Keep cars out of cities

44 minutes ago, BloodyHell said:

AI cars are already here.

Those Google CAPTCHAs that have you manually identify stuff like buses and stop signs exist because the Waymo cars still can't reliably identify stuff like buses and stop signs.

That's why almost no one is saying abolish all of the above by fiat. Hell, even a car free city needs a transition period, but it starts with ending subsidies for cars like free parking and minimum parking requirements in new development (in core and core adjacent areas that are well served by transit and/or are walkable) and undoing racist zoning that keeps housing from being built in areas that most need it: high price, high demand areas, instead of pushing that development in minority/less affluent neighborhoods, causing gentrification.

All while we prioritize humans over 2,000 lbs of steel and aluminum by making places safe to walk and bike to and through. And move from there.

These things must be done, if not for future human health, then for current human health, safety, and economy.

10 hours ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

That's why almost no one is saying abolish all of the above by fiat. Hell, even a car free city needs a transition period, but it starts with ending subsidies for cars like free parking and minimum parking requirements in new development (in core and core adjacent areas that are well served by transit and/or are walkable) and undoing racist zoning that keeps housing from being built in areas that most need it: high price, high demand areas, instead of pushing that development in minority/less affluent neighborhoods, causing gentrification.

All while we prioritize humans over 2,000 lbs of steel and aluminum by making places safe to walk and bike to and through. And move from there.

These things must be done, if not for future human health, then for current human health, safety, and economy.

Again, you have a dream where the average American cares about his fellow countrymen. 

35% of this country believes the poor shouldn’t have health care, Goerge Floyd got what he deserved because he had prior criminal history, and call BLM terrorists, on top of being climate change deniers. And thats just on the other side.  Also, the liberal party is extremely divided in what they want, and the centrist democrats do not want this. If anything I would say they are bipartisanly against it.  Pretending America is going to change because a small group on the left wishes it so isn’t realistic. 

Biden is still against universal healthcare, and you think these people care about  Health?

12 minutes ago, BloodyHell said:

Again, you have a dream where the average American cares about his fellow countrymen. 

35% of this country believes the poor shouldn’t have health care, Goerge Floyd got what he deserved because he had prior criminal history, and call BLM terrorists, on top of being climate change deniers. And thats just on the other side.  Also, the liberal party is extremely divided in what they want, and the centrist democrats do not want this. If anything I would say they are bipartisanly against it.  Pretending America is going to change because a small group on the left wishes it so isn’t realistic. 

Biden is still against universal healthcare, and you think these people care about  Health?

Which is why it needs to be sold on lower taxes (higher density development doesn't need subsidies) and better experiences, like outdoor dining in cities, and increased access to recreation like safe biking

1 hour ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Which is why it needs to be sold on lower taxes (higher density development doesn't need subsidies) and better experiences, like outdoor dining in cities, and increased access to recreation like safe biking

Your posts in this thread have been very good. Just felt the need to say that. 

8 minutes ago, Jose said:

Your posts in this thread have been very good. Just felt the need to say that. 

They are, and I’m not trying to devalue them or pretend in any way that his ideas are wrong. We just have so many issues in this country, I don’t see this as being a fight more than a few politicians want to win. The blowback against it would be incredible. I can hear the crazies already. “Fuck you commie, I'm going to idle around the city twice as much because ‘Murica!”

I would expect many would be open to some of these arguments but for one major issue: white liberals!

See here

NIMBYs are powerful, and outside of SF, they run cities, and isn't just limited to blocking anti racist items, but more banal things which might, maybe, tangentially affect their property values.

10 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

NIMBYs are powerful, and outside of SF, they run cities, and isn't just limited to blocking anti racist items, but more banal things which might, maybe, tangentially affect their property values.

Absolutely. NIMBYs are perhaps the biggest obstacle to increased housing and transport, and liberals deserve their fair share of blame for this.

Not sure why you exempt SF though. They have some of the most powerful NIMBY forces in the country.

6 minutes ago, TwinIon said:

Absolutely. NIMBYs are perhaps the biggest obstacle to increased housing and transport, and liberals deserve their fair share of blame for this.

Not sure why you exempt SF though. They have some of the most powerful NIMBY forces in the country.

They have probably the biggest organized YIMBY contingent in the country. Things are that bad there! They're not really exempt, but they have a fairly organized counter that is starting to make headway. (Or at least that is my perception based on my urbanist media spheres)

10 minutes ago, Anathema- said:

Tax rebate if your property value decreases. 

Just have a developer cut you a check! Cheaper than a lawyer for variances and community meetings and delays and everything else. There'd need to be a formula for it to prevent abuse but it's a thought that could work. Some research would have to go into this I'm just not aware of

5 hours ago, TwinIon said:

I know they fought tooth and nail against the metro expansion in Los Angeles, ultimately losing to the pro-business lobby in Santa Monica and other neighborhoods.

38 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Just have a developer cut you a check! Cheaper than a lawyer for variances and community meetings and delays and everything else. There'd need to be a formula for it to prevent abuse but it's a thought that could work. Some research would have to go into this I'm just not aware of

We could also just give them a sack of gold coins with a big BRIBE on the side.

On 7/10/2020 at 1:59 AM, Remarkableriots said:

Who doesn't want to ride a bike with ice covered streets and snow smacking you in the face to the point you can't even see? I actually have done this and it isn't fun!

