Halo Infinite - Information Thread, update (01/15/24): Certain Affinity's battle royale project reportedly cancelled, UE5-based campaign project in development since 2022

JPDunks4

58 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

60 FPS action in an arena shooter > guy's face looking less funny

As far as random canon fodder goes in Halo his face isn't even really that bad. Its his expression that is making people laugh.

The demo did have pop in and LOD issues, but its not even that just that.  The aesthetic is just bad. That entire demo looks like it was made in Halo 5's Forge mode.

Oh I agree, I don't think the game looks amazing or anything, seems kind of weird that this is their big showpiece for the presentation, but I wasn't horrified or anything. Dude definitely has a funny face, but people are going at it about the visuals, too.

1 minute ago, crispy4000 said:

That’s wild if true.  I get launch games being half-baked.  But doing it with Halo after 5 years of development, there would have to be a story there.

If it's true, they should just delay the entire project until next Spring.  I understand wanting to ship something to launch the new console, but at the end of the day, its your #1 IP, don't rush it.  Get it right and ship it when it's ready.  With Covid, people aren't going to kill you for delaying a game, but they will for releasing a rushed incomplete game.

1 hour ago, JPDunks4 said:

If it's true, they should just delay the entire project until next Spring.  I understand wanting to ship something to launch the new console, but at the end of the day, its your #1 IP, don't rush it.  Get it right and ship it when it's ready.  With Covid, people aren't going to kill you for delaying a game, but they will for releasing a rushed incomplete game.

Devil’s advocate: Couldn’t Games Pass/Games As A Service be used as an excuse for releasing it without multiplayer at launch?  Maybe in the grand scheme of things, it wouldn’t make that much of a difference.

I feel like MS made a big deal about it having ray-tracing in the initial reveal trailer from 12+ months ago. It’s so weird that’s suddenly a “future update”.

Maybe it was just fans that were making a big deal about the ray-tracing and I’m conflating the two, though :p 

52 minutes ago, JPDunks4 said:

I literally only care about the campaign, so im fine with it, but it does seem like a strange choice after 5 years. Guess MS wants a halo at launch no matter what.

I really feel like this would be delayed if it wasn't their premier launch title. It's still Halo and I imagine it will sell well, but I think it would do them long term damage if they ship an incomplete or otherwise poor game, especially if the intent is to build on it for a decade.

At least they're not actually over-promising, since it seems like they've hardly said anything about a major title that is coming out this year.

I'm all for the ever evolving title.  I just am not sure what this games format is.  Is it an RPG lite, where you have some skills or items to collect and upgrade.  Is there any inventory system.  Exploring a huge open world is fun, when there are rewards for that exploration.  Upgrade shields, health, mobility, guns, and other things.

BoTW kept it fairly simple, you could find the Temples to get more Health or Stamina?  Then had the seeds to upgrade inventory space.  All were worthwhile to keep exploring.

I hope they have something similar here.  I can't imagine an open world game without the ability to upgrade abilities and have some form of progression system.  The demo didn't really show anything of that sort though.

6 minutes ago, JPDunks4 said:

I'm all for the ever evolving title.  I just am not sure what this games format is.  Is it an RPG lite, where you have some skills or items to collect and upgrade.  Is there any inventory system.  Exploring a huge open world is fun, when there are rewards for that exploration.  Upgrade shields, health, mobility, guns, and other things.

BoTW kept it fairly simple, you could find the Temples to get more Health or Stamina?  Then had the seeds to upgrade inventory space.  All were worthwhile to keep exploring.

I hope they have something similar here.  I can't imagine an open world game without the ability to upgrade abilities and have some form of progression system.  The demo didn't really show anything of that sort though.

In the demo when they pull up the map, there's a tab in the top left that says "upgrades," so I imagine there will be some sort of progression system, though it's hard to imagine exactly how it fits in with Halo.

I've been replaying a bunch of the old AC games, and I have to say that a "progression" system that doesn't feel like progress is often worse than not having one at all. If you structure your game around getting better stuff, but that better stuff doesn't really matter (like basically all the gear in AC 4, Rogue, Unity) it's hard to care much about earning money or getting that next upgrade.

It's a hard balance to find. I'm just hoping that this is the kind of stuff they've nailed after all these years, even if the graphics aren't up to par.

2 minutes ago, TwinIon said:

In the demo when they pull up the map, there's a tab in the top left that says "upgrades," so I imagine there will be some sort of progression system, though it's hard to imagine exactly how it fits in with Halo.

I've been replaying a bunch of the old AC games, and I have to say that a "progression" system that doesn't feel like progress is often worse than not having one at all. If you structure your game around getting better stuff, but that better stuff doesn't really matter (like basically all the gear in AC 4, Rogue, Unity) it's hard to care much about earning money or getting that next upgrade.

It's a hard balance to find. I'm just hoping that this is the kind of stuff they've nailed after all these years, even if the graphics aren't up to par.

The Division fell into that trap too. Is this a Ubisoft thing?

1 minute ago, skillzdadirecta said:

The Division fell into that trap too. Is this a Ubisoft thing?

