Assassin's Creed Valhalla - Information Thread, update: "The Last Chapter" trailer - free update that ties up the loose ends of Eivor's story

Commissar SFLUFAN

5 hours ago, Brick said:

Trailer with an Englishman warning of the dangers of the foreign barbarians, and then those foreign barbarians have English accents... 

¿Qué? 

Would it be that hard to have hired some Icelandic actors? 

FWIW, King Alfred would have spoke Old English, and would sound very little like modern Englishmen.  Modern Icelandic (or Norse for that matter) actors, would likely sound very little like actual Old Norse speaking Vikings.

4 hours ago, Mercury33 said:

These Vikings are from Norway ;)

The current populations of Denmark, Sweden, Norway and Iceland are largely all descendants of those Vikings (I believe Iceland was being colonized by Vikings at about the time this game takes place).

1 hour ago, Brick said:

Mythological how exactly? I have seen videos of fights with mythological creatures like gorgons, but is that just DLC extras for fun, or is it actual canon stuff? If it's explained in a reasonable manner (like they're hallucinations caused by the Pieces of Eden and other relics from the old civilization (what are they called again?), and that's where mythological creatures got their origins, similar to how religion was caused by the Pieces of Eden, and people thought that those of the ancient civilization were gods), then I might be able to accept it, but if it's just straight up, nope here's a monster, then I'm going to say this series has jumped the shark. 

Many of the "Isu" race (from the first civilization) are portrayed as the Greek gods, and in parts of the DLC, you interact with them directly.

13 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

Modern Icelandic (or Norse for that matter) actors, would likely sound very little like actual Old Norse speaking Vikings.

What did Old Norse sound like?

Like the other Scandinavian languages modern Icelandic is descended from Old Norse, the language spoken by the Vikings. Unlike the other Scandinavian languages, Norwegian, Swedish, Danish and Faeroese, Icelandic has changed very little. Modern Icelanders can read the medieval manuscripts with little difficulty. Although we suspect that a ninth century Viking settler of Reykjavík might have difficulty recognizing his surroundings if he  were to be transported in time to downtown Reykjavík, he should have no problem asking for directions!

But while the grammar and vocabulary have not changed very much, we still don't know exactly how the Vikings sounded like.

26 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

FWIW, King Alfred would have spoke Old English, and would sound very little like modern Englishmen.  Modern Icelandic (or Norse for that matter) actors, would likely sound very little like actual Old Norse speaking Vikings.

I mean yeah, but I'm not going to know what the old versions sound like, and I doubt very many people do either, but that misses the point I'm making in that both these characters have accents from the British Isles. Sure Old English would sound different, but I can accept being told the character is English, and hearing a modern English accent. Would be nice if the Scandinavian character sounded Scandinavian, and pronounced Norse words correctly (like rolled Rs for example, and names like Odin would be pronounced with more of a "Th" sound, rather than a hard D, if I'm not mistaken). 

49 minutes ago, Emperor Diocletian II said:

I watched that video this morning... 

My point wasn't so much that the language had changed, insomuch as the accent almost certainly has.  Where we have evidence of the accent changing, it can change significantly over the period of a few generations (let alone a thousand years).  While we can only guess what modern English pronounced by a 11th century Viking would sound like, I can almost guarantee it is not identical to any modern speaker -- I believe Dr. Crawford would probably agree with this.

22 minutes ago, Brick said:

I mean yeah, but I'm not going to know what the old versions sound like, and I doubt very many people do either, but that misses the point I'm making in that both these characters have accents from the British Isles. Sure Old English would sound different, but I can accept being told the character is English, and hearing a modern English accent. Would be nice if the Scandinavian character sounded Scandinavian, and pronounced Norse words correctly (like rolled Rs for example, and names like Odin would be pronounced with more of a "Th" sound, rather than a hard D, if I'm not mistaken). 

I don't know.  It doesn't matter to me, but I guess different people would have different preferences.  I am coming from a POV, that people from 1,000 years ago sound nothing like people from today.

As for magic, I am of the opinion that the series was full of magic from day one with your Super Nifty Turbo Vision that could see secret clues in the world and a magic machine disguised as one of science that could take a strand of DNA and somehow allow you to not only relive the memories of an ancestor, but have it play out differently (and "de-synchronize") that's not how memories work at all!

As time went on, it only got into the games more and more, sometimes just a bit at a time, but now we're making some real strides, I can control an arrow mid-flight or stomp the ground to light my weapons on fire. I can unleash an energy burst to stun enemies or even teleport! And that's fine by me, because it makes for a way more fun video game. Old Assassin's Creed was so fucking boring to play. And the constant dryness made all the historical figures seem like the most tedious people to ever exist. The past was full of color and superstition to the point where the concept of magic and monsters would be a daily concern as we all know! Incorporating that into the ancient history part makes it more interesting and fun without really having to sacrifice things like major events or historical landmarks. In fact, one of the biggest things to get me back into the series with Origins was the attention to detail in making Egypt seem like a lush, vibrant world despite the desert, there was so much detail in the scenery and buildings that I'd just sit there and admire them over and over.

Prior to that, AC really felt like a sightseeing tour with a shitty video game strapped on. Here's this building you know and a Wikipedia entry, go climb on it. But lately it's been more about the detail of the world around those landmarks, and the feeling that the world is vast and unknowable, without going down the path of literally hurling fireballs at each other. Although I'd totally play with my friends if we could form a standard MMO party and just explore the open world together trying to take down mythical gods and demons.

