Attack on Titan is anime Game of Thrones

Just to add more to the discussion, I decided I wanted to get into anime more after I ended up loving Persona 5 (which took me a while to love, but god damn it eventually got its hooks in me).

I started by with One Punch Man on my own, which was a great starter. Then I decided to try more and got my wife to reluctantly try it with me since she sensed it was something I was probably going to get into more seriously and felt she should give it a try before she got left behind. But she wasn't otherwise really interested in watching any. 

We watched FMAB together, because I remembered the earlier one being one of the few animes I enjoyed sometimes watching while at college. We both loved it.

Then we watched Death Note. We both loved that too and L is one of my wife's all-time favorite anime characters. Progressively, my wife got more and more into it and she's probably more of a fan of anime than I am at this point.

1 hour ago, Greatoneshere said:

With regard to Brotherhood: absolutely. I was a huge fan of the first, it'd been awhile since I'd seen it, I started Brotherhood and was like: "wtf is happening?" :p 

As for the top five, not to hate on your list, but that's my point: you just listed a bunch of tournament shonen fighting anime series. What about all the excellent adult indie anime series like Texhnolyze or Flower of Evil or Gate or March Comes In Like A Lion or Terror in Resonance, etc. etc. That top 5 seems like a strong top five for tournament fighting anime or mainstream anime, but not of all anime or anything, which is what my previous post was getting at asking @legend what kind of list we should be making because I think most people have only seen mainstream stuff. I mean old anime like His and Her Circumstances and Berserk are far better to me than Dragon Ball or Naruto or Gundam Wing (there are way better Gundam shows alone!). Not hating on you at all, just pointing out how my own knowledge is also inadequate as I haven't seen a lot of the good newer stuff. 

See my post responding to @Spork3245. Your list is similarly very mainstream. More diverse in choices than Spork's, but still mainstream. I love Attack on Titan and One Punch Man, but better than Showa Genroku? Thunderbolt Fantasy? Made in Abyss? Monster? Any Masaki Yuasa anime? You know what I mean? I think none of us know the truly great anime that is much more intellectual and arthouse than the blockbusters we've all named. I'm happy to post my anime lists by year which lists what I sussed out as the best in anime (TV, OVA, and film) every year for the past 7 years. They are pretty thorough lists, and I haven't seen even a tenth of what's on them, which tells me I'm missing a lot of good anime (I have similar lists for films per year as well, since I'll never catch up to watch them all I needed some way to keep track of all the good and great ones and interesting ones.

This is kind if a weird reply, IMO. I like action and action-comedy. If I gave a top 5 live-action list it would be of a similar nature because that’s what I like. For example, there are a few horror anime that I hear people rave about, but I’ll never watch them because they’re not for me, same with that one where all the characters are anthropomorphic animal things, it’s not for me, this is just like how I won’t watch something like “This Is Us”. :p  

BTW, AoT isn’t a shonen, it’s a seinen. For OPM I’ve seen debates on where it falls. :sun:

36 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

This is kind if a weird reply, IMO. I like action and action-comedy. If I gave a top 5 live-action list it would be of a similar nature because that’s what I like. For example, there are a few horror anime that I hear people rave about, but I’ll never watch them because they’re not for me, same with that one where all the characters are anthropomorphic animal things, it’s not for me, this is just like how I won’t watch something like “This Is Us”. :p  

BTW, AoT isn’t a shonen, it’s a seinen. For OPM I’ve seen debates on where it falls. :sun:

That's totally fair, I was just saying that the selection was limited in scope was all, not hating on the choices, I liked all the choices! :) I would even say for action or action comedy anime there's better stuff, but if that's your top 5, it's your top 5. You are right, AOT is definitely seinen, I was just speaking broadly. Wouldn't you say your anime viewing is very selective to only specific genres/types then though? Like, if I made a top five of movies and only listed mainstream action or action comedy films, as a big film person I can say that I'd say that was a very limited list. That's all I meant by it, not a lot of scope or diversity, so to @legend's point, I'm not sure how "objective" it is, but obviously it's your personal/favorite top five and completely valid in that way.

