Assassin's Creed Valhalla - Information Thread, update: "The Last Chapter" trailer - free update that ties up the loose ends of Eivor's story

Commissar SFLUFAN

More abilities, more magic, more wild shit, less dry super serious nonsense. This series could start topping my list of favorites if they really lean into it and stop trying to play it so straight. Odyssey can be just plain fun to play at times, I'd love it even more with tons more options and some proper full-campaign online co-op (completely optional of course) so me and my friend can form a party and handle different roles.

Watch the world premiere of Assassin’s Creed Valhalla. Wars will rage. Kingdoms will fall. This is the age of the Vikings. Assassin’s Creed Valhalla available Holiday, 2020 on Xbox One, Playstation 4, PC and Stadia. Pre-order now at https://ubi.li/5MQXg

In Assassin’s Creed® Valhalla, you are Eivor, a fierce Viking warrior raised on tales of battle and glory. Explore a dynamic and beautiful open world set against the brutal backdrop of England’s Dark Ages. Raid your enemies, grow your settlement, and build your political power in your quest to earn your place among the gods in Valhalla.

Key Features

WRITE YOUR VIKING SAGA–Advanced RPG mechanics allow you to shape the growth of your character and influence the world around you. With every choice you make, from political alliances and combat strategy to dialogue and gear progression, you will carve your own path to glory.

VISCERAL COMBAT SYSTEM –Dual-wield powerful weapons such as axes, swords, and even shields to relive the ruthless fighting style of the Viking warriors. Brutally decapitate your foes, vanquish them from afar, or stealthily assassinate targets with your hidden blade. Challenge yourself with the most varied collection of deadly enemies ever found in an Assassin’s Creed game.

A DARK AGE OPEN WORLD–Sail from the harsh and mysterious shores of Norway to the beautiful but forbidding kingdoms of England and beyond. Immerse yourself in the Viking way of life through fishing, hunting, drinking games, and more.

LEAD EPIC RAIDS –Launch massive assaults against Saxon troops and fortresses throughout England. Lead your clan in surprise attacks from your longship and pillage enemy territories to bring riches and resources back to your people.

GROW YOUR SETTLEMENT–Construct and upgrade buildings that allow for deep customization, including a barracks, blacksmith, tattoo parlor, and more. Recruit new members to your clan and personalize your Viking experience.

MERCENARY VIKINGS–Create and customize a unique Viking raider within your clan and share it online with friends to use during their own raids

Watching that trailer, my first thought is that it feels very much conceived for a big event like E3 or something, where that final moment with the hidden blade finally cues the audience into this being the next AC game.

I never did get around to playing much of Odyssey. I put in a few hours into Google's streaming Beta, but it never worked that well for me. They gave me a free copy, and I have it installed on my PC. With FF7R finished, maybe now's the time to give it another go.

6 minutes ago, TwinIon said:

Watching that trailer, my first thought is that it feels very much conceived for a big event like E3 or something, where that final moment with the hidden blade finally cues the audience into this being the next AC game.

I never did get around to playing much of Odyssey. I put in a few hours into Google's streaming Beta, but it never worked that well for me. They gave me a free copy, and I have it installed on my PC. With FF7R finished, maybe now's the time to give it another go.

If you decide to play it, I strongly recommend playing as Kassandra -- I played as Alexios on the Google streaming Beta for a few hours, and then picked Kassandra for the PC based run.  I found Kassandra to be a much more compelling/intelligent character.  Where I started to enjoy the game the most, was when I started to get further up the skill tree and was able to "customize" my attack style.

29 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

If you decide to play it, I strongly recommend playing as Kassandra -- I played as Alexios on the Google streaming Beta for a few hours, and then picked Kassandra for the PC based run.  I found Kassandra to be a much more compelling/intelligent character.  Where I started to enjoy the game the most, was when I started to get further up the skill tree and was able to "customize" my attack style.

I really hope they let you choose to play as a male or female again. Kassandra was way more interesting than Alexios. And hotter.

I want a badass viking chick.

