Assassin's Creed Valhalla - Information Thread, update: "The Last Chapter" trailer - free update that ties up the loose ends of Eivor's story

Commissar SFLUFAN

4 hours ago, Phaseknox said:

In most games that allow you to choose between a male or female protagonist the female voice work is usually superior IMO, and that appears to be the case with Assassin's Creed Valhalla as well. Female Eivor has a strong and fitting voice, while male Eivor has a bit of a mild/tame voice that I don't find as fitting for the character.

I know it's all personal opinion but for what it's worth Alex said that the differences between the two performances isn't as pronounced as the previous games.

15 hours ago, Dre801 said:

I look forward to that moment in Valhalla when they break player immersion and put you in those fuckin Animus segments.

I wouldn’t mind them if they did them “well” like in the Ezio trilogy. Back then I was generally really curious about what was going to happen to Desmond and the modern day assassins. I found the mystery of the precursors to be really interesting. And it felt like it was building to a modern day AC with Desmond as the main protagonist which would have been awesome. I have no idea why they keep barely tacking the the present day stuff on now. At this point either invest in a good coherent story or just dump it all together. 

19 minutes ago, Mercury33 said:

I have no idea why they keep barely tacking the the present day stuff on now. At this point either invest in a good coherent story or just dump it all together. 

Because of all of what you said wasn't actually interesting. Modern day stuff was mostly dumb, Desmond sucked and instead of digging the hole deeper they killed him off.

Just now, Keyser_Soze said:

Because of all of what you said wasn't actually interesting. Modern day stuff was mostly dumb, Desmond sucked and instead of digging the hole deeper they killed him off.

Remember when Ubisoft thought it was super important to tie the solar flare apocalypse storyline with 2012 in game and IRL because of the Mayan calendar? Wild. 

• Haha 1

On 7/15/2020 at 7:53 AM, Mercury33 said:

I wouldn’t mind them if they did them “well” like in the Ezio trilogy. Back then I was generally really curious about what was going to happen to Desmond and the modern day assassins. I found the mystery of the precursors to be really interesting. And it felt like it was building to a modern day AC with Desmond as the main protagonist which would have been awesome. I have no idea why they keep barely tacking the the present day stuff on now. At this point either invest in a good coherent story or just dump it all together. 

I actually like what they did with the modern day stuff in Odyssey. Largely because it was so connected with Kassandra.

On 7/12/2020 at 11:37 PM, johnny said:

This makes me want to buy the odyssey DLC. Feelin that itch to go back to Greece... 

The Hades and Atlantis ones aren't too bad but for the love of Zeus skip the Hidden Blade. It's atrocious.

The male Eivor voice is really bad! WTF? 

Assassin’s Creed Valhalla interview – an action RPG where each region is its own story (VG 24/7)

After spending three hours with Assassin’s Creed Valhalla, we got to sit down and chat with Laurence Letalien, assistant level design director, to chat about what’s new for Ubisoft’s stabby series.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Just now, JPDunks4 said:

At launch?

Aren't Origins and Odyssey considered some of the prettiest games of this gen?

Can't speak for console, Odyssey is a pretty damn good looking game on PC on Ultra settings.

Given that a 2080Ti couldn't come close to 60fps @4k on Ultra settings on AC:Odssey, I suspect the SeX version isn't going to be running at "Ultra" equivalent.

4 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

Can't speak for console, Odyssey is a pretty damn good looking game on PC on Ultra settings.

Given that a 2080Ti couldn't come close to 60fps @4k on Ultra settings on AC:Odssey, I suspect the SeX version isn't going to be running at "Ultra" equivalent.

I understand it's probably not going to be 4k60 on Ultra Settings, but what launch game is going to be 4k60 and prettier based off what we've seen so far?

We don't really know what concessions any of the launch games are going to be making to hit 4k60 on either console right now.

Just now, JPDunks4 said:

I understand it's probably not going to be 4k60 on Ultra Settings, but what launch game is going to be 4k60 and prettier based off what we've seen so far?

We don't really know what concessions any of the launch games are going to be making to hit 4k60 on either console right now.

