Halo Infinite - Information Thread, update (01/15/24): Certain Affinity's battle royale project reportedly cancelled, UE5-based campaign project in development since 2022

JPDunks4

7 hours ago, TwinIon said:

What free-to-play model do people actually like that you hope 343 emulates?

There are only two marginally free to play games I have much experience with: Hearthstone and Destiny 2. Neither is exactly a great model for Halo. Hearthstone for obvious reasons, and they've specifically mentioned they're not following the Destiny model, so that's out as well.

Personally, I prefer to pay for content in chunks, since I tend to play games that way. There are very few that I've played continuously over long periods of time, though that seems to be the exact kind of thing they (and everyone else) are looking for. Hopefully the battle pass is mostly cosmetics, though I'm not sure I see myself playing a ton of multiplayer anyways.

I'm completely cool with any model that revolves around cosmetics. In those cases, I may pay for some cosmetics but personally end up spending far less than I would for a full priced game. Fortunately for me, it seems other people value having a lot of cosmetics... a lot :p 

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, TwinIon said:

I know there are a lot of models that could make them profitable, I'm curious which models people like and why. As I said, I haven't played many F2P games, so I don't have many points of comparison.

Are all those games the same, or are there some that have better F2P models that you like better?

I think it will be profitable because people will still be paying for the single player content, in which case Halo was always "free to play" in a way because it was just an extra mode you could fire up.

If they add a bunch of cosmetic stuff or a battle pass like Warzone for the multiplayer then that is probably the way to go.

2 hours ago, legend said:

I'm completely cool with any model that revolves around cosmetics. In those cases, I may pay for some cosmetics but personally end up spending far less than I would for a full priced game. Fortunately for me, it seems other people value having a lot of cosmetics... a lot :p 

I am unfortunately one of those people....

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, TwinIon said:

What free-to-play model do people actually like that you hope 343 emulates?

There are only two marginally free to play games I have much experience with: Hearthstone and Destiny 2. Neither is exactly a great model for Halo. Hearthstone for obvious reasons, and they've specifically mentioned they're not following the Destiny model, so that's out as well.

Personally, I prefer to pay for content in chunks, since I tend to play games that way. There are very few that I've played continuously over long periods of time, though that seems to be the exact kind of thing they (and everyone else) are looking for. Hopefully the battle pass is mostly cosmetics, though I'm not sure I see myself playing a ton of multiplayer anyways.

I think they will go the Fortnite/Apex/Warzone model.  All of those revolve around a BR though, and as of now, there are rumors of a BR, but nothing confirmed.  I think for Halo Multiplayer to have long legs, they need a BR for the F2P model to work well.  CoD always sells huge, but Warzone really brought it to life and made it really blow up, at least with all my friends who game that largely only play BR's now for Multiplayer. 

They will have their seasonal Battle Pass for $10 with emotes/skins/armors and whatever else they throw in.  Then probably a rotating daily store with other Cosmetics.

I don't mind these at all, as the Battle Pass's are generally set up so that if you buy it once, it pays itself off with rewards and actually gives you $5 more in rewards than what you spent on it.  Allowing you to buy next seasons pass with the $ made back with a little extra to spend on a different skin.

I think BR is a good fit for the game or at least something similar.

I remember when XBL first came out and there were aspirations of 100 player battles and such, but the tech was not up to snuff on consoles so you'd never see it. Even Halo had "big team battle" which was actually not that big and only on special maps. So imagine they actually get a BIG team battle in Infinite.

1 minute ago, Keyser_Soze said:

I think BR is a good fit for the game or at least something similar.

I remember when XBL first came out and there were aspirations of 100 player battles and such, but the tech was not up to snuff on consoles so you'd never see it. Even Halo had "big team battle" which was actually not that big and only on special maps. So imagine they actually get a BIG team battle in Infinite.

Halo's original gameplay was a more open larger scale Multiplayer anyways, so it really lends itself perfectly for BR.  It has the Vehicles that were already pretty well balanced for Multiplayer modes.  The rechargeable Shield mechanic also would lend itself well for a BR.

