Halo Infinite - Information Thread, update (01/15/24): Certain Affinity's battle royale project reportedly cancelled, UE5-based campaign project in development since 2022

JPDunks4

12 hours ago, Brick said:

Wait is this the full build of the multiplayer or just a beta? 

12 hours ago, sblfilms said:

Beta, but my first few games felt like a game that is shippable. Very impressed so far

It's a "beta" in the sense that the ACTUAL release is still December 8, but for all intents and purposes, this is the "final" build.

STEAM Launch day(Day 1) CCU Peak for F2P Games (From SteamDB):

1. Counter Strike: Global Offensive after converting to F2P (6th December, 2018): 688,741
2. DOTA 2 Full Launch (9th July, 2013): 335,335
3. Halo Infinite Multiplayer (15th November, 2021): 272,586
4. Destiny 2 (1st October, 2019): 219,307
5. Team Fortress 2 after going F2P (24th June 2011): 91,350
6. Apex Legends (5th November, 2020): 88,869
7. Warframe (25th March, 2013): 19,390

1 hour ago, Keyser_Soze said:

I got a killing spree last night. Would normally be happy about it but my team sucked and we absolutely got stomped. You know our team is in bad shape when I'm near the top of the scoreboard. :p

This exact thing just happened to me. Number one on my team, so of course we lost. 

12 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

There's never been a better time to be bad at it than now!

So yeah, I guess you’re right!

• Thanks 1

I really enjoyed the hour or so I played it last night. Halo just has a certain feel to it that I can’t quite put my finger on, but it seems you either like that feel of gameplay or you hate it. I put soooooo many hours into H1 and H2 multiplayer and this is bringing back a lot of memories. Definitely some tricks I see other players using that I’ll have to learn

35 minutes ago, legend said:

The secret to doing well is to be better than everyone else. Work on that and you'll have no problem!

So I can either improve my own skills, or find people who are worse and play with them? Interesting. 

Unrelated, we should get some D1P game nights going. It's been a while. 

My shooter of choice for a while now has been Destiny 2, though I play almost entirely PvE. In Destiny the TTK is short enough that firefights rarely last more than a few seconds, and at my skill level I tend not to win unless I've caught someone completely off guard. So I'm really enjoying the higher TTK in Halo. It means firefights last longer, that I have time to escape bad situations, and overall makes combat feel more strategic. Especially in big team battles where another target is easy to come by. It's far easier for me to put myself among teammates and to be useful, even if I'm not the one with the best aim or reaction time.

I'm also enjoying all the objectives. Even if it's just zone control, since, unlike Destiny, capturing the zones actually matters. Having any kind of objective that matters more than killing enemies greatly increases my enjoyment of a game like this. I'm never going to have the best ktd ratio, but I can still contribute by being in the right place at the right time, by collecting power cells, defending a flag, or grabbing the right weapon to take out an enemy vehicle.

Of course, the thing that keeps me coming back to Destiny is the PvE aspect. So far it seems like if there's one game that might get me to play some PvP, it might just be Infinite.

Started off with the 4v4 mode and really didn't like it. It just felt like a Destiny PvP match with all the charm stripped out.

However, I like the Big Team Matches a lot more. A bit more like Battlefield with the stupid hijinks, but requiring a little more skill. Still way too slow for my personal taste (Quake 3 Arena minimum speed or bust!) but I still had fun. Kind of not a fan of the weapon system. The default AR is very wimpy and not fun to shoot, but at least in the modes I played, instead of a loadout you just kind of wait for weapons to slowly load in. Which in something like the aforementioned Quake 3 Arena is fine because there's weapons all over the place and they spawn super fast, but here it kind of felt like most of them were near base (with a few in the middle depending on the map) and they were taken pretty frequently. I also don't play much Halo so I have absolutely zero sense of power scale and I'm not familiar with how all the weapons work. Gonna have to do some practice I think.

For example, based on my personal experience, the default pistol is far superior to the AR because you can unload a clip into someone's head in like a second and a half and have them dead before reloading, whereas it feels like you pelt them with an AR for 300 years before you get through their shields, at which point you generally don't have enough ammo to finish them so you have to melee or switch weapons, which is already far less convenient than just capping them with the pistol to begin with.

Speaking of melee, I'm mixed on it. When the melee "lock-on" lunge works, it feels great. Reminds me of Destiny in a way, which makes sense. But when that lunge doesn't activate it feels like shit and just ruins my good time. And of course there doesn't appear to be an indicator when you're in range so you just gotta really hope you judged that you're not one pixel too far for it to activate. But then you'll get hit by someone else's melee while you're 10 feet above them and they're looking the other way, so hurray for latency!

