Assassin's Creed Valhalla - Information Thread, update: "The Last Chapter" trailer - free update that ties up the loose ends of Eivor's story

Commissar SFLUFAN

6 hours ago, Dodger said:

I’m only in the first area but uh you can’t stealth kill by hitting Y behind a guy anymore? Or do you unlock that later. I’m not seeing the prompt come up when I get behind an unaware enemy.

I assume it’s there in someway. They made a pretty big point of the hidden blade being back and assassinations being more powerful again. 

It's an AC game in the Origins/Odyssey lineage, so little is a surprise after a few hours, but for myself that's a generally good thing. The "starting area" is enormous all by itself, though it's not particularly dense. Overall I'm very excited to spend time in the game, despite the paragraphs that follow, because I do have a few early gripes that I'm pretty sure will last the duration of my (likely very long) playtime.

At least in the beginning, there aren't many fast travel points. Maybe this changes in the primary map, but it can take a while to get around, and I figured that if you visited a location you should be able to travel there, but I was sure that a captured a location would become a fast travel point. Not the case so far. Given how slow it is to climb these mountains, that's a real annoyance.

Another small annoyance is that it doesn't seem like the location dots that mark wealth or whatever always go away as soon as you loot the thing. I climbed up a mountain to get a treasure, found it, but my Raven still showed a bright gold marker. I spent a little while running around, then flying around, trying to see if there was a hidden cave or something. Eventually I left and the marker had been cleared. This hasn't always been the case, but when there's no fast travel point anywhere near, I want to make sure I get everything.

That said, I do like having the markers for even smaller treasures. I found it annoying in Ghost of Tsushima to clear out a huge camp and then hunt through it looking for steel or iron. With the markers I don't worry so much I forgot anything significant.

The skill tree is so much worse than I feared. It's only a step behind the freaking FFX sphere grid. Why the hell is there "fog of war" in a skill tree? Why hide what skills I'm building up towards? I already have a tab open of the whole thing, but it's annoying as hell to have to use it to figure out where I want to spend my points. I think the system itself is probably fine. I like the idea of investing skill points into passive traits that improve your usage of certain armor. I think it's fine to have to get small passive buffs to build up towards abilities, as it gives you constant progression without overwhelming you with useless abilities. It's just the presentation and the layout that I find needlessly complex and actively harmful in determining how to progress.

I've noticed a few visual bugs. Clipping, pop-in, characters sliding around, especially in combat. Stuff that I didn't see at all after finishing Ghost of Tsushima or TLOU2. Not a deal breaker, but it is a shame for a series that was the gold standard in animation be a step behind. Overall though it's a pretty game.

• Thanks 3

5 minutes ago, TwinIon said:

It's an AC game in the Origins/Odyssey lineage, so little is a surprise after a few hours, but for myself that's a generally good thing. The "starting area" is enormous all by itself, though it's not particularly dense. Overall I'm very excited to spend time in the game, despite the paragraphs that follow, because I do have a few early gripes that I'm pretty sure will last the duration of my (likely very long) playtime.

At least in the beginning, there aren't many fast travel points. Maybe this changes in the primary map, but it can take a while to get around, and I figured that if you visited a location you should be able to travel there, but I was sure that a captured a location would become a fast travel point. Not the case so far. Given how slow it is to climb these mountains, that's a real annoyance.

Another small annoyance is that it doesn't seem like the location dots that mark wealth or whatever always go away as soon as you loot the thing. I climbed up a mountain to get a treasure, found it, but my Raven still showed a bright gold marker. I spent a little while running around, then flying around, trying to see if there was a hidden cave or something. Eventually I left and the marker had been cleared. This hasn't always been the case, but when there's no fast travel point anywhere near, I want to make sure I get everything.

That said, I do like having the markers for even smaller treasures. I found it annoying in Ghost of Tsushima to clear out a huge camp and then hunt through it looking for steel or iron. With the markers I don't worry so much I forgot anything significant.

