Halo Infinite - Information Thread, update (01/15/24): Certain Affinity's battle royale project reportedly cancelled, UE5-based campaign project in development since 2022

JPDunks4

14 minutes ago, silentbob said:

Now when they say co-op. Does this only apply for same system/couch co-op or does it also include online co-op as well? I know the couch co-op was what we really wanted but online for works for me co-op wise with friends.

I'm almost 100% positive it means no coop for both scenarios. 

More campaign previews:

8KMUico.jpeg
WWW.THEVERGE.COM

The early missions set the stage for a bigger Halo game.

I’ve only played the first few hours of Halo Infinite so far, and it already feels like there are many hours ahead of me. The Weapon, a new AI that bares a striking resemblance to Cortana, is introduced early on, and the fate of Master Chief and Cortana’s role in the story are still very much up in the air after just a few hours of gameplay. We’ll have a full review of Halo Infinite next month, where we’ll find out just how big Zeta Halo is and discover the secrets hidden within it.

Halo Infinite already feels like a familiar but different kind of Halo, and one that fans are going to enjoy exploring.

4R7733ZTNBDYJJJJJXW6L4O4BI.jpg&w=1440
WWW.WASHINGTONPOST.COM

Forget the Ubisoft open-world worries, it still feels like a Halo game.

Here’s the simplest and most accurate way to describe “Halo Infinite’s” campaign: Imagine the original game’s second level or “The Silent Cartographer" expanded into a full game.

The single-player portion of “Halo Infinite” is not, as some fans feared, a cribbing of the Ubisoft formula of open-world games, nor does it remind me at all of “Destiny 2,” the multiplayer, semi-open-world game by the original Halo development studio, Bungie. Rather, it truly is an expansion of the most universally loved Halo campaign experiences.

haloin4.jpg?w=1200&strip=all
VENTUREBEAT.COM

We've played Halo Infinite, and the game is worth getting excited about. It starts off strong and with a lot of promise.

Even if the game doesn’t nail every idea in the end, though, the underlying concept is strong. It does feel like what I always imagined Halo was before I ever played the original. Seeing it in magazines in 1999 and 2000, I figured Combat Evolved was this big explorable world, and this game delivers on those assumptions.

To me, this is reminiscent of the way that Breath of the Wild delivered on the promises of the original The Legend of Zelda. And again, Infinite feels a lot like a massive Zelda game. It even has dungeon-like structures.

Halo_Infinite_Keyart_Primary_Horiz-scale
POWERUP-GAMING.COM

Many years ago, when I was a much younger, thinner lad I moved out of home and went to live with friends. We'd spend all our time drinking and playing video games. One night, some friends from out of town came over for a party and brought their Xbox with them along with a copy…

In addition to the ability to tackle combat however you like, the final cherry on top is that playing Halo Infinite feels fucking fantastic. Being the Master Chief makes you feel like the interplanetary badass he is and zipping around the battlefield punching the absolute custard out of aliens is a joy that’s too pure for this world. The pure, unbridled joy I’ve felt while playing Halo Infinite is almost beyond comparison and I am so very keen to see how this story ends.

halo_infinite_Yl9R6Ra.jpg
WWW.VG247.COM

Halo Infinite's significant extra development time is reflected in satisfying, tight encounter design. The visual upgrade is less impressive.

I guess what I’m saying is that while Halo Infinite does look a lot like an Xbox One game with some extra bells and whistles, I’m finding it difficult to really care. The fact I feel that way is a credit to the game - I’m able to ignore that because I’m enjoying approaching its combat encounters in an open manner. I’m enjoying what the open world is bringing to the table. And, against all odds, after falling almost completely out of love with the Halo lore… I’m enjoying the narrative, and the surprisingly full way in which Master Chief feels characterized in this game.

e986f6d0-48f0-11ec-ba7f-53835e8f2ce4
WWW.ENGADGET.COM

Halo Infinite starts out rough, but shines when it finally delivers on the promise of an open-world Halo game..

