Assassin's Creed Valhalla - Information Thread, update: "The Last Chapter" trailer - free update that ties up the loose ends of Eivor's story

Commissar SFLUFAN

I'm 9 hours in and this is different than any ass creed game I've played. I think overall that's a good thing but I have a feeling this game will be massive like odyssey. Quest can take a long time and I know I'm so extremely early in the game.

Overall, I'm having fun with it. I'll play more tonight.

Questions about this game, if anyone has the time and is inclined... I'm debating on getting this game now or waiting a bit until it goes on sale.

I'm a long time AC player... and I want to ask how much is it like Odyssey and in which ways? I have a love/hate with that game. I really liked the characters, world, and combat but I really disliked the quest system and how it seemed to punish you for wanting to progress in the main story in favor of the myriad of mostly shitty side quests with it's level/level scaling system. In many ways both issues seemed built around padding the game length or encouraging me to buy "Time Savers" like XP boosters.

Things that drove me nuts with the quest system in AC Odyssey were the stuff like this:

The Medusa & Minotaur quests... I was really enjoying enjoying hunting them down and in both cases I was helping an NPC that took me RIGHT TO THE FREAKING DOOR to both and then they both sprang up a 3 pronged mundane sidequest to go get the key.

The main story, I enjoyed quite a bit too but was frustrated by how difficult the game made it to progress by throwing up silly blockers or jumping 4-6 levels between chapters so just when you start getting into the plot you have to take a break from it and grind some sidequests. Don't get my wrong, I like sidequests, especially when they are meaningful or add some character to the world (Witcher 3 does this really well).

Anyhow... how much & how different are Odyssey and Valhalla in this way?

Thanks again for reading and your recommendations.

24 minutes ago, Dexterryu said:

Questions about this game, if anyone has the time and is inclined... I'm debating on getting this game now or waiting a bit until it goes on sale.

I'm a long time AC player... and I want to ask how much is it like Odyssey and in which ways? I have a love/hate with that game. I really liked the characters, world, and combat but I really disliked the quest system and how it seemed to punish you for wanting to progress in the main story in favor of the myriad of mostly shitty side quests with it's level/level scaling system. In many ways both issues seemed built around padding the game length or encouraging me to buy "Time Savers" like XP boosters.

Things that drove me nuts with the quest system in AC Odyssey were the stuff like this:

The Medusa & Minotaur quests... I was really enjoying enjoying hunting them down and in both cases I was helping an NPC that took me RIGHT TO THE FREAKING DOOR to both and then they both sprang up a 3 pronged mundane sidequest to go get the key.

The main story, I enjoyed quite a bit too but was frustrated by how difficult the game made it to progress by throwing up silly blockers or jumping 4-6 levels between chapters so just when you start getting into the plot you have to take a break from it and grind some sidequests. Don't get my wrong, I like sidequests, especially when they are meaningful or add some character to the world (Witcher 3 does this really well).

Anyhow... how much & how different are Odyssey and Valhalla in this way?

Thanks again for reading and your recommendations.

Its similar in that it’s the next step in the progression of the game that started with Origins. The combat is similar but improved IMO. So far the world is great. Not as vibrantly bright, more along the lines of what you saw in Witcher 3. But there’s still a lot of beauty there. Running on top of a snowy mountain while the moonlight reflects off the snow is pretty breathtaking. I’m not too far along but the characters seem pretty on point as well. And unlike Odyssey both the male and female are acted well haha. 

So your main gripe seemed to be the side quest system? That is WAY different. Instead of collecting a series of level based side quests that you complete one by one they’ve gone with a “points of light” system. Basically on the map you see either Yellow(treasure) Blue(Mysteries) or White(artifacts) points of light. Think of them like a color coded version of the “?” from Witcher 3. So you can choose which to go to and you know what you’re getting. The treasure ones are typically the important materials needed for upgrading your gear. The artifacts are new gear(of which there is much much less) or abilities and the Mysteries are your side quests. 

So far I haven’t run into any really long side quests(although I believe they do exist) most of them are fun little stories that are contained to the immediate area. As a result the game has a better flow. It’s much easier to play through the single player and take detours when you see something cool. Or just spend some time exploring if you want. But so far it’s never felt like I HAVE to run the side quests. Simply that they’re there for a nice change of pace. It’s much better than Odyssey IMO. 

Hope that helps :)

3 minutes ago, Mercury33 said:

Its similar in that it’s the next step in the progression of the game that started with Origins. The combat is similar but improved IMO. So far the world is great. Not as vibrantly bright, more along the lines of what you saw in Witcher 3. But there’s still a lot of beauty there. Running on top of a snowy mountain while the moonlight reflects off the snow is pretty breathtaking. I’m not too far along but the characters seem pretty on point as well. And unlike Odyssey both the male and female are acted well haha. 

