Shadow Warrior 3 - Information Thread, update: reviews from OpenCritic posted

Pikachu

Shadow Warrior 3 launches the offbeat first-person shooter series to the next level with a seamless blend of fast-paced gunplay, razor-sharp melee combat, and a spectacular free-running movement system.

Fallen corporate shogun Lo Wang and his former employer turned nemesis turned sidekick Orochi Zilla embark on an improbable mission to recapture an ancient dragon they unwillingly unleashed from its eternal prison. Armed with a punishing mix of blades and bullets, Lo Wang must traverse uncharted parts of the world to track down the dark beast and push the apocolypse back yet again. All it will take is the mask of a dead god, a dragon's egg, a touch of magic, and enough firepower to tear down the encroaching Shadowlands.

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, XxEvil AshxX said:

I liked the first one, but didn't care for the second one at all. Is that weird?

I liked the first one, and the second one seemed good but I just couldn't "get into it." Steam has me at only 6 hours on the second game.

35 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

You can get it on game pass!

Also, to answer your question it appears that it had a very limited physical release so the best way to get it is to buy the digital version

https://specialreservegames.com/pages/games-sw2

I'll need to get game pass hopefully after I get the series X after skipping XBO.

Shadow Warrior 3 First-Look Preview: Blending Doom, Duke Nukem, and a Samurai Sword (IGN)

Of all the ‘90s games to revive, Shadow Warrior was a pretty bizarre choice. It was a cult classic at best – fun, but more or less a Duke Nukem 3D clone but with culturally insensitive jokes. But developer Flying Wild Hog pulled it off, as the 2013 return and 2016 sequel both showed that first-person shooters could still be over-the-top fun and funny at the same time – without any inappropriate dialogue. For the new Lo Wang’s third go-around in Shadow Warrior 3, the open world and the co-op are gone, with the focus instead on Wang himself.

“When we were reviving the IP, there were certain ingredients that we needed in order to make it faithful to the original,” lead gameplay designer Pawel Kowalewski told me. “[But now], for Shadow Warrior 3, we wanted to go back to our roots and make a game that’s focused on a linear single player campaign that’s filled with over-the-top action from the opening credits.” That was clearly on display in the 17-minute gameplay demo I saw.

Shadow Warrior 3 will offer the best finishing moves around (PC Invasion)

While facing another enemy—think a demonic jack-in-the-box—Lo Wang rips out the mechanical guts and nets himself an absolutely badass fireworks cannon. Chinese fireworks fly out and begin to explode all around the player’s field of view, decimating the horde of enemies around Lo Wang. Not only are the visuals awesome, but the sound effects are great too, and it’s usually accompanied by a one-liner or two from Lo Wang.

The new finishing moves aren’t just a way to finish off a wounded enemy or get some more ammo. It adds an entirely new tactical element to the game. With a multitude of enemies, each one offering a utility, grenade, or weapon, players will have plenty of choices on how they want to approach combat. I’ll probably always go for the firework cannon, though.

Shadow Warrior 3 is doing away with some of the excesses of Shadow Warrior 2 (PC Gamer)

In 2016's Shadow Warrior 2, players often found themselves pressing pause in the middle of a killing spree to check if a +3.1 percent haste bonus modifier was superior to the damage gem they already had slotted into their revolver. It was a bizarre juxtaposition with the arcade flippancy of Flying Wild Hog's ongoing revival of the 1997 3D Realms shooter. There were dozens of different builds, leveling thresholds, loot pickups, and infinitesimal stat buffs. It wasn't necessarily bad, it felt a little incongruous to the tone in the rest of the game. 

In next year's Shadow Warrior 3, Flying Wild Hog intends to go back to the basics.

"It's going to have much simpler character progression," says Paweł Kowalewski, game designer at Flying Wild Hog. "We don't want to draw the player's attention away from the action. We don't want anyone standing in place for five minutes wondering what upgrade they should put on their weapon to increase some stat for whatever percent. We are going back to the first Shadow Warrior, but we are upgrading everything."

