Halo Infinite - Information Thread, update (01/15/24): Certain Affinity's battle royale project reportedly cancelled, UE5-based campaign project in development since 2022

JPDunks4

14 minutes ago, Nokt said:

I'm trying to explain to you that its a misconception that they expected players to have knowledge outside of the game. Its just a poorly told story, but I appear to be doing it as poorly as the game did.

They 100% did expect and/or assume players of the Halo games were “into” the mythos beyond the games. It was a main complaint people had over 4’s SP, and the expectation of “knowing non-game mythos” was even more apparent in 5.

When I played through Halo 1-5 two years ago, I was barely interested in the story from the jump. By the time I got to 4, I wasn’t even trying to pay attention, but I still enjoyed the action enough to finish it. I don’t think I even got halfway through Halo 5, because even the gameplay was completely dull. 

1 hour ago, Spork3245 said:

They 100% did expect and/or assume players of the Halo games were “into” the mythos beyond the games. It was a main complaint people had over 4’s SP, and the expectation of “knowing non-game mythos” was even more apparent in 5.

Give me an example or something to work with. How does knowing Didact's backstory change the plot of Halo 4 in any meaningful way? Is there vital information left out in order to understand the plot? Every thread I can find about "required reading" recommends the same 4/5 books that do expand upon a lot of the characters in Halo 4, but I don't find it required to understand whats going on.

Halo 5 is a different beast, that whole game is just a wreck.

3 hours ago, Nokt said:

Give me an example or something to work with. How does knowing Didact's backstory change the plot of Halo 4 in any meaningful way? Is there vital information left out in order to understand the plot? Every thread I can find about "required reading" recommends the same 4/5 books that do expand upon a lot of the characters in Halo 4, but I don't find it required to understand whats going on.

Halo 5 is a different beast, that whole game is just a wreck.

It doesn’t affect the story in terms of being better/worse because the story is garbage, but that doesn’t change the fact that 343 clearly thought Halo game fans knew about all the mythos. When I played it:  “who is this? Why does MC and Cortana seem to know about him? What are these things I’m fighting? Why do MC and Cortana know what these things are? What’s with these covenant guys being weird? Wasn’t MC frozen, why does he seem to know what’s going on and I don’t? Wait, USNC doesn’t like MC now?”. This opinion is not unique, yours is. If you thought the story telling in 4 was fine and didn’t assume other knowledge, then I’m just glad you’re not a writer. :p 

Halo is fun

Story is ok

Halo 4's problem is they made a big fancy story to show gamers "343 runs the show now, not Bungie"...but they tried too hard and lost many of those Halo fans they were trying to impress.

Halo 5...meh

I am hopeful for what's next though.

47 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

It doesn’t affect the story because the story is garbage, but that doesn’t change the fact that 343 clearly thought Halo game fans knew about all the mythos. When I played it:  “who is this? Why does MC and Cortana seem to know about him? What are these things I’m fighting? Why do MC and Cortana know what these things are? What’s with these covenant guys being weird? Wasn’t MC frozen, why does he seem to know what’s going on and I don’t? Wait, USNC doesn’t like MC now?”. This opinion is not unique, yours is. If you thought the story telling in 4 was fine and didn’t assume other knowledge, then I’m just glad you’re not a writer. :p 

I think his point was that the books don't even help because the story was that much of a mess. Not that the story was in any shape or form fine :p 

I will attest to Halo 4 not even making any sense to me and I read a few of the books and the (possibly more informative but only superficially ) Halo 3 hidden terminals before it.

28 minutes ago, legend said:

I think his point was that the books don't even help because the story was that much of a mess. Not that the story was in any shape or form fine :p 

I will attest to Halo 4 not even making any sense to me and I read a few of the books and the (possibly more informative but only superficially ) Halo 3 hidden terminals before it.

I totally get that point. However, when you're arguing that the game doesn't expect you to know the mythos/books by referencing characters from said books and explaining their motivations (ie: the motivations of certain characters are already expected to be known in the game)... you're kinda making the opposite point. Maybe the SP wouldn't have been any better/worse with knowledge from the books, but that doesn't exactly change the fact that 343 clearly used information found in the non-game universe for Halo 4 SP and made the assumption that game-only fans had some type of knowledge about that stuff. It's like when 343 got the news they'd be taking over Halo from Bungie, they forced everyone in the company to read every book and every fan-wiki out there before working on the game; Halo 4 (and 5) was basically a bad fan-fic of expanded universe stuff.

