Update: new allegations reveal depth of toxic culture at Ubisoft

SimpleG

• 2 weeks later...

This story needs more attention. Here's a great article from Kotaku that covers it.

https://kotaku.com/ubisoft-employees-have-grave-concerns-over-toronto-stud-1844277486

There’s a story some people tell at Ubisoft Toronto, the studio currently finishing one of this fall’s bigger planned releases, Watch Dogs: Legion. It goes something like this: Maxime Béland, one of its co-founders and, until last week, a 20-year veteran of Ubisoft, allegedly choked a female employee at a work party. Some heard it recited as a bizarre one-off. Others shared it as a warning to women at the studio to be wary of Béland.

Choking a female employee at a work party is something else. You'd probably report that to HR, only the head of HR st the time and for a while was also Béland's wife.

18 minutes ago, Emperor Diocletian II said:

So much for Ubisoft's protestations of being such a "progressive, socially-conscious" company.

Progressive in the streets but a hypocrite in the sheets. Crap i don't think that comment is funny. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Ghost_MH said:

This story needs more attention. Here's a great article from Kotaku that covers it.

https://kotaku.com/ubisoft-employees-have-grave-concerns-over-toronto-stud-1844277486

Choking a female employee at a work party is something else. You'd probably report that to HR, only the head of HR st the time and for a while was also Béland's wife.

I heard that story from a friend there. There was quite a few fucked up things going on at TO from what I heard. 

17 hours ago, Ghost_MH said:

Fuck HR. I'd report it to the police.

18 hours ago, Emperor Diocletian II said:

So much for Ubisoft's protestations of being such a "progressive, socially-conscious" company.

I think it’s easy to be progressive in your output and still be a reprehensible shitbag. Years ago I said some pretty horrible things to peers even though I personally considered myself to be progressive and socially conscious at the time and actually was in several respects... just not in a couple of truly important ones.

This isn’t intended to excuse anyone of anything so I apologize if it came off that way... I just think the mental gymnastics here are not especially complicated. In fact I’d wager that for some people, being “personally” progressive makes it easier to be shitty in some respects. “I’m progressive, I’m an ally, this thing I’m doing that might seem opposed to those ideas must be justified if someone like me is doing it.”

• 2 weeks later...
41 minutes ago, Emperor Diocletian II said:

Just a reminder that Ubisoft has the audacity to put this disclaimer in front of their games:

image.png

... Only some of these people were choked out and beaten.  (should be added at to the text for Valhalla and Legion) 

• Shocked 1

• 3 weeks later...

New allegations show the cycle of abuse and misconduct runs deep at Ubisoft (Gamasutra)

As the outpouring of allegations continued, multiple anonymous sources told Gamasutra how Ubisoft is run like a "mafia," where abusive family members are protected at the expense of their victims. One current staffer, who asked to remain anonymous, said the issue runs "deeper and wider" than those public allegations indicated, and suggested Ubisoft isn't committed to driving meaningful change, but rather creating a "false culture of growth and transparency."

Following that initial report, we spoke with more than a dozen former and current Ubisoft employees who wished to share their experiences at the studio. What I heard reinforced what others were saying in public and behind closed doors. Harassment, homophobia, sexism, racism, bullying, and manipulation are rampant within Ubisoft studios around the world. Those I chatted with have spent varying lengths of time at Ubisoft Singapore, Ubisoft Montreal, and Ubisoft Quebec, but their stories were similar, as were the names they shared.