Shadow Warrior 3 has a dedicated katana button (PCGamesN interview)

In the new gameplay trailer that debuted at Devolver’s annual showcase, Lo Wang shows off some new moves and gear – he’s picked up wall-running from Titanfall and Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order, as well as a versatile new grappling hook that can help him cross gaps or deal with enemies in fun new ways. But game designer Pawel Kowalewski tells us Flying Wild Hog is also stepping back from some of the experimental steps into loot-shooting taken in Shadow Warrior 2.

We got a chance to pick Kowalewski’s brain about Shadow Warrior 3 and what we can expect when it comes out early next year.

• 9 months later...
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Shadow Warrior 3 (2021) - Information Thread, update: "Double Trouble" Gore Weapon Highlight trailer, announced for XB1/PS4
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Shadow Warrior 3 (2021) - Information Thread, update: "Meet the Floater" trailer
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Shadow Warrior 3 (2021) - Information Thread, update: "Motoko's Thunderdome" trailer
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Shadow Warrior 3 (2021) - Information Thread, update: "Weapon Showcase" trailer
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Shadow Warrior 3 (2021) - Information Thread, update: "Enemy Showcase" trailer
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Shadow Warrior 3 (2021) - Information Thread, update: Gameplay Trailer 2
  • 4 months later...
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Shadow Warrior 3 (2022) - Information Thread, update: "Official 2022 Delay Announcement Trailer"
  • 2 months later...
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Shadow Warrior 3 (2022) - Information Thread, update: 500 hours to complete 60 times
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Shadow Warrior 3 - Information Thread, update: March 1 release announced
  • 4 weeks later...

Game Information

Game Title: Shadow Warrior 3

Platforms:

• Xbox Series X/S (Mar 1, 2022)
  • PlayStation 5 (Mar 1, 2022)
  • PC (Mar 1, 2022)
  • Xbox One (Mar 1, 2022)
  • PlayStation 4 (Mar 1, 2022)

Developer: Flying Wild Hog

Publisher: Devolver Digital

Review Aggregator:

OpenCritic - 74 average - 52% recommended

Critic Reviews

GameSpace - 9.5 / 10

Overall, Shadow Warrior 3 is an unbridled good time with great fights and even greater one-liners.

Explosion Network - 9 / 10

Lo Wang's return is a joy to play, with all the systems combining seamlessly. Movement, weapons and well-designed arenas are the centre marks for this experience, an experience that would be enjoyed best over a day or a weekend.

AusGamers - 8.5 / 10

A gem of a first-person shooter, an interactive rollercoaster, and one hell of a good time. So much so it’ll have you lining up to go again.

Checkpoint Gaming - 8.5 / 10

Shadow Warrior 3 is an excellent FPS that fans of retro-style arena shooters are sure to have a blast with. Lo Wang’s quips might not land with everyone, and fans of the previous game’s RPG mechanics might resent the stripping down to basics with the gameplay, but Shadow Warrior 3’s efficiency is its greatest strength. By ramping up the over-the-top action with new traversal abilities and Gore Tools, Shadow Warrior 3 is the series’ most enjoyable instalment yet, and a strong recommend for shooter fans.

GameGrin - 8.5 / 10

Despite technical difficulties and a lack of Stan Bush, Shadow Warrior 3 still captures the silliness that's become a trademark of the series.

Multiplayer First - 8.5 / 10

Shadow Warrior 3 represents a true return to the series roots, rekindling the very reason why many loved the first as well as the classic titles it inspires from. There are plenty of small and big improvements, and while I am disappointed by the fact that I won’t be able to experience this with a friend or two, it’s compensated by what Flying Wild Hog was able to deliver on. It’s a fantastic game that calls back to the mindless fun that we all had when we were growing up, filled with the crude humor that modern day gaming dares to no longer do.

Niche Gamer - 8.5 / 10

It’s just a shame that the experience is over so quickly. Perhaps a premature ending is a fitting flaw for a game crammed so full of dick jokes, but at the end of the day you are still left wanting more.