So your main gripe seemed to be the side quest system? That is WAY different. Instead of collecting a series of level based side quests that you complete one by one they’ve gone with a “points of light” system. Basically on the map you see either Yellow(treasure) Blue(Mysteries) or White(artifacts) points of light. Think of them like a color coded version of the “?” from Witcher 3. So you can choose which to go to and you know what you’re getting. The treasure ones are typically the important materials needed for upgrading your gear. The artifacts are new gear(of which there is much much less) or abilities and the Mysteries are your side quests. 

So far I haven’t run into any really long side quests(although I believe they do exist) most of them are fun little stories that are contained to the immediate area. As a result the game has a better flow. It’s much easier to play through the single player and take detours when you see something cool. Or just spend some time exploring if you want. But so far it’s never felt like I HAVE to run the side quests. Simply that they’re there for a nice change of pace. It’s much better than Odyssey IMO. 

Hope that helps :)

Thank you. This is very very helpful. Sidequests contained to the immediate area are really good to hear. That was the other thing I hated about Odyssey is that they tended to send you all over the map to track something down... even with the fast travel system it was annoying. Definitely going to get this one now. 

3 minutes ago, Mercury33 said:

Is it because of the lack of God Like abilities? Or the core combat itself?

i just feel like its slower.  im sure i need to upgrade more stuff and all that to hopefully have a better feel. 

the parrys feel really inconsistent as well.  like the parry indicator will pop but there is a delay between that and the enemy attack.  im sure i need to get used to that more as well though

That's not a parry indicator. Well, not how you think it is. 

Red indicators mean you can't parry or block. 

Orange indicators mean, I think, that you can't block but can parry. I say I think since I never block. 

However, those are just warnings. For the actual parry, block or dodge, you have to watch the actual attack animation. This isn't Batman where the indicator means pushing the button will get you a counter. Any attack with no indicator can also be parried. 

I've actually found the parry window quite generous. And the combat is definitely faster, things like stun attacks, stomps and more powerful abilities have me ending fights so much faster even on max difficulty and enemies way out of my level range. Sounds like you might be playing a little defensively, don't be afraid to get in there and beat the shit out of enemies. Especially early on, when they have dinky wooden shields you can shatter with a few heavy attacks. You can also hold LB/L1 to use your off hand attack, which is often very powerful and satisfying. 

1 minute ago, best3444 said:

@Xbob42 I'm 14 hours in and still I am a little confused what the main story arc is? What is the main goal in the game? They throw a lot of characters and locations that I cannot even pronounce at you really fast. It’s difficult to keep track of characters etc. In short, what is the goal in the game?

Thanks

You could ask me that about literally any Assassin's Creed game and I'd have the same blank stare as an answer every time. I don't play these games for the main story so I don't really know. Eivor wants to build a settlement but there's proto-templars related to the dude who killed their dad and uh, your visions kind of guide you I guess?

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, best3444 said:

@Xbob42 I'm 14 hours in and still I am a little confused what the main story arc is? What is the main goal in the game? They throw a lot of characters and locations that I cannot even pronounce at you really fast. It’s difficult to keep track of characters etc. In short, what is the goal in the game?

Thanks

Im about 13 hours in so the story really hasn’t opened up yet but...

Eivor and his “brother” Sigurd have moved to England to start a new life. After killing the leader who was oppressing their clan back in Norway another leader came along and wanted to unite all the Danes under his banner. They weren’t interested in living under another ruler so they left to start their own settlement. Once there Sigurd leaves to seek out the Danes who had already landed in England and established a foothold. He wants to make nice with them so they don’t step on any toes basically. 

The underlying story is that during his travels Sigurd met two members of the Hidden Ones. This of course being the guild that Aya and Byak founded at the end of Origins. We’re in 897 so this order will transition to being known as the Assassins sometime over the next 2/300 years. They’ve tagged along for the ride because ever since the Romans retreated out of England 400ish years earlier their order has had almost zero presence in England. That has allowed the Ancient One, the group that will eventually pivot into being called the Templars, to gain massive footholds throughout the kingdoms. The two Assassins you’re traveling with have been tasked with eliminating the Ancient Ones from England. 

They approach Eivor about helping them with this task since it would be mutually beneficial to both parties for Eivor to take out the Ancient Ones. So at this point in the story you are helping to eliminate some low level targets for the Assassins as you work with your clan to create alliances to establish yourselves on the continent. 

Thats kind of it for the story so far, that I’ve gotten through. Not much of a story arc yet, just more of some basic motivations for what you’re doing. Although seeing as this is an AC game I’m sure that revenge will become a driving force at some point or another haha. 

If you want help with the modern story I’m gonna need a bunch more paragraphs lol

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Mercury33 said:

Im about 13 hours in so the story really hasn’t opened up yet but...

Eivor and his “brother” Sigurd have moved to England to start a new life. After killing the leader who was oppressing their clan back in Norway another leader came along and wanted to unite all the Danes under his banner. They weren’t interested in living under another ruler so they left to start their own settlement. Once there Sigurd leaves to seek out the Danes who had already landed in England and established a foothold. He wants to make nice with them so they don’t step on any toes basically. 

