"We've bought the wrong satellites": UK tech gamble baffles experts (The Guardian)

Bid for 20% of OneWeb to replace Galileo after Brexit ‘looks like nationalism trumping industrial policy’

The UK government’s plan to invest hundreds of millions of pounds in a satellite broadband company has been described as “nonsensical” by experts, who say the company doesn’t even make the right type of satellite the country needs after Brexit.

The investment in OneWeb, first reported on Thursday night, is intended to mitigate against the UK losing access to the EU’s Galileo satellite navigation system.

But OneWeb – in which the UK will own a 20% stake following the investment – currently operates a completely different type of satellite network from that typically used to run such navigation systems.

5 minutes ago, Emperor Diocletian II said:

I think I read somewhere this is Softbank invested company, and they were recently thinking about filing for bankruptcy. Going to look for the article (it may be in yours, I haven't read it yet). 

Just now, Commodore D said:

I think I read somewhere this is Softbank invested company, and they were recently thinking about filing for bankruptcy. Going to look for the article (it may be in yours, I haven't read it yet). 

My God, if this turns out to be another one of Softbank's "stellar" investments like WeWork...:rofl:

7 minutes ago, Emperor Diocletian II said:

My God, if this turns out to be another one of Softbank's "stellar" investments like WeWork...:rofl:

WeWork was mentioned in the article, lol.

Love this part from your link: “What’s happened is that the very talented lobbyists at OneWeb have convinced the government that we can completely redesign some of the satellites to piggyback a navigation payload on it."