26 minutes ago, XxEvil AshxX said:

I really hope they let you choose to play as a male or female again. Kassandra was way more interesting than Alexios. And hotter.

I want a badass viking chick.

I read on the PlayStation instagram story that you can play as female

• Shocked 1

3 minutes ago, Brick said:

Trailer with an Englishman warning of the dangers of the foreign barbarians, and then those foreign barbarians have English accents... 

¿Qué? 

Would it be that hard to have hired some Icelandic actors? 

These Vikings are from Norway ;)

They also confirmed this to take place in the 9th century. Same time period as The Last Kingdom and Vikings. So I’m guessing that king is Alfred?

Also it’s the same creative lead as Black Flag and Origins. 

But yeah, GIVE ME THIS GAME NOW!!!! 

6 minutes ago, Brick said:

Trailer with an Englishman warning of the dangers of the foreign barbarians, and then those foreign barbarians have English accents... 

¿Qué? 

Would it be that hard to have hired some Icelandic actors? 

It’s the same people who made that shitty Origins. Wouldn’t have high expectations that way you might be pleasantly surprised. 

• Guillotine 1

18 minutes ago, Pikachu said:

Unity had the same problem. French characters with English accents.

Which is why I'm going to play that game in French with English subtitles whenever I get around to playing it. I actually like playing the Assassin's Creed games in the language it should be in, like with II and Brotherhood I played them in Italian. 

15 minutes ago, Mercury33 said:

These Vikings are from Norway ;)

They also confirmed this to take place in the 9th century. Same time period as The Last Kingdom and Vikings. So I’m guessing that king is Alfred?

Also it’s the same creative lead as Black Flag and Origins. 

But yeah, GIVE ME THIS GAME NOW!!!! 

I have heard old Norse words would sound the closest to the way Icelandic people now pronounce them, but yes even Norwegian actors would be acceptable, or just any actor that can do a Scandinavian accent of some sort. 

22 minutes ago, Brick said:

Which is why I'm going to play that game in French with English subtitles whenever I get around to playing it. I actually like playing the Assassin's Creed games in the language it should be in, like with II and Brotherhood I played them in Italian. 

I have heard old Norse words would sound the closest to the way Icelandic people now pronounce them, but yes even Norwegian actors would be acceptable, or just any actor that can do a Scandinavian accent of some sort. 

oh really? That’s cool, I didn’t know that. 

I can’t remember where they did it, one of the games. But they did explain why everyone had the same accent in one of the games. Something like the Animus translates the voices into the language and dialect of the person reliving the memories I think. 

Still a shit reason but at least there is an actual reason haha

1. Eivor is pronounced “Ā-vōr.”

2. You can choose whether your Eivor is male or female.

3. Customization options let you change Eivor’s hair, clothing, war paint, and more.

4. The game takes place in Norway and England.

5. England has three major cities to visit: London, Winchester, and Jórvík.

6. You can dual-wield almost any combination of weapons.

7. Every piece of gear is unique.

Gear can be upgraded and customized, and you can use the same equipment from beginning to end if you want to.

8. You earn new abilities through a system mechanically similar to a skill tree.

9. What you can accomplish is more about gear and skills, not character levels.

10. Words the team have used to describe combat include “brutal,” “crunchy,” and “weighty.”

11. The team is putting extra effort toward enemy variety to keep encounters surprising.

12. You have a longship you use to go on raids.

13. Your longship has a crew, including warriors you can customize.

14. Assaults are big setpiece moments. They are different from raids, and involve attacks on large fortifications.

15. You build a settlement that serves as your base.

16. Your clan and others you recruit live in your settlement.

17. Hidden Ones and Order of Ancients (a.k.a. Assassins and Templars) are in the game.

18. At some point, Eivor meets Assassins, works alongside them, and uses a hidden blade.

19. King Aelfred of Wessex (later known as Alfred the Great) is an antagonistic figure. @Mercury33

20. Layla’s story in the present day continues.

21. Ubisoft Montreal is leading development on Valhalla. The studio’s last two Assassin’s Creed games were Origins and Black Flag.