The skill tree is so much worse than I feared. It's only a step behind the freaking FFX sphere grid. Why the hell is there "fog of war" in a skill tree? Why hide what skills I'm building up towards? I already have a tab open of the whole thing, but it's annoying as hell to have to use it to figure out where I want to spend my points. I think the system itself is probably fine. I like the idea of investing skill points into passive traits that improve your usage of certain armor. I think it's fine to have to get small passive buffs to build up towards abilities, as it gives you constant progression without overwhelming you with useless abilities. It's just the presentation and the layout that I find needlessly complex and actively harmful in determining how to progress.

I've noticed a few visual bugs. Clipping, pop-in, characters sliding around, especially in combat. Stuff that I didn't see at all after finishing Ghost of Tsushima or TLOU2. Not a deal breaker, but it is a shame for a series that was the gold standard in animation be a step behind. Overall though it's a pretty game.

Thank you for some good honest impressions. I'm getting this soon.

3 hours ago, TwinIon said:

What are you playing it on? Debating on waiting to play it on either PS5 or whenever my number comes up to buy a 3080.

16 hours ago, Dodger said:

I’m only in the first area but uh you can’t stealth kill by hitting Y behind a guy anymore? Or do you unlock that later. I’m not seeing the prompt come up when I get behind an unaware enemy.

Its definitely in the game, but they said if you try to assassinate someone higher level there is like a mini skill check or something to do it in 1 shot.  Either QTE's or something else.

6 hours ago, best3444 said:

Thats a deal breaker for me, thank you for the heads up.

I finally put some time into it on the One X this afternoon. The stealth kill ability is there, but you need to get to a certain point in the story before you can use it. Don't worry, it's pretty early on.

It's weird, but it feels like it runs worse than Odyssey (and it probably does) BUT with Odyssey, the One X was the lead console, and now the Series X is the lead. So I guess I'm essentially getting the experience that I would've gotten with Odyssey on the base XBO. Fun times. That said, it doesn't run bad, but I've noticed a lot of screen tearing on the One X. 

I've put about four hours into it, but I do still kinda feel like the game hasn't started yet. The areas I'm in feel very land-locked and small. I'm sure this will open up later in the game but for now I feel like it doesn't have the exploration that Odyssey had. I remember Kassandra's starting island being pretty dense with shit to do, and right now I have yet to find a side quest or activity other than the story. Like I said, I'm sure it'll open up after a while, but I'm getting the urge to wander and there's really just not anything to do (yet). 

It's my OCD not letting me progress the story until I feel like I've done everything there is to possibly do in the area I'm at.

7 hours ago, TwinIon said:

I understand the complaint, but I also get what they were trying to do. Vikings were huge into stars/constellations so it makes sense. Too bad they couldn't make it as meaningful AND functional

Actual assassinations were already pretty useless in the last 2 games. Unless you put a bunch of points in the assassin skill tree, you basically couldn't assassinate 75% of enemies because stealth attacks didn't do enough damage. In Odyssey, even with maxed out assassin damage, I couldn't assassinate probably half of enemies. It was just a "stealth attack," which would cause the enemy to notice me, leading the whole fucking garrison to come charging at me.

I learned it's best not to play the games as stealth games anymore. Only use stealth as a way to "thin the herd" before going balls out on killing everyone in melee combat.

So I’ve played about 4hrs on my new Series X. 