1 hour ago, legend said:

Just to add more to the discussion, I decided I wanted to get into anime more after I ended up loving Persona 5 (which took me a while to love, but god damn it eventually got its hooks in me).

It's never too late! You've definitely seen some newer stuff with some older stuff (Death Note being old, Parasite being newer, for example). All your choices are good starter/gateway anime and I enjoy most everything you've listed. I'd argue most of your choices are similarly very mainstream/popular ones, but you're just getting into it so that makes sense. I wouldn't throw anyone into the deep end of anime, though the more adult anime is very good regardless (like Flower of Evil or Texhnolyze, for instance). 

As for a top five, man, I don't know. Influential vs. objectively best top five cross over a lot. For instance, to me Neon Genesis Evangelion, the original TV series and sequel film, are a high water mark of any art in any medium. My wife and I just rewatched it (her first time, she's not a decades long anime nerd like me) and she liked it and she is harsh on anime. But my sense is most people would now say it's influential rather than still good (same with something like The Godfather, wherein it's been so influential the original film is a cliche to a new person to it, I imagine). I'll have to give this some real thought!

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

That's totally fair, I was just saying that the selection was limited in scope was all, not hating on the choices, I liked all the choices! :) I would even say for action or action comedy anime there's better stuff, but if that's your top 5, it's your top 5. You are right, AOT is definitely seinen, I was just speaking broadly. Wouldn't you say your anime viewing is very selective to only specific genres/types then though? Like, if I made a top five of movies and only listed mainstream action or action comedy films, as a big film person I can say that I'd say that was a very limited list. That's all I meant by it, not a lot of scope or diversity, so to @legend's point, I'm not sure how "objective" it is, but obviously it's your personal/favorite top five and completely valid in that way.

If I made a top 5 movie list I don’t think there’d be any indy stuff on there (unless you consider Clerks as indy :p ) and I don’t really feel as though that would make my list less broad or legitimate simply because my favs are widely known. I’ve seen a lot of lesser known anime, none of them just really hit my top 5. Legend asked for an overall top 5, so that’s what I gave, and he seemed happy with learning about Naruto Kai. I personally believe Dragon Ball is a mandatory watch, especially non-Z as it’s ridiculously underrated by comparison. :) 

BTW, with Gundam Wing, that was just (one of) the newest Gundam series at the time and I haven’t watched others since. I think Zeta was the other big one around that time? Whichever it was, I watched it as well, but Wing wins for me when I include the movie, Endless Waltz, without the movie going show vs show Zeta (?) may be better. :sun: 

3 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

As for the top five, not to hate on your list, but that's my point: you just listed a bunch of tournament shonen fighting anime series. What about all the excellent adult indie anime series like Texhnolyze or Flower of Evil or Gate or March Comes In Like A Lion or Terror in Resonance, etc. etc. That top 5 seems like a strong top five for tournament fighting anime or mainstream anime, but not of all anime or anything, which is what my previous post was getting at asking @legend what kind of list we should be making because I think most people have only seen mainstream stuff. I mean old anime like His and Her Circumstances and Berserk are far better to me than Dragon Ball or Naruto or Gundam Wing (there are way better Gundam shows alone!). Not hating on you at all, just pointing out how my own knowledge is also inadequate as I haven't seen a lot of the good newer stuff. 

This is the first time I’ve ever seen Terror in Resonance mentioned ever. 

6 hours ago, legend said:

What are your guys top 5? There's still a lot I haven't seen, but I have now seen a lot and Brotherhood is still in my top 5.

