Assassin's Creed Valhalla - Information Thread, update: "The Last Chapter" trailer - free update that ties up the loose ends of Eivor's story

Commissar SFLUFAN

I'm wrapping up Odyssey now.  I didn't love it at first, felt too big and bloated.  Still do feel its too big and bloated, but it's grown on me and really loving it.  I think I finished the main story line last night, now just wrapping up the other stuff.  Can't wait to start Valhalla though.

2 minutes ago, JPDunks4 said:

I'm wrapping up Odyssey now.  I didn't love it at first, felt too big and bloated.  Still do feel its too big and bloated, but it's grown on me and really loving it.  I think I finished the main story line last night, now just wrapping up the other stuff.  Can't wait to start Valhalla though.

Don’t miss out on the DLC - by far the best part of Odyssey. 

7 hours ago, crispy4000 said:

Preference for steady framerate over locked resolution.  When it's done right, I prefer it.  Especially with the high resolutions most modern games target.

I don’t think I’ve ever played a game with the option on PC where it wasn’t awful. On consoles they seem to be able to fine-tune it, but when actually “dynamic” on a non-closed setting like a PC it doesn’t seem to know what to do :p 

36 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

I don’t think I’ve ever played a game with the option on PC where it wasn’t awful. On consoles they seem to be able to fine-tune it, but when actually “dynamic” on a non-closed setting like a PC it doesn’t seem to know what to do :p 

Titanfall 2 did it well to my memory.

Wooo! Finally beat the dude in the cave. Arrows and duel wielding axes are your friend haha

Finished up finding everything in the opening area last night and getting ready to do the last quest. I think I need to chill on doing every single dot cause I’m at 8h 45m and the real part of the game hasn’t even started yet 😂

Honestly I personally LOVE the way skills and abilities are handled. Having new abilities in the tombs of knowledge adds such a rewarding feeling to exploration. And I dig the constellation skill tree. It’s fun picking a path and wondering what will pop up next. I mean the ability to respec at any time with zero penalty or cost counters the whole “I don’t like now knowing where to go” criticism. Personally I haven’t used the respec yet because I like the idea that I’m not making a dash for all the best abilities right away. Feels like I could still unlock something useful and cool later in the game this way. 

25 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

But you wouldn't be able to find a PC player who kept it turned on to tell you if it was. :p

I played through the campaign with dynamic resolution enabled (at 4k) on my 1060.  Worked fine.  The only times I ever got framerate dips  was in cutscenes.

The game goes above and beyond with it on high end PCs too.  You can run it higher than native and super sample it down, while still keeping it dynamic to cover frame drops.

6 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

I played through the campaign with dynamic resolution enabled (at 4k) on my 1060.  Worked fine.  The only times I ever got framerate dips  was in cutscenes.

The game goes above and beyond with it on high end PCs too.  You can run it higher than native and super sample it down, while still keeping it dynamic to cover frame drops.

The source engine scales very well.

Playing on the hardest combat difficulty and the hardest stealth. I... don’t know what easy stealth would be like. Can you just walk right up to enemies without them caring? Enemies also lose sight of me almost immediately when I break LOS and hide in a shrub. Also ran into a situation where one of the named characters managing a town saw me go into a restricted area, got aggro and tried to kill me, then after I broke LOS and became anonymous, treated me normally when she saw me again. Is the stealth and its difficulty bugged? Also I know they brought social stealth back, but 15 hours or so into the game hasn’t presented any meaningful opportunities to use it.

Combat difficulty at this level isn’t hard, per se, you just have to pay attention. The big enemies /zealots specifically dunk on you very hard and seem immune to some of my cheese strats like throwing them off cliffs. I was there was more variety in stun finishers.

Also I keep forgetting I don’t have Kassandra’s Wonder Woman style “don’t take fall damage” perk because I keep flinging myself off cliffs and getting hurt or dying :p

The game also does a super lousy job of explaining how some aspects of parkour work. It only really matters if you’re chasing tattoos but I dunno how someone who hasn’t played these games since at least Unity would know when to press / hold A vs. B, or nothing except the sticks.

