Assassin's Creed Valhalla - Information Thread, update: "The Last Chapter" trailer - free update that ties up the loose ends of Eivor's story

Commissar SFLUFAN

I’ve beaten six of the legendary animals, and only two are showing up on the wall of my longhouse. Another bug that there is absolutely no need for. 

Its a testament to how much I love norse mythology, and how fun this game is, because it has far, far too many bugs. I’ve had to reload saves. A whole pict army stood in place to be slaughtered during a mission. Restarted mission and tried previous saves twice, no change. Had to finish the quests then the world started moving again. One Zealot got stuck on fence post and and couldn’t move. I’ve had 3 crashes, all the game but not the system itself.  Playing on Series X.

I beat it though. 
theres two optional areas to do. I may do them before cyberpunk, but I slso want to do more of my Spider-Man Remastered play through. 

9 hours ago, BloodyHell said:

In some quests you can’t fast travel. Maybe that?

Unfortunately no, it's all quests. I did some reading an apparently this is a known bug where the game flags your character as "in battle" and then doesn't turn off that flag when the battle is done.  

9 hours ago, BloodyHell said:

I’ve beaten six of the legendary animals, and only two are showing up on the wall of my longhouse. Another bug that there is absolutely no need for. 

Its a testament to how much I love norse mythology, and how fun this game is, because it has far, far too many bugs. I’ve had to reload saves. A whole pict army stood in place to be slaughtered during a mission. Restarted mission and tried previous saves twice, no change. Had to finish the quests then the world started moving again. One Zealot got stuck on fence post and and couldn’t move. I’ve had 3 crashes, all the game but not the system itself.  Playing on Series X.

I beat it though. 
theres two optional areas to do. I may do them before cyberpunk, but I slso want to do more of my Spider-Man Remastered play through. 

Yea, my 43 hours have been a little sloppy. Overall, nothing major to distract from my enjoyment of the game. I'm not touching Cyberpunk until I'm completely finished with Valhalla.

I was thinking today how relatively bug free the game has been for me thus far.  I'm currently working on the "4th Region".

The screen tearing was the one issue that stood out earlier on.  I recently turned on VRR though which basically alleviated the issue.

I am loving the game though.  I played Origins, straight into Odyssey, and now straight into Valhalla.  I feel like Ubisoft is really doing a great job of iterating on these games, and improving them with each entry.  

The only thing I miss from the older games at this point is the assassination set pieces. If they’re gonna bring back social stealth, it seems like kind of a missed opportunity, it helped keep some aspects of the games more assassin-y after they turned you into a crowd killing machine.

30 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

The only thing I miss from the older games at this point is the assassination set pieces. If they’re gonna bring back social stealth, it seems like kind of a missed opportunity, it helped keep some aspects of the games more assassin-y after they turned you into a crowd killing machine.

Yeah I do miss that part.  The original was the one game that I felt really did a good job of creating a set piece around the actual Assassinations.  Origins brought it back a little, but Odyssey seemed to move away from it again.

Yeah I miss the assassination being a big deal. The first game was cool how you had to find intel on where they’d be, the movement of the guards, shift changes and then even the escape afterwards was fun. I don’t wanna go all the way back but Id be nice if they could add some of that back in a more refined way. 

12 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

Let me rephrase that: Stealth was pointless because you could literally run up to anyone and assassinate them then chain-counter assassinate the entire fortress without ever being hit.

Not in the very first game. You were a wimp and could easily get taken out by a guard.

42 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Not in the very first game. You were a wimp and could easily get taken out by a guard.

By the end of that game you could counter kill everyone but I did enjoy the slow roll up to that, aside from...

55 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

Remember in the first game when guards would chase and attack you for moving faster than a super-slow walk? They should bring that back :p 

This and the repetitive dialog were a huge bummer about the first game.

The biggest weakness of the game is how easy the combat is in most scenarios.  The boss type encounters offer a fun challenge for the most part, but everything else is pretty laughably easy even on hardest difficulties.

I'm only doing the 4th Region now, so maybe it'll get trickier but when...

Spoiler

The quest is, go in and weaken the castle for our Siege, and you can walk in the Castle single handedly and kill every guard and defense no problem, it kind of kills the need for their "Siege".  

2 minutes ago, JPDunks4 said:

The biggest weakness of the game is how easy the combat is in most scenarios.  The boss type encounters offer a fun challenge for the most part, but everything else is pretty laughably easy even on hardest difficulties.

