Halo Infinite - Information Thread, update (01/15/24): Certain Affinity's battle royale project reportedly cancelled, UE5-based campaign project in development since 2022

JPDunks4

Campaign better be robust and lengthy to justify $60 (or is this going to be $70?) when the multiplayer is going to be free, but with this latest news it almost sounds like it'd be a safe bet to wait 6 months after launch and get it on a sale... 

Hope we are getting worried for nothing, but another delay wouldn't exactly surprise me. 

11 minutes ago, Brick said:

Campaign better be robust and lengthy to justify $60 (or is this going to be $70?) when the multiplayer is going to be free, but with this latest news it almost sounds like it'd be a safe bet to wait 6 months after launch and get it on a sale.

Or play it on game pass you noob.

I thought people liked Halo 4. Must have just been the guys I knew in college. From the technical test it seems people really liked Infinite though.

Since they wanted to wait to know Call of Duty's release date, that tells me they wanted a November release date for Infinite. Now that we know CoD is releasing November 5, I'm going to guess November 23 for Infinite to get it out right before Black Friday. Maybe even earlier on the 16th, or even 19th if they want to do a Friday release date which more and more games seem to be doing.

The general consensus seems to be - 

Halo 4 - Good campaign, Bad Multiplayer

Halo 5 - Bad Campaign, Good Multiplayer

People hope 343 would be able to deliver both good campaign and multiplayer this time.  I still do believe it'll be a good game, but 343 seems to need new leadership, and Phil and Matt Booty really need to re-evaluate how they handle 343, because you can't be that hands off of a studio that hasn't proven they can deliver on their own.

13 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

That was the last Halo I played and it was not good.

This. I plan on replaying it but Halo 4 was not that good (campaign anyway). They poorly introduced a hugely expanded mythology that was mostly in books but they should have better streamlined it into the Halo 4 campaign so for those of us who aren't reading shitty Halo novels we can understand the history of the Forerunners, the Flood, Ancient Humanity, the Precursors,  and the Covenant. The whole Ancient Humanity thing and separately the Precursors thing were impossible to parse going from Halo 3/Halo Reach right into Halo 4. This was on top of all the Librarian and Didact shit you had to keep track of on top of the number of Halo's still active in the Halo array, etc. I mean, technically the Flood were the Precursors and current humanity were Ancient Humanity, just as a for instance of how complicated things get. The Precursors, Ancient Humanity, and the Forerunners have been at odds with each other for millenia, long before the original Halo trilogy (which didn't have this mythology baked in when it was created, of course).

29 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

This. I plan on replaying it but Halo 4 was not that good (campaign anyway). They poorly introduced a hugely expanded mythology that was mostly in books but they should have better streamlined it into the Halo 4 campaign so for those of us who aren't reading shitty Halo novels we can understand the history of the Forerunners, the Flood, Ancient Humanity, the Precursors,  and the Covenant. The whole Ancient Humanity thing and separately the Precursors thing were impossible to parse going from Halo 3/Halo Reach right into Halo 4. This was on top of all the Librarian and Didact shit you had to keep track of on top of the number of Halo's still active in the Halo array, etc. I mean, technically the Flood were the Precursors and current humanity were Ancient Humanity, just as a for instance of how complicated things get. The Precursors, Ancient Humanity, and the Forerunners have been at odds with each other for millenia, long before the original Halo trilogy (which didn't have this mythology baked in when it was created, of course).

Besides the story stuff, a lot of the gameplay was awful. The new weapons were bad. I think this is the first time a halo game has had enemies feel bullet spongey but that's how the new enemies felt. There were weird aggro cutoff points which don't really happen in these games, like you could cross over a threshold, you'd be in sight but the enemy would de-aggro. Also, the only halo I've run out of ammo while playing.

Final boss battle was like a QTE or something. Just awful stuff.

11 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Besides the story stuff, a lot of the gameplay was awful. The new weapons were bad. I think this is the first time a halo game has had enemies feel bullet spongey but that's how the new enemies felt. There were weird aggro cutoff points which don't really happen in these games, like you could cross over a threshold, you'd be in sight but the enemy would de-aggro. Also, the only halo I've run out of ammo while playing.

Final boss battle was like a QTE or something. Just awful stuff.

Oh for sure - but I can tolerate all that BS if the story is good but nope. I agree with everything you've said though.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, JPDunks4 said:

The general consensus seems to be - 

Halo 4 - Good campaign, Bad Multiplayer

Halo 5 - Bad Campaign, Good Multiplayer

People hope 343 would be able to deliver both good campaign and multiplayer this time.  I still do believe it'll be a good game, but 343 seems to need new leadership, and Phil and Matt Booty really need to re-evaluate how they handle 343, because you can't be that hands off of a studio that hasn't proven they can deliver on their own.