Ubisoft definitely is more guilty than most. Gear progression has just become one of those things that nearly all their games need for some reason. Still, they're not the only ones that have trouble with it. 

I've been playing a lot of Destiny 2  lately, and I'd argue they have a similar problem. Even while you're leveling, everything auto-scales, so the vast majority of new stuff feels pointless. There are guns and armor that feel special, but there's precious little "progress" beyond watching a number go up until you're high enough to do certain content.

My thoughts - they have had a long time, but they were still forced to show this too early.  I am betting once they get ray-tracing going on this game it looks much better.  But they put it out there so they are going to get hammered for what they showed.  If they are planning on ray tracing then they are pretty much showing their game without their final lighting finished.  Weird.  

As for for the "Upgrade" tab.  I'm sure I'm wrong about this - but what if those were upgrades for your ship (that crash landed at the beginning).  If this game is supposed to go forever (or 10 years) then maybe as there is new DLC you get upgrades to your ship that allow access to different parts of the Halo you are on, or even to travel to new worlds eventually.  That would keep it from upgrading MC too much and making it not feel like Halo anymore.

5 hours ago, crispy4000 said:

That’s wild if true.  I get launch games being half-baked.  But doing it with Halo after 5 years of development, there would have to be a story there.

If it’s true, the story there is probably along the lines of the game being started over more than once to service different visions And themes for the title.

3 hours ago, number305 said:

My thoughts - they have had a long time, but they were still forced to show this too early.  I am betting once they get ray-tracing going on this game it looks much better.  But they put it out there so they are going to get hammered for what they showed.  If they are planning on ray tracing then they are pretty much showing their game without their final lighting finished.  Weird.  

I think that's possibly true for when the game is running on "ultra," but this is also going to run on the Xbox One and lower end PCs, so they must have a lighting system that isn't ray tracing. What they showed didn't even seem particularly up to Xbox One quality. Certainly it's not on par with Gears 5. I think you're right they rushed it, but it kinda begs the question as to why even bother at this point. Make Halo it's own freaking event in a couple months. I suppose that's just bureaucracy in action.

3 hours ago, number305 said:

As for for the "Upgrade" tab.  I'm sure I'm wrong about this - but what if those were upgrades for your ship (that crash landed at the beginning).  If this game is supposed to go forever (or 10 years) then maybe as there is new DLC you get upgrades to your ship that allow access to different parts of the Halo you are on, or even to travel to new worlds eventually.  That would keep it from upgrading MC too much and making it not feel like Halo anymore.

I think the idea of upgrading something other than MC is plausible. If this is a "stranded on a desert island" kinda situation, gun mods, your ship, a personal warthog, or even a home base of sorts all seem like decent upgrade candidates that don't have us upgrading our hats and shoes and what not.

So, I kept watching the trailer. And it seems it’s a little bit of both, the game is not polished yet (lots of pop-in from the grass, to the clouds far into the distance... hell, even in the trailer the textures/models didn’t load properly when he falls in the ship... no idea how they missed that and left it in the game.) and also... the game has a massive open world, it’s 60fps 4k... and it also has 4 player co-op? That’s got to take a hit on the graphics, specially if it also has 4 player couch co-op.

the game is just trying to be too many things at once. What MS should have done is have another linear game at launch to show off the graphics and the power for the next gen system.

38 minutes ago, Rick2101 said:

So, I kept watching the trailer. And it seems it’s a little bit of both, the game is not polished yet (lots of pop-in from the grass, to the clouds far into the distance... hell, even in the trailer the textures/models didn’t load properly when he falls in the ship... no idea how they missed that and left it in the game.) and also... the game has a massive open world, it’s 60fps 4k... and it also has 4 player co-op? That’s got to take a hit on the graphics, specially if it also has 4 player couch co-op.

the game is just trying to be too many things at once. What MS should have done is have another linear game at launch to show off the graphics and the power for the next gen system.

I would assume that couch co-op will take a hit like previous entries in the series. Reduced resolution and probably frame rate as well.

Graphics aside, the gameplay just didn't look that great to me. It's Halo, I guess I shouldn't expect something too drastically different. The run and gun action looks like the exact same thing as the last 5 and some odd games. Doesn't seem to have evolved much. Maybe I've played too much Titanfall 2 and Apex Legends. Those games have a decent grappling hook at least. Master Chief's grappling hook looked about as fast as a pull string. 

14 minutes ago, DarkStar189 said:

Maybe I've played too much Titanfall 2 and Apex Legends. Those games have a decent grappling hook at least. Master Chief's grappling hook looked about as fast as a pull string. 

Perhaps the final game will be sped up. It looked like whoever was "playing" was going deliberately slow, or maybe the gameplay was slowed down after the fact.

3 hours ago, TwinIon said:

I think that's possibly true for when the game is running on "ultra," but this is also going to run on the Xbox One and lower end PCs, so they must have a lighting system that isn't ray tracing.

I don’t think we can expect many open world games next gen to have raytracing based lighting solutions that would supplant traditional techniques.  I think it’s far more likely that Halo will opt for something to do with reflections and/or shadows.

Curious to see what DF says, but from their reaction vid, it sounds like they’ll be saying they could do more with the lighting regardless.