Yeah but Eagle Vision is just a gameplay mechanic, having literal magic would be going too far. Again if it's reasonable and explained well, like the fire weapons and force push is after you get a Piece of Eden, then sure, but go too far and you're breaking what the series is. Yeah going with friends to fight mythical creatures together does sound awesome, count me in, but just make it a different IP at that point. 

46 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

I can’t hardly remember shit about the first game. Except I was disappointed. 

The first game is one of the best ones but I don't recall eagle vision being a twist. The twist at the end of the first game was there are a million apple of edens in the world (look at all the sequels we can make!)

Unless he means the first game as in the first game = origins.

Isn't explained that Desmond's bloodline has a gene passed down through the generations that allows Eagle Visions, and it is because they're descendants/have DNA from those came before? I think I remember that. So again less magic and more sci-fi.

Again my main concern in terms of the whole magic thing is I don't want to be playing Valhalla, and feel like I'm playing the next God of War.

1 hour ago, Keyser_Soze said:

The first game is one of the best ones but I don't recall eagle vision being a twist. The twist at the end of the first game was there are a million apple of edens in the world (look at all the sequels we can make!)

Unless he means the first game as in the first game = origins.

It was a twist that Desmond could suddenly use the eagle vision outside of the animus and that there was shit all over the place you had been trapped the entire game, it was all right under your nose. I think I remember him using it to assist in his escape.

Anyway, the "magic" I'm talking about still isn't magic, it's still power from an artifact, but it's functionally magic, is what I mean. It's spells and abilities and stuns and fire and controlling arrows mid-air, but it's all just to make the gameplay fun. As far as I've seen in the story, they play it as straight as any other Assassin's Creed, people aren't throwing fireballs in cutscenes or anything. All that stuff is reserved for playing the game, not the story. I just actually have a lot of fun in combat now instead of hitting the counter button until I want Desmond to slit my throat in real life.

"I have special DNA that lets me see things with my special eyes" 

"I have special DNA that lets me shoot laser beams from my especial eyes"

His DNA lets him preform magic.  He has magic DNA.

Eagle Vision, also known as Odin-Sight by Viking Assassins, is an extrasensory perception, or "sixth sense", that lies dormant within human beings as a result of interbreeding between ancient human beings and Isu. Amongst the Isu, who naturally possessed complete access to this sixth sense, it was known simply as Knowledge.

Smells like magic. 

2 hours ago, Xbob42 said:

It was a twist that Desmond could suddenly use the eagle vision outside of the animus and that there was shit all over the place you had been trapped the entire game, it was all right under your nose. I think I remember him using it to assist in his escape.

I like the twist when you go to that airport in Brazil and start doing backflips with Desmond. What a great series!

9 hours ago, NeoJoe said:

The team that made Black Flag and Origins is behind this? I have 100% faith this is going to be amazing. :D

Only reason I don’t is how badly Ubisoft got lashed by fans over micro transaction schemes ruining Ghost Recon, causing poor sales and Ubisoft to delay everything. Now we have upcoming release dates, tells me Ubisoft has come up with a micro transaction scheme they think will make them lots of money and not loss people off. 

that worries me, because the two rarely go hand in hand for single player games. And Ubisoft has already tried just cosmetics. They wouldn’t need this long to go back to a scheme they’ve already used. 

I am very much waiting to see what they did. 

1 hour ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

Only reason I don’t is how badly Ubisoft got lashed by fans over micro transaction schemes ruining Ghost Recon, causing poor sales and Ubisoft to delay everything. Now we have upcoming release dates, tells me Ubisoft has come up with a micro transaction scheme they think will make them lots of money and not loss people off. 

that worries me, because the two rarely go hand in hand for single player games. And Ubisoft has already tried just cosmetics. They wouldn’t need this long to go back to a scheme they’ve already used. 

I am very much waiting to see what they did. 

I don't think AC was one of the games that was delayed (given that Schreier confirmed they are planning on releasing both Watch_Dogs and AC:V in the same quarter).  I would be happy if the microtransactions/DLC plans are exactly what was done with Odyssey.

20 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

I don't think AC was one of the games that was delayed (given that Schreier confirmed they are planning on releasing both Watch_Dogs and AC:V in the same quarter).  I would be happy if the microtransactions/DLC plans are exactly what was done with Odyssey.

Wasn’t odyssey panned by players for being too big of an XP grind in the game, which encourages you to by XP boosters? 

2 minutes ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

Wasn’t odyssey panned by players for being too big of an XP grind in the game, which encourages you to by XP boosters? 

I heard some people in the press say that.  I played it last spring, and I never found I was grinding XP.  In fact, I stopped doing the procedural side quests about 1/3 through the game, because I found I didn't need the XP from them.  I guess if you were strictly mainlining the game, it may have felt grindy though.

4 hours ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

I heard some people in the press say that.  I played it last spring, and I never found I was grinding XP.  In fact, I stopped doing the procedural side quests about 1/3 through the game, because I found I didn't need the XP from them.  I guess if you were strictly mainlining the game, it may have felt grindy though.

This.  I liked the fact that the procedural quests were in there, but I dropped those fairly quickly.

If you did the main quests only, you might have run into a wall.  IMO, most of the side quests (gold outline) or the tales of Greece had enough story meat on them to make them entertaining enough to do.  You do those and the main quests, it's pretty natural.

I also agree that microtransactions were done very well in Odyssey.