Halo Infinite - Information Thread, update (01/15/24): Certain Affinity's battle royale project reportedly cancelled, UE5-based campaign project in development since 2022

JPDunks4

That’s a lot of high scores with praises to the launch for a title that after two phases of release still isn’t as feature complete as any previous Halo title. And won’t be for another 6 months. I really don’t get why so many people are seem so eager to give 343 a pass that no other developer would get and 343 hasn’t even earned with the body of their work. 

59 minutes ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

That’s a lot of high scores with praises to the launch for a title that after two phases of release still isn’t as feature complete as any previous Halo title. And won’t be for another 6 months. I really don’t get why so many people are seem so eager to give 343 a pass that no other developer would get and 343 hasn’t even earned with the body of their work. 

You have to compare it to other games releasing.  It may not be as feature rich as previous Halo titles, but it's more feature rich than the majority of other titles dropping.  If you are gonna knock Halo for not launching with co-op and Forge, then it'd only be fair to knock every other release if they don't launch with co-op multiplayer and a customizable map/level editor as well.

In my opinion of course.  Don't think it's fair to hold certain games up to higher standards than others.  Need to judge them on an even scale if you want reviews to mean much.

57 minutes ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

Because the multiplayer is the best the series has had in a long time, if ever? Also there was a pandemic that impacted development as well. What I've played of the game points to it being damn good and I don't play the Halos for multiplayer.

6 minutes ago, JPDunks4 said:

You have to compare it to other games releasing.  It may not be as feature rich as previous Halo titles, but it's more feature rich than the majority of other titles dropping.  If you are gonna knock Halo for not launching with co-op and Forge, then it'd only be fair to knock every other release if they don't launch with co-op multiplayer and a customizable map/level editor as well.

In my opinion of course.  Don't think it's fair to hold certain games up to higher standards than others.  Need to judge them on an even scale if you want reviews to mean much.

Eh not really. I wouldn’t judge a game in a franchise that never had coop for not having coop. But coop has been a staple if not a pillar of Halo games since game one, day one.  It would be like COD releasing the campaign first and not having multiplayer for six months. And Forge has been a staple for the franchise for over a decade as well. 

and it’s not like Coop was never going to be in Halo Infinite. They just couldn’t get it done in time. Which is my issue. 

I can accept that what is currently released is good. But the game is still incomplete. But maybe so are the reviews. Maybe they’re all “reviews in progress”. But I doubt more than a couple will re-review Halo in May if and when the game is finally complete. 

4 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

The game not having features you want says nothing of whether or not the product they actually released is good. 

It’s not even about features I want. It’s features the game was always going to have that they haven’t finished yet. The game is admittedly incomplete. Otherwise they wouldn’t have said the coop forge was delayed. 

7 minutes ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

It’s not even about features I want. It’s features the game was always going to have that they haven’t finished yet. The game is admittedly incomplete. Otherwise they wouldn’t have said the coop forge was delayed. 

Well if people keep bitching like this they'll never find a co-op partner when the co-op does drop because their complaining is so insufferable!

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

They aren’t missing features like the ability to jump. It is missing additional game modes that they plan to have. If they had never planned to have them, you would have what they are shipping. The only thing you can base a review off of is what they actually released. And the reviews largely agree that they game they released is very good.

But we have to complain about something

1 minute ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Oh Wednesday? I thought it was tomorrow for some reason.

Ya I thought it would be tomorrow at 9pm because midnight pacific is how it’s often done for big releases, but then again this is also weirdly on a Wednesday.

1 hour ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

Eh not really. I wouldn’t judge a game in a franchise that never had coop for not having coop. But coop has been a staple if not a pillar of Halo games since game one, day one.  It would be like COD releasing the campaign first and not having multiplayer for six months. And Forge has been a staple for the franchise for over a decade as well. 

and it’s not like Coop was never going to be in Halo Infinite. They just couldn’t get it done in time. Which is my issue. 

I can accept that what is currently released is good. But the game is still incomplete. But maybe so are the reviews. Maybe they’re all “reviews in progress”. But I doubt more than a couple will re-review Halo in May if and when the game is finally complete. 

I just think it's holding some games to higher standards, which ultimately makes things seem somewhat unfair if you are trying to make review scores more relevant.  If anything, Halo should always be given bonus points for having previously always had such a full suite of modes, features, ect.  

Like Black Ops 4 had no campaign and reviewed better than every CoD that has released since.

I haven't read many of the reviews, but are these reviews basically entirely for the Campaign, or are they summarizing both the campaign and multiplayer experience.

1 hour ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

I think you could cut some slack to it for the single player being closer to an open world affair.  That takes a lot more time and resources to build, on top of the additional effort it'd take to optimize it for split-screen/online co-op.  There's also the new engine they built for this game...

Of course they've also had 6 years.  But with what we saw last year, I'd assume not everything was smooth.

2 hours ago, JPDunks4 said:

It may not be as feature rich as previous Halo titles, but it's more feature rich than the majority of other titles dropping.

Now that you mention it, what other features is Halo Infinite getting this week? I’ve been trying to find what else we’re getting besides the campaign, like firefight or Spartan ops, and I can’t find anyone talking about other modes and features. 

or is it just campaign this week with more to come in later weeks/months? 

3 hours ago, sblfilms said:

They aren’t missing features like the ability to jump. It is missing additional game modes that they plan to have. If they had never planned to have them, you would have what they are shipping. The only thing you can base a review off of is what they actually released. And the reviews largely agree that they game they released is very good.

But we have to complain about something

And games always do this. I mean half the fun of Halo MP is inventing new game types yourself in the custom games mode. Not having a certain game mode is such a non-issue. The staples are there.

28 minutes ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

do you think it’s people just trying to AFK farm game completion XP? Do they make it to the end of the match, or does it appear they leave/get booted before that?

Don't see how that is a possibility because to progress the BattlePass you need to complete specific challenges like "kill 5 jabronis with the mauler" to get XP.

13 minutes ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

Don't see how that is a possibility because to progress the BattlePass you need to complete specific challenges like "kill 5 jabronis with the mauler" to get XP.

they updated it so you get a daily challenge of match completion. It starts at 300xp and works it’s way down after each match to eventually just give 50XP after 6 matches each day. 

• Thanks 1