No particular order

- Princess Mononoke

- 5cm per second

- Mushishi

- Evangelion

- Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex 

I haven’t watched a lot of these shows in years. I need to rewatch them to get a better memory of them. Cowboy Bebop is probably over GitS, but I decided to mix it up

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

With regard to Brotherhood: absolutely. I was a huge fan of the first, it'd been awhile since I'd seen it, I started Brotherhood and was like: "wtf is happening?" :p 

See my post responding to @Spork3245. Your list is similarly very mainstream. More diverse in choices than Spork's, but still mainstream. I love Attack on Titan and One Punch Man, but better than Showa Genroku? Thunderbolt Fantasy? Made in Abyss? Monster? Any Masaki Yuasa anime? You know what I mean? I think none of us know the truly great anime that is much more intellectual and arthouse than the blockbusters we've all named. I'm happy to post my anime lists by year which lists what I sussed out as the best in anime (TV, OVA, and film) every year for the past 7 years. They are pretty thorough lists, and I haven't seen even a tenth of what's on them, which tells me I'm missing a lot of good anime (I have similar lists for films per year as well, since I'll never catch up to watch them all I needed some way to keep track of all the good and great ones and interesting ones.

Absolutely. That's my biggest problem these days. I lack time and there's a lot of stuff that I can't watch and do if I can't involve the kids. The last really great movie I caught was A Silent Voice and my kids were mostly bored with it. Outside of that, it's a lot of Mamoru Hosada, Makoto Shinkai, Studio Ghibli and Studio Ponoc, Pokemon, and Dragon Ball Super...sometimes. Having my 4yo jump onto couches and throw balls like ki blasts is cute until he smacks on of his sisters.

I should note. My wife is a HUGE action and horror fiend. Doens't matter if it's live action or animated. One of the big reasons I can get away with the previous list of stuff with the kids is because of her number one rule for anime we watch around them. No fan service. No tons of blood and gore. That leaves stuff like Attack on Titan and Inuyashiki to after hours.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, legend said:

What are your guys top 5? There's still a lot I haven't seen, but I have now seen a lot and Brotherhood is still in my top 5.

- Gurren Lagann

- Kill la Kill

- Elfen Lied

Toss up for the rest. I guess you have to mention Cowboy Bebop

Black Lagoon (maybe)

On a side note - This would have been a lot easier if FilmAf didn't die off suddenly. :(

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

If I made a top 5 movie list I don’t think there’d be any indy stuff on there (unless you consider Clerks as indy :p ) and I don’t really feel as though that would make my list less broad or legitimate simply because my favs are widely known. I’ve seen a lot of lesser known anime, none of them just really hit my top 5. Legend asked for an overall top 5, so that’s what I gave, and he seemed happy with learning about Naruto Kai. I personally believe Dragon Ball is a mandatory watch, especially non-Z as it’s ridiculously underrated by comparison. :) 

BTW, with Gundam Wing, that was just (one of) the newest Gundam series at the time and I haven’t watched others since. I think Zeta was the other big one around that time? Whichever it was, I watched it as well, but Wing wins for me when I include the movie, Endless Waltz, without the movie going show vs show Zeta (?) may be better. :sun: 

4 hours ago, Nokt said:

This is the first time I’ve ever seen Terror in Resonance mentioned ever. 

No particular order

- Princess Mononoke

- 5cm per second

- Mushishi

- Evangelion

- Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex 

I haven’t watched a lot of these shows in years. I need to rewatch them to get a better memory of them. Cowboy Bebop is probably over GitS, but I decided to mix it up

4 hours ago, Ghost_MH said:

Absolutely. That's my biggest problem these days. I lack time and there's a lot of stuff that I can't watch and do if I can't involve the kids. The last really great movie I caught was A Silent Voice and my kids were mostly bored with it. Outside of that, it's a lot of Mamoru Hosada, Makoto Shinkai, Studio Ghibli and Studio Ponoc, Pokemon, and Dragon Ball Super...sometimes. Having my 4yo jump onto couches and throw balls like ki blasts is cute until he smacks on of his sisters.

I should note. My wife is a HUGE action and horror fiend. Doens't matter if it's live action or animated. One of the big reasons I can get away with the previous list of stuff with the kids is because of her number one rule for anime we watch around them. No fan service. No tons of blood and gore. That leaves stuff like Attack on Titan and Inuyashiki to after hours.

3 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

- Gurren Lagann

- Kill la Kill

- Elfen Lied

Black Lagoon (maybe)

On a side note - This would have been a lot easier if FilmAf didn't die off suddenly. :(

All I can fucking say is . . . it's nice to still see some anime fans around. :p 

But again, all the anime listed barely scratches the surface of the lists I've made (me included), so I dunno.