22. Twelve other Ubisoft Studios are supporting Valhalla’s development, along with external partner Sperasoft.

23. Valhalla is a cross-gen game, coming to the PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X alongside currently available platforms.

24. The game will release during the 2020 holiday season.

@GameInformer

Happy to see base building is back 

13 hours ago, Xbob42 said:

More abilities, more magic, more wild shit, less dry super serious nonsense. This series could start topping my list of favorites if they really lean into it and stop trying to play it so straight. Odyssey can be just plain fun to play at times, I'd love it even more with tons more options and some proper full-campaign online co-op (completely optional of course) so me and my friend can form a party and handle different roles.

Magic? I haven't been caught up with this series for a while (Black Flag was the last one I beat, and I still need to go back and finish Rogue), but when did magic start getting into this? Sure there was that whole ancient society that created the Pieces of Eden, but that was just a super advanced society that fell, if I remember correctly, so aside from some rather advanced tech from them, and the sci-fi stuff with Abstergo, this series has always been rather straight, realistic, and grounded (as video games go). Since when did they start adding supernatural stuff? That just seems to go against the whole ancient history these games are about. I really need to go back and catch up. Pretty sure I was close to the end of Rogue, and I bought Unity and Syndicate on a sale. 

Co-op though would be nice. I don't know why they didn't keep that after Unity. Sure Unity was a mess at launch, but wasn't the co-op one of the better aspects of it people liked? 

14 hours ago, Bacon said:

WWII Assassin's Creed game will be next after this viking one. 

I'd rather they do one during the World War I time period of they're ever going to do a World War. Could then lead into the Russian Revolution. 

27 minutes ago, Brick said:

Magic? I haven't been caught up with this series for a while (Black Flag was the last one I beat, and I still need to go back and finish Rogue), but when did magic start getting into this?

19 minutes ago, SimpleG said:

The Spear of Leonidas is a Piece of Eden, so I wouldn't say that it necessarily counts as being magic.

The series started introducing mythological elements in Origins.

15 minutes ago, Emperor Diocletian II said:

The Spear of Leonidas is a Piece of Eden, so I wouldn't say that it necessarily counts as being magic.

I didnt think we were talking like "wizard" type magic. I mean up until this point in the games your move set is realistic although fantastical but still reasonable. The spear just breaks that and goes into instant teleportation .

Edit: at this point though its really splitting hairs on whats magic vs tech in this world.

Previews:

Assassin's Creed Valhalla reshapes the series' RPG storytelling by giving you a Viking settlement (Eurogamer)

Of course, this first trailer barely scratches the surface of the game - and indeed how its portrayal of Vikings, Saxons and various other groups living in Britain will actually look (though actual footage arrives very soon). Will good old King Alf really be a moustache-twirling pantomime villain? No, lead producer Julien Laferrière assures me, as we settle down to talk Valhalla in detail. Will all Vikings be good guys? No, again. But what seems certain is how Valhalla has been entirely shaped by this principle Vikings were not only invaders but settlers as well. They were ferocious warriors, yes, but also a group of people with a rich culture, living gods and huge mythology - all of which Valhalla will explore in detail. Central to all that will be a new village settlement hub - a home for main character Eivor and their comrades, a familiar starting point for adventures and a place you'll see your decisions play out.

Assassin's Creed Valhalla will let you lead a Viking warband in Saxon England (PC Gamer)

The series has been drifting away from its stealth roots for a long time now, finally becoming a full RPG in Assassin's Creed Odyssey. Sure, there's still stealth, but action, character progression and quests have really taken over. I was skeptical, but Odyssey convinced me—it's much better as an RPG than it ever was as a stealth series. 

Answers To Our Biggest Questions About Assassin’s Creed Valhalla (Game Informer)

Ubisoft has officially unveiled Assassin’s Creed Valhalla, a new installment that has players building a Viking settlement and exploring England during the Dark Ages. That premise alone is enticing; the combination of fierce combat and rich history seems like a natural fit for Assassin’s Creed. We interviewed creative director Ashraf Ismail to learn more about the new hero Eivor (pronounced Ā-vōr), the gameplay, and the world of Assassin’s Creed Valhalla.