Speaking in terms of fidelity only (since my opinions on gameplay match what everyone else has mentioned) - I’m not overly impressed. I know this is a cross-gen game, but to me, it looks solidly last-gen.  Even my 9yr old came out and said - “what’s next gen about this?”

my biggest issue is that I feel like the lighting is off. When you’re outside and in sunlight - it looks really good. But go inside and the lighting becomes very flat. The ambient light only has an affect when you’re very near it. Characters almost look grey to me. This also occurs outside when the sun is behind a mountain and your in the shadow. There’s no blend in the lighting. It’s either on or off. And what’s something startling is when the camera pans around while indoors and you get a glimpse through a door or window and the HDR or lighting is insanely bright. 

i didn’t play Odyssey but I played Origins and I almost feel like it was a better looking game. 

i checked settings and the only option I had available to adjust was the nits(I think). It was set to 800 by default. I bumped it up but didn’t notice a difference. And then there is an exposure setting, which I really don’t understand what that does either. 

I don't have too terribly much to say about the gameplay yet. Combat feels much refined and the alternative abilities you get with your secondary weapon by holding LB have been fucking great so far (the off-hand axe you can equip early on just has you pummeling the shit out of someone until you run out of stamina or let go, which I love) and I'm loving the new stun system where if you break their guard (accompanied by a stun meter on bigger enemies... kinda like Sekiro?) you get to perform a stun attack, which just outright kills weaker enemies, and deals a shitton of damage to bosses.

Visually the game seems pretty mixed. Like the two games before it, it has moments where it just looks amazing, and a lot of moments where it just kind of looks like a visually blurry open world game. I imagine this is much worse on last-gen consoles, but it hasn't been too bad at max settings on PC. It does feel like something isn't right though. Things like trees in the background will be blurry, even at 4k, with AA on or off. And I don't mean depth of field or anything, I have no idea what's going on, but it can really kill the visual quality when I notice it. It's not terrible or anything, but it really feels like it's lacking consistency at times.

I really like the skill tree. I had no issue with FFX's skill tree and I don't really care about "looking ahead" to plan a route on every skill tree. I consider that shit a huge waste of time when you can just spend your points as you get them. See something you like? Get it. Not doing it for you? You can use the reset skills button in the menu whenever you want. Personally I'm a bigger fan of surprises, seeing a cool new ability pop up that I didn't expect, rather than sitting and meticulously looking at little videos for each ability like in Odyssey. But this is something I imagine will be really subjective. That said, I mean, it takes a split second to spend a skill point, it's not a big deal. This isn't FFX where you had to manage spheres and all those bullshit.

And Assassin damage was just fine in Odyssey. If you wanted to assassinate, you'd spec into assassination and equip assassination gear. I played on the hardest damn difficulty possible, was NOT specialized into assassin damage and was able to assassinate most people easy. Especially with things like critical assassination, and the teleporting multi-chain assassination, or the active ability combat move that would use your assassin damage, which would finish off just about anyone that you didn't immediately kill. But even then, anyone with half a brain cell, even if the entire fortress was alerted, would figure out how to get out of sight, re-stealth, and get back to assassinating when the coast was clear. Hell, it was so OP you could do that in mid-combat against multiple mercenaries as a way to heal and squeak out a quicksave. I think a lot of people just get pissed off that they can't tap one button and auto-win, which I don't get why BECAUSE THAT WAS SO FUCKING BORING IN OLD ASSASSIN'S CREED.

Ahem. There's also a stealth difficulty option in this game on top of a combat one, which is extra nice. If they can quickly clean up some of these technical issues, I think it'll be a damn fine game. The combat alone has been a ton of fun so far. The first active ability I chose was the one where you tackle an enemy and then just alternate between LB and RB to beat the shit out of them with your bare fists. Good times! My second was a Panzer Dragoon-style ranged ability that targets a ton of enemies at once, and then fires an arrow at all of them simultaneously. Watching your bow with like 8 arrows on it is hilarious.

Also, they seem to be leaning more into proper boss fights now, which I'm a huge fan of. I've been loving them in Origins and Odyssey, but they felt like they intentionally put them way out of the way there, with only a couple being in the story proper. I ate some magic shrooms on a random island and hallucinated a challenge where a bunch of people wielding magic rodes and shit were shooting fireballs and energy beams at me, but I ran away since they were dramatically higher than my level. It was visually cool, conceptually cool, and a great way to add things like magic-wielding enemies into more of the game without it breaking "muh immersion" too much. Obviously, the end of every AC is about almost literal magic anyway, but since no one ever beats them they don't know that!

