Halo Infinite - Information Thread, update (01/15/24): Certain Affinity's battle royale project reportedly cancelled, UE5-based campaign project in development since 2022

JPDunks4

Really debating diving in & purchasing the Battle Pass for this. After having looked up that one previous post about controller setup & sensitivity, felt more responsive a few games I played earlier today so I'm getting back into the groove of it.

I'm curious, with the FOV setting, I have mine at 120 degrees, what about everyone else? I merely went that route because of the FOV being the same as it is in Destiny 2 since they brought in that same feature.

3 hours ago, SoberChef said:

Really debating diving in & purchasing the Battle Pass for this. After having looked up that one previous post about controller setup & sensitivity, felt more responsive a few games I played earlier today so I'm getting back into the groove of it.

I'm curious, with the FOV setting, I have mine at 120 degrees, what about everyone else? I merely went that route because of the FOV being the same as it is in Destiny 2 since they brought in that same feature.

Halo is all about tracking. At 120 enemies are just way too small at a distance. I lowered mine down to about 95-100.

From a moral standpoint, I wouldn't buy it. Melee is broken, horrible battlepass xp, horrible customization, theater is an absolute mess, low playlists, low game modes, low amount of maps, missing forge. We waited 6 years for an early access game from a AAA studio. Fuck that. Seasons never go away you can buy it later and still get the same items.

On the other do whatever makes you happy. If you want some of the colors and skins go for it.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Nokt said:

Halo is all about tracking. At 120 enemies are just way too small at a distance. I lowered mine down to about 95-100.

From a moral standpoint, I wouldn't buy it. Melee is broken, horrible battlepass xp, horrible customization, theater is an absolute mess, low playlists, low game modes, low amount of maps, missing forge. We waited 6 years for an early access game from a AAA studio. Fuck that. Seasons never go away you can buy it later and still get the same items.

On the other do whatever makes you happy. If you want some of the colors and skins go for it.

On the other hand it's like $10. More than fair. Hardly even worth debating about.

(You even save a buck if you have game pass)

6 hours ago, Nokt said:

Lol what a god awful take 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Mercury33 said:

Lol what a god awful take 

Didn’t know we were into supporting games that are missing basic features that have existed since Halo 3 or earlier and have horrible price gouging microtransactions. But you do you.

37 minutes ago, Nokt said:

Didn’t know we were into supporting games that are missing basic features that have existed since Halo 3 or earlier and have horrible price gouging microtransactions. But you do you.

We are still “technically” not playing the full Halo Multiplayer experience with it still being a Beta version. Yeah some things are going to be missing for months (which sucks) but we got a few weeks of play in before the actual game release and it’s fucking free for everyone to play. Who knows what might be patched come next Tuesday

haven't played MP in a week because I know the game will suck me in for hours come next week, and will grind out as much time I can with FH5 until then

8 minutes ago, silentbob said:

We are still “technically” not playing the full Halo Multiplayer experience with it still being a Beta version. Yeah some things are going to be missing for months (which sucks) but we got a few weeks of play in before the actual game release and it’s fucking free for everyone to play. Who knows what might be patched come next Tuesday

haven't played MP in a week because I know the game will suck me in for hours come next week, and will grind out as much time I can with FH5 until then

Season 1 was officially launched when the “beta” dropped. They’ve already confirmed that no new maps or modes are dropping on release day. Forge and co-op already got pushed back.

I’m suppose to overlook all the issues because it’s free? Halo 5 was a fully priced game and suffered the same issues at launch and some of those issues (like theater) never got resolved. Sorry if I don’t think it’s worth supporting the game, yet. 

6 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

if something is free, I think that at least a bit of a pass should be certainly granted!

Not when a simple color reskin costs $10.

Maybe if this was any other franchise, but I’ve invested way too much time into Halo. 343 has had nothing but marred releases with issues that never get resolved. It’s hard to want to support the franchise when you’re continually let down. 

Considering season 1 is already released and the first event in a series, I feel like it is disingenuous to calm this a “beta”. They had their beta a while back. This is, at most Early Access. Closer to when you can play a game 3 days early if you have the ultimate edition. 

yes 343 is making updates based on feedback, but that’s what Halo Infinite is now. A live service game, where updates and tweaks are common place. 

1 hour ago, crispy4000 said:

That's exactly the sort of thing that happens when a best selling franchise makes its multiplayer free.

I'll even go a step further and say the Games Pass playerbase alone could've incentivized this.

I mean I get it, but at the same time. Those $10 skins aren't even armor variant wide. It only applies to one variant. There is barley any customization at all, the HCS skins can't even be changed at all.

For anyone having that "I was around a wall" death issue.