Despite the rocky start, I came away from my glimpse at Halo Infinity's campaign with the urge to keep exploring. I wanted to optimize my Master Chief build, and I was eager to see if the game would somehow wrap up his relationship with Cortana, his previous AI who turned into a galactic threat. Mostly, though, I was curious to see what else 343 Industries had in store. After a decade leading the franchise, it seems like the studio is finally ready to let Halo evolve.

I'm still searching for a spark in Halo Infinite's campaign (Eurogamer)

Halo Infinite's campaign is about the spaces in-between. Open worlds live or die on those in-between spaces, don't they? What is the value of an open-world littered with objectives that are clearly displayed on a map screen, if there is nothing between the objectives to stumble upon, to lead you off the path of least resistance? What secrets will you uncover on this broken ring, if there is no sense of mystery to their discovery?

I've played Halo Infinite's campaign for a handful of hours now, taking in its first four missions and a generous dollop of exploration, and I'm still searching for that spark in the in-between places. Not the Guilty Spark - that relentless chatterbox can do one. I mean the kind of spark that surprises and delights.

CtvrdDDJVeQYutdzvETXAB-1200-80.jpg
WWW.PCGAMER.COM

The grappling hook changes everything.

In exploration, the grappling hook again feels like an essential piece of Infinite's design. This Halo ring is full of mountainous terrain that would be tedious or impossible to scale without it, but with it every pile of rocks is an enticing challenge.

Despite its free roaming map, Infinite surprisingly doesn't really feel like a radical reinvention of Halo. It mostly just feels like Halo, but bigger, and with more options. There are ways I think 343 could push this style of design further in the future, like giving you more tools for stealth or ways to command marines other than honking a Warthog horn—your options there now feel especially limiting with this newfound scale. But radical reinvention clearly wasn't the goal here, and so far I'm deeply impressed with how well Big Halo preserves all the ingredients that make combat in this series so fun.

HaloInfinite_Campaign04_3840x2160-WM-sca
WWW.VIDEOGAMESCHRONICLE.COM

343's Campaign team discuss the delay, move to an open structure and the future…

Recently, VGC was able to play the opening hours of the solo mode and early impressions suggest that the combination of traditional Halo sandbox gameplay with a large, open world could turn out to be a perfect marriage for the series.

The cinematic elements seen in recent games are still very much here, but the freedom, scale and experimentation within the moment-to-moment gameplay feels like a welcome call back to the Bungie classics of old. Hopefully, with further playtime, the activities on offer don’t become repetitive, but it’s looking promising for a strong release.

To find out more about the campaign, we spoke with Paul Crocker (associate creative director), Steve Dyck (character director), Justin Dinges (campaign art lead) and Jeff Easterling (Halo franchise & narrative writer). The questions below were taken from a group of journalists from different media outlets.

ss_139cc855c27fe902e58ba8e7af0aad1aee6ac
WWW.POLYGON.COM

A semi-open world holds lots of traditionally Halo-styled encounters

This is where the small details — those familiar sights and sounds — make a huge difference. It’s the satisfying whap of a carbine blast hitting an enemy. The funny and often ridiculous dialogue from Halo Infinite’s grunts. The small scenes set up at offshoot camps with weapons and hidden sound bites, ways to eke out more story centered around the other people in the world. Halo Infinite is, largely, about Master Chief and his journey, but that doesn’t mean that everything else is neglected; some of my favorite moments playing Halo Infinite during this preview were stumbling upon small Banished outposts while driving around with a car full of eager marines. I loved navigating our doomed Warthog up rocks — and sometimes off of cliffs — marines egging me on as I (sometimes) made a perfect landing. Other times, I wandered into shockingly hard battles that weren’t even plotted out on the map: Where I thought I was simply clearing a propaganda tower, I ended up taking on waves of reinforcements with high-level troops.