Aside from the stealth being “broken” the game is quite good. I like the characters, even if Eivor seems a bit too “blank canvas” sometimes (hey you seem to like your peaceful job, that’s nice / I would have tortured that guy more than you did). Some of the “mystery” stuff is calling ALL THE WAY back to Assassin’s Creed II, which is cool to see. I’m really enjoying it, but I feel so far the same way that I have about most of the “good” games in the series since Bro and the end of Revelations... if there was just a little more impact or punch or something the game could be really special. As it is, it’s quite fun and easy to recommend if you’ve liked any of the games since Origins. I’m interested to see how they lean into the whole Viking... thing... since we know how that ends.

A little pissed at this game ATM.  I found a nice little cabin with a locked door.  When you try to open the door it says something like you need to find the key...  so that has happened previously and the key was nearby - so I go searching.  Spend a solid 30 minutes looking around destroying stuff, burning stuff.  Finally I gave up and googled it, that cabin is tied to some mission that gives you the key.  Sigh.  So I moved ahead and Oh cool I found an anomaly.  I get almost to the end of it (it involves platforming and moving beams of light around) and I can't finish it.  For some reason one of the beams keeps resetting on me then not allowing me to interact with it again.  I finally google that and found that it is a known glitch and the solution is to wait for a patch.  Great.  

37 minutes ago, number305 said:

A little pissed at this game ATM.  I found a nice little cabin with a locked door.  When you try to open the door it says something like you need to find the key...  so that has happened previously and the key was nearby - so I go searching.  Spend a solid 30 minutes looking around destroying stuff, burning stuff.  Finally I gave up and googled it, that cabin is tied to some mission that gives you the key.  Sigh.  So I moved ahead and Oh cool I found an anomaly.  I get almost to the end of it (it involves platforming and moving beams of light around) and I can't finish it.  For some reason one of the beams keeps resetting on me then not allowing me to interact with it again.  I finally google that and found that it is a known glitch and the solution is to wait for a patch.  Great.  

Some of that gating is a bit weird; found a barred door with no way to get into it, and after a few minutes I decided it was story related and I ended up being right. Other areas of the early game straight up say, “area not available” which would be a fine way to keep people from butting their heads against things that literally cannot be done right then. Also kinda weird when you purge an area of mobs, then the next story event brings you back there and everyone’s respawned. :p

Only other LUL the game keeps delivering is where you use your battering ram to gain access to certain parts of a town during a siege... but as soon as you get in there, all your troops are inside fighting with the enemies already. Why didn’t someone tell me I could just walk in :p

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

Some of that gating is a bit weird; found a barred door with no way to get into it, and after a few minutes I decided it was story related and I ended up being right. Other areas of the early game straight up say, “area not available” which would be a fine way to keep people from butting their heads against things that literally cannot be done right then. Also kinda weird when you purge an area of mobs, then the next story event brings you back there and everyone’s respawned. :p

Only other LUL the game keeps delivering is where you use your battering ram to gain access to certain parts of a town during a siege... but as soon as you get in there, all your troops are inside fighting with the enemies already. Why didn’t someone tell me I could just walk in :p

Exactly. I like the game but the setup for a solvable mystery can't be the same as an unsolvable one. 

18 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

Is HDR kinda dark/washed out for anyone else? Playing on XSX. I shut off HDR via the console settings and it looks A LOT better with it off, way brighter and the colors are more vibrant.

Same issue on PC. I looked on Reddit and it seems to be a problem for just about everyone, regardless of platform. Though I haven't heard much from the Playstation camp.

• Thanks 1

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Assassin's Creed Valhalla - Information Thread, update: reviews from OpenCritic posted
2 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

Is HDR kinda dark/washed out for anyone else? Playing on XSX. I shut off HDR via the console settings and it looks A LOT better with it off, way brighter and the colors are more vibrant.

absolutely. I made mention of it a page back or so. There is definitely something off with the lighting in this game. It goes from blindingly bright to washed out grayish in color in literally 2 steps sometimes. 

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

No, screen tearing doesn’t roll up or down like a bad signal on an old tube TV. At least not on PC. The image literally tears in places and jumps back, doesn’t roll around.

This is what I think of in regards to screen tearing: 

What’s going on in Valhalla is a little different and not akin to ST I’m used to seeing on other games :confused: 

I’m not saying it’s not technically ST, just that it’s definitely different :p 

27 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

This is what I think of in regards to screen tearing: 

What’s going on in Valhalla is a little different and not akin to ST I’m used to seeing on other games :confused: 

I’m not saying it’s not technically ST, just that it’s definitely different :p 

Watch the above DF video at 10:45

The screen is tearing so much an so often it looks like what you are describing .