The biggest show of this, IMO, and I'm going off memory from a 7.5+ year old game, was that new characters/enemies were just presented in a "OMG! LOOK WHO IT IS!" way with established characters not having any questions and just kinda knowing what was going on and who/what they were dealing with. All that was needed was something like Cortana going "holy crap! that's X!" with MC then asking "who?" and Cortana giving some exposition with a "how is he alive?" or something. It was all just so cringe-worthy. 

If the only point is "the books were a hot mess too and wouldn't have made the game better" cool, then say that. Instead, the argument seems to also be "the game didn't expect you to know the expanded universe stuff" which is just pure craziness, IMO.

Halo 4 was horrible for multiple reasons, not even including the story.

They brought in these forerunners which were not as interesting as the covenant or brutes or even the flood.

The forerunner weapons were terrible.

Enemies felt like bullet sponges.

This is the ONLY Halo game I've ever run out of ammo.

Also, I feel like it's the only Halo game where there was a clear line that the AI would deaggro at. So you could cheese some enemies, something you couldn't do in previous games. There are several difficult areas in the game in single player but if you play it in co-op it's super easy.

The boss battle is a QTE. :facepalm:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

I totally get that point. However, when you're arguing that the game doesn't expect you to know the mythos/books by referencing characters from said books and explaining their motivations (ie: the motivations of certain characters are already expected to be known in the game)... you're kinda making the opposite point. Maybe the SP wouldn't have been any better/worse with knowledge from the books, but that doesn't exactly change the fact that 343 clearly used information found in the non-game universe for Halo 4 SP and made the assumption that game-only fans had some type of knowledge about that stuff. It's like when 343 got the news they'd be taking over Halo from Bungie, they forced everyone in the company to read every book and every fan-wiki out there before working on the game; Halo 4 (and 5) was basically a bad fan-fic of expanded universe stuff.

The biggest show of this, IMO, and I'm going off memory from a 7.5+ year old game, was that new characters/enemies were just presented in a "OMG! LOOK WHO IT IS!" way with established characters not having any questions and just kinda knowing what was going on and who/what they were dealing with. All that was needed was something like Cortana going "holy crap! that's X!" with MC then asking "who?" and Cortana giving some exposition with a "how is he alive?" or something. It was all just so cringe-worthy. 

If the only point is "the books were a hot mess too and wouldn't have made the game better" cool, then say that. Instead, the argument seems to also be "the game didn't expect you to know the expanded universe stuff" which is just pure craziness, IMO.

I think they mainly made it up after Bungie's Halo's. The impression of I had of the Forerunner was nothing like what they ultimately did. The first Forerunner book, which also didn't really shed any light on anything either, was also written for the new 343 Halo.

So I am in complete agreement that it's like fan fic. In fact, I'd go further and say it's like they made up fan fic and didn't bother to tell anyone about it :p 

Halo 4's story was a complete mess on so many levels.

If nothing else Halo 4 and Halo 5 are pretty to look at. They have a couple of epic moments too that are fitting for the series. And I enjoyed 5's MP for quite a length of time. I'm excited for this one because the scuttle seems to be that 343i is "listening to the fans" this time around. Though that always has mixed results.

All I can repeat is say that when I played Halo 4, I had little fucking idea what was going on and I followed the Halo mythos up to that point. It sounded like there were forerunners, but then also humans who were super advanced in the past, and then some other shit? There were also TV series and webseries I didn't watch either.

12 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

It doesn’t affect the story in terms of being better/worse because the story is garbage, but that doesn’t change the fact that 343 clearly thought Halo game fans knew about all the mythos.

Thinking about nods into the mythos doesn't make it required reading.

When I played it:  “who is this? Why does MC and Cortana seem to know about him?

They don't. An elite calls the Didact by name is his opening cutscene. Cortana even pauses before saying his name for the first time "That...Didact. He manipulated Infinity's signal to get us to release him! Get up!" then a slipspace rupture opens up and MC has to escape.

What are these things I’m fighting? Why do MC and Cortana know what these things are?