The underlying story is that during his travels Sigurd met two members of the Hidden Ones. This of course being the guild that Aya and Byak founded at the end of Origins. We’re in 897 so this order will transition to being known as the Assassins sometime over the next 2/300 years. They’ve tagged along for the ride because ever since the Romans retreated out of England 400ish years earlier their order has had almost zero presence in England. That has allowed the Ancient One, the group that will eventually pivot into being called the Templars, to gain massive footholds throughout the kingdoms. The two Assassins you’re traveling with have been tasked with eliminating the Ancient Ones from England. 

They approach Eivor about helping them with this task since it would be mutually beneficial to both parties for Eivor to take out the Ancient Ones. So at this point in the story you are helping to eliminate some low level targets for the Assassins as you work with your clan to create alliances to establish yourselves on the continent. 

Thats kind of it for the story so far, that I’ve gotten through. Not much of a story arc yet, just more of some basic motivations for what you’re doing. Although seeing as this is an AC game I’m sure that revenge will become a driving force at some point or another haha. 

If you want help with the modern story I’m gonna need a bunch more paragraphs lol

Fantastic. Thank you!

Decided to do Ubisoft Connect + to play this game at little risk, plus get the DLC for Odyssey that I never played (and also Immortals next month). 

I'm very glad I did. The game feels much tighter and self restrained, especially for an UBI game, in terms of not just giving the player a bunch of mostly inconsequential crap to do.

Compared to Odyssey, I also like the characters much more so far too. They seem to actually have relationships with each other and less like various generic caricatures. This is especially true of Eivor, who seems to have a realistic disposition in light her childhood. Compared to Kasandra (who I liked) just seem to cheery and chill. I'm still in the prologue so my impression is very very early still but the starting area and quests are just much tighter/better written and less generic.

20201117213623.jpg?w=640
ACOUP.BLOG

We're going to be a bit silly this week (in part because the ending of this compressed semester has left me with little time) and talk about the recently released historical action-RPG computer (and console) game, Assassin's Creed: Valhalla, set in 9th century Norway and England. And, as with the last time we did this,…

An interesting article discussing the games historical accuracies and inaccuracies in regards to weapons ,armor, and race. Also the games disconnect with making heros out of a group of people who were "less then humane" when it comes to the treatment enemy prisoners and its own people.

10 hours ago, BloodyHell said:

Now that I finished up the immediate games I wanted to play on PS5, I am diving headfirst into this. I played up to where you get to England, but I knew that this game would be way too engrossing to play between other games. 

From now till cyberpunk, this is all I plan to play, mostly. 

I will beat this before I start Cyberpunk. I'm having a lot of fun with it. It has a much different feel than previous ass creed games in a good way. 

41 minutes ago, best3444 said:

I will beat this before I start Cyberpunk. I'm having a lot of fun with it. It has a much different feel than previous ass creed games in a good way. 

Agreed. I liked Odyssey a lot, but there was way too much shit to do that was just inconsequential bs. This is still hyge, but a lot more manageable not having a gundred side quests scattered across a huge fame world. 

1 hour ago, BloodyHell said:

Agreed. I liked Odyssey a lot, but there was way too much shit to do that was just inconsequential bs. This is still hyge, but a lot more manageable not having a gundred side quests scattered across a huge fame world. 

I am wrapping up the Atlantis DLC now.  I really liked the game, but it was too big and bloated.  Hard to follow what the main story even was.

I am hoping Valhalla is a bit more streamlined.

10 minutes ago, johnny said:

Downloading now. Who are you enjoying more: male or female Eivor? 

I set it to "default" which allegedly switches back and forth depending on which version is "stronger" or something? I don't know what that means, I thought it'd be story-influenced but I've been female Eivor the entire game so far. Granted, I'm not very far at all in the actual story since I play these games like Skyrim where I just go do side shit for 95 hours and then eventually stop playing once I've had my fun, but I thought the idea of me switching between two versions of the same character was cool.

That said, I've found female Eivor to be perfectly fine. Not quite as much as I liked Kassandra, and what little I have seen of male Eivor seems far better than Alexios.

2 minutes ago, best3444 said:

I can only tell you the male Eivor voice acting is solid. His character model looks incredible.

Yup. He is in the Last Kingdom

Assassins-Creed-Valhalla-Ultimate-Editio
COGCONNECTED.COM

Ubisoft has hired Danish actors Magnus Bruun and Cecilie Stenspil to play the male and female versions of Eivor in Assassin's Creed Valhalla.

24 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

I set it to "default" which allegedly switches back and forth depending on which version is "stronger" or something? I don't know what that means, I thought it'd be story-influenced but I've been female Eivor the entire game so far. Granted, I'm not very far at all in the actual story since I play these games like Skyrim where I just go do side shit for 95 hours and then eventually stop playing once I've had my fun, but I thought the idea of me switching between two versions of the same character was cool.

That said, I've found female Eivor to be perfectly fine. Not quite as much as I liked Kassandra, and what little I have seen of male Eivor seems far better than Alexios.

From what I read that mode is pretty much all female, it only switches to male in a few small special (not primary storyline) sections of the game.