Halo Infinite - Information Thread, update (01/15/24): Certain Affinity's battle royale project reportedly cancelled, UE5-based campaign project in development since 2022

JPDunks4

Teaser on Twitter today...

Banished as the main antagonists?  Yes please.  I still do need to play Halo Wars 2, but the Atriox trailers were awesome.

Edit - While this is for Halo Wars 2, and I don't know if Atriox will even be in the new Halo, I liked the idea of the Banish far more than whatever we were fighting in Halo 4 and 5.

In Halo 5 campaign the only "part" I enjoyed was the first cut scene featuring Spartan Blue Team...outside that everything else was pretty meh...

Chief reuniting with Halsey was neat too...too bad Karen Traviss and 343 took a dump on her character...

MP of Halo 5 was great no doubt

3 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

Halo 4 and Halo 5 were both bad in terms of SP campaigns when compared with 1-3 + Reach

This. I stopped playing multiplayer games like Halo as I got older, so I stuck with Halo for the story. But Halo 4 was so bland and the mythology started becoming so convoluted that I just gave up on the franchise after that. I haven't even played Halo 5: Guardians or Halo Wars 2. I'll also add that Halo Wars 1 and ODST were great as well.

8 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

This. I stopped playing multiplayer games like Halo as I got older, so I stuck with Halo for the story. But Halo 4 was so bland and the mythology started becoming so convoluted that I just gave up on the franchise after that. I haven't even played Halo 5: Guardians or Halo Wars 2. I'll also add that Halo Wars 1 and ODST were great as well.

My biggest problem with Halo 4’s storyline and storytelling is that it seemingly made the assumption that everyone playing it read all the books and mythology, something Bungie, for the most part, completely ignored in 1-3 + Reach. If your only experience with Halo was the games, you entered 4 with a “uhh... did I miss something?” feeling, IMO.

5 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

My biggest problem with Halo 4’s storyline and storytelling is that it seemingly made the assumption that everyone playing it read all the books and mythology, something Bungie, for the most part, completely ignored in 1-3 + Reach. If your only experience with Halo was the games, you entered 4 with a “uhh... did I miss something?” feeling, IMO.

Absolutely. Bungie solved this with in-game dialogue and menu information, etc. But Halo 4 onward just presumed we'd read all the cross-media between Halo 3 and Halo 4's release. Even with me knowing some of it I struggled.

10 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

The Forerunners up to this point were largely unexplored and I'm not sure the 2 books in the Forerunner trilogy (Silentium released after Halo 4) really fill in anything that you would need to know about the plot. Though I haven't read them in years, I could be wrong. Having glazed over a plot summary of Glasslands I'm not sure it does anything either. Some additional information, like about the Forerunner/human/flood war, are explained in the terminals. All of these can provide better insight into the universe, but aren't absolutely necessary.

It basically boils down to this. The Didact doesn't think humanity is ready to take the Mantle of Responsibility and therefore is putting in motion plans to prevent it.

Everything is told in game, if a bit bluntly. Like the Mantle is literally explained as "Guardianship for all living things" and thats it.

12 hours ago, Nokt said:

The Forerunners up to this point were largely unexplored and I'm not sure the 2 books in the Forerunner trilogy (Silentium released after Halo 4) really fill in anything that you would need to know about the plot. Though I haven't read them in years, I could be wrong. Having glazed over a plot summary of Glasslands I'm not sure it does anything either. Some additional information, like about the Forerunner/human/flood war, are explained in the terminals. All of these can provide better insight into the universe, but aren't absolutely necessary.

It basically boils down to this. The Didact doesn't think humanity is ready to take the Mantle of Responsibility and therefore is putting in motion plans to prevent it.

Everything is told in game, if a bit bluntly. Like the Mantle is literally explained as "Guardianship for all living things" and thats it.

Yes.

The antagonist in Halo 4 is presented as "OH MAN! LOOK WHO IT IS!!!!" :p 

I'm sure it has to do largely with when I played all these games and how much they impacted me, but while I recall the major arc of Halo 1-3, I couldn't for the life of me tell you what happens in 4 or 5, and I haven't replayed any of them after the sequels were released.

8 hours ago, TwinIon said:

I'm sure it has to do largely with when I played all these games and how much they impacted me, but while I recall the major arc of Halo 1-3, I couldn't for the life of me tell you what happens in 4 or 5, and I haven't replayed any of them after the sequels were released.

Cortana gets sexualized, has a crush on MC, and then goes crazy.

Oh, and there is an ancient alien who has small penis syndrome when it comes to humans.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

Yes.

The antagonist in Halo 4 is presented as "OH MAN! LOOK WHO IT IS!!!!" :p 

I mean it is the first time anyone has seen a Forerunner. The species that gets talked about for an entire trilogy, about how they were this great race, had this immense technology, and creators of the Halo rings and ark.