I personally think the melee might be a little too strong, as my go-to tactic to wipe out a team is to just kind of pelt them all a little with the AR to get their shields low (doesn't seem like it needs to be broken for the melee to insta-kill, just low-ish) and maybe a grenade if I can actually get one to hit them, and then just literally jump around like a rabbit spamming melee. I've gotten several triple and quad kills like this and it feels silly. I don't hate it or anything but if that becomes a trend it'll be really dumb.

That said, I like a higher TTK, have never liked low TTK because it just encourages nothing but flanking. "Duh! You're supposed to flank!" Yeah, to get an advantage. Not to just insta-win every confrontation. Call of Duty is super guilty of this; your chances of even being able to successfully turn around if someone gets the drop on you, let alone firing back, are vanishingly small, and that chance gets exponentially smaller the better the person is at aiming. I just don't find that kind of engagement satisfying. I've always been a much bigger fan of Tribes or Quake where a firefight can last from several seconds to over a minute depending on the location and skill of the two players, which to me is a story in and of itself, making encounters just that: encounters. You will know how that person fights as you play against them more and more, rather than every single person in the match dying to literally the exact same flanking like in CoD because that game is all about lots of hallways and entryways that making watching your back virtually impossible if you're not camping a room.

In short, having a good time! Still not blowing my mind, but for a free multiplayer experience it seems super solid and very fun on Big Team Match.

I also enjoyed the Big Team games more. The 4v4 maps just all felt too small. But that’s from a guy who thought 4v4 in the original blood gulch was perfect. Over the years Halo got more and more frantic which I personsonally didn’t enjoy. The slow pace was something unique to halo that I enjoyed. The big team battles kinda let you do both. You can charge in and go all crazy melee happy. Or you can hang back to the edges and try to pick your spots. 

all in all there’s nothing mind blowing about this but that’s a good thing I think. I just want my Halo MP to feel like Halo. 

I really didn't care for Halo 4's multiplayer and hadn't touched the 343 designed Halos since then, but I'm enjoying infinite and it feels like Halo to me. Some of the weapon balance feels off but the BR, AR, and pistol all feel great. I'm glad the AR isn't complete trash but that the pistol also outclasses it if you're accurate. The movement feels good and I'm glad the difference between sprinting and walking isn't that significant.

Everything about the design and gameplay feels pretty solid and Halo-y to me, but what does bother me is that the controller auto-aim is much worse than in the old-school Halos. This is the first Halo game that I will be using M/K on, and I've always enjoyed Halo as a controller shooter. I've always been an M/K partisan, except when it comes to Halo. It's funny playing Halo 2 on the MCC and knowing you're going to win a match when you see that your whole team is using controllers and the enemy team is using M/K.

22 minutes ago, Mercury33 said:

Yeah you move slow as hell with the ball so it should be one hit kill if you’re dumb enough to get too close. 

it’s been awhile since I played a Halo but didn’t they add in execution animations when you melee’d someone from behind at one point? I miss that 

You can sprint with the ball and flag.

EDIT: I lied only flag.

1 hour ago, Mercury33 said:

Yeah you move slow as hell with the ball so it should be one hit kill if you’re dumb enough to get too close. 

it’s been awhile since I played a Halo but didn’t they add in execution animations when you melee’d someone from behind at one point? I miss that 

Don't quote me but I think i remember them saying that they just won't be there at launch. That or they took them out because the community (ie the pros and YouTubers) didn't like it. 

9 hours ago, Kal-El814 said:

I am fucking trash at online competitive shooters, but on day one you get to match up with people playing Grifball who seem to not realize you should shoot the person with the skull, so that’s something!

Yeah. I think I've encountered the worst people when playing oddball. I think they must be trolling. One guy had the ball on the other team but kept picking it up and dropping it abut they had positional advantage the whole time, they could have won but we ended up getting the ball away from him.

On the other hand I had another game where some guy refuses to pick it up or even drops the ball and gives it right to the enemy. There was like 2 seconds on the ball and he just gives it away.

I hope they add some rep system so I can avoid these people.

Only jumped onto a couple games tonight after work. I would of played more but experiencing some major lag in all 3 games. My wifi is strong, but loading games took forever and I had to close the game on the system after every match. After every game I ran into some loading error or one time saying You’ve been Booted over and over again.plus the announcer and my A.I. buddy kept constantly repeating itself. Hoping they know of the problems and are better tomorrow night for a Halo night with some friends of mine.