Halo Infinite - Information Thread, update (01/15/24): Certain Affinity's battle royale project reportedly cancelled, UE5-based campaign project in development since 2022

JPDunks4

Regarding haze/blur: On a world that is ring shaped would you even have that effect looking in the distance? Honestly asking because I don't know. Seems like light filling in a U-shape would have a different look than a sphere.

But more importantly: why the demand for photo-realism in a universe that has (mostly) thrown that out the door in favor of shiny and bright everything?

33 minutes ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

Regarding haze/blur: On a world that is ring shaped would you even have that effect looking in the distance? Honestly asking because I don't know. Seems like light filling in a U-shape would have a different look than a sphere.

But more importantly: why the demand for photo-realism in a universe that has (mostly) thrown that out the door in favor of shiny and bright everything?

I mean we've been shooting muppets in this series for the last 20 years and people expect The Last of Us 2 all of sudden... :shrug:

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

I thought part of the pitch for Infinite was a to return to slightly more organic landscapes?  It’s implicit in the key art, the initial E3 trailer, etc.  Not that strict photorealism is the goal either.  It’s still Halo, and that’s a good thing.

5 hours ago, crispy4000 said:

I thought part of the pitch for Infinite was a to return to slightly more organic landscapes?  It’s implicit in the key art, the initial E3 trailer, etc.  Not that strict photorealism is the goal either.  It’s still Halo, and that’s a good thing.

The landscape is just so so jarring. There is no cohesion or reason. It looks like a bunch of landscape pieces rammed together and places that they don’t line up they put those stupid bland hexagon pillars around it. I have no idea how anyone could look at this and be like “yeah beautiful” 

EDIT: Halo isn't about photo-realistic imagery, but they still have captivating landscapes

Look at the level Halo, Silent Cartographer, Uprising, High Charity, Delta Halo, Sierra 117.

20 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

But the screenshot does have a haze to it, just closer to what real life haze would look like

spacer.png

spacer.png

20 hours ago, crispy4000 said:

Just using the natural world as a reference, I'd agree with @Duderino that it should probably have more of it than Halo does now. 

hiker-in-valleywebrbkze.jpg

Most games are actually pretty good about this, I think.  It's more the visible layers of fog, mist and clouds that can feel like shortcuts to me.  Although they have an aesthetic role too.

Your real world needs more RAM and a better GPU. 

19 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

As I originally stated, that depends on sea level:

aerial-shot-bird-s-eye-view-buildings-ci

That’s more like it. 

19 hours ago, Duderino said:

Halo Infinite has the color shift, but the other atmospheric properties are not well represented.  This leads to a less natural and more artificial look.

Halo rings aren’t naturally occurring. They are artificial. So mission accomplished, 343 

2 hours ago, JPDunks4 said:

People can make fun of the damn Brute all you want, but Halo Music is still some of the best in video games, and so far they don't seem to be letting that slip.

Halo Waypoint interview with composer Gareth Coker

Last week we shared the first look at Halo Infinite’s Campaign (check it out in 4K HERE) which included gameplay on our new open and expansive ring and plenty of Grappleshot and high-flying-Grunt shenanigans. The demo also featured some brand new music created by another new composer on the project, Gareth Coker. We’re beyond excited to have Gareth on board and sent a few interview questions his way to help gather a bit more background about the latest member to join the Halo musical family.

Coker is the composer of the absolutely fantastic scores for the "Ori" series.

I saw a video of a guy reading what it seemed to be Glassdoor reviews on 343i. And... they all seemed to complain about the same things. Poor management, heavy use of contractors that don’t stay in projects long enough, and a fair amount of toxicity. 

so it very well be true.

I didn't want to double post so here is a new post by 343i

https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/news/infinite-inquiries

5 hours ago, JPDunks4 said:

Not sure if real, but this has been rumored for awhile.  Removal of Xbox Live Gold for Multiplayer and F2P Halo Multiplayer.

I feel like XBLG is a cash cow. Maybe not removing it, but pushing people more towards XGP like with how they got rid of the 12 month sub for Gold.

Double EDIT: Apparently some "insiders" are confirming that it is indeed F2P and it will have a battlepass.