WayTooManyGames - 8.5 / 10

I absolutely enjoyed every minute of Shadow Warrior 3 and for myself I really liked they decided to go back to that linear story focused design from the first game. However, I would have liked to see more of a blend of one and two shine through here because when it comes to weapons and abilities it does feel like a step back from two. Luckily, the new additions to the combat with the gore weapons and interactive arenas always kept me engaged and entertained. It was nice to have Wang back in my hands.

WhatIfGaming - 8.5 / 10

Shadow Warrior 3 is a fantastic shooter that shows a great sense of focus. Its creative enemy designs, excellent progression, tight pacing, and satisfying combat continue to keep the series fresh. Lo Wang is better than ever and managed to make me laugh more than once. It’s held back by occasional bugs in both combat and traversal, but nothing that was too detrimental to the experience.

GameSpew - 8 / 10

Shadow Warrior 3 isn’t a very big game. It doesn’t really innovate, either, or let you breathe. But on the flipside of that, it’s focused, and doesn’t waste any of your time. You’re ushered from one combat encounter to another with a big smile on your face, the action never letting up, all the while bombarded with witty dialogue and visual gags that will genuinely make you chuckle. So, if that sounds like your idea of fun, jump right in. You won’t be disappointed.

Hardcore Gamer - 4 / 5

For some, what you make of Shadow Warrior 3 may well be influenced by the comparisons one draws from the prior 2016 entrant.

Hey Poor Player - 4 / 5

If you sometimes get tired of plodding, greyish-brownish-greenish pseudo-realistic military shooters, this is the antidote. Dazzlingly colourful, unrelentingly fast-paced, unrepentantly zany and bursting with potential for player creativity, Shadow Warrior 3 is absolutely joyous to play from start to finish. So after 25 years, do I STILL want some Wang? You’re damn right I do!

MonsterVine - 4 / 5

Shadow Warrior 3 is a fun, hilarious nonstop adrenaline rush of a game and a fitting cap to the trilogy.

Rectify Gaming - 8 / 10

Shadow Warrior 3 reminds the shooter world to keep it short and sweet.

Screen Rant - 4 / 5

Shadow Warrior 3 is a first-person shooter that is packed with action and it will be enjoyable to those who love carving up hordes of monsters.

The Outerhaven Productions - 4 / 5

Shadow Warrior 3 has some of the tightest controls in any shooter game I have played in recent memory. It has a fun plot with a lot of areas to kill demons in fun and engaging ways. Become the Jedi Spider-man if only for a few hours.

Worth Playing - 8 / 10

Shadow Warrior 3 is a fun shooter that falls short of greatness. The combat is fast and frantic, and it is intense enough that I found myself getting lost in it. The short length, lack of variety, and inevitable comparisons to Doom Eternal don't do it any favors. I am glad that I played Shadow Warrior 3, and I imagine a lot of folks will feel the same way. It might be best to wait for a price drop, as $50 is slightly hefty for the amount of content you get.

Gamersky - Chinese - 7.5 / 10

Shadow Warrior 3 brings players a pure shooting experience returned to the original nature, with elements such as finishing moves and hooks and ropes making combat more enjoyable. But the small volume of the game and the "humble" character growth system also restrict its ceiling, making it feel like the end has come before the fun is fully enjoyed. If some hidden elements or "New Game+" setting can be added to it, the quality of the game will be better than now.

God is a Geek - 7.5 / 10

Shadow Warrior 3 takes the franchise back to basics in terms of structure while adding new mechanics and weapons to keep it fresh.

The Games Machine - Italian - 7.5 / 10

I love Lo Wang so much. So much! He's truly the best third-grade ninja in circulation! That's why it's a shame that the combat arenas are effectively the same throughout the whole campaign.

WellPlayed - 7.5 / 10

Whether you are a returning Shadow Warrior fan or a new one, Shadow Warrior 3 is bound to delight all high-octane shooter fans. Its minor shortcomings are rapidly overcome through the simple act of being gloriously fun.

