Assassin's Creed Valhalla - Information Thread, update: "The Last Chapter" trailer - free update that ties up the loose ends of Eivor's story

Commissar SFLUFAN

2 hours ago, best3444 said:

I agree he wasn't harsh enough in a few things. The enemy AI has made me laugh a few times so that's at least good. I put the combat on easy and I literally pillage an entire village/castle myself. I love just trashing 5 guards all lined up in a row like ducks. 

The problem is I can literally pillage those places alone on hard!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, best3444 said:

@ManUtdRedDevils I was just watching Odyssey footage for a while. I loved that game and put like 110 hours into it. I still think I prefer Valhalla because it seems more streamlined. It's not as overwhelming with quests but it's also a lot more basic story arc. 

I think even without beating Valhalla, I prefer it over Odyssey. 

It is close for me, but Kassandra >>> Eivor. Valhalla’s pay offs all happened at the end which has me excited for the DLC but didn’t do much during my 85 hour playthrough. Plus the AI felt more broken in Valhalla than it did in Odyssey. 

Just now, ManUtdRedDevils said:

It is close for me, but Kassandra >>> Eivor. Valhalla’s pay offs all happened at the end which has me excited for the DLC but didn’t do much during my 85 hour playthrough. Plus the AI felt more broken in Valhalla than it did in Odyssey. 

I can respect that. I can't wait to see what these games are like on the new consoles. Say 4-5 yrs from now.

I so far prefer this to Odyssey.  I thought Odyssey opened pretty weak but finished strong.  The main story in Odyssey was kind of hard to follow too because of how everything kind of presented itself.  It all wrapped up pretty nicely, but I almost lost interest before that point.

The Bountry Hunters in Odyssey also were so horrible done.

In Valhalla, I've found all the mini story arcs for each region to be pretty entertaining and interesting.  I think I'm on my 6th now maybe?  The gameplay in Valhalla is probably slightly weaker because of how easy it is.  The AI seemed to be an afterthought this time around.

So I’m playing Spider-Man Remastered on the PS5, and towards the end of the game on the hardest difficulty level, the enemies, in general, do not take turns to hit you. If you have 10 dudes on the map, not all of them will attack at the same time, but you will for sure have 2 dudes with guns shooting, a turret shooting, an RPG aiming at you, and a couple melee guys getting in there.crowd control is much more of a thing. With the right suit upgrades and a lot of focus, it’s still not SUPER challenging, but dropping into stop some of the late game crimes is still a risk much more so than the combat here. I wish more 3rd person action games took that approach.

3 hours ago, Kal-El814 said:

So I’m playing Spider-Man Remastered on the PS5, and towards the end of the game on the hardest difficulty level, the enemies, in general, do not take turns to hit you. If you have 10 dudes on the map, not all of them will attack at the same time, but you will for sure have 2 dudes with guns shooting, a turret shooting, an RPG aiming at you, and a couple melee guys getting in there.crowd control is much more of a thing. With the right suit upgrades and a lot of focus, it’s still not SUPER challenging, but dropping into stop some of the late game crimes is still a risk much more so than the combat here. I wish more 3rd person action games took that approach.

Agreed. I love combat in the Spider-Man games. On hard it's a lot of fun. Quick and can be unforgiving.

• 1 month later...
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Assassin's Creed Valhalla - Information Thread, update: Title Update 1.1.2 patch notes released
5 minutes ago, johnny said:

odyssey is so much better than this and origins imo. idk why but i cannot get through origins and valhalla the way i easily tore through Odyssey. 

I feel like Odyssey had more to do in-location and was more interesting to get to locations. I know that’s a “other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play,” kinda statement... but I think Valhalla did everything other than that better. I honestly could not tell you a single plot beat from Odyseey other than how the game starts and ends, while I feel like Valhalla did a much better job with that.

Also as Wade said... Kassandra > every other Ass protagonist other than Ezio.

6 minutes ago, nublood said:

Lot of good stuff in there.  But the one thing I'm looking for is improved enemy AI. It's really really bad in this game.

Not only the enemies but your allies are brain dead too. I need to get back into this and beat it. Regardless of how bad the AI is its still a very enjoyable game.

4 hours ago, johnny said:

odyssey is so much better than this and origins imo. idk why but i cannot get through origins and valhalla the way i easily tore through Odyssey. 

This is where I landed too. I just petered out on Valhalla whereas I have over 100 hours in Odyssey.

I think part of the issue in Valhalla is that skill progression is generally boring and IMO, and the gear sucks. As far as the skills, most of it passive and somehow the unlocks just don't feel nearly as cool as they do in Odyssey. And for the gear, you spend some time hunting down some new armor only to find it's worse than your starting gear that you've upgraded. Sure, you could upgrade the new stuff too after dumping a ton of resources in it and then it will be... just as good :/ 

I also agree that Kassandra is awesome.