8 minutes ago, Emperor Diocletian II said:

As I'm somewhat out of the Halo lore loop, while I know who the Banished are, what is their overall objective?  

As far as I can tell, their only motivation is to fight everyone else?

I haven't played Halo Wars 2 yet, but I think it's explained there.  I don't know any of the Halo story through books though so not sure if there was more in there.

I mean, as annoying as it is, Halo novels have always been a part of Halo's lifeblood. There were aspects of Halo 1 and a lot of aspects of Halo 2 that aren't filled out/don't make sense unless you read Eric Nylund's Halo: The Fall of Reach (to understand Halo 1 better) and Eric Nylund's Halo: First Strike, which really helps fill out Halo 2. Halo 3 and particularly Halo: Reach are made even better if you've read those two books as well as Eric Nylund's Halo: Ghosts of Onyx , Joseph Staten's Halo: Contact Harvest, and Tobias Buckell's Halo: The Cole Protocol. Halo Wars 1 also makes more sense if you've read Contact Harvest 

Hell, even the graphic novels/comic book series have always been important. To understand what happens between Halo 2 and Halo 3 better, you should read Brian Michael Bendis' Halo: Uprising. And if you want to understand Halo 3: ODST better, one should read Peter David's Halo: Helljumper. Halo Wars 1 additionally benefits from reading Brian Michael Bendis' Halo Wars: Genesis. And this is all under Bungie and Microsoft, before Microsoft and 343i took over the brand in 2010/2011 and that's when shit exploded in terms of novels, etc. But yeah, it's always been integral from the start. 

Again, that's if you cared about Halo's story, characters, backstory, and mythology in the first place. Which, I do, as a sci-fi and space opera fan, even though Halo has gone off the rails since Halo 4 in my opinion in terms of story. But I've always hated cross-media stuff. It should fill in small gaps and broaden the universe, not be necessary to understand the bigger picture of the main Halo trilogy story you're trying to tell (and then ODST and Reach). My suggestion? Read the Halopedia wiki recap summaries at this point and play the games as they each fit into the chronology. :p 

2 minutes ago, PaladinSolo said:

As someone who read like all of them up to the end of the Forerunner trilogy, the books weren't required till Halo 4, which even if you had read the forerunner trilogy which was a slog to read through, was still confusing at times, lol.

I think it got worse with Halo 4 onwards, but I feel (having just played through Halo 1 and Halo 2 Anniversary) that you absolutely need to know the books (at least the aforementioned ones in my previous post). They aren't required to enjoy those games of course (I didn't read the books, just played the games when they came out and yeah, I was confused), but if you just go from Halo 1 and where it ends right into Halo 2 without knowing anything about Halo: First Strike, a lot doesn't make sense given where Halo 1 ended. That's just as a for instance. This is even more apparent if you go right into Halo 3 from Halo 2 as well. At least it still felt that way to me when I did it recently (I went back and that's how I know about these books now in the first place). :p 

5 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

I mean, as annoying as it is, Halo novels have always been a part of Halo's lifeblood. There were aspects of Halo 1 and a lot of aspects of Halo 2 that aren't filled out/don't make sense unless you read Eric Nylund's Halo: The Fall of Reach (to understand Halo 1 better) and Eric Nylund's Halo: First Strike, which really helps fill out Halo 2. Halo 3 and particularly Halo: Reach are made even better if you've read those two books as well as Eric Nylund's Halo: Ghosts of Onyx , Joseph Staten's Halo: Contact Harvest, and Tobias Buckell's Halo: The Cole Protocol. Halo Wars 1 also makes more sense if you've read Contact Harvest 

Hell, even the graphic novels/comic book series have always been important. To understand what happens between Halo 2 and Halo 3 better, you should read Brian Michael Bendis' Halo: Uprising. And if you want to understand Halo 3: ODST better, one should read Peter David's Halo: Helljumper. Halo Wars 1 additionally benefits from reading Brian Michael Bendis' Halo Wars: Genesis. And this is all under Bungie and Microsoft, before Microsoft and 343i took over the brand in 2010/2011 and that's when shit exploded in terms of novels, etc. But yeah, it's always been integral from the start. 