I know I've said this a lot, and with the Single player being a Game as a Service, but I hope they go for the Live Events stuff in their game.  I try to make it to all of Fortnites Live Events even if I don't really play the game much, as they are always fun to experience and be a part of.  If a game I actually care about could pull off those same type of Live Events to progress their games stories, maps, characters, ect. I'd really love to see it done.  Destiny recently tried its first, and it wasn't the best, but I like that they tried something.  I am hoping Halo does something like this.

I always think of Halo as having been at its best in small battles, but that's probably because my fondest memories are split screen or local lan games.

I do think Halo is well suited to bigger battles, and really loved the big team battles in Halo 3. I'm not really fond of Battle Royale, but I've been wanting Halo to emulate the huge battles of Tribes 2 for a while now. Let us pilot Pelicans and make it playable at 64v64 and it would be a hell of a thing.

Halo Waypoint interview with composer Curtis Schweitzer

Halo Infinite is the most ambitious Halo game 343 has ever embarked on with an open, expansive ring that gives players exploratory freedoms like never before. However, it's not just the environment and gameplay that have expanded and evolved - so too has the music. To help achieve the musical vision for Halo Infinite, 343 Industries' Music Supervisor Joel Yarger has recruited three composers who each bring their own style and experiences to build on nearly twenty years of history to deliver familiar, yet fresh, motifs and emotions to players. 

Last week we had the privilege of speaking with Gareth Coker and hearing his new track, "Set a Fire in Your Heart." This week, we're excited to welcome Curtis Schweitzer who you first heard as part of the 2019 Discover Hope trailer and then again with his track, "Reverie," in last month's Campaign gameplay demo. Press play on the track below and sit back as we get to know a bit more about one of the new composers to join the Halo family. 

I really didn't think they'd actually delay it. I figured it was pretty do or die for them, but kudos for having the balls to delay a game that they don't think is ready. I'd much rather wait for a good Halo game than have a bad one launch, even if they figure it out eventually.

20 minutes ago, ManUtdRedDevils said:

Why delay? Microsoft is done with generations and is all in on services. Halo being delayed changes nothing except 2020 Game Pass sub forecast. 

Man, it changes a lot when most people are only buying one console at launch, and Halo was a major factor in a lot of those decisions 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, BloodyHell said:

Man, it changes a lot when most people are only buying one console at launch, and Halo was a major factor in a lot of those decisions 

Yeah, they choose one console at launch.  So if Xbox isn't on shelves because they delay to launch with Halo, what does that do to help Xbox.

It leaves just the PS5 on the shelves with no choice for consumers.

I still dont get the benefit to Xbox now to be out this Holiday.

1 minute ago, BloodyHell said:

The first wave will be people in regardless of Halo releasing this year.  There are plenty of games to play (current gen) that will get get improved performance.  

12 minutes ago, ManUtdRedDevils said:

No but average people ain’t paying $500 at launch anyway, let alone during a pandemic. But idiots are like me!  Release it. I am ready. 

Yea I am still buying at launch.  But I don't think I could really explain a great reason why at this point, other than I can and I want to.

10 minutes ago, ManUtdRedDevils said:

No but average people ain’t paying $500 at launch anyway,

The success of the PS4 and Xbone at launch disagrees :p 

10 minutes ago, ManUtdRedDevils said:

let alone during a pandemic. 

Video games and hardware sales have been through the roof all pandemic long, and that includes PC gaming hardware 

I echo the sentiment of so many others in agreement with the fact that the console launches should just wait until next year. I know financially it isn't feasible but it just reeks of bad taste & poor judgement in light of the ongoing global bastard. There aren't even any real "killer apps" for either console at launch this year.

1 hour ago, ManUtdRedDevils said:

No but average people ain’t paying $500 at launch anyway, let alone during a pandemic. But idiots are like me!  Release it. I am ready. 

Hardware sales have been extremely high during the pandemic. So has game sales. People are spending on entertainment. 
It certainly isn’t hardcore gamers buying consoles this late in the generation. When people are locked up, they need to be able to take their minds off of it. Games do that very well.