Assassin's Creed Valhalla - Information Thread, update: "The Last Chapter" trailer - free update that ties up the loose ends of Eivor's story

Commissar SFLUFAN

Just started this on PC. Playing in 4K ultra and this is a *very* pretty game. Might be the best landscapes I've seen in a game. They feel appropriately large, whereas often times landscapes in games feel smaller than do in real life (probably because games do tend to shrink environments a fair bit).

Still too early to comment on the gameplay other than it is an AC game :p But I tend to like AC minus some miss fires so that's fine.

Weird, had no bugs, glitches or issues through 30 hours of play. Started it up for the first time in a few weeks and Eivor froze on a ladder...could spin the camera and bring up the menu, but he was completely frozen. Fast travel fixed it, but then I had an issue where 2 fingers on my right hand were like liquid terminator long ass stabby needles that touched the floor. Looked odd as hell in the boxing and drinking games.

The Yule event is nice, but back to CyberPunk :vortex:

After the patches the enemies and your squads AI are still pretty bad. I have to get them moving in raids. Sometimes run back to them to get them to keep running further. The enemies will just stand there and watch you kill his buddy in combat, too.

Still, very fun game and I'm enjoying it.

15 minutes ago, best3444 said:

After the patches the enemies and your squads AI are still pretty bad. I have to get them moving in raids. Sometimes run back to them to get them to keep running further. The enemies will just stand there and watch you kill his buddy in combat, too.

Still, very fun game and I'm enjoying it.

I said this and you and your boy Lion ate me alive on discord for it 

Lavar Ball Smh GIF by ESPN

I have a couple quests left to finish, but based on where I'm at I assume I know 99% of the meaningful twists. So here's a couple nits to pick about some of the ways those twists were handled.

Final reveal spoilers

Spoiler

It's difficult to tell the extent to which the Norse gods / Isu connection is supposed be a "surprise" by the end of things? Basim and Loki have similar character models, aside from the hair. As soon as I got into Asgard and heard Loki talk, I knew what the "trick" was going to be but in my game it wasn't "revealed" until almost 70 hours later. Same with Sigurd and Tyr, the voice gave it away immediately.

I read that there was going to be a twist without knowing what it was pretty early on in my run; I just assumed it was something other than what it ended up being since that seemed so obvious. The minutia was obviously something I didn't predict... Yggdrasil as a super computer was pretty cool.

Spoiler

I don’t think they were going for a twist. If you weren’t paying attention, I can see it being a surprise or “wtf is happening” moment. 

I think for the first time in a long time, AC feels like it is being planned out.
-The ties to Odyssey and Origins is refreshing. 

-Seeing Desmond as the reader still searching for an answer.
-Loki/Basim being resurrected and reunited with Aletheia after she guided Layla to the staff

10 hours ago, ManUtdRedDevils said:
  Reveal hidden contents

I don’t think they were going for a twist. If you weren’t paying attention, I can see it being a surprise or “wtf is happening” moment. 

I think for the first time in a long time, AC feels like it is being planned out.
-The ties to Odyssey and Origins is refreshing. 

-Seeing Desmond as the reader still searching for an answer.
-Loki/Basim being resurrected and reunited with Aletheia after she guided Layla to the staff

The game definitely portrays

Spoiler

Basim’s “turn” not just as a surprise to the characters but to the players as well.

1 hour ago, Kal-El814 said:

The game definitely portrays

Hide contents

Basim’s “turn” not just as a surprise to the characters but to the players as well.

Spoiler

The minute you saw Odin talking to Eivor it was pretty obvious both are the same person. It was portrayed as a surprise to the characters but I didn’t think it was a surprise to the player.

1 hour ago, best3444 said:

So overall, did you guys think it was a good game? Minus the bugs and AI I think this is my favorite Assassins Creed game yet.

I wouldn’t put it above Odyssey 

15 hours ago, best3444 said:

Awesome. Am I the only person playing this that loves the main theme during gameplay? It's so good.

What's the main theme? Honest question because I've been surprised that I've noticed no main theme for the game at all, whereas it's been clear in every other AC game I've played.

5 hours ago, legend said:

What's the main theme? Honest question because I've been surprised that I've noticed no main theme for the game at all, whereas it's been clear in every other AC game I've played.