I was really down on the story in Valhalla after playing through Ledcestrescire/Ledecestrescire/East Anglia.

However after playing through the two Dream Worlds, Lunden, Jorvik, Vinland -- and getting a sense of where the story is going with Sigurd in the last third of the game -- I'm starting to really get into it.

I'm not sure about where I would rank this vs. Odyssey yet (still have 15-20% of game to play), I will say I have REALLY enjoyed the game in the last 40-50 hours.

What I like more in this than Odyssey:

1)  In game choices have an impact on the story

2)  A better incorporation of the Isu into the overall story

3)  A better mission variety than Odyssey

4)  More varied enemy types

What I liked more about Odyssey:

1)  More interesting repeating characters (i.e. Marcos, Alkibiades)

2) Far fewer bugs

3) Rush assassination (most of the other Odyssey abilities have an equivalent in Valhalla)

On 2/16/2021 at 6:14 PM, johnny said:

yes kassandra is amazing 

I find Kassandra to be the better character, but Valhalla to be the better game. I still love Odyssey, but it has some problems with quest levels and forcing you to do side quests to continue the main quest. For example, the quest where you find your mother is something like lvl 21-23. She asks you to meet her back home, which is the start of the next main quest, and it's level 30.

I prefer the world and systems of Valhalla. Plus, female Eivor is still an awesome character! 

I was really hoping she would meet Kassandra during her adventure, just a side quest or something, where we know who she is but Eivor doesn't. Just an Easter egg mission.

1 hour ago, BloodyHell said:

I find Kassandra to be the better character, but Valhalla to be the better game. I still love Odyssey, but it has some problems with quest levels and forcing you to do side quests to continue the main quest. For example, the quest where you find your mother is something like lvl 21-23. She asks you to meet her back home, which is the start of the next main quest, and it's level 30.

I prefer the world and systems of Valhalla. Plus, female Eivor is still an awesome character! 

I was really hoping she would meet Kassandra during her adventure, just a side quest or something, where we know who she is but Eivor doesn't. Just an Easter egg mission.

There are still 2 DLCs to come out later this year -- I would not be surprised if she appears there.

2 hours ago, BloodyHell said:

yeah that part was dumb from an objective stance. i didn’t really mind it though, the game just clicked for me and i enjoyed running around doing whatever side stuff. 

This last patch seemed to have finally pushed performance over the edge for me. Before this I was still experiencing fairly regular microstutters. They weren't horrible or anything but could be distracting.

WG9CR1G.png

There'd be a loooong drop on that graph every 30 seconds or so, only for a single frame, but I could definitely feel it. Now the longest drop was to 59 FPS jumping off a big cliff, which I didn't even notice. So much smoother now. And FPS seems a little higher in general. Still really enjoying this game. I really like Eivor, and I like that you explore the world on foot or horseback, as the naval stuff was starting to get old. I really enjoyed Odyssey, but did a lot of fast traveling from island to island, and I only like to use fast travel sparingly in most games as I feel it starts to really shrink the world and make what I'm doing feel less important and impactful.

Also love that they're adding new abilities and skills and activities even this late after release. Without the fairly narrow skill tree that Origins/Odyssey had, they can just add stuff whenever they want. I know they added a few pretty cool skills to Odyssey post-launch, which was a nice surprise, and I'm glad to see that still going on. Feels like each time I decide to return to the game there's some cool changes or additions waiting for me.

And maybe this is just me, but playing this and Ghost of Tsushima back to back, there's something I really don't like about Tsushima's world design. It feels like someone tried to bring a series of Japanese painting tropes to life or something, and while that can be kind of cool, it makes every area feel really... off? This one's down to personal preference, I'm sure, but it kind of feels like in Valhalla I'm exploring a natural landscape, while in Ghost I'm exploring some weeb artist's wet dream. Ghost has really well-done and finely crafted landscapes, but they feel fake and weird to me I guess. Like I could hear the artists having a long conversation about old samurai flicks and how the beautiful landscape belies the ugly reality or some bullshit.

Also I kind of miss all my cool Valhalla abilities when in Ghost. Ghost has a slightly more responsive character and a dedicated jump button, both good things, but I feel my arsenal and skillset are really limited and set in stone, and as someone who thrives on novel new gameplay mechanics, it's rough for me.

2 hours ago, Xbob42 said:

This last patch seemed to have finally pushed performance over the edge for me. Before this I was still experiencing fairly regular microstutters. They weren't horrible or anything but could be distracting.

WG9CR1G.png

There'd be a loooong drop on that graph every 30 seconds or so, only for a single frame, but I could definitely feel it. Now the longest drop was to 59 FPS jumping off a big cliff, which I didn't even notice. So much smoother now. And FPS seems a little higher in general. Still really enjoying this game. I really like Eivor, and I like that you explore the world on foot or horseback, as the naval stuff was starting to get old. I really enjoyed Odyssey, but did a lot of fast traveling from island to island, and I only like to use fast travel sparingly in most games as I feel it starts to really shrink the world and make what I'm doing feel less important and impactful.