9 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

- Gurren Lagann

- Kill la Kill

- Elfen Lied

Black Lagoon (maybe)

I’ve been meaning to watch Kill la Kill. My fiancé and I started watching FMAB instead, I forget the reason. Just started Mob Psycho 100. Maybe Kill la Kill will be next.

We also tried Jojo’s Bizarre Adventure... watched 3 episodes and gave up. Show is all over the place: unless it starts coming together on episode 4, I cannot understand how/why that’s on so many top 10 lists :p 

BTW - what would everyone say the best dubbed anime is? Normally, the American VAs are so bad on anything that involves emotion, it’s like they’re reading the lines as opposed to “delivering” them (don’t get me started on needlessly changing dialogue :p ). However, there are some, especially non-Funimation, dubs, that aren’t bad. I’d say that Pioneer’s Ruroni Kenshin (Samurai X) dub is really well acted, and Ranma 1/2 has probably the best dubbing I’ve ever listened to, to the point where when I watched it ~20 years ago I would switch back and forth between subbed eps and dubbed eps without caring. Even with AoT, when I tried it in English it was “meh”, IMO.

I said it before in a different thread. But English dubs have come a long way. I feel like Cowboy Beebop was the start of good dubs. Then they started going back having professional actors voicing movies (like Billy Bob Thorton in Princess Mononoke). If it's a show worth it's salt the dub is usually good. I can't say what the best is, however.

Although, I usually listen to the Japanese dub first so sometimes if I go back and listen to English, even if it's competent I kinda don't like the fit for the character. :p

1 hour ago, Keyser_Soze said:

I said it before in a different thread. But English dubs have come a long way. I feel like Cowboy Beebop was the start of good dubs. Then they started going back having professional actors voicing movies (like Billy Bob Thorton in Princess Mononoke). If it's a show worth it's salt the dub is usually good. I can't say what the best is, however.

Although, I usually listen to the Japanese dub first so sometimes if I go back and listen to English, even if it's competent I kinda don't like the fit for the character. :p

Ranma was English dubbed before Cowboy Bebop :p, but, yea, I’ve heard CB is a good dub. I’m only talking about shows, though, for movie dubs (that aren’t based off tv shows) there tends to be a higher budget for VAs and they’ve been adequate for awhile. :) 

10 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

Ranma was English dubbed before Cowboy Bebop :p, but, yea, I’ve heard CB is a good dub. I’m only talking about shows, though, for movie dubs (that aren’t based off tv shows) there tends to be a higher budget for VAs and they’ve been adequate for awhile. :) 

I know Ranma was before and I'm saying what I (and others) consider the best early English voice dub is Cowboy Beebop.

Yes movies are different but I'm saying there was a point, movie or Show, that English dubs got taken more seriously and in general since that point most dubs have been good.

I've only caught some of Ranma 1/2 and it was in Japanese

13 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

I've only caught some of Ranma 1/2 and it was in Japanese

That’s why people consider CB to be the first good dub - Ranma wasn’t popular in the US so no one saw it. :p I don’t remember for sure, but a lot of this probably has to do with Ranma not having a TV deal and wasn’t easy to watch - I could be mistaken but I remember the only way to watch being buy the VHS tapes or “know” another method.
The line delivery was spot-on and I could switch back and forth between English and Japanese eps without feeling one had better fitting voices or better acting/line delivery. :sun: 

Though, despite them getting “better”, I’m not convinced that they’re generally “good” based on my recent experiences, however. Which is why I’m asking specific ones that you guys think are great dubs. :) 

8 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

That’s why people consider CB to be the first good dub - Ranma wasn’t popular in the US so no one saw it. :p 

There was was also Yu Yu Hakusho. That was a pretty damn good early/mid 90s dub. Also, it's not our fault that most of you people weren't exposed to the fantastic Spanish Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball Z dubs. Watching that on Telemundo was the best.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

There was was also Yu Yu Hakusho. That was a pretty damn good early/mid 90s dub. Also, it's not our fault that most of you people weren't exposed to the fantastic Spanish Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball Z dubs. Watching that on Telemundo was the best.