Assassin's Creed Valhalla Is the Grand Unifying Theory of Assassin's Creed (USgamer)

Today, Ubisoft gave us our first full look at Assassin's Creed Valhalla, the newest entry in Ubisoft's long-running series. The trailer establishes the central conflict, the ongoing battle between the Vikings and England, which is set to the haunting whispered, chanting version of Blind Willie Johnson's "Soul of a Man." Alfred the Great, King of the Anglo-Saxons, rails against the Vikings, before ultimately declaring war.

Assassin's Creed Valhalla's Narrative Director On Crafting A Unique New Story (Gamespot)

Assassin's Creed Valhalla has officially been revealed and, as the rumors indicated, the Viking era plays a big role. While Viking fiction is common in video games, especially of late with the likes of excellent games such as God of War and Hellblade, developer Ubisoft Montreal is taking a different tact. Norse mythology is well-worn territory, so Ubisoft is telling a more grounded story. Sure, it will undoubtedly feature elements of Norse mythology, but at its core, Valhalla about the struggle of a people trying to find a new home.

Leading that effort is Eivor, a warrior raised on tales of battle, who must carve out a new place to belong for a clan of Vikings pushed out of their battle-ravaged home. To learn more about Assassin's Creed Valhalla we talked to Darby McDevitt, narrative director on the game. Over the course of the discussion, we discuss what it's like to create an entirely new hero for the series and said hero's place within the larger Assassin's Creed mythos. On top of that, we learn about Ubisoft's ambitions for the game, what sets it apart from other games available now, as well as previous entries in the franchise.

Assassin’s Creed Valhalla – The History Behind the Viking Legend (Ubisoft)

Assassin’s Creed Valhalla takes place toward the end of the ninth century, a time when Norse tribes were leaving their homes in Scandinavia and sailing to the collection of fractured kingdoms known as Anglo-Saxon England. It’s here, during this age of transition, that you’ll take on the role of Eivor and lead your people to a new land in the search for a new home. As you embark on Valhalla’s epic Viking journey, you’ll lead deadly raiding parties, fight in massive battles, and build up a prosperous settlement, all within the historical backdrop of ninth century England.

To learn more about this period of time so commonly referred to as the Dark Ages, we spoke with Thierry Noël, historian and inspirational content advisor of the Editorial Research Unit on Assassin’s Creed Valhalla.

4 minutes ago, SimpleG said:

Edit: at this point though its really splitting hairs on whats magic vs tech in this world.

That is what I was gonna say basically. Like, there has always been magic in the series, but it was actually ayylmao tech. 

15 minutes ago, Emperor Diocletian II said:

Mythological how exactly? I have seen videos of fights with mythological creatures like gorgons, but is that just DLC extras for fun, or is it actual canon stuff? If it's explained in a reasonable manner (like they're hallucinations caused by the Pieces of Eden and other relics from the old civilization (what are they called again?), and that's where mythological creatures got their origins, similar to how religion was caused by the Pieces of Eden, and people thought that those of the ancient civilization were gods), then I might be able to accept it, but if it's just straight up, nope here's a monster, then I'm going to say this series has jumped the shark. 

While magic sounds weird for an AC game, running around with blades in your sleeves and murdering people and getting away with it because you moved the body 10 feet to the convenient bush nearby all while climbing up buildings like you're King Kong isn't really all that realistic either. Just make the game good, and I won't care how they get there. 

8 minutes ago, Dodger said:

While magic sounds weird for an AC game, running around with blades in your sleeves and murdering people and getting away with it because you moved the body 10 feet to the convenient bush nearby all while climbing up buildings like you're King Kong isn't really all that realistic either. Just make the game good, and I won't care how they get there. 

Suspension of disbelief. Like I said, as far as video games go. :p