17 hours ago, Nokt said:

Tell us how you really feel :daydream:

:hug:

All I can say is I got together a 12 man squad of my buddies and we rampaged in BTB for a couple of hours and had an absolute blast the entire time. If there are crucial components missing, it isn't affecting how much fun I've been having with this game since launch. 

21 minutes ago, Brick said:

Tell us how you really feel :daydream:

:hug:

18 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

All I can say is I got together a 12 man squad of my buddies and we rampaged in BTB for a couple of hours and had an absolute blast the entire time. If there are crucial components missing, it isn't affecting how much fun I've been having with this game since launch. 

All I'm hoping for is a Halo that maintains its population. If you're having fun, great, but how many times you gonna play the same 3 maps with the same 3 game modes before you decide to move on. Season 2 is a long ways away.

3 hours ago, Nokt said:

All I'm hoping for is a Halo that maintains its population. If you're having fun, great, but how many times you gonna play the same 3 maps with the same 3 game modes before you decide to move on. Season 2 is a long ways away.

I played PUBG for 3 years nearly every night 😂

I hope they improve the game in the areas you find lacking though.

1 hour ago, Mercury33 said:

I think the insane number of people playing Warzone have thoroughly debunked the “there’s not enough maps” argument. 

One giant map with numerous amounts of varied smaller areas vs a couple maps that don't even compare in size.

1 hour ago, sblfilms said:

I played PUBG for 3 years nearly every night 😂

I hope they improve the game in the areas you find lacking though.

Personally BRs are a completely different experience compared to Halo, but fair enough.

2 hours ago, Mercury33 said:

I think the insane number of people playing Warzone have thoroughly debunked the “there’s not enough maps” argument. 

1 hour ago, Nokt said:

One giant map with numerous amounts of varied smaller areas vs a couple maps that don't even compare in size.

People love Alcatraz / Rebirth island as well and that never changes, and is a much smaller map.

The Halo Reddit had to be locked down temporarily because of some extreme toxicity directed at the state of the multiplayer. Usual threats to devs and everything. The multiplayer isn't THAT bad. Like it's a quick little deathmatch style game. It will grow bigger eventually, plus it's free. People are ridiculous. 

• True 1

Game Information

Game Title: Halo Infinite

Platforms:

• PC (Dec 8, 2021)
  • Xbox One (Dec 8, 2021)
  • Xbox Series X/S (Dec 8, 2021)

Developer: 343 Industries
Publisher: Xbox Game Studios

Review Aggregator

OpenCritic - 86 average - 94% recommended

Critic Reviews

GamesBeat - 5 / 5 stars

Consider me a Halo fan now. I was never really looking forward to Infinite. But now that it’s here, it’s so much more than what I was expecting. And I think that whatever 343 does next will be even better, and I’ll be eagerly awaiting it.

PowerUp! - 10 / 10

Halo Infinite is, without question, the absolute best shooter of 2021

VG247 - 5 / 5 stars

Halo Infinite isn’t perfect. It has foibles and struggles here and there. But it’s also a slam dunk of a release; it’s exactly what Halo needs to be now. As Halo’s relevance has felt to wane over recent years, this is a bold statement that, no, Halo isn’t ‘over’. It was never close. It matters, and it’s still brilliant. I don’t mind waiting to see where updates take it, because what’s here at launch is already largely brilliant. I’m excited for the future of Halo again.

Windows Central - 5 / 5 stars

Halo Infinite is a phenomenal game that completely exceeded my expectations. By seamlessly blending exciting new elements with Halo's traditional formula, 343 Industries has crafted its magnun opus.

XboxEra - 10 / 10

In a year packed with sub-par launches for some of the biggest first-person shooter franchises, it really feels good to simply say this: Halo is back. I for one, welcome the return of the 👑.

Generación Xbox - Spanish - 9.9 / 10

Halo Infinite is a much needed reinvention of the franchise. Its campaign mode makes it the most ambitious, fun and complete Halo of them all. This edition is a love letter to fans and a true gift for the newcomers. Undoubtedly, one of the best games of the generation, and a true gem not to be missed.

SomosXbox - Spanish - 9.8 / 10

‎Halo Infinite is the best title created by 343 Industries, and the best celebration that could have ever been made for the franchise's 20th anniversary. A fun title to rage, long, with a very interesting plot, and a multiplayer mode that will give us hours and hours of fun. Little more to add to talk about a game that, without a doubt, will surprise all users who can enjoy it. Long live Bungie, 343 Industries, and the Master Chief.‎

Area Xbox - Spanish - 9.7 / 10

The Master Chief's latest adventure feels very solid and has quickly become one of my favorite titles of the year. It is difficult to find FPS with better sensations at the controls than those that Halo Infinite has transmitted to me. From its gunplay, through its artificial intelligence, its performance and of course its spectacular sound section. Without a doubt, an adventure designed for the enjoyment of the player.