It is the twelfth major installment and the twenty-second release in the Assassin's Creed series, and a successor to the 2018's Assassin's Creed Odyssey. Set in 873 AD, the game recounts a fictional story during the Viking invasion of Britain. The player controls Eivor, a Viking raider who becomes embroiled in the conflict between the Brotherhood of Assassins and the Templar Order.

Eivor take their loyalists in the Raven Clan on an exodus to England to build their own kingdom free of Harald's rule in their home in Norway. The Raven Clan settles in an abandoned Viking camp in Mercia and name it Ravensthorpe. In order to secure their position, they make alliances with local Viking clans and Saxon kingdoms.

That's basically it from what I know from the story so far.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

43 minutes ago, best3444 said:

It is the twelfth major installment and the twenty-second release in the Assassin's Creed series, and a successor to the 2018's Assassin's Creed Odyssey. Set in 873 AD, the game recounts a fictional story during the Viking invasion of Britain. The player controls Eivor, a Viking raider who becomes embroiled in the conflict between the Brotherhood of Assassins and the Templar Order.

Eivor take their loyalists in the Raven Clan on an exodus to England to build their own kingdom free of Harald's rule in their home in Norway. The Raven Clan settles in an abandoned Viking camp in Mercia and name it Ravensthorpe. In order to secure their position, they make alliances with local Viking clans and Saxon kingdoms.

That's basically it from what I know from the story so far.

Weren’t you talking about main “music” theme?  

confused ryan reynolds GIF

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, stepee said:

wait but you were the person talking about it first saying “the main theme during gameplay” - so you meant you love the overall story of the game while you are playing?

I got all confused. Marijuana doesn't help either. I'm not trying to get out of this. I'm a complete moron. :lol:

• Haha 1

Okay I finished just about everything at this point, I think. There's a quest or two around, but the alliance map is done, the Order is done, and I think everything in Valka's hut.

Overall I really enjoyed my time with it.

As I said before, I wish combat was a little more engaging. Most people aren't going to spend as much time as I do in the game so some of my beef regarding repetition won't jive for everyone, but... maybe 20 hours into my 85ish hour run, I think I saw just about everything combat wise the game would ever throw at me. The monastery raids all feel VERY samey, different ways to approach them would have been welcome.

I also appreciated that the game did acknowledge my exploration from time to time... if I was given quests to clear X or sabotage stuff in Y, and I'd already done it, I'd get credit for it. I do miss some of the bigger forts from Odyssey; most of them here are linked to sieges so there's never a great reason to go to those spots before the story forces you there. 

The settlement stuff was pretty disappointing, honestly. I don't think I popped a feast even once, I just kept forgetting. If Gunnar can max your stuff out without having to upgrade, if none of what you can buy is based on your status... what's the point? Aside from a few buildings that you can make related to the story, there's almost no reason to spend time doing it. One of the best parts of Ass Bro was getting a super dope assassin squad so you could call on them to pop out of anywhere and dunk on people. Not having any real way to upgrade how well your crew raids or SOMETHING seems like a pretty big missed opportunity.

The story and characters were pretty good! I liked where a bunch of things ended up, and that there were actual consequences for some of the battles. I wonder if the DLC will add stuff after the endgame that connects the ending with some of the modern world stuff a little more gracefully.

Overall I think the game being a little tighter and a having a bit more combat variety and engaging the player with meaningful settlement upgrades would have made this really special. As it stands, it's still pretty darn good!

EDIT - shoot I forgot I need to hunt the anomalies!

On 12/29/2020 at 8:21 PM, best3444 said:

I think this review sums it up pretty well.

I think he goes a bit easy on the bloat (this game could have cut 20 hours of main story and been a much better, less repetitive narrative. Also, combat ai is terrible. Enemies will surround you, yet stand around while one attacks and when he dies, another will jump in. It's dumb, attack me in trios, make me move. I don't want sponges, I want challenge.

8 hours ago, BloodyHell said:

I think he goes a bit easy on the bloat (this game could have cut 20 hours of main story and been a much better, less repetitive narrative. Also, combat ai is terrible. Enemies will surround you, yet stand around while one attacks and when he dies, another will jump in. It's dumb, attack me in trios, make me move. I don't want sponges, I want challenge.

I agree he wasn't harsh enough in a few things. The enemy AI has made me laugh a few times so that's at least good. I put the combat on easy and I literally pillage an entire village/castle myself. I love just trashing 5 guards all lined up in a row like ducks.