How many launch games are there?  NBA 2k, CoD and AC:V?  AC:V is the best of the bunch.  It looked a lot better than Halo was going to, that's for sure.

46 minutes ago, JPDunks4 said:

At launch?

Undoubtedly.  There's an indie studio producing a better looking launch game targeting the same.

I think Black Ops: Cold War also looks better in what they've shown of the campaign.  I wouldn't be surprised if Spiderman's 4k60fps mode impresses more.  Perhaps even Dirt 5, Scorn, Godfall, Kena if it makes it, etc.  And I don't doubt some prior gen games with (60fps) patches could look better at launch too.

46 minutes ago, JPDunks4 said:

Aren't Origins and Odyssey considered some of the prettiest games of this gen?

Some of, but not top rung, IMO.  Nevertheless, Valhalla doesn't look appreciatively better than those games at the moment, while the rest of the industry is pushing forward.

21 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

Undoubtedly.  There's an indie studio producing a better looking launch game targeting the same.

I think Black Ops: Cold War also looks better.  I wouldn't be surprised if Spiderman's 4k60fps mode impresses more.  Perhaps even Dirt 5, Scorn, Godfall, Kena if it makes it, etc.  And I don't doubt some prior gen games with (60fps) patches could look better at launch too.

Some of, but not top rung, IMO.  Nevertheless, Valhalla doesn't look appreciatively better than those games at the moment, while the rest of the industry is pushing forward.

What’s a top tier game?  I’ve obviously been missing out. 

30 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

I think Black Ops: Cold War also looks better in what they've shown of the campaign.  I wouldn't be surprised if Spiderman's 4k60fps mode impresses more.  Perhaps even Dirt 5, Scorn, Godfall, Kena if it makes it, etc.  And I don't doubt some prior gen games with (60fps) patches could look better at launch too.

Is Observer a big open world game? I don't know much about it? Looks like pretty small corridor areas which probably demand far less processing power compared to a big open world game?

Also pretty subjective to say that looks better than Valhalla.

32 minutes ago, JPDunks4 said:

Is Observer a big open world game? I don't know much about it? Looks like pretty small corridor areas which probably demand far less processing power compared to a big open world game?

Also pretty subjective to say that looks better than Valhalla.

We're talking graphics.  It's going to be subjective.

Ubisoft doesn't get a pass for it being an open world game, because they evidently didn't build this game around next-gen tech and rendering techniques.  More relevantly, they also haven't tried to build them into Valhalla in tandem, unlike other studios like CD Projekt Red or even the Watchdogs team.  Clearly, the next-gen Assassin's Creed game is still forthcoming.  Hopefully that one will look better than RDR2.

Until then, there's no shame in a smaller-scale game proving more about what next-gen can look like.  We'll be seeing plenty more of that by the time the AC following Valhalla comes around, from big and small games alike, at 4k60fps.

17 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

We're talking graphics.  It's going to be subjective.

Ubisoft doesn't get a pass for it being an open world game, because they evidently didn't build this game around next-gen tech and rendering techniques.  They also haven't tried to build them into Valhalla, unlike other studios like CD Projekt Red or even the Watchdogs team.  Clearly, the next-gen Assassin's Creed game is still forthcoming.  Maybe that one will look better than RDR2.

Until then, there's no shame in a smaller-scale game proving more about what next-gen can look like.  We'll be seeing plenty more of that by the time the AC following Valhalla comes around, from big and small games alike, at 4k60fps.

25 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

Top tier graphics this gen?  RDR2, Last of Us Part 2, Control.  Maybe God of War, Spider-Man and Horizon 4.  Probably Cyperbunk when it's out.

We're going to have to differ on this.  I haven't played AC:O on console, but IMHO, on PC Ultra settings it is a clear step above RDR2 (on Ultra) and Forza Horizon 4 (on Ultra, which by the way, is my favourite game of all time).  I haven't played Control or LoU2, so I'll hold my opinions on those.

I'll be honest, Observer looks good, but I don't really understand why you are so impressed with it on a technical basis.

TBH:  The only thing that I have seen so far, that screams "next-gen" to me, at least on a purely graphical basis, is Horizon:FW.