COGconnected - 74 / 100

Shadow Warrior 3 is a real study in contrasts. There are times when its environments and cutscenes are triple-A game adjacent. Its combat is fast, furious, and fun. On the other hand, there’s not much story to tell, and that engaging combat gets frustrating and numbingly repetitive. Shadow Warrior 3 embraces much of what we remember about early shooters, with a lot more visual panache and polish. By the end, though, we’re desperate for the kind of variety and sophistication that later shooters brought to the genre.

New Game Network - 74 / 100

Shadow Warrior 3 is a decent entry to the series. It's the shortest one to date, has the weakest story thus far, and the least content. Despite this, the third chapter is the most fun and visually impressive yet. Your time with the game may be short-lived, but it will still be time well spent.

Spaziogames - Italian - 7.4 / 10

Shadow Warrior 3 feels more linear than the previous game, but is indeed fun and over-the-top. Unfortunately, it's way shorter than it should and you are left with the feeling that it ends when the fun was just starting to unfold.

IGN Italy - Italian - 7.3 / 10

Shadow Warrior 3 is a fast, spectacular and over-the-top arena shooter (with bland platforming sections) and, on this front, it works very well. Don't ask for anything more, though.

3DNews - Russian - 7 / 10

For all its obvious flaws, Shadow Warrior 3 still remains a pretty good shooter for an evening or two — charmingly silly, bloodlessly bloody, and genuinely violent.

AnaitGames - Spanish - 7 / 10

A brutally intense, although a little forgettable, closure to Flying Wild Hog's visionary revival trilogy of classic arena shooters.

Attack of the Fanboy - 3.5 / 5

Shadow Warrior 3 has some genuinely great ideas, but it is hampered by a handful of pronounced technical issues and a general lack of replayability.

GGRecon - 7 / 10

Shadow Warrior 3 is a great return to form for Flying Wild Hog, and a much-needed comeback for the series after the middling reception of the second game. While the gameplay can falter early on due to the lack of challenge and intensity, it soon ramps up to create a bombastic experience that beautifully borrows from retro and modern shooter design. While your mileage may vary on the game's sense of humour, and the full package feels a little underdeveloped due to a lack of replayability - it's undeniably a whole heap of fun.

Gamer Escape - 7 / 10

The thing is, it doesn’t really do much to stand out. The fast pace, the focus on maneuverability, even its adherence to old-school FPS style, all of it has been done well (and in some cases better) elsewhere in recent memory. Does this make it a bad game? No, not by any means at all. But when the only real gimmick it has going for it is weird humor that doesn’t really stick the landing, there’s not really anything else that will make it a go-to pick for FPS fans looking for something to sink their teeth into.

Shadow Warrior 3 is an interesting title and a fun playthrough. But I can’t say it’s one to go out of your way to get your hands on. However, if you have the opportunity to play it, it’s a worthwhile ride.

GamingBolt - 7 / 10

Shadow Warrior 3 strips away much of the extra fluff from its predecessor for a short, straightforward thrill ride packed with violence. Its humor doesn't always land and the narrative can be slipshod but the gameplay is very fun and backed by solid level design. Just don't be too surprised at the overall campaign length.

IGN - 7 / 10

Fast-paced and gory, Shadow Warrior 3 is a fun FPS that doesn't take many risks.

PC Invasion - 7 / 10

Pretty, action-packed, and fun while it lasts, Shadow Warrior 3 is well made as long as there isn't any dialogue, but there's so little content that the price tag makes it truly hard to recommend.

Shacknews - 7 / 10

The minute-to-minute action is downright delightful, even if the boss encounters maintain the series’ streak of being underwhelming. The shooting, movement, and killing are every bit as good as recent Doom games, even if the whole thing feels derivative.

Sirus Gaming - 7 / 10

At its best, Shadow Warrior 3 is a competent Doom clone, serviceable enough for anyone that is really looking to kill some demons and kill some time, but perhaps best at a discount. Otherwise, Shadow Warrior 3 is uninspired and underdeveloped.