It's not a good campaign, the story is just liked by lore nerds. It does a really bad job with presentation of the story, they force you into a lot of bad scenarios with bad guns against the most boring AI. I'd say the only redeeming factors is that its a really good looking game for late in the 360 lifespan and its star fox level is fun. 

I think Halo 4 impressed me more in the graphical power for a system that was about to be replaced. The story didn’t interest me too much, enemies were meh and only a couple of the new weapons really worth using. I still haven’t finished Halo 5 and don’t know if I will. No good A.I. partners that seem to die or need a revive every minute or 2 and ignore me. Plus the graphics were only ok for the newer system.

I will admit that I’m loving what I’ve seen with the limited multiplayer videos out there for Infinite. Can’t wait to actually play it, and I hope a public multiplayer beta happens soon.

On 8/22/2021 at 2:12 PM, Nokt said:

It's not a good campaign, the story is just liked by lore nerds. It does a really bad job with presentation of the story, they force you into a lot of bad scenarios with bad guns against the most boring AI. I'd say the only redeeming factors is that its a really good looking game for late in the 360 lifespan and its star fox level is fun. 

As a lore nerd who read a few of the Halo books, including the first forerunner book that was supposed to be the backstory, I thought the Halo 4 story was awful. That regards both the new "lore" they introduced in the game and the fact that sexualizing Cortana as much as they did and turning it into some weird love story was a massive mistake that misunderstood the framing of the relationship between her and the Chief established in the previous games and books.

Gameplay-wise, Halo 4 also failed to capture the sandboxy feel of the previous Halo campaigns.

4 hours ago, legend said:

As a lore nerd who read a few of the Halo books, including the first forerunner book that was supposed to be the backstory, I thought the Halo 4 story was awful. That regards both the new "lore" they introduced in the game and the fact that sexualizing Cortana as much as they did and turning it into some weird love story was a massive mistake that misunderstood the framing of the relationship between her and the Chief established in the previous games and books.

Gameplay-wise, Halo 4 also failed to capture the sandboxy feel of the previous Halo campaigns.

I think the Forerunner trilogy just gives a lot of detail/backstory to the forerunners. I do remember Silentium was specifically released after Halo 4 as to not spoil something though. It’s been too long, I enjoyed Cryptum, but Primordium put me to sleep, I ended up reading a synopsis of Silentium. There is also the Kilo-Five trilogy, but I don’t know how much that ties into Halo 4 because I can’t stand Karen Traviss.

Honestly 343i up to this point has done nothing but try to set themselves apart from anything Bungie did and make their vision of Halo work. Extremely mixed results, but lore wise I’d say it’s been for the worse. I deleted MCC for the first time off my computer a few months ago since it released. I’m over waiting for this series to turn itself around. I’ll probably do game pass when Infinite releases just to play it with some friends who still play, but my hopes aren’t high. 

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Halo Infinite - Information Thread, update: December 8 release for campaign/multiplayer announced

December 8th!? Damn that was much later than expected. Who's willing to bet even that late of a launch won't be enough, and it won't be until mid-2022 that things get ironed out, making everyone think they should have just delayed it until then anyway?

SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS

• MINIMUM:
    • Requires a 64-bit processor and operating system
    • Processor: AMD FX-8370 or Intel i5-4440
    • Memory: 8 GB RAM
    • Graphics: AMD RX 570 or Nvidia GTX 1050 Ti
    • DirectX: Version 12
    • Storage: 50 GB available space
  • RECOMMENDED:
    • Requires a 64-bit processor and operating system
    • Processor: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X or Intel i7-9700k
    • Memory: 16 GB RAM
    • Graphics: Radeon RX 5700 XT or Nvidia RTX 2070
    • DirectX: Version 12
    • Storage: 50 GB available space

• 3 weeks later...

Now I have no idea if this is Halo, but Grubb has seemed to have pretty good insider info on Xbox stuff.  With the reception of the lack of co-op campaign at launch, wouldn't shock me if they delayed it.

The main reason I think they may not, is the marketing stuff they have in place for it again.

2 hours ago, JPDunks4 said:

Now I have no idea if this is Halo, but Grubb has seemed to have pretty good insider info on Xbox stuff.  With the reception of the lack of co-op campaign at launch, wouldn't shock me if they delayed it.

The main reason I think they may not, is the marketing stuff they have in place for it again.

If its Halo I'd be more than fine if they delay the single player until co op is ready. Release the multiplayer on December 8th since it's free anyway.

1 hour ago, Keyser_Soze said:

If you're citing Jeff Grubb on a rumor that Halo is delayed it wasn't even a week ago he said he was pretty confident it would come out since they have everyone working on it.

I haven't followed his rumors lately, just saw the tweet and know he's been pretty keen on Xbox insider stuff all year so it was the first thing that came to mind.

Now I'm seeing Battlefield most likely, and I'm fine with that.