In the early hours of Halo Infinite that I played for this preview, I found a few of the base-clearing missions to be repetitive. But, as counterpoints to the more linear, sometimes corridor-heavy story missions, these side quests serve as refreshing changes of pace. Even after this four mission preview, I’ve barely scratched the surface of Halo Infinite’s newly unfurled world.

haloinfinite_brutecloseup_4k_ddc79b7e0aa
WWW.POLYGON.COM

Craig’s redemption is part of Halo Infinite’s long journey

343 Industries’ first forays into Halo — Halo 4 and Halo 5: Guardians — aren’t bad games. (Halo 5’s multiplayer, for its part, is fantastic.) But for hardcore fans of the series, they just didn’t feel like Halo. Halo 4 introduced a new ability system that fundamentally changed how playing Halo felt. In Halo 5, 343 Industries pulled back on those abilities, but that game pushed too far away from Master Chief, instead adding a second playable protagonist to the mix.

At this point, 343 Industries has recognized these mistakes. Developers who spoke with Polygon say they’re proud of the older games they made, but they also know that those experiences didn’t nail Halo’s feel. With Halo Infinite, 343 Industries wants to fix that, even with its past games stacked against it.

kHxhuL4wC7ihTcgtd7cza6-1200-80.jpg
WWW.PCGAMER.COM

One week in, Halo Infinite is proving itself a worthy revival of a multiplayer classic.

Surprise—a new Halo came out this week! Master Chief might not return in earnest until December 8, but in celebration of the series' 20th anniversary, 343 Industries launched Infinite's free-to-play multiplayer a little early, as a treat.

Now, we've had two years of The Master Chief Collection to warm us up. But Infinite isn't just the first new mainline Halo entry in six years (after the poorly-received Halo 5), it's the first to launch on PC at the same time as Microsoft's flagship consoles. A bunch of us have been putting the hours into Halo Infinite's multiplayer this week, and it's time to ask: Is it good?

Halo Infinite: the big interview with 343 Head of Creative Joseph Staten (Eurogamer)

So, I spend my time with Staten discussing the development of Halo Infinite, which of course was once meant to come out alongside the Xbox Series X and S November last year. Staten came onto the project 15 months ago, reportedly to get Infinite "back on track" after what's been a troubled development. But what work exactly has he done since then? It's something we dig into during the interview below.

We also talk about Halo Infinite's campaign (hands-on impressions here), which Staten insists was deliberately designed to be one players will actually complete after user data showed most people don't finish Halo campaigns.

Halo-Infinite-Campaign.jpg
WWW.CONSOLECREATURES.COM

After spending the better part of a week with Halo Infinite, the extra time to polish the experience was critical to getting to this point. The gunplay is good, the sandbox open-world will pull players in and the conclusion to a long-gestating story looks like it will be addressed.

Spending several hours with Halo Infinite has shifted my outlook for next month. I think the extra time given to the studio was the best thing that could have happened and I’m eager to see the rest of the game given the series’ new direction. I feel like I’ve only scratched the surface of what the game is offering in addition to the stellar combat the series is known for. While the earliest sections have pulled me in, I’m keen to see how the developers plan on ending things, given the stakes and the core relationship between Master Chief and Cortana. By adding exploration and the choice to upgrade into the mix, Halo Infinite offers one of the most exciting games for the series in years.

3908457-2233221144-Halo-.jpg
WWW.GAMESPOT.COM

343 Industries is taking some bold moves in attempting to return Master Chief to his former glory.

With the grappleshot, there's a sense of dominance you can exert over the battlefield that feels genuinely exhilarating. And even out of combat, moving around the vast open world is made all the more enjoyable by the grappleshot. I was able to scale cliff sides with ease, and leap from ridiculous heights and land safely simply by grappling at the last moment. At times, I felt like a pebble skimming across the top of water, and it was a delight.