But Why Tho? - 6.5 / 10

Overall, Shadow Warrior 3 feels like a teenager that still has a bit of maturing to do. Humor that tries to be edgy overshadows the fun gameplay, and the lack of an intriguing story does not help either. I would not necessarily say Shadow Warrior 3 is a bad game, but it was disappointing that I often felt like I was playing through a 15-year-old’s video game fantasy. Still, there are moments of fun to be had, and I hope Shadow Warriors 4, if it happens, can fix some of the writing mistakes to make the enjoyable experience of actually playing the game worth the time.

Everyeye.it - Italian - 6.5 / 10

Shadow Warrior 3 isn't exactly the game we've been expecting, and on balance, we think it's a big step back from its two predecessors.

Game Revolution - 6.5 / 10

It’s also not a long game — it took me just under 6 hours to finish on Medium, and I can’t imagine playing it again. I love short games but it feels like a lot was cut out — for example. there are only two boss battles in the whole thing, and there were many times where I thought I could go somewhere and couldn’t. While the shooting and free-running gameplay are enjoyable when everything works, Shadow Warrior 3 remains both fun and frustrating in equal measure — while it lasts. There isn’t even any rabbit humping…

TechRaptor - 6.5 / 10

Shadow Warrior 3 is fun but forgettable, a whirlwind tour of demon slaying that latches onto FPS trends and provides little spice of its own.

XboxEra - 6.5 / 10

Shadow Warrior 3 is an ok time. I don’t personally think it is worth its launch price as there is little to no replayability and the story only took me 5 hours to get through, but if what your mileage may vary.

Infinite Start - 6 / 10

Shadow Warrior 3 is touted as the next step for the franchise, but the end result feels like several in the wrong direction. Lo Wang’s terribly brief outing fails to fully find its rhythm, although it does occasionally glimpse a better version of itself. The lackluster dialogue, platforming, and campaign all hold back the newest installment, providing us a watered-down gun-toting, sword-slinging adventure that tosses aside the loftier ambitions of its predecessor. If fast-paced FPS action is what you crave, your appetite is better satisfied elsewhere.

Saving Content - 3 / 5

Shadow Warrior 3 is not a bad time, it just isn’t as forward thinking as its predecessors. It’s a mess of ideas with a flawed execution that leads to disappointment. There’s a healthy armory of fun weapons to shoot, upgrades to acquire, and finishers that are fantastically bloody to keep you entertained. Lo Wang’s movement and world traversal is the best it’s ever been. Flying Wild Hog gets so much right, but the parts they don’t overshadow the whole experience. Shadow Warrior 3 is so staggeringly linear and short, and without any real replayability to speak of, is a game that falls on its own sword.

We Got This Covered - 3 / 5

Shadow Warrior 3 invokes gaming's simpler past while lampshading the fact that it borrows so much from more modern games. It sits in a no-man's-land of middling design decisions and absolutely terrible writing, even though its action and presentation sometimes shine through.

PC Gamer - 52 / 100

Shadow Warrior 3 buries a fun shooter so deep in muck that it's not worth dirtying your hands.

ACG - Wait for Sale

Video Review - Quote not available

Entertainium - Recommended

Over the last decade, Polish developer Flying Wild Hog has taken the Shadow Warrior shooter series originated by 3D Realms in 1997 and made it very much their own. With each new entry, the studio has felt free to make big changes. Now that the long-delayed Shadow Warrior 3 is finally here, it’s clear that the developers have given the formula its most aggressive rework yet. The result is a startlingly stripped-down sequel that focuses exclusively on its short but sometimes glorious single-player campaign.

Rock, Paper, Shotgun - Unscored

Shadow Warrior 3 is a tongue-in-cheek arena shooter that starts off with tons of potential - but sadly it ends up dull from repetition.

The Escapist - Unscored

Video Review - Quote not available

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Shadow Warrior 3 - Information Thread, update: reviews from OpenCritic posted