Seriously, I didn't beat Origins or Odyssey yet (I still intend to, but I enjoy doing all the random shit too much and then get distracted by other games after so long) and I looked up the modern day cutscenes (that I, and I alone in this universe, enjoy) and boy is the ending of Odyssey fucking crazy.

• Thanks 1

Wait, if the ability to respec is there at any time, then I don’t understand peoples skill tree complaint at all. If you didn’t know what was coming and it locked you into your choice forever I could see being upset. But if you can just change it whenever? Just change what you don’t like haha

• Like 1

17 hours ago, ARZ said:

I understand the complaint, but I also get what they were trying to do. Vikings were huge into stars/constellations so it makes sense. Too bad they couldn't make it as meaningful AND functional

Yeah. There are a ton of ways to build constellations into the game, if that's what they want to do. Origins had a whole little mini event of looking at stars and matching shapes to constellations (though I wasn't a fan of that particular activity). I would argue that unless your menu system is diegetic (like the map in TLOU2), make it functional first and foremost (and even then, a diegetic menu should still be clear and easy to use, again, like TLOU2). 

21 hours ago, Dexterryu said:

What are you playing it on? Debating on waiting to play it on either PS5 or whenever my number comes up to buy a 3080.

PC. 2080 Super, Ryzen 3800X. So far it's running pretty well for me, but I get occasional frame drops which is odd.

7 hours ago, Mercury33 said:

Wait, if the ability to respec is there at any time, then I don’t understand peoples skill tree complaint at all. If you didn’t know what was coming and it locked you into your choice forever I could see being upset. But if you can just change it whenever? Just change what you don’t like haha

That is certainly the saving grace of the whole thing.

My complaint is primarily that any kind of clear presentation of this same system would have been a clear positive without any drawbacks. As it is, I can either look up a complete tree online and find the skills I'm interested in, or I can invest points towards a tree that might give me what I want, find out it doesn't, and build somewhere else. The fact that I can respec for free doesn't make the system any easier to use, easier to plan out, or (perhaps most important for a progression system) give me something to purposefully build towards.

That last point is particularly important in Valhalla where the way you build out your skill tree changes the effectiveness of your armor. Knowing what the skills are is kind of important for deciding how I want to invest in my armor, which I don't think is easily undone.

I don't want to blow this out of proportion. This isn't ruining my time in the game. It's not some fatal flaw that changes how I feel about the entire experience. It's certainly not something I'd say should influence a purchasing decision. It's just a pet peeve of mine that is all the more frustrating because this game's immediate predecessor was so incredibly clear in its skill tree. This was a solved problem that they overcomplicated and made worse.

13 hours ago, atom631 said:

So...has anyone been able to beat

Hide contents

Erik Loyalskull?

I must’ve tried 50 total. Found him early on and came back at power level 17 and I still can’t beat him. 

he’s definitely the new oingo boingo from Fallen Order. 

Gave up and moved on. Though in fairness, i'm power level 1, LOL

16 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

So I guess I totally missed where this wasn't on Steam. Bummer. Went ahead and bought it through Uplay, because fuck Epic. But I'm going out of town tomorrow and won't be back til Monday. I'll start it then.

Small indie dev Ubisoft needs that extra 20% and epic exclusivity money to stay afloat.

I continue to enjoy the skill tree, but I also continue to prefer to be surprised by a game rather than have all the features and abilities and everything laid bare from moment one. Surprise factor is a huge part of why I enjoy video games, so I guess I like that in just about every aspect it makes sense in. I think that's also why I absolutely ADORE the ability system using tomes of knowledge. They're locked behind hidden areas, and sometimes puzzles or just behind a ton of guards, and give you a new active ability. Reminds me a lot of Metroid in that way, actually. Obviously they're (so far) combat abilities rather than new traversal powers, but it really tickles my surprise bone, if you catch my drift.