Ha, I remember watching the Spanish DBZ dub with subs when I couldn’t find Japanese ones for certain eps. There was also a UK dub that was supposedly REALLY well done, but it’s impossible to find now since Funimation basically erased it from existence alongside the OG Saban dub (which was better acted than the current, IMO, but still had awful dialogue changes)

10 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

All I can fucking say is . . . it's nice to still see some anime fans around. :p 

But again, all the anime listed barely scratches the surface of the lists I've made (me included), so I dunno.

For me, I have a lot of my watch list, but sitting around to watch some shows is never high on my priorities.

Though I find that a lot of anime just doesn’t appeal to me. It’s rare that I’ll stick with a comedy like I did with FLCL. Shonen Jump-esc shows get old fast especially when you have hundreds of episodes to burn through. Sports, nah. I have been wanting to jump into some darker anime like Garden of Sinners and Parasyte.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for all the recommendations everyone.

I used to watch more anime several years ago, so I have thoughts on a few. Since it's been a while, I don't know if the animes I used to like would hold up to my own higher standards as TV got so much better and my heightened sensitivity to pointless misogyny developed. With that said, here are some recommendations with the understanding that I haven't seen some of this in 10+ years.

Recent strong recommends:

Death Note- My SO introduced me to this. She loves it and I have to agree, it's one of the best animes out there.

Attack on Titan

Nothing new with those 2. I think it's safe to recommend to people that don't even like anime. I have had some success with that.

Other recents:

Devil Man Crybaby-  Mixed feelings on this, but overall I am slightly positive towards it even though the pacing was all over the place. It made an impression and it's short. It's extremely graphic though, unnecessarily so.

Sword Art Online- I couldn't get past episode 14ish. It started off okay, but the pacing sucked and it's filled with tropes and pointless misogyny. It's glaring and stupid. I don't know why it's so popular unless people want to just look at animated breasts, but they can just do that on the Internet, so what's the point?

Godzilla (Netflix)- I've seen the first movie. It's dark and okay so far. My brother and I watch some together when we have time.

Knights of Sidonia (season 1)- It couldn't quite find its groove. I never watched the 2nd season and I think it's cancelled. 

Here are some older animes that I have thoughts about, not all recommendations:

The Twelve Kingdoms- A cool anime no one really talks about that my brother and I watched 10+ years ago. It has a cool fantasy backdrop, but then there is no ending at all. It just stops and the show was cancelled. 

Rahxephon- One of the first animes I watched. I don't remember it very well except that it got me interested in watching more.  

Gundam- Gundam Seed was the first Gundam I watched. I enjoyed it and have watched several other series over the years, my favorite being Zeta. I think the series suffers a lot from weak, predictable characters and tropes as well as frustratingly unrealistic plots. They try too hard and fail with their political motives.  Zeta>Seed>original>unicorn>wing>the rest

Cowboy Bebop- It's just a good, fun anime. I like it.

Neon Genesis- I haven't seen the new one, but I enjoyed the old one quite a bit. It's been a long time though.

Elfen Lied- I watched it but don't remember it making a big impression on me. 

Berserk- Good and crazy anime I watched years ago

Full Metal Alchemist- I've only seen the original, not brotherhood. I enjoyed it a lot back then.

HunterxHunter- The original, I thought it was okay. Never went back though.

Record of Lodoss War- Fantasy anime. I liked the old original for what it was, but it doesn't meet today's standards. The higher budget remake was weaker on story, but I remember I liked the intro on both!

Vandread- A silly ecchi anime I watched many years ago. Nothing of much value here.

Star Blazers: Space Battleship Yamato 2199-  A decent anime.

Steins;Gate- Excellent anime

Hellsing- Vampire anime that was meh

7 Samurai-  I liked it when I watched it over 10 years ago. 

Gurren Lagann- Not that great 

I am missing tons of others that I've seen, some which I don't even remember the title to that were only 5 episodes long indie stuff. Some of the lesser known stuff is really good. I also enjoy the Persona games, but the animes aren't that great.