Impulsegamer - 4.8 / 5

Halo Infinite on the Xbox Series X is classic Halo fun that has received a true next-gen makeover that really upgrades our favourite Spartan, the Master Chief himself!

CGMagazine - 9.5 / 10

Unencumbered by the baggage of the upcoming story campaign, Halo Infinite Multiplayer is arguably the definitive incarnation of the franchise’s online competitive component and is strong enough to stand on its own despite its F2P leanings.

IGN Middle East - 9.5 / 10

After years of waiting, Halo fans finally get what they deserve, with Halo Infinite proving to be Halo's best game to date in all respects

Seasoned Gaming - 9.5 / 10

As a spiritual reboot that maintains the current Halo timeline, Halo Infinite is everything I had hoped for and more. It's an emotional and heartfelt journey that sat with me for days after finishing it, and I'm already excited to experience it again.

Stevivor - 9.5 / 10

I was tempted to award Infinite a perfect score, but holes in functionality in both campaign and multiplayer hold it back ever so slightly. Don’t get me wrong, though — this is a fantastic offering and you absolutely owe it to yourself to play it. I imagine by May 2022 or so, that 10/10 experience will be there for fans and casual players alike.

The Games Machine - Italian - 9.5 / 10

Halo Infinite succeeds in the dual purpose of bringing the series back to its origins without forgetting to make several useful changes to rejuvenate the game formula.

Washington Post - 95 / 100

The ‘Halo Infinite’ campaign is the closest to perfection in 20 years

Game Informer - 9.3 / 10

A big game with a lot to offer through long-term multiplayer engagement and subsequent campaign plays; the whole thing feels rooted in legacy, but looking to the future

Areajugones - Spanish - 9.2 / 10

Halo Infinite's compendium is a remarkable one, a game that excels in all areas and that properly shows the hard work that 343 Industries has put in the game. The campaign is cool and the multiplayer is lots of fun, so all in all John 117's first appearance in the next-gen is a fantastic one.

Everyeye.it - Italian - 9.2 / 10

Halo: Infinite Multiplayer is a bomb. It is the return in great dust not only of a historical franchise - which regains a place at the top of competitive shooters - but also of a different interpretation of the genre.

Rectify Gaming - 9.2 / 10

The story of Master Chief and Cortana is riveting, the Banished make excellent enemies and the multiplayer is the most fun I’ve had since Halo 3.

Atomix - Spanish - 90 / 100

‎I am very happy to tell you that Halo: Infinite is the Halo we had been waiting for and that shows that in fact, 343 Industries is the right studio to continue with the legacy of Master Chief and that most likely, this new formula that integrates an open world in the campaign, is the way to go for future installments. Although, the way in which his story is told is unkind to the new ones, I would tell you that you will find a great FPS anyway in case you have never given the opportunity to John 117, and if you are one of the old veterans, then fasten your belt well because a real journey full of emotions awaits you that will surely return you to the most memorable moments of this super iconic franchise. Xbox is Halo and Halo is Xbox.‎

DVS Gaming - 9 / 10

Halo Infinite is a successful launch and made a huge comeback despite the negativity. It is one of the best first-player shooters I have played this year and really built upon what the franchise has to offer. Despite some issues and poor level design I overall am extremely enjoying the game and I can’t wait for the campaign to release.

Destructoid - 9 / 10

If I had one piece of advice for people on the fence with Halo Infinite, it would be to not worry about the open world and embrace how it’s handled here. I was incredibly worried at first that 343 wouldn’t be able to resist the siren’s song of other major publishers, but the restraint here is appreciated. This is an extremely 2021 Halo, and I think it’s going to win over both lapsed players and diehards.

DualShockers - 9 / 10

Celebrating its 20th anniversary, it feels almost poetic that Halo Infinite is its biggest, boldest, and most creative launch since the series released. Bringing a return to form for both the campaign and multiplayer, the entire experience is a Halo tour de force for the Xbox brand. With the promise that Halo Infinite will be a launching ground for future Halo experiences, Master Chief is looking at a bright future ahead.

Enternity.gr - Greek - 9 / 10

Halo Infinite is the Master's triumphant return in every way

Explosion Network - 9 / 10

Even while I got lost in the narrative's reliance on drawing from the encyclopaedic franchises' past, I got caught up in the human story between Master Chief and The Weapon. Halo Infinite features an addictive campaign that moves from one objective to the other, and muttering "I'll stop after the next mission" is almost always a lie.