And while I still don't think this is the most technically amazing game, I am finding myself taking plenty of screenshots. Dunno how well screenshot then imgur compression crushes them (+no HDR) but I really enjoy all the different lighting and sprawling vistas. I like how we're getting longer and longer draw distances with more and more detail, so a distant mountain goes from some N64-looking thing in Skyrim to a much more pronounced and filled out bit of terrain in Valhalla.

sBFnWeB.jpg

qNAtWNG.jpg

ktlYj8A.jpg

2t3RKbA.jpg

XPcKemu.jpg

xa9w0nD.jpg

IUZrNSQ.jpg

gxqRLtD.jpg

1P5NEgC.jpg

BTYvT61.jpg

rBH3RB5.jpg

I also enjoy the wide variety of environments. All these are just from a single play session.  I am very much enjoying myself. Between this and Yakuza Like A Dragon, really not sure where I'm gonna find time to even open up my PS5 tomorrow, but I'm sure I'll start Demon's Souls as well and be swamped by too many games.

• Thanks 1

Oh wow, some of those screenshots have a VERY Witcher 3 feel to them. Which is quite the contrast from the almost pastel feeling color pallet of the last two games. 

Im with you on the tome’s for upgrades. It gives even more meaning to exploring. One of the things that drove me nuts in gsmes like Skyrim is finding a cool cave or area, working your way through and then there’s nothing really at the end. I mean it’s awesome that I found a secret cave and how complex it was, but having no reward eventually made me

not care about exploring. So I’m really excited to get into this. 

How is the music? Does it stand out in any cool norse inspired ways or is it just kinda there?

I also thought a lot of it felt like the Witcher 3 in how it looks, which is probably why I like the vistas so much. A lot of the music fades into the background in that typical Assassin's Creed way, but what I assume is the main theme (or at least what I consider the main theme) is a very lovely female vocal track that I absolutely adore, and that fits the setting so well. I haven't noticed any bad or annoying music.

Also, there's these things called world events, and while I can't really distinguish how they're different from just normal quests so far to be 100% sure, they feel like spontaneous things that pop up or just exist as you get near, but that also remind me of the Witcher 3. Like a pair of guys who are clearly terrible vikings, they're trying to light their own house on fire to simulate a raid, but they have no fire. So you can initiate the world event by just chucking a torch onto their house, which lights it on fire. Then they say they've left all their valuables inside to make it seem more real, but they're too weak to bust down the door and can't remember where the key is, and shenanigans ensue. The tone of each world event has been wildly different, with many being lighthearted and some being serious, but the interesting bit is that they seem to be multi-part affairs. So you finish it, and then maybe you'll come across the next chapter later, so that you can continue to follow the story of these characters without necessarily having to clog up your quest log or "power through" a quest chain.

Exploring has definitely been worth it so far. I'm fleshing out my active abilities nicely, and some of the abilities you get are quite strong. Rather than scaling, it looks like they've just given each area its own power rating, so if I go into a place with super high level enemies, it can be rough to deal a lot of damage. It's not as bad as previous games where your attacks literally do nothing (allegedly, in my experience things were highly resistant to damage but still killable), you can still kill, it just requires precision and some strategy. While my basic attacks might not be able to do a ton of damage, I've got a harpoon attack that yanks and enemy to the left, and if they happen to run into a wall, a hazard, or another person, it deals massive damage, even if they're higher level. So I've been using that to make headway in zones I'm probably too low level for otherwise. That makes said ability that I got from a hidden tome feel all the more rewarding. It still requires adrenaline and has a cooldown, so it's not like I've broken the game, but I'm more than happy to use it every time I fill up my adrenaline gauge.