They don't, they spend a whole level figuring it out.

"What were those things?" "Some sort of advanced defense AIs. Related to the Sentinels, I'm guessing, but it's hard to say without a closer look. C'mon, let's figure out where that transit system dumped us." "From that peek under the hood, I'd say these constructs must be mimetic in nature." "I've discovered something interesting about our new friends. When the big ones explode, that momentary flash we're seeing is actually a data purge." Then they find a terminal that calls them Prometheans, then later find out they were created using the Composer.

What’s with these covenant guys being weird?

Something a long the lines of "I thought we had a truce" "A lot can happen in 4 years". Not a great explanation, but it tells you what you need to know. They aren't friendly and you see them align themselves with the Didact in his opening cutscene.

Wasn’t MC frozen, why does he seem to know what’s going on and I don’t?

He asks why he was woken up, Cortana tells him there are intrusions on multiple decks and they need to get to the observation deck. They find they are outside a forerunner world and the covenant has been waiting/trying to open a way in.

Wait, USNC doesn’t like MC now?”.

MC questions Del Rio several times throughout the campaign and definitely gets on his short end of his patience. When Cortana's rampancy allows the Didact to escape Del Rio orders Lasky/MC to hand her over for decommission. Obviously they get into an argument and Del Rio orders for his arrest and nobody makes a move against the MC. It's just Del Rio who has a problem with him.

Just for clarity. Cortana's in game explanation of Rampancy

"I was put into service eight years ago."

"AIs deteriorate after seven, Chief."

"I won't recover from rampancy, Chief."

"How? How is this OK? How is putting you at risk because I can't hold it together OK? Chief, do you understand what rampancy is? Really? We don't just 'shut down'. Our cognitive processes begin dividing exponentially according to our total knowledge base. We literally think ourselves to death."

This opinion is not unique, yours is. If you thought the story telling in 4 was fine and didn’t assume other knowledge, then I’m just glad you’re not a writer. :p 

I just explained everything with things that happen in game or with in-game dialogue. I never stated it was a good story or that it was told in a good way. I stated the opposite 2 posts prior.

I had no problem following the story of 4 or 5 and I haven't read any of the books. The terminals are what go into the ancient stuff.

It's not like the first 3 games had some amazing story, what the prophets were after and why they hated humans was told terribly.

I have also always found the side characters far more interesting than the main characters in all of the Halo games, except the Arbiter in 2, who is great. MC and Locke are both super boring, with MC barely even having a personality and Locke being the standard "stay on mission above personality." I would take playing as any of their squad mates from 5 over them.

The two halo wars games probably have the best stories, because they aren't trying to cover everywhere and everything, they just focus on one lone ship trying to survive.

4 minutes ago, JPDunks4 said:

The rumor of an open world Halo would make it make sense to have a grappling hook as well.

Get this upgrade to allow you to further explore the world and access areas you previously couldn't.  

I'm probably getting ahead of myself - but I'm imagining some of the abilities from the Just Cause series added to Halo in a giant multiplayer match.  That could be pretty cool.

The halo ring has a very distinctive break in the background too. I guess we won’t be able to explore ALL of the ring. Still very cool.

That grappling hook makes me think we’ll be able to explore every inch of the map. Not to mention the flying vehicles too.

57 minutes ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

That poster alone indicates it's going to be open world. It has the same design as every open world adventure game poster ever. With a Halo skin.

I don't think that is what they were going for.  It is a recreation of the original Halo : Combat Evolved cover.

18 minutes ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

It also looks like every Just Cause poster showcasing a world with different environments and artifacts to explore.

Halo: CE - 2001

Just Cause - 2006

Every open world game ripped off of the Halo cover, then. Infinite is simply going back to what it started. 

• Haha 1

Watched the trailer for like a 4th time. First 3 were on my iPad and it looked ok. Found the 4K YouTube video to watch my my 4K tv and the graphics looked more impressive to me on a proper screen. Still think more detail would of been nice but maybe that will come with that free raytracing update they also announced with today’s info. 

10 hours ago, ManUtdRedDevils said:

MS confirmed that Halo Infinite will be the only Halo stand-alone game for the foreseeable future. All updates will happen in Infinite

They also confirmed things like grappling hook and other abilities would be map pick ups in the MP.