These elements alone bode well for the open-world format. Moving around Zeta Halo with the grappleshot and then descending upon entrenched Banished to clear out FOBs alone feels like it could be a great new addition to the Halo formula, and one that modernizes a franchise that, for me, has been struggling to find a comfortable new groove to work within in the post-Bungie era.

But, I think the broader implication of what the open world and the various missions offered within it represent is way more exciting for me. The first few missions of Infinite feel like 343 saying it knows that it has some work to do still; that it needs to prove that Halo, and Master Chief, still have what it takes. And that is exactly what it feels like the game is about: Unlike the last few games in the series, Halo Infinite doesn't just want to say Master Chief is a legendary Spartan, it wants you to prove it.

550e446b-d7b2-4387-8946-c808f83b09c8-wcc
WWW.INVERSE.COM

The 'Halo Infinite' campaign cherry-picks from the best trends in gaming to exceed expectations in every way, redefining a new benchmark for the genre.

Despite the overall polish of the experience, certain aspects can sometimes feel underwhelming or shallow. Dropships attacking you like a Skyrim dragon encounter or fireteams of invisible Elite assassins would go a long way to making Zeta Halo feel more like a living place. High-value targets feel like Halo Infinite’s take on Orc generals from Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor. If Halo Infinite adopted that lively Nemesis System and gave each target quick cutscenes and more personality, I would play this game forever. Instead, they’re little more than slightly buffed regular enemies with cool custom weapons you can snag.

Does wanting more of a good thing count as a flaw? For all I know, maybe these elements — or something similar — are coming later in the game. The roster of villains in the campaign story is an absolute treat with far more personality and depth than previous entries, even though it sometimes feels like they exist beyond the limits of Zeta Halo’s open-world.

If the first four missions are any indication, Halo Infinite is shaping up to be the most cinematic, gripping, and emotional Halo journey yet. It already feels like the best thing 343 Industries has done since it took over the franchise a decade ago, and all it needs to do is stick the landing. To my fellow Halo diehards: You’re going to love this. Play it on an Xbox Series X with the biggest and best TV you can find.

Halo is back, and it’s bigger than ever.

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Halo Infinite (8 December 2021) - Information Thread, update: multiple campaign previews/videos posted
12 minutes ago, DarkStar189 said:

Any word from the devs about improving the load times in multiplayer? Some games seem to load alright, others feel really slow. 

Its cross gen.  If youre playing with OG Xbox One owners, or pc players with old scholl slow HDDs, you will load in slower.

Last night was Halo's first competitive open qualifier for its Competitive scene.  Since it's dropped, Halo has completely owned my Twitter timeline, much to my surprise.  I didn't think it'd be quite as popular right away.  I never really followed much competitive gaming scenes, but in recent years have followed some FNCS, and Apex's ALGS.  I watched some of yesterday, and do find following the Arena style competitive gameplay a lot harder to follow than a BR, but it was still intense at times and entertaining.

The amount of enthusiasm around Halo right now is infectious.  They have really nailed just about everything about the game, (other than the progression).  Guess that year delay really did the team well, it really does feel like Halo is back.

29 minutes ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

Wtf is going on that co-op is gonna take six more months to get running?

I read its due to the new open world nature of the game, and how to implement different systems like autosaves, respawns, ect.

Like do you tether different players near each other or let them all roam free to tackle whatever they want.  Do they teleport players if one is about to start some kind of mission and the others are farther away.

How to balance the campaign around multiple playere in an open world format.  More enmies, stronger enemies?

There have been enough open world type coop games though that it doesnt seem like itd be all that complex.

16 minutes ago, JPDunks4 said:

I read its due to the new open world nature of the game, and how to implement different systems like autosaves, respawns, ect.

Like do you tether different players near each other or let them all roam free to tackle whatever they want.  Do they teleport players if one is about to start some kind of mission and the others are farther away.

How to balance the campaign around multiple playere in an open world format.  More enmies, stronger enemies?

There have been enough open world type coop games though that it doesnt seem like itd be all that complex.