Again, that's if you cared about Halo's story, characters, backstory, and mythology in the first place. Which, I do, as a sci-fi and space opera fan, even though Halo has gone off the rails since Halo 4 in my opinion in terms of story. But I've always hated cross-media stuff. It should fill in small gaps and broaden the universe, not be necessary to understand the bigger picture of the main Halo trilogy story you're trying to tell (and then ODST and Reach). My suggestion? Read the Halopedia wiki recap summaries at this point and play the games as they each fit into the chronology. :p 

I think at a surface level the Halo games tell enough of the story for it to be enjoyable and understandable to a point. The books just add a lot of context, backstories, lore, etc. Like how the original trilogy doesn't even tell you why the Covenant views humanity as heretical and an affront to their religion. I think Contact Harvest is the book that explores this a bit deeper?

3 hours ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

I've read 5 of the Halo books. The Fall of Reach was my favorite. I really enjoyed the whole dehumanizing process of the Spartans. I love that shit in sci-fi stories. Of the five I've read it's the only one I really remember. I don't remember hating any of the others I read though.

I've never actually read a Halo novel outside of Crytpum and Primordium. Where Cryptum is a joy learning about Forerunner society, Primordium is just a 400 page slog to read through. I was so burned out about halfway through.

The polygon video is interesting though in that he enjoyed the Karen Traviss novels. Those aren't super well liked in the Halo community, at least from what I know.

20 minutes ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

“Free-to-play and support 120 FPS on Xbox Series X”

does that mean it won’t be free to play on Xbox One/S/X?

I'm going to guess that its "free to play" and "120 FPS on XSX". Not one in the same.

2 hours ago, Nokt said:

I think at a surface level the Halo games tell enough of the story for it to be enjoyable and understandable to a point. The books just add a lot of context, backstories, lore, etc. Like how the original trilogy doesn't even tell you why the Covenant views humanity as heretical and an affront to their religion. I think Contact Harvest is the book that explores this a bit deeper?

Yep, it does go a bit deeper. It helps, is all I'm saying. :)

11 hours ago, TwinIon said:

This video was amazing.

I'm actually surprised to hear that out of 31 books he did find some that were good. I shall continue on my plan to not ever read any of these books.

After watching that, I decided to check out the first novel in the Karen Traviss trilogy he highlighted. I don’t necessarily care about expanding my understanding of this universe, but a well-written sci-fi story in a world I already kinda know sounds good right now.

What free-to-play model do people actually like that you hope 343 emulates?

There are only two marginally free to play games I have much experience with: Hearthstone and Destiny 2. Neither is exactly a great model for Halo. Hearthstone for obvious reasons, and they've specifically mentioned they're not following the Destiny model, so that's out as well.

Personally, I prefer to pay for content in chunks, since I tend to play games that way. There are very few that I've played continuously over long periods of time, though that seems to be the exact kind of thing they (and everyone else) are looking for. Hopefully the battle pass is mostly cosmetics, though I'm not sure I see myself playing a ton of multiplayer anyways.

1 hour ago, TwinIon said:

What free-to-play model do people actually like that you hope 343 emulates?

There are only two marginally free to play games I have much experience with: Hearthstone and Destiny 2. Neither is exactly a great model for Halo. Hearthstone for obvious reasons, and they've specifically mentioned they're not following the Destiny model, so that's out as well.

Personally, I prefer to pay for content in chunks, since I tend to play games that way. There are very few that I've played continuously over long periods of time, though that seems to be the exact kind of thing they (and everyone else) are looking for. Hopefully the battle pass is mostly cosmetics, though I'm not sure I see myself playing a ton of multiplayer anyways.

Apex, Call of Duty, Crossfire X, Fortnite, Warframe. Just to name a few. Plenty of ways to make Halo Free to play and profitable.

21 minutes ago, The def star said:

Apex, Call of Duty, Crossfire X, Fortnite, Warframe. Just to name a few. Plenty of ways to make Halo Free to play and profitable.

I know there are a lot of models that could make them profitable, I'm curious which models people like and why. As I said, I haven't played many F2P games, so I don't have many points of comparison.

Are all those games the same, or are there some that have better F2P models that you like better?