Reveal hidden contents

I agree. It's an easy game minus a few "bosses"...

1 hour ago, Xbob42 said:

These games really need to be moddable. A few tweaks to numbers and aggressiveness could really get the AI to be formidable. So many companies are so scared of even a modicum of challenge.

I am not especially good at games, and the only challenging fights at the hardest difficulty level are bosses. Literally everything else is cake if you’re near the right level.

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Assassin's Creed Valhalla - Information Thread, update: PS5 vs PC graphics analysis from Digital Foundry
On 12/7/2020 at 3:26 PM, JPDunks4 said:

Hide contents

The quest is, go in and weaken the castle for our Siege, and you can walk in the Castle single handedly and kill every guard and defense no problem, it kind of kills the need for their "Siege".  

Naww, I played on the hardest, and it just got easier as it went. One of my main complaints is the difficulty, or lack of. At level ~280 I was killing level 340 bosses without much trouble, especially as you increase your stun (I went mostly way of the bear, with hammers and bearded axes).

only 4 bosses were challenging. Kyojte, the first boss you kill, and three other connected but separate bosses I won’t spoil. And the first boss was just because I went after him quickly with no healing items at all, and was getting used to the game. 

On 12/7/2020 at 3:42 PM, Mr.Vic20 said:

At power level 300+ you are a living god and nothing can stop you in this game. Also, Excalibur is quite nice! 

Did you get 

Spoiler

Thors armor and hammer?

I have like 9 tablets. Getting Excalibur is my final goal for this game. I think I need two more?

49 minutes ago, BloodyHell said:

Did you get 

Hide contents

Thors armor and hammer?

I have like 9 tablets. Getting Excalibur is my final goal for this game. I think I need two more?

Spoiler

I didn't as I've gone the sword route and as I understand it, the armor goes with the hammer, so I've maxed out a suit if the Brigandine armor, which is a nice Brawler/Blade set). If Ubisoft ever fixes my fast travel save feature, I will delve back in and go get all of Thor's goodies as well!  

2 minutes ago, Mr.Vic20 said:
  Hide contents

I didn't as I've gone the sword route and as I understand it, the armor goes with the hammer, so I've maxed out a suit if the Brigandine armor, which is a nice Brawler/Blade set). If Ubisoft ever fixes my fast travel save feature, I will delve back in and go get all of Thor's goodies as well!  

I have the same armor maxed out. Most of my Previously mentioned armor is almost there. Im mostly a god now anyway, so armor is just for looks.

I love hammer  finishers! She shatters both of their knees before crushing their skull!

I'm only 11 hours in and for some reason this game isn't grabbing me like I hoped it would, but there isn't anything in particular that I can point to that is off putting. Instead it almost feels like the game is less than the sum of its parts.

I do think that progression in this game is poorly done, and I'm not just talking about the skill tree. At power 50 I don't have a dominant skill tree direction, so I'm hesitant to upgrade my armor. There really isn't that much gear overall it seems, so I've hardly changed gear at all so far. My settlement is only level 3, but it doesn't seem like there's a huge impetus to upgrade it. Most buildings just increase the feast buff, and the others are probably more interesting for their quest lines than for the building function.

Earlier this year I played through Far Cry New Dawn, which also had a settlement mechanic, and that really motivated me to do everything I could to upgrade it. Settlement progress gated new weapons, vehicles, maps, healing, health, and mission types. If I remember correctly, there were also a whole bunch of things that would help upgrade, so most of what you were doing would help in that regard. In Valhalla, you need to be looting specific things, which makes sense, but also limits choices and ability to progress the settlement.

I have also gotten a lot of bugs. A couple crashes, but much more frequently issues with enemy AI. They'll just stand around or not react to my presence even in red zones. Couple visual hiccups, but nothing too serious.

So far it's probably my least favorite of the three most recent AC games. Hopefully that will change as I get further in.

7 minutes ago, Mercury33 said:

Without spoiling anything, is it possible to get Excalibur and the other special armor/weapons mentioned before the end of the game? I’m not a bit NG+ fan so it’s annoying when the coolest stuff shows up with only an hour left in the game 

Yes, its possible. The challenge is that some of the steps to unlocking are associated with some high level baddies. There is a way, but you'll need to pick the right skills to stand a chance. 

• Thanks 1