…not to mention the year long delay the game has already had. When co-op was just delayed until January I figured they needed an extra month to iron things out. Tweak syncing and difficulty a bit. But hell another 6 months?!

it almost feels like “tell me you didn’t give shit about co-op without telling me you didn’t give a shit”.

17 minutes ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

…not to mention the year long delay the game has already had. When co-op was just delayed until January I figured they needed an extra month to iron things out. Tweak syncing and difficulty a bit. But hell another 6 months?!

it almost feels like “tell me you didn’t give shit about co-op without telling me you didn’t give a shit”.

TBH I'd rather have the devs take all the time in the world instead of releasing a buggy mess and patching it as they go. Just look at Battlefield :doh:So far the extra year has been worth it just with how the multiplayer has turned out. It's the best playing competitive Halo. I'll gladly wait for the co op campaign if it launches as smooth as the multiplayer.

19 minutes ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

Im curious of the Season 2 date they are giving is a worse case scenario.  Under promise, over deliver.  Say it wont be out for 6 months, then suprise everyone 3 months early with the update. 

6 months seems like a long time for something like this.

14 hours ago, sblfilms said:

Honestly, I’m stunned by how much fun I’ve been having with Infinite multiplayer. A game that really emphasizes having fun? Plz can haz more?

I’d like to see a couple things (at least for now). Being able to increase the difficulty of the bots in the match made bots mode. And/or 343 having some mandatory minimum settings in custom games where you could get Xp from those games. 

Mandatory minimum settings being there to try to prevent just XP farming, but encourage actual match play. So like you can play a game where it’s pistols only and 1-hit kills and the bots in the lowest difficulty, first time 10 kills, but you won’t get any XP. 

Man, I hope some of this stuff gets tuned.

the commando is a shit gun. Worse than a DMR or an assault rifle. Just absolutely a horrible weapon. Hell, the sidekick is a better weapon. 

the sword takes too long to swap/ready, and the lunge is waaaaaaaaay to far. The hammer’s range is too large and it’s too slow to slam. It’s like 343 built these weapons for

camping even in long hallways. 

speaking of camping, 343 needs to learn that moving while crouched is still moving. You can’t call it a motion tracker if it doesn’t detect motion where a cheap $30 home alarm motion detector strapped to a spartan’s chest would do a better job. It’s been 20 years. Even COD learned how to tune camping by not making it as easy to just disappear from detection. Sheesh. 

also the UNSC clearly has the worst engineers if also after 20 years they can’t figure out how to make a digital optical zoom not zoom back out just because the shields take a tiny hit. It’s not a scope. It’s a camera on the weapon feeding optics directly to the HUD in the helmet. Read your own lore 343. 

Launch Sites is one of the worst Halo maps ever made, and the 343 employee(s) responsible for it should feel extremely bad about it. Although Live Fire is a great map and they should feel good about that. 

whats the point of the laser sniper that takes three shots to kill when a regular sniper rifle exists in the game that takes 2 shots maximum, and can do the job in a single headshot? 

too many of these guns seem like they made them so “safe” to the point they’re kind dumb. The Hydra. Supposed to shoot small homing rockets that take forever to kill anyone, and barely have any tracking. It seems best used up close as a shot gun. What’s the point of the Heatwave’s primary fire mode? It ends up taking twice as many shots as the alt fire mode. The Skewer’s application is as a hop fire counter to a lunging sword. It is amazing at this. It is mediocre at everything else. 

making challenges the primary source of XP for the battle pass and the only way to level up the event pass makes the MP feel

more like a chore where you’re trying to check things off your list, rather than playing to have fun. How has COD been around for so long and 343 still not learned how to hook players with that dopamine hit of leveling up? 

…I may have to boot up the MCC, but I remember liking Reach more. Though I like this more than Halo 3. 

59 minutes ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

Man, I hope some of this stuff gets tuned.

the commando is a shit gun. Worse than a DMR or an assault rifle. Just absolutely a horrible weapon. Hell, the sidekick is a better weapon.