Game Rant - 4.5 / 5 stars

Halo Infinite is inevitably going to see a ton of play thanks to its day one inclusion on Game Pass and the campaign is well-positioned to impress. There are plenty of mechanical, enemy, weapon, and story throwbacks for longtime fans to smirk at and the game is approachable, exciting, and endearing enough to potentially win over a whole new generation of Halo fans.

GameSpot - 9 / 10

Halo Infinite transforms the series' two-decade-old formula for the better, giving protagonist Master Chief more characterization and implementing an open world.

Gamersky - Chinese - 9 / 10

As part of the series' reboot, Halo Infinite delivers a high-scoring answer with a newly designed single-player campaign and steady multiplayer mode.

GamesRadar+ - 4.5 / 5 stars

Halo Infinite celebrates a 20-year legacy with style and smartly outlines the foundations for future expansion – and it's the best Halo has been in quite some time

GamingTrend - 90 / 100

Put simply, Halo Infinite is a return to form. 343 Industries has managed to deliver a campaign with a compelling storyline, fresh ideas, and familiar gunplay that takes the series in a brand new direction without breaking the formula. It was well worth the wait, even if there are a few bugs remaining to hammer out.

God is a Geek - 9 / 10

The Halo Infinite Multiplayer is a strong entry into one of the greatest FPS series of all time, with cool maps and some awesome modes.

God is a Geek - 9 / 10

Halo Infinite is a great example of gameplay being king. Moreish, exciting combat is only let down by a fairly safe open world and lack of essential feeling abilities and upgrades.

Hobby Consolas - Spanish - 90 / 100

‎Not only does it manage to expand the playable frontiers of Halo, but it also makes us feel "at home" with sensations similar to those of the beginning of the franchise.‎

IGN - 9 / 10

Halo Infinite's multiplayer delivers a spectacular modern version of one of gaming's most esteemed first-person shooters.

IGN - 9 / 10

Halo Infinite's single-player campaign is exactly what this series needed. It brings out the best in Master Chief's unique and satisfying combat style while leveraging old ideas to create memorable new moments. Its story falls short for both new and veteran players, but it was worth the six-year wait.

IGN Spain - Spanish - 9 / 10

Halo Infinite recovers all the epicness of the first installments in a title that seems to want to act as a connection with the future of the saga.

MondoXbox - Italian - 9 / 10

Halo Infinite is 100% classic Halo, even with innovations like the grappling hook and the open-world structure that, in fact, leverage the very elements that made the series a great video game classic. 343 Industries has nailed game structure, gameplay, gunplay, AI, graphics and music, but stumbled with inexcusable flaws - especially after such a long wait - in variety and replayability. The game will still keep you glued to the controller though, so there's little doubt: Master Chief is back and he's in great shape.

PPE.pl - Polish - 9 / 10

I can't get away from this game. Halo Infinite is a lot of fun, and each completed match encourages me to do the next one. The campaign will surprise many and confirm: this is not the end of Master Chief's problems. The creators have a plan for more attractions, so we can already rub our hands.

Post Arcade (National Post) - 9 / 10

The sixth mainline game in Xbox's most sacred property is a classic and reverent Halo experience that embraces modern ideas where it makes sense.

Press Start - 9 / 10

With an adventurous campaign, complete with a sandbox that'll still be there when your friends can join the fight, and a multiplayer suite that feels like a note-perfect revival of the Halo of old, Halo Infinite feels like the complete blockbuster sci-fi shooter we've been waiting for from 343 Industries. It hasn't happened overnight for the team, but the mantle passed to them, at last, feels earned.

Pure Xbox - 9 / 10

Halo Infinite feels like a big step forward for the franchise, a slick shift into the open world arena that manages to strike a fine balance between the traditional narrative-driven Halo of old and all-new levels of freedom and emergent gameplay.

SECTOR.sk - Slovak - 9 / 10

After 20 years, Halo started a new chapter. It's exciting, it feels brand new and it is still really good.

Shacknews - 9 / 10

Halo Infinite is 343 Industries' third entry in the franchise and the team manages to deliver one of the best Halo experiences to date.

Spaziogames - Italian - 9 / 10

343 Industries made an amazing job in making Halo: Infinite feel new and captivating, yet familiar for long time fans that patiently waited for Master Chief to come back.

TheGamer - 4.5 / 5 stars

If the campaign will continue to be built upon with similarly intimate stories revolving around Master Chief and The Weapon then I cannot wait to see them, since the potential here for expansion is limitless. Multiplayer is spectacular, even as it struggles with teething issues associated with becoming a live-service model. At its core the punchy gunplay, reactive movement, and reliance on teamwork remains, and that’s all Halo Infinite needs to become a winner. As someone who grew up as a blubbering fangirl, it feels so good to see Master Chief deliver an adventure that is once again worthy of his iconic status.

