's hospital. The latter of the two used to be a bad area, but then  g e n t r i f i c a t i o n happened. I actually live in one of the most expensive parts of town now. Then again, I did get a knife pulled on me a few months ago, so, y'know... shit happens. It's a city, ain't shit you can do about it other than not live in one.

• 2 weeks later...
3227.jpg?width=1200&height=630&quality=8
WWW.THEGUARDIAN.COM

Analysis shows average car journey times have also increased after Kensington and Chelsea council took out lane

Computer analysis of traffic cameras on Kensington High Street have also shown that average car journey times appear to have increased since officials took out the bike lane just seven weeks after it was installed.

The Conservative-run authority said removing the cycle lane, which was used by up to 4,000 cyclists a day, would add extra space for motor traffic, and thus ease congestion and quicken journey times.

2 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

I've really never understood why you need to be able to get 100+ mph. I've taken the texas toll road where the speed limit is 85. It's fucking terrifying just going the speed limit, let alone passing others! That shouldn't be a thing!

I can see why you need some amount of acceleration above the legal limit in order to dodge around something unexpected. But if we're going to use geofencing to cut out the acceleration on fucking electric shared scooters* based on where they are, and cars pretty much all have GPS receivers in them nowadays, then maybe it's time to use the same geofencing to enforce speed limits plus, like, 5 miles an hour over for maneuvering.

*I've dealt with this when the geofencing isn't set properly and it's a fucking nightmare. Have been in situations like having to get out of the bike lane because someone stopped their car in it and then having the fucking geofencing decide I'm on the sidewalk and cut out my acceleration while I'm in the car lane. Miracle I wasn't rear-ended.

Also you obviously don't need to be able to go 130 mph on the freeway considering it's legal absolutely nowhere in North America but I do think freeway speeds do tend to be set artificially low. Up freeway speed limits and lower surface street speed limits.

12 minutes ago, Jason said:

Also you obviously don't need to be able to go 130 mph on the freeway considering it's legal absolutely nowhere in North America but I do think freeway speeds do tend to be set artificially low. Up freeway speed limits and lower surface street speed limits.

Freeways are designed to be safely handled at much higher speeds than the posted speed limit. Iirc it's something like at the 85th percentile of estimated user speed distribution based on the design of the road and the posted speed limit (and this is all based on manual after manual in civil engineering guides)

So say the speed limit is 65, the road will be designed to safely handle 85% of traffic*, which is maybe 80mph or whatever based on some ancient engineering tome or rules of thumb or other standard. And this is to say nothing of roads that simply haven't had their speed increased since the 70's oil crisis designed under different rules.

*I believe this is how this distribution is set up, might be wrong at this point.

32 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Freeways are designed to be safely handled at much higher speeds than the posted speed limit. Iirc it's something like at the 85th percentile of estimated user speed distribution based on the design of the road and the posted speed limit (and this is all based on manual after manual in civil engineering guides)

So say the speed limit is 65, the road will be designed to safely handle 85% of traffic*, which is maybe 80mph or whatever based on some ancient engineering tome or rules of thumb or other standard. And this is to say nothing of roads that simply haven't had their speed increased since the 70's oil crisis designed under different rules.

*I believe this is how this distribution is set up, might be wrong at this point.

The 85th percentile rule is right. But fun fact, after WWII the only real road manuals that existed were the highway manuals. That's why so many of surface streets are built to freeway standards (wide lanes, minimal sidewalk trees blocking sightlines and to crash into, huge long straightaways with long sightlines, etc). There was literally nothing else to work off of and the road engineers couldn't be bothered to do their own homework. 

In California we even have an AWESOME law where municipalities are legally required to raise the speed limit on a street if drivers consistently go over the limit, which I think is basically a corollary of the 85th percentile rule, just with the 85th or whatever percentile reevaluated periodically. 

• 2 weeks later...