They've also dramatically reduced the amount of loot that drops, including gear. Depending on how you view loot drops, this might seem like a negative at first, but it has made gear upgrades much more enjoyable to find because they're rare. I'm not looting 900 corpses after every fight, only a couple enemies at most might have anything at all, and usually it's some minor junk items, a tiny amount of currency, or maybe a rune to slot into my gear. I don't think I've seen any gear drop from random enemies. So when I do see it pop up as a reward out of a chest or a quest reward, it's very exciting. Especially since, and I might be misremembering here, but I don't think there's levels associated with gear anymore. Gear is just gear, you can upgrade it and put runes into it, but you don't have to worry about leveling it up to keep it relevant like in previous titles. So you choose your gear based on your playstyle or visual preference, rather than just having to go into your inventory frequently to make sure you're equipped with the highest level stuff, which did become a big chore in Odyssey.

Further, I would like to reiterate that they seem to be going much further into boss fight territory, in a way I really enjoy. Fought an old man who wanted to die an honorable death to show his son that our kind doesn't just die in bed, coughing and sick. You obviously expect to walk over and engage in basic AC combat where you can probably jankily assassinate him before he's even pulled out his weapon or some nonsense, but a fucking enormous health bar (and triple stagger bar) pops up and this dude starts half his fights with me (I died many times, he was way out of my power range) by jumping 10 feet into the air and fucking burying two fishing spears into my torso. Unfortunately, I think a few little cheap tricks need a once-over to make sure they don't break fights. On like my 10th attempt I noticed my secondary weapon's spinning attack staggered him each hit without fail, and filled up my adrenaline, and using my adrenaline attack restored my stamina, so before he could recover I was back to staggering him. I was able to cheese him like this and just felt like I robbed myself of a cool fight because I found it amusing. Not every enemy is so easily staggered, but I can see now why putting things like super armor on enemies after a time to stop this kind of cheese is good for the overall health of a game. Save players from themselves, y'know?

I played it all yesterday, and am happy to jump back in today.

I'm playing on hardest combat and stealth difficulty. Hasn't been terribly difficult, and I think that there's unfortunately still some bugs related to combat and stealth. Have had a few enemies just stop fighting a few times and stand there, and some enemies even on master stealth seem really dumb.

• Thanks 1

On 11/10/2020 at 8:46 PM, Fizzzzle said:

Actual assassinations were already pretty useless in the last 2 games. Unless you put a bunch of points in the assassin skill tree, you basically couldn't assassinate 75% of enemies because stealth attacks didn't do enough damage. In Odyssey, even with maxed out assassin damage, I couldn't assassinate probably half of enemies. It was just a "stealth attack," which would cause the enemy to notice me, leading the whole fucking garrison to come charging at me.

I learned it's best not to play the games as stealth games anymore. Only use stealth as a way to "thin the herd" before going balls out on killing everyone in melee combat.

you needed both the skills and the highly spec’d armor and weaponry. I had a stealth loadout that could assassinate nearly anyone. 

Two perks on weapons did a lot of of. “100% Damage but health capped to 25%” and “+20% damage with critical assassination” for armor I used the pirate set which gave me +50% damage with assassin abilities. 

I had nearly 365,000 assassin damage that was boosted by critical assassinate. When maxed the skill did 300% your assassin damage. Then all the other skill boosting perks. 

I had no problems instantly killing anyone. I couldn’t take a hit due to only having 25% 

health, but I could easily stealth kill my way through any fort in the game. 

and then I had a loadout saved that was spec’d for Warrior. I could easily switch if I needed to be in fights where stealth wasn’t an option. Like boss fights. 

25 minutes ago, best3444 said:

So is there any hunting in this? Exploration like odyssey? Is it an open world or more linear?

you can hunt if you want - theres plenty of wildlife. you get leather and claws/fangs as a reward. leather is obv used to uprade armor and the claws/fangs are used for bartering