Worth Playing - 9 / 10

No matter what your focus is, Halo Infinite is a blast. For multiplayer fans, the gameplay is rock solid. The back-to-basics approach works well to keep longtime fans engaged, and the game is easy to pick up and play to hook newer fans. Campaign fans will enjoy that mode despite a few issues, since the open-world setting allows for some breadth in approach while retaining the familiar mission structure and flow. Infinite should be on your Christmas list, despite the lack of other big features at launch, like co-op, Forge, and local play.

Xbox Achievements - 90 / 100

While Halo Infinite's campaign structure is new territory for the series, and will likely divide opinion, it tells a good story, and creates moments that rank it in the top half when it comes to good Halo campaigns. Throw in a phenomenal multiplayer arena and some stellar shooter mechanics, and it's safe to say that 343 has finally put their stamp on the wonderful world of Halo.

Cerealkillerz - German - 8.9 / 10

Halo Infinite doesn't offer all of its content at launch but shines already with a solid campaign, new innovative gameplay ideas and an expansive open world that will satisfy fans of the series. A few generic and unimaginative elements tarnish the whole package but besides these small missteps, one of the most innovative games of the series wait here for oldschool Halo Fans as well as newcomers.

GamePro - German - 87 / 100

Halo Infinite's campaign and multiplayer will delight fans in particular, but the dull open world is hardly inspiring.

Everyeye.it - Italian - 8.5 / 10

The keystone of Halo Infinite, the element that supports the experience at all times with little variation, is, without a shadow of a doubt, its gameplay: precise, stimulating and compelling.

PC Invasion - 8.5 / 10

Though there are some scuffs in the armor, the campaign of Halo Infinite still shines.

TechRaptor - 8.5 / 10

Halo Infinite does a great job of nailing what makes Halo work so well while expanding the gameplay, adding in new elements like an open world and new armor abilities.

TrueGaming - Arabic - 8.5 / 10

Halo Infinite is a game that will impress old fans as well as newcomers, with refreshing changes in story style as well as team play style.

XGN.nl - Dutch - 8.5 / 10

After years of absence, Halo is back. And how. With a thrilling campaign, 343 Industries captures that feeling of old-school Halo, whilst adding to the formula. The new open-world structure is a lighter version of what we know from the genre, but the addicting gameplay makes the whole experience feel truly remarkable. And that feeling extends to the multiplayer. There are some technical points that do need some refinement, but overall Halo Infinite is a solid new entry in the iconic franchise.

3DNews - Russian - 8 / 10

Halo Infinite tries to be a lot of things at once: it is the end of Cortana storyline, a new beginning and nostalgia trip through Combat Evolved events. And it is good in most of those things. But only good, not more than that.

AltChar - 8 / 10

Halo Infinite multiplayer is truly a love letter to old school shooters and a proper return to the qualities that originally made the series famous. Whether you are looking for smaller, more organised, matches or all-out warfare with vehicles, you have a lot to enjoy in this game.

AusGamers - 8 / 10

In the end though it’s hard to fault what 343 Industries has accomplished with Halo Infinite. It’s very much the spiritual successor it purports to be -- with forward thinking design and elements that flow in a way that reminds you of the timeless nature of the fluid, stylish combat of old. The lack of co-op is something you feel, but in terms of cinematic spectacle this is the Master Chief carrying the flag once more for Xbox. Albeit in that new-school form of being able to jump in and, well, play anywhere.

Checkpoint Gaming - 8 / 10

Master Chief is back and better than ever. Halo Infinite introduces open-world elements that don’t distract from the main story and add value to its replayability and memorable action. Even with the inclusion of the thrilling Grappleshot, the gameplay still maintains its signature feel. Multiplayer may need a lot of finetuning, but it costs nothing to play and provides plenty of frantic fun for a group of friends and solo players. With more features and additions to come, Halo Infinite isn’t slowing down… No. I think we’re just getting started.

Digital Trends - 4 / 5 stars

Halo Infinite isn't going to reinvent the shooter genre, but it's a fun solo and multiplayer experience that can only get better with time.

EGM - 8 / 10

Halo Infinite handles the burden of the franchise's long history gracefully. At times, as with the campaign's story, it can feel like developer 343 Industries is weighed down by Master Chief's Mjolnir armor. But Infinite's bolder design choices, like its open-world environment and Grappleshot, make it feel exciting and new. The multiplayer might play it a little safe to appease longtime fans, but if the worst thing you can say about it is that it feels like old-school Halo, then it's doing something right. It's Halo made for Halo fans, but there's enough novelty to keep it feeling fresh.