Also love that they're adding new abilities and skills and activities even this late after release. Without the fairly narrow skill tree that Origins/Odyssey had, they can just add stuff whenever they want. I know they added a few pretty cool skills to Odyssey post-launch, which was a nice surprise, and I'm glad to see that still going on. Feels like each time I decide to return to the game there's some cool changes or additions waiting for me.

And maybe this is just me, but playing this and Ghost of Tsushima back to back, there's something I really don't like about Tsushima's world design. It feels like someone tried to bring a series of Japanese painting tropes to life or something, and while that can be kind of cool, it makes every area feel really... off? This one's down to personal preference, I'm sure, but it kind of feels like in Valhalla I'm exploring a natural landscape, while in Ghost I'm exploring some weeb artist's wet dream. Ghost has really well-done and finely crafted landscapes, but they feel fake and weird to me I guess. Like I could hear the artists having a long conversation about old samurai flicks and how the beautiful landscape belies the ugly reality or some bullshit.

Also I kind of miss all my cool Valhalla abilities when in Ghost. Ghost has a slightly more responsive character and a dedicated jump button, both good things, but I feel my arsenal and skillset are really limited and set in stone, and as someone who thrives on novel new gameplay mechanics, it's rough for me.

Yeah, I love Ghost of Tsushima, but I agree a lot of stuff feels too curated. Still, I love the sword combat in the game. 

I did my first River Raid last night. Apparently they get harder and harder. Im going to try a few more today. I find the combat a lot of fun, I just wish enemies were more aggressive.

On 2/21/2021 at 7:23 AM, BloodyHell said:

Yeah, I love Ghost of Tsushima, but I agree a lot of stuff feels too curated. Still, I love the sword combat in the game. 

I did my first River Raid last night. Apparently they get harder and harder. Im going to try a few more today. I find the combat a lot of fun, I just wish enemies were more aggressive.

I have unlocked my third river, done ~7 raids and have yet to come remotely close to dying.  I hope it gets more difficult -- right now it is not even challenging.

I always enjoy playing the game, even though the combat is easy.

19 hours ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

This is the most crash-happy game I’ve ever played. The past week, I’ve had multiple crashes per session. 

When it’s not crashing, my performance is fine. Everything at max and I’m getting an average of 80-90fps. 

I think the game has a memory leak. I was having lots of crashes and running ISLC in the background has fixed the problem.

3 hours ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

I haven’t played Valhalla, but I loved Odyssey. One of the things that made Odyssey such a joy traverse and explore was how vibrant and full of color the world was. Every video I saw of Valhalla makes the world look drab. Valhalla just doesn’t look like a world I’d enjoy spending any a lot of time in. 

Valhalla can be very vibrant and full of color. There's snowy regions but also beautiful landscapes that are lush. There's a good amount of things to do in the world, too. Odyssey was awesome but I think I prefer Valhalla overall. It's more focused and not as bloated. 

I do like the less bloated feeling of Valhalla. While I enjoyed some of the side stories in Odyssey, there was a lot of it there. I enjoy a lot of these little world event in Valhalla, some of them have made me bust out laughing. I wouldn't mind a few side stories of consequence, though.

Overall, I'm just really enjoying Valhalla. It's the setting that does it for me. I love the Middle Ages, especially England.

On 2/21/2021 at 4:35 PM, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

This is the most crash-happy game I’ve ever played. The past week, I’ve had multiple crashes per session. 

When it’s not crashing, my performance is fine. Everything at max and I’m getting an average of 80-90fps. 

Weird. 

Im playing on Series X. Started at launch, just went back to try the new content, and its been really stable for me.

Yeah, hearing that some people are still getting crashes stinks. It's been very stable for me each time I play. Hope they can address whatever is causing issues. Crashes can really ruin an experience if the timing is bad enough. 

And yeah, Valhalla is very colorful. The first area is pretty samey but then it opens up into some great vistas, many of which I think I posted in this very thread.  

14 hours ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

I do like the less bloated feeling of Valhalla. While I enjoyed some of the side stories in Odyssey, there was a lot of it there. I enjoy a lot of these little world event in Valhalla, some of them have made me bust out laughing. I wouldn't mind a few side stories of consequence, though.

Overall, I'm just really enjoying Valhalla. It's the setting that does it for me. I love the Middle Ages, especially England.

While I enjoyed both games, I preferred Valhalla. That said, I felt that both games overstayed their welcome just a little bit. By that I don't mean that the games were too long (I like a long game) but I mean that there wasn't much difference in the missions/combat through the game. IE... the first raid is pretty much the same as the last raid, the first siege is very similar to the last siege.