Yeah my bike goes in the basement from late November to mid March or later and out comes the car. So I break even I guess

10 hours ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Cities

Many cities in Alasja and Canada are far too spread out for this to work.  Most people aren’t going to bike 15 miles to work snd back. People in suburbs are not going to move into the cities so they can use bikes. 

obviously it would work in many places, but not so much in the north. Especially in the winter. I don’t care if you can ride a bike in -40, its hell and nobody is going to do it. 

If anything, I think the government should subsidize scooters and motorcycles, and get more people Commuting with those in the more spread out cities, at least in the summer. They don’t require such big lanes, and only need about a quarter of the parking space. We often park 4 bikes in a single parking spot when we go out. Obviously improve public transit as well, but right now its a no go.

People don’t want to be on a bus or subway during a pandemic. If anything, this is going to drive people further away from public transit.  I know a few people who bought cars because of it. I also know multiple people who were “anti-gun” who now own guns too, but that is another convo. 

11 hours ago, BloodyHell said:

Many cities in Alasja and Canada are far too spread out for this to work.  Most people aren’t going to bike 15 miles to work snd back. People in suburbs are not going to move into the cities so they can use bikes. 

obviously it would work in many places, but not so much in the north. Especially in the winter. I don’t care if you can ride a bike in -40, its hell and nobody is going to do it. 

If anything, I think the government should subsidize scooters and motorcycles, and get more people Commuting with those in the more spread out cities, at least in the summer. They don’t require such big lanes, and only need about a quarter of the parking space. We often park 4 bikes in a single parking spot when we go out. Obviously improve public transit as well, but right now its a no go.

People don’t want to be on a bus or subway during a pandemic. If anything, this is going to drive people further away from public transit.  I know a few people who bought cars because of it. I also know multiple people who were “anti-gun” who now own guns too, but that is another convo. 

We need schpeed trains!

9 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

guilty on all counts GIF by Oxygen

And I don’t blame you, but I suggest some proper training if you can afford it. 

I was carrying long before I was legal age to do so, but that was because of Grizzly, not people 🤣 

1 hour ago, Anathema- said:

Seriously though the burbs could be made walkable and connected to the city with rail. It's okay if the three hundred people who live in Alaska have cars. 

Its not just Alaska. And people are not going to go for more mass transit, especially after this pandemic. 

1 hour ago, Anathema- said:

Seriously though the burbs could be made walkable and connected to the city with rail. It's okay if the three hundred people who live in Alaska have cars. 

I think the issue is that the vast majority of America, especially the burbs, are obviously fundamentally designed around car ownership. I live on Long Island, which is some sort of bizarre in-between world in terms of distances, and you still need a car to get to train stations. I know quite a few people who just can't afford both because you really need both realistically in the suburbs. Then there's the question of parking at train stations but that may be an NY-specific, or LI-specific, issue due to the population density. The towns here literally sell unlimited parking passes...to extremely limited parking situations at train stations. High-rise parking garages are consistently shut down by property owners with political clout in the area, exactly like people have already said in this thread. 

It's a big endless cycle of bullshit in short and even when you opt for the train, America seems to be fucking incapable to even handle basic public transportation if this is anything to go by. It's so bad, a lot of people actually willingly will regularly drive into Manhattan (!!!) for work to avoid the debacle that is this train. There's a fundamentally American 'screw you, we did our part' attitude to public transportation, the same shit that pervades much of American culture in general. The agencies, if that's the term, do their absolute bare minimum and if things get screwed up regularly essentially yell in your face that it ain't their problem to fix it. American services in general remind me of that kid in school who always figures out schemes to get away with the bare minimum to not fail class. What I'm saying is that I believe the fundamental attitude towards others in this country, always getting yours first and done kind of thing, is standing in the way to begin with. This country needs a massive attitude check in general, like a bully that needs that one punch in the face to calm down. 

And I'm not saying this would be the case everywhere of course and especially having grown up in Europe, I really wish we could have a system even somewhere near that here. I hate commuting, I hate driving and I hate the isolation of being stuck in a car frequently. This post is probably an incoherent rant but I just had a shit morning thanks to a commuting debacle and I just want to scream. 

15 minutes ago, ManUtdRedDevils said:

I specifically bought my house near a downtown suburb where I can walk to 90% of places I need. Since the pandemic, car traffic has been much less which makes it even nicer.  

See, I couldn’t live around that many people. It would drive me nuts. Cities are great for a weekend, but no way would I want to live in one. Too many people, too much noise. But it all comes down to the environment you grew up in I guess.

3 hours ago, BloodyHell said:

And I don’t blame you, but I suggest some proper training if you can afford it. 

I was carrying long before I was legal age to do so, but that was because of Grizzly, not people 🤣 

Its not just Alaska. And people are not going to go for more mass transit, especially after this pandemic. 

My dad was a cop as was my grandmother... I'm not a stranger to guns. That said a couple of friends of mine are certified trainers so I DO plan on taking some advanced training when I get back to LA. A lot of the brothers that I know are planning the same thing.

2 hours ago, BloodyHell said:

Thats fine. I don’t know where you live or how you grew up, but I’ll never live in a city.

I'm the exact opposite... I'm a city boy through and through. I don't see myself ever living in a suburb much less a rural area :nottalking:

5 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

These fucking people are the worst

Like the places where the "everyone is welcome here" signs are right next to the "GRR GRR LETTING DUPLEXES GET BUILT IS JUST A GIVEWAY TO EVIL GREEDY DEVELOPERS!!!1!1!1 REMOVE THE BOUGHT-AND-SOLD INCUMBENTS" signs.