Filmweb - Polish - 8 / 10 stars

„Halo: Infinite” is basically „Skyfall”. Neither a sequel nor reboot, it is simultaneously apologetic, nostalgic and forward-looking. But unlike in „Skyfall” being offensive to predecessors actually pays off in a big way and makes for fascinating journey to the roots of the genre. Yeah, with modern touch it’s not the same kind of magic. But I strongly doubt if the same exact kind of magic is something we should be wishing for.

GRYOnline.pl - Polish - 8 / 10

Microsoft's new shooter "delivers". It is admittedly very old-school, but it suits me. Halo Infinite won't revolutionize the genre, but it's a not just groundbreaking work that can be very entertaining.

GameByte - 8 / 10

Overall, the 16 hours I spent with the Halo Infinite campaign certainly had dull points. However, sheer thrill shines through at several points, proving that there’s still life in this 20-year-old franchise. It’s now up to 343 Industries to keep it that way.

GameMAG - Russian - 8 / 10

Halo Infinite is definitely one of the best releases of this year. And now we will patiently wait to see where the game goes next with future updates.

GameSpew - 8 / 10

After the disappointing Halo 5: Guardians, it really does feel like 343 Industries is getting the series back on track with Halo Infinite. The setting is familiar, and so is the gameplay, but like returning to your hometown to meet up with long-lost friends, it’s a wholesome experience and, once you scratch the surface, things are different enough to allay any fears that you’re just re-treading the same old ground. Perhaps the biggest shame is that co-op won’t be available until after launch, because those open areas could really do with multiple Spartans causing havoc in them. But until then, even playing solo is bound to be captivating thanks to firefights that put most other first-person shooters to shame.

Gameblog - French - 8 / 10

Halo Infinite clearly marks a return to form for the Halo Franchise. The feeling is there, the music is there and the setting is there too. And 343 manages to make the game feel familiar all the while adding some new, and welcome, features. Halo Infinite also feels like the most intimate Master Chief story yet.

Giant Bomb - 4 / 5 stars

Overall, Halo Infinite is great but something of a mixed bag. Fans of the genre will certainly enjoy the additional mobility granted by the grappling hook while the rest of the gameplay delivers that well-polished Halo experience that shooter-heads have come to know and love over the decades. It's a bit of a shame that the story doesn't quite stick the landing, but add in the fantastic (and free) multiplayer and you've got a really solid foundation for whatever comes next, be that a story expansion or an eventual full-on sequel.

Guardian - 4 / 5 stars

The engrossing flagship Xbox shooter returns with its fabled craggy supersoldier and plenty of style but not quite enough bang.

Hardcore Gamer - 4 / 5

Halo Infinite concludes a good run of 2021 Microsoft exclusives and it stands up to the best of what the Halo series has offered over its near twenty year run.

IGN Italy - Italian - 8 / 10

Halo Infinite as a game is a solid and fun job. As a chapter in a series that has always been characterized by strong epic traits, it is little more than a simple prologue.

LevelUp - Spanish - 8 / 10

Above all, it is a game that is played well, has a good duration and difficulty, and prepares the series for a promising future.

Metro GameCentral - 8 / 10

The bizarrely structured and frequently uninteresting story campaign threatens to undermine the multiplayer, but this is still easily the best Halo has been for over a decade.

PCGamesN - 8 / 10

A phenomenal single-player experience that competes with the best this iconic series has to offer. Multiplayer needs a fair few structural tweaks, but still ultimately sparks joy.

Saudi Gamer - Arabic - 8 / 10

On the side of Multiplayer Mode, we have a strong return to the series roots and a great mix between preserving the series identity and adding new fresh ideas from equipment and weapons that give special combat scenarios that no one will find except in the Halo series!

Telegraph - 4 / 5 stars

The blockbuster shooter goes open-world with mixed results, but its impeccable combat and sumptuous vistas win out

TheSixthAxis - 8 / 10

Halo Infinite's multiplayer is a fantastic showcase of just how brilliant Halo can be, its fundamental gameplay and the mix of small and larger-scale modes a joy to play. It's just a shame that so much of that is being clouded by the dismal battle pass, paid cosmetics and unsatisfying progression. Halo Infinite multiplayer is a must-play for shooter fans, but its monetisation needs to change if it's going to survive in the long run.

TrueAchievements - 8 / 10

Moment-to-moment gameplay in Halo Infinite feels fantastic, so it's just a bit of a shame that there isn't more to do with those tight mechanics right now.