It's not technically an anime but it is animated in that style; I strongly recommend watching Avatar: The Last Airbender.

edit:

Hikaru No Go-  A decent anime about the ancient board game Go (which I enjoy). 

If folks are looking for more recommendations, I do have them.

Kingdom - I have a super soft spot for historical anime and this one is a retelling of the unification of China. So good.

Vinland Saga - Did I mention that I have a soft spot for historical anime? This one is a retelling of Vikings moving trying to settle North America.

Tower of God - I am a huge fan of the manhwa. It's a Crunchyroll original with the manhwa available on Webtoon.

Noblesse - I'm from the future. This one starts in October on Crunchyroll. It's one of my all-time favorite manhwa. It's also available on Webtoon. Unless they absolutely butcher it, it's impossible this won't be good. Just ignore that it's a series about very handsome vampires and werewolves. Trust me. This series is phenomenal.

Did someone else already lost Mob Psycho 100? I might actually like it better than One Punch Man. The new Fruits Basket seasons are good. I tater enjoyed Psycho Pass. Ajin isn't so bad if you can get passed the CG animation. There were new seasons of Hajime no Ippo like five or so years ago. Those were great. It's wild to think I reviewed the first season on IGN like a million years ago. Silver Spoon was great, and I don't know why it feels like it was forever ago that it came out. I guess having kids ages you fast. Beyond the Boundary was also quite enjoyable. That one came out around the same time Silver Spoon did. It can't be a coincidence that a lot of these dropped right before my oldest was born.

On 8/22/2020 at 8:23 AM, Spork3245 said:

I’ve been meaning to watch Kill la Kill. My fiancé and I started watching FMAB instead, I forget the reason. Just started Mob Psycho 100. Maybe Kill la Kill will be next.

We also tried Jojo’s Bizarre Adventure... watched 3 episodes and gave up. Show is all over the place: unless it starts coming together on episode 4, I cannot understand how/why that’s on so many top 10 lists :p 

I didn't put Kill la Kill on my previous list, but it is pretty good. It's super fucking weird :p and it took a bit for me to get into it, but I liked it and certainly is unique.

3 hours ago, Massdriver said:

Sword Art Online- I couldn't get past episode 14ish. It started off okay, but the pacing sucked and it's filled with tropes and pointless misogyny. It's glaring and stupid. I don't know why it's so popular unless people want to just look at animated breasts, but they can just do that on the Internet, so what's the point?

Yeah its pacing in season 1 felt off to me. But I ended up liking it a lot as got into season 2.

47 minutes ago, legend said:

I didn't put Kill la Kill on my previous list, but it is pretty good. It's super fucking weird :p and it took a bit for me to get into it, but I liked it and certainly is unique.

Yeah its pacing in season 1 felt off to me. But I ended up liking it a lot as got into season 2.

Maybe I’m being too hard on it and should give it another chance. I liked the premise. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Massdriver said:

Rahxephon- One of the first animes I watched. I don't remember it very well except that it got me interested in watching more. 

That remind me I have RahXephon and Wolf's Rain on DVD around here that I need to get to. I've heard very good things.

Elfen Lied- I watched it but don't remember it making a big impression on me.

Not sure about that. It only has one of the best opening songs in all of Anime

Gurren Lagann- Not that great

:Wrong:

Berserk- Good and crazy anime I watched years ago

I would have mentioned this but I never got past the (2nd ?) disc. Then one day when I was trying to rip all the episodes to my computer it appeared that one of the later discs (like disc 3) was corrupted so I don't know if I'll ever get to see it. I've had the re-release on my amazon wishlist for 9 years but not sure if I'll ever pull the trigger. That being said. I don't know if I want to watch the newer series (yes there is a 2016 version) without having seen the older one. :(

11 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

That remind me I have RahXephon and Wolf's Rain on DVD around here that I need to get to. I've heard very good things.

Ha! RahXephon for some wild reason ended up being my one movie review immortalized in Wikipedia. I didn't even know that until like 7 or 8 years ago when a friend pointed it out while trying to figure out if the movie was original content or not.

• Shocked 1