If you can hit your shots its got an incredibly fast TTK.

the sword takes too long to swap/ready, and the lunge is waaaaaaaaay to far. The hammer’s range is too large and it’s too slow to slam. It’s like 343 built these weapons for

camping even in long hallways. 

Melee in general is broken.

speaking of camping, 343 needs to learn that moving while crouched is still moving. You can’t call it a motion tracker if it doesn’t detect motion where a cheap $30 home alarm motion detector strapped to a spartan’s chest would do a better job. It’s been 20 years. Even COD learned how to tune camping by not making it as easy to just disappear from detection. Sheesh.

Thats the trade off, move slowly and silently or be seen. Because how loud spartans are this even applies when motion trackers are off.

also the UNSC clearly has the worst engineers if also after 20 years they can’t figure out how to make a digital optical zoom not zoom back out just because the shields take a tiny hit. It’s not a scope. It’s a camera on the weapon feeding optics directly to the HUD in the helmet. Read your own lore 343.

Halo 4 proved that not having descope was a terrible decision. Sniper became EZ mode.

Launch Sites is one of the worst Halo maps ever made, and the 343 employee(s) responsible for it should feel extremely bad about it. Although Live Fire is a great map and they should feel good about that.

This and Halo 4 by far have the worst Halo maps to date. Its not even close.

whats the point of the laser sniper that takes three shots to kill when a regular sniper rifle exists in the game that takes 2 shots maximum, and can do the job in a single headshot?

Its basically what a DMR should be.

too many of these guns seem like they made them so “safe” to the point they’re kind dumb. The Hydra. Supposed to shoot small homing rockets that take forever to kill anyone, and barely have any tracking. It seems best used up close as a shot gun. What’s the point of the Heatwave’s primary fire mode? It ends up taking twice as many shots as the alt fire mode. The Skewer’s application is as a hop fire counter to a lunging sword. It is amazing at this. It is mediocre at everything else.

Majority of the guns are trash and aren't even worth picking up.

I wasn't real happy with how the game felt so I looked up sensitivity settings and found this:

The best sensitivity settings in Halo Infinite for controller players:
Move: Center Deadzone: 6
Look: Center Deadzone: 6
Move: Max Input Threshold: 0
Look: Max Input Threshold: 9
Move: Axial Deadzone: 6
Look: Axial Deadzone: 1
Look Acceleration: 2
Look Sensitivity (Horizontal): 7
Look Sensitivity (Vertical): 7

I don't have much experience with how all those help, but  as soon as I changed all those I thought, "hey this feels pretty nice". I feel like I'm getting more kills and can keep up with people better in a firefight now too. I'd be curious to see what you all think of them or if you have any recommendations you like. 

1 hour ago, DarkStar189 said:

I wasn't real happy with how the game felt so I looked up sensitivity settings and found this:

The best sensitivity settings in Halo Infinite for controller players:
Move: Center Deadzone: 6
Look: Center Deadzone: 6
Move: Max Input Threshold: 0
Look: Max Input Threshold: 9
Move: Axial Deadzone: 6
Look: Axial Deadzone: 1
Look Acceleration: 2
Look Sensitivity (Horizontal): 7
Look Sensitivity (Vertical): 7

I don't have much experience with how all those help, but  as soon as I changed all those I thought, "hey this feels pretty nice". I feel like I'm getting more kills and can keep up with people better in a firefight now too. I'd be curious to see what you all think of them or if you have any recommendations you like. 

Yeah, I've heard a lot of competitive players are still on controller and figured they must've found some settings that work, since the default feels awful.

38 minutes ago, Moa said:

Yeah, I've heard a lot of competitive players are still on controller and figured they must've found some settings that work, since the default feels awful.

I'm really happy with these settings. First game I played tonight I went 12 kills 4 deaths. I was always at the bottom of the list before. They don't feel super twitchy or anything either. Just feels good.