TrustedReviews - 4 / 5 stars

Halo Infinite features a captivating story, tying up loose ends from previous entries while introducing strong new characters. Combat is basic, but it’s still just as fun and satisfying as ever, especially with the introduction of the Grappleshot. And while the new generic open-world segments fail to elevate Infinite to the best in the series, they at least offer welcome breathers between each action-packed linear level that offers the classic Halo experience.

Twinfinite - 4 / 5

For now, the classic Halo multiplayer offering will be more than enough to keep them playing for months on end, even if the game modes and maps offering needs some refinement, ideally sooner rather than later. This is the evolution the series needed and provides a promising foundation for the future of the series.

VGC - 4 / 5 stars

Halo Infinite's move to a more open-world structure feels like a new beginning for the series, with nostalgic nods and fresh introductions combining to great effect. Both the campaign and multiplayer have room for improvement, but the core experience is strong.

VideoGamer - 8 / 10

But it is, right now, where 343 has succeeded with Halo Infinite—where it has taken us full circle and where it is  looking ahead. I will leave you with the words of Cortana: “This isn’t an end. It’s a chance to make amends. To rectify mistakes. And it starts here.”

WellPlayed - 8 / 10

Halo Infinite's campaign closes a few doors and opens some others, and even if the open-world stylings could be better integrated into the overarching gameplay design, it's a title that pays homage to the past while looking to the future

PC Gamer - 78 / 100

Halo Infinite can't quite deliver on being an open-world throwback, but it's the best shooting the series has seen to date.

COGconnected - 76 / 100

I’ve shared many gripes I have with Halo Infinite. I’ve shared them meticulously because I love this franchise and want it to continue succeeding. Beyond them all, I absolutely love playing it. The campaign’s open-world gameplay is phenomenal, and I can’t wait to play through it again on legendary, especially with a friend in the future. Despite my disappointment in the narrative, the lead performances are strong, and the presentation is cinematic. I’ve been playing Halo multiplayer with my friends for nearly twenty years. We’ve kept up with the Master Chief Collection over the years, but Infinite is the most addicted we’ve been in a long time. It’s far from perfect, but I can’t wait to see how Halo Infinite evolves over the coming months and years.

Forbes - 7.5 / 10

Halo Infinite might be the best campaign 343 has done, but considering I didn’t love the last two, I’m not sure how much weight that carries. Halo Reach remains the gold standard for me in that department, and while I had a lot of fun here zipping around the open world, and I can see the potential of the concept, something about Infinite feels small and unfinished to me compared to both other Halo campaigns, and other open world titles. I don’t need (or want) a sprawling Assassin’s Creed map that takes 200 hours to clear, but I think I need more diversity than what’s here, and a better story with better characters told within it.

Game Revolution - 7.5 / 10

And therein lies the inherent issue with launching Halo Infinite as a platform for the Halo series. It’s clear that there’s tons of potential here, and there’s so much to love about what 343 Industries has already introduced, but playing it at launch feels like you’re playing the worst version of what could rightly wind up being a fantastic game. Game Pass lets subscribers experience games like Halo Infinite on a whim, and it also lets developers like 343 take risks on launching a “Halo platform” that’s a work-in-progress. Currently, its single-player campaign is fun if somewhat empty, while its multiplayer flickers between exhilarating and frustrating. With the former being available on Game Pass while the latter is free-to-play, it’s not much of a gamble to just play it despite its problems, but by now I think we all miss when games felt like they were finished at launch.

Gamerheadquarters - 7.4 / 10

Halo Infinite is an ambitious next step for the franchise, where they aim to recreate the wonder and mystery that Combat Evolved did twenty years ago. I don’t feel that the game reaches the heights that have been set for it, with limited multiplayer content and a campaign that has numerous elements that don't quite hit the mark. It feels, finite instead of being Infinite as the titling of the game suggests.

New Game Network - 74 / 100

Halo Infinite offers a brief campaign with uneven writing, and a functional but safe implementation of the new open-world levels. It's still a great shooter with strong core mechanics that help carry the experience, but as multiplayer is now standalone and free, the value proposition of this full priced solo adventure is rather diluted.

Attack of the Fanboy - 3.5 / 5 stars

Halo Infinite might be kind of underwhelming on the single player side, but multiplayer has tons of promise if 343 can tackle launch issues swiftly.

GGRecon - 7 / 10

The redeeming aspect about Halo Infinite is that underneath the unnecessary open world format and cookie cutter story missions, the core gameplay is Halo at its best. While it's much faster paced than the Bungie-era, Infinite improves tenfold upon the disappointing 343 releases so far. The story is nothing to write home about but engaging in a full blown scrap with a squad of Banished feels brilliant. This is largely down to the new tools at Master Chief's disposal, along with the added weapon variants. Few things are as satisfying as grappling a grunt and electrocuting all the surrounding enemies, then finishing them off with a sweep of a Sentinel Beam or perfectly placed Mangler shots. The downside is how this is surrounded by bloat, in a new direction for Halo that doesn't quite land on its first outing, despite being incredibly polished and excellent from one skirmish to the next.

