Halo Infinite - Information Thread, update (01/15/24): Certain Affinity's battle royale project reportedly cancelled, UE5-based campaign project in development since 2022

JPDunks4

13 minutes ago, SoberChef said:

I echo the sentiment of so many others in agreement with the fact that the console launches should just wait until next year. I know financially it isn't feasible but it just reeks of bad taste & poor judgement in light of the ongoing global bastard. There aren't even any real "killer apps" for either console at launch this year.

Spider-Man was certainly a killer app, and sold a ton of PS4’s. It’s likely to sell gangbusters at launcv. Halo would have made for a crazy big launch. 
If they wait, thats fine, but there is nothing disrespectful or in bad taste about releasing hardware. 

13 hours ago, SoberChef said:

I echo the sentiment of so many others in agreement with the fact that the console launches should just wait until next year. I know financially it isn't feasible but it just reeks of bad taste & poor judgement in light of the ongoing global bastard. There aren't even any real "killer apps" for either console at launch this year.

Disagree with this 100%. Giving people the choice to buy something new is in no way “bad taste and poor judgement” that makes zero sense. With that rationale then the entire world should just sit on their hands staring at the wall until the pandemic is over. Hell just look at the absolute surge in hardware sales since the pandemic began. If anything that points to it being the perfect time to release a console. 

And the killer app argument is “meh” at best. How many truly killer apps have released at launch? No Knack 2 or Ryse this year so better delay it. No Killzone or Kameo so shut it all down. 

Phil Spencer: Microsoft (briefly) considered splitting Halo Infinite into different pieces before delaying it

Interestingly, Spencer, along with studio leadership considered splitting the game into separate parts that would each ship individually at different dates, but ultimately didn’t go with the option after 24 hours of deliberations.

“It just didn’t feel, to all of us, like the Halo release that we would want,” he said.

On 8/12/2020 at 6:47 AM, Mercury33 said:

And the killer app argument is “meh” at best. How many truly killer apps have released at launch?  No Knack 2 or Ryse this year so better delay it. No Killzone or Kameo so shut it all down. 

The biggest reason why Microsoft was able to secure its position in the video game market was a killer app.  Just like Tetris codified Nintendo’s spot in the portable space, and Breath of the Wild single handedly brought them out of their Wii U funk.  

The only reason you think killer apps aren’t important at launch is because by and large, we’ve stopped seeing them.  I would never claim it should be cause for a delay, as there’s always opportunities to build the library later.  But having a killer app when your competitors don’t is a huge advantage out of the gate.

Microsoft’s heart was in the right place positioning Halo Infinite at launch.

8 hours ago, crispy4000 said:

The biggest reason why Microsoft was able to secure its position in the video game market was a killer app.  Just like Tetris codified Nintendo’s spot in the portable space, and Breath of the Wild single handedly brought them out of their Wii U funk.  

The only reason you think killer apps aren’t important at launch is because by and large, we’ve stopped seeing them.  I would never claim it should be cause for a delay, as there’s always opportunities to build the library later.  But having a killer app when your competitors don’t is a huge advantage out of the gate.

Microsoft’s heart was in the right place positioning Halo Infinite at launch.

Ok. That’s not what I was saying at all but yah, having a once in a generation killer app would obviously give you a leg up on your competition at launch. 

The original article from Thurrot - "A Closer Look at Halo Infinite’s Turbulent Journey"

Multiple people familiar with the development efforts behind 343 have described the collaborative effort behind the development as challenging and significant disagreements internally have become public with Tim Longo, creative director for Halo Infinite, leaving the company in August of 2019.

Halo Waypoint interview with composer Joel Corelitz

To realize our ambitious vision for Halo Infinite, 343 Industries music supervisor Joel Yarger has assembled a trio of talented composers to develop stirring, emotional melodies that blend their unique styles with nearly twenty years of iconic motifs. Today we're ecstatic to introduce you to our third, and final, composer helping to bring the music of Halo Infinite to life - Joel Corelitz! "Joel C," not to be confused with "Joel Y," joins our two other composers Gareth Coker and Curtis Schweitzer for a Halo Infinite musical trifecta. 

Enjoy this exclusive track by Joel Corelitz, "Through the Trees," while you get to know a bit more about him and his process.

22 minutes ago, XxEvil AshxX said:

New Strategy: Release the Xbox One version running in Potato Mode so that everyone will be like 'fuck this' and just get a Series X.

I mean, it's the old strategy of bringing along a wingman that's uglier than you.. and not just a little bit uglier either.

Other games are proving that point.  DF tore into the Avengers One S beta looking smeary as if it was a Switch AAA port.

26 minutes ago, JPDunks4 said:

Just require online and make it playable on old hardware only through xCloud.

Technically kept ur promise.

That’d reinforce the same sort of problem but for input lag.

I think they should just try to make the best looking 720p locked version of it that they can.  Resign to that if needs be.

https://teambeyond.net/forum/topic/17952-classic-halo-esports-and-hcs-grassroots-2020-discussion-thread/?do=findComment&comment=1079957

Okay.

In 2017 I was told a decent, but vague, amount of information about the next Halo game, except for its name. I was told that Campaign was going to be semi-open world, similar to Destiny, and would be set on a very important Halo ring, the one teased on Halo 5 Guardians' Legendary ending. I was told Forge was going to be very awesome, a larger step forward than H2A to Halo 5. I was told Multiplayer had, and I quote, "Some cool old shit, some cool new shit, but some really stupid shit." Two remakes were in the works.

The HCS test Playlist back in 2017, which had a tweaked BR and Gunfighter, was actually a testing bed for Infinite's starting weapons at the time. They were going to have Infinite be another Halo 5, save for the removal of Spartan Charge and Ground Pound. Needless to say, we know now that Infinite has Sprint, Slide, and Clamber, with Armor Augments (Armor Abilities with limited fuel) as pickups alongside Power-Ups and Power Weapons.

But, this was when the game was still being developed on Unreal Engine 4. The following info was fed to me over the years.

The game was redeveloped through a heavily modified Blam Engine, and hell came with it. Several months of different iterations of Multiplayer and Campaign, art design, level design, weapon sandbox, Utility Weapon starts, advanced movement vs classic, all that has been argued back and forth for the last three years. Eventually they came to what we know now, but didn't spend enough time fully developing the rest of the game. They were going to launch the game with very little content again, until the Campaign demo reveal backlash. The rumor of them making the game into two parts was untrue when it was given, but is now a reality; they never intended Multiplayer to be free.

The Commando Rifle was one of the utility weapon tests. The Mangler was going to be a near copycat of the CE Magnum. There was at one time a wall kick. Mythic unintentionally copied what 343 had tried nearly a year earlier. No idea where Forge's state is.

There you go.

2 minutes ago, number305 said:

Microsoft is over thinking. Just drop support for the old version. Issue an apology. It isn't like they lied, they tried like hell and it obviously didn't work out. People will move on, and those who can't upgrade can play it streaming. 

MS promising cross-gen for 2-years or however long on all first party games was really silly, and it is seemingly already biting them in the ass.