Halo Infinite - Information Thread, update (01/15/24): Certain Affinity's battle royale project reportedly cancelled, UE5-based campaign project in development since 2022

JPDunks4

1 hour ago, crispy4000 said:

Not just with Halo, but the question of when their other games will release.

It’s like... yes, PC games scale to old hardware. However, there’s a limit to that scaling called “minimum requirements”. Furthermore, I don’t think people saying that “PC games scale!” line realize the experience of playing a game on said minimum requirements. Lastly, launch Xbone had the PC equivalent of, what, a GTX 750/R360? How many graphically demanding PC games released just this year had those within the minimum specs, how many exceeded those GPUs? 

Yes, I know that it’s not a 1:1 comparison as devs can squeeze more out of a closed platform which is why those games with requirements “beyond” those GPUs still run on a launch Xbone. However, look at how they’re running... and we’re still on this gen - people are wanting next gen games to be able to scale back a ridiculous amount and still “look” next gen, and that’s asking for a lot, IMO. Seems like devs basically have to build a version around the OG Xbone and grow it from there, wasting a lot of resources in the process... because if you build the game for next gen and then try to scale it down, well, this example apparently has a risk of happening.

:shrug: 

I have been watching a lot of the Halo VidDocs from Halo 2 and Halo 3 and Jason was a major part of the vision for those games. Glad to see that he's on board with Infinite. TBH I would want 343 to take their time to get this right. Been playing a lot of MCC and with all the updates and improvements they made to MCC it's almost a masterpiece of a collection. They have added challenges and unlocks that keep making me come back. The online is active as it has never taken me more than a minute to find a game for the many game modes. As much flack as Halo 5 has gotten for the SP the MP is as great as a Halo game can be. I think the biggest complaint that they received about MP is that they added a lot  new mechanics to the Halo formula that competitively make it a better game but it doesn't quite have the Halo feel that most grew up with. This video explains how sprint was something that was a major issue for the community and in a way still is but looks like 343 is trying to find the sweet spot.

Man  yall really playing dumb on this one.  NO FUCKING WAY THEY DROP SUPPORT FOR THE Xbox s.    Halo Started out development on the S for what 3 years?  they will not abandon it. So what the game runs a 900p  Alot of xbox games ran at 900p.  Switching to the SlipStream engine was a MAJOR mistake.  Also I'm not a fan of 343 they havent made a great halo since taking it over.  WARZONE was great  but 343 has been a BIG Problem

• 1 month later...
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Halo Infinite - Information Thread, update: Halo Infinite director/343i executive Chris Lee has departed the project

I'm no expert when it comes to software development, and I can't imagine how difficult it is to navigate the balancing act of developing AAA games.  That said, it's hard for me to understand how after two games' worth of experience, a blank check, and five years of development time for the flagship brand, you aren't able to absolutely nail it.  What is the reason for all of this turbulence?  Was the scope too large?  Were ideas shifting too much?  Is it purely technology?  Is the talent and vision not there?  It's going to be interesting to read the postmortem for this in a few years.

1 hour ago, ShreddieMercuryRising said:

I'm no expert when it comes to software development, and I can't imagine how difficult it is to navigate the balancing act of developing AAA games.  That said, it's hard for me to understand how after two games' worth of experience, a blank check, and five years of development time for the flagship brand, you aren't able to absolutely nail it.  What is the reason for all of this turbulence?  Was the scope too large?  Were ideas shifting too much?  Is it purely technology?  Is the talent and vision not there?  It's going to be interesting to read the postmortem for this in a few years.

Lots of rumors but some say they started on Unreal 4, then decided to make a new engine halfway through and made Slipspace.  This also while developing for the constantly changing next gen specs.  Also add changing up story direction due to poor reception of Halo 5 story.  

It'll be interesting to see how it all pans out.

• 1 month later...
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Halo Infinite - Information Thread, update: Fall 2021 "launch window" announced
  • 2 months later...
hi_campaign_tower_light_1120x630-d06f5c5
WWW.HALOWAYPOINT.COM

In our latest installment of Inside Infinite we talk with members of the Halo Infinite team about the work they're doing to bring Zeta Halo to life and share some updated looks at the progress that's been made since last year's campaign demo.

Hidden Audio

https://content.halocdn.com/media/Default/community/blogs/halsey_journal_01-1cb7b58224cb4761bca2b9fd990634cc.wav

hi_campaign_warthog_4k-b68408218db34ea49

hi_campaign_sniper_4k-e327d439d8714ed481

hi_campaign_banshees_4k-961dc50a635049e2

hi_campaign_tower_cycle_4k-3637f9cabc964

Looks improved and much more acceptable.  I liked that it's artstyle was trying to be a bit more classic, just thought the execution last year was lacking.

I just wish we saw more of the tone and variety of the 2018 trailer.  Even if we won't be getting its visuals exactly.

Hard to believe that's almost 3 years old now.

• 4 weeks later...