IGN Korea - Korean - 7 / 10

The shooting mechanism which already reached its height in the previous work has gone through further refinement, and the introduction of semi-open world experience adds much needed exploration to the game. Add to this, the audio and visual style brings a sense of nostalgia and made this game worthy successor of classic Halo. In terms of the story, however, the game focuses on adding new narrative while the liability left by the previous work often neglected, made its continuity superficial at best. Although the fun of the game itself cannot be denied, the unsatisfactory storytelling still remains as a chronic problem of 343 Industries' Halo.

Screen Rant - 3.5 / 5 stars

It's plausible Halo Infinite will eventually become an era-defining game, one that reestablishes it as a dominant shooter franchise, but it's not there yet and there's no telling when it will be.

ACG - Buy

Video Review - Quote not available

Ars Technica - Unscored

Basically, 343 charts a few dozen encounters and terrain paths that would have been found in prior games' linear campaign levels, then spreads them over a series of floating, connected islands to make its open world. Additionally, 343 has a nifty tool in its toolbox: Halo's 20-year-long gimmick of warping enemies from outer space whenever needed. Infinite kicks serious butt in these moments. Follow your map to an icon or simply walk up to a weird-looking point of interest and the game will start inserting foes, all hunkered behind carefully crafted terrain that separates you from them. Surprise: it's a miniature level!

Console Creatures - Recommended

Despite the odds, Halo Infinite is not only spiritually rebooted, but delivered with love in spades. From its personal & emotional delivery of Master Chief’s story to the mystery & exploration of Zeta Halo, it is not to be missed.

Echo Boomer - Portuguese - Unscored

The biggest Halo ever is also the safest, more focused on its cast of characters than the grandiose galactic adventure of it's predecessors.

Eurogamer - Recommended

Halo Infinite's move to sort-of open world is a largely successful jumping off point for Halo's bold new future.

GamingBolt - Unscored

Halo Infinite’s multiplayer is one of the series’ best offerings to date. With time, it can become even better.

Kotaku - Unscored

How do you even consider Halo Infinite in totality? I’m not sure that you do, not least because 343 Industries has stated that Infinite isn’t the end of a lengthy development process but the start of an ever-evolving game. (See: seasonal model, incoming cooperative and creative modes, the barest wisps of rumored story expansions.) Master Chief loves to prattle on about “finishing the fight.” But the fight never ends. And if Halo Infinite is what we get as a result? Bring it on.

Player2.net.au - A-

Halo Infinite had huge expectations to live up to. 343 Studios had yet to nail the entire Halo package and its much-publicised delay must have had the Xbox executive team worried. I am pleased to say that in all areas (bar the missing co-op) that Infinite has met and, in some cases, exceeded those expectations.

Polygon - Polygon Recommends

Halo Infinite swaps out the loadouts and armor abilities of earlier games for a few new pickups, including the grappling hook, which is by far the most useful of these tools. After relying on it so much in Halo Infinite's campaign, it feels criminal to pass it by in multiplayer.

Rock, Paper, Shotgun - Unscored

A rickety storyline can't stop this from grappling back lapsed fans with its open world and nostalgic gunfights.

Skill Up - Unscored

The A.V. Club - Unscored

It’s a very modern interpretation of what Halo can be, pulling from the kinds of games that are as big today as Halo was when it first launched. Rather that feeling like a Greatest Hits of modern video gaming, though, it still feels distinctly like Halo. Meanwhile, its potential to grow and change seems like it will have a much more lasting impact than any amount of bopping aliens in the head. Maybe “combat evolved” just means something new now.

TheSixthAxis - Unscored

Based on our time with it so far, Halo Infinite is the best Halo package we’ve had since Halo Reach, and finally brings 343 Studios’ work in line with Bungie’s original series.

Unboxholics - Greek - Worth your time

I dare to say that this is the real and promising return of Halo. The game is not perfect, the open world has many weaknesses, while some things like co-op are absent, at least during the release. However, the campaign is well-written, well-structured and well-crafted. After much outcry and endless questioning by all of us, 343 Industries and Microsoft seem to have succeeded…

Windows Central - Unscored

Halo Infinite multiplayer delivers the most impressive Halo sandbox we've ever seen with gorgeous stages, satisfying gunplay, and perfect moment-to-moment action. It's an absolutely stellar accomplishment from the team at 343 Industries.

gameranx - Unscored