The books focus more on the Flood war and the fall of the Forerunners. The Ur-Didact isn't even portrayed as a villain nor is he the main focus of the books. He believes the Halo rings go against everything the Mantle represents and works to halt their construction, when he fails the Iso-Didact and the Librarian have a back up plan to reseed all of the worlds and their species after the Halo rings fire.

2 minutes ago, Emperor Diocletian II said:

Did anyone REALLY give a rip about wanting the Forerunners to enter the scene?

Just wait, Halo 10 is going to have the precursors come back in their non-corrupted flood form and attempt to destroy the galaxy and make them look as bad as they did the Forerunners.

• Haha 1

Devs: Lets make an extinct alien race that was really amazing and set up a lot of cool things

Cool

Devs 5-9 years later: HEY YOU KNOW THAT ALIEN RACE WE TALKED ABOUT IN THE LORE WELL NOW THEY AREN'T EXTINCT ANYMORE LOL 

but y tho?

• Haha 2

22 minutes ago, Nokt said:

I mean it is the first time anyone has seen a Forerunner. The species that gets talked about for an entire trilogy, about how they were this great race, had this immense technology, and creators of the Halo rings and ark.

The books focus more on the Flood war and the fall of the Forerunners. The Ur-Didact isn't even portrayed as a villain nor is he the main focus of the books. He believes the Halo rings go against everything the Mantle represents and works to halt their construction, when he fails the Iso-Didact and the Librarian have a back up plan to reseed all of the worlds and their species after the Halo rings fire.

That's just it: his name was said as if everyone playing would instantly know who he was. 343 built Halo 4's story on people knowing information that was only in the books. It wasn't just about "oh, hey, Forerunners!".

I DESPISE the trend of "read the books" to understand the game. 

Maybe it isn't a trend but Gears, Halo, and WoW have all done this to the extreme. I have read the books for Halo and Gears, but it's shit that you "have" to. 

24 minutes ago, Emblazon said:

The level design in 5 was just... sooo bad. 

It was basically just a series of battle arenas linked together by empty corridors. It was the number one reason I didn't like Halo 5. It was like, enter big area, fight waves of bad guys, kill everything, walk to next big area. There was no pacing, no small skirmishes with scouts or small groups. Everything was "big battle, pause. Big battle, pause."

8 minutes ago, XxEvil AshxX said:

It was basically just a series of battle arenas linked together by empty corridors. It was the number one reason I didn't like Halo 5. It was like, enter big area, fight waves of bad guys, kill everything, walk to next big area. There was no pacing, no small skirmishes with scouts or small groups. Everything was "big battle, pause. Big battle, pause."

Big battle filled with bullet sponges and healers*

18 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

That's just it: his name was said as if everyone playing would instantly know who he was. 343 built Halo 4's story on people knowing information that was only in the books. It wasn't just about "oh, hey, Forerunners!".

Well excusing the fact that we don't even know which Didact is present in Halo 4 until 3rd book in the forerunner trilogy released months later.

What exactly gets told to the player through the books about him, the composer, the Prometheans, or the Librarian that would change the how the players who didn't perspective on the story? If we changed the Didact to Faber, would that have any meaningful changes to the plot of Halo 4?

It's still remarkable to me that 343i managed to create a character in...uhhhhhh...that guy whatshisname...y'know - the one who led the other Spartan team that didn't have Master Chief.  What the  hell was his name again?

Oh, that's right - Locke!

Yeah, it's still remarkable to me that 343i managed to create a character in Locke that somehow makes Master Chief seem positively telegenic in comparison!

4 minutes ago, Emperor Diocletian II said:

Yeah, it's still remarkable to me that 343i managed to create a character in Locke that somehow makes Master Chief seem positively telegenic in comparison!

Any and all of the six team mates that you had along side you in Halo 5 were more interesting than the characters you actually played as. Locke was pure government agent, the job is who he is, and Master Chief has never had a personality.

8 hours ago, Nokt said:

Well excusing the fact that we don't even know which Didact is present in Halo 4 until 3rd book in the forerunner trilogy released months later.

What exactly gets told to the player through the books about him, the composer, the Prometheans, or the Librarian that would change the how the players who didn't perspective on the story? If we changed the Didact to Faber, would that have any meaningful changes to the plot of Halo 4?

I don’t know because I haven’t read any of the books. I still don’t even know what a Didact is and assumed that was his name. Halo 4 and 5 both expected players to have knowledge outside the games. It’s REALLY weird you’re even arguing that point while apparently having read all the books and are using them as points of reference in your posts.

1 hour ago, Spork3245 said:

I don’t know because I haven’t read any of the books. I still don’t even know what a Didact is and assumed that was his name. Halo 4 and 5 both expected players to have knowledge outside the games. It’s REALLY weird you’re even arguing that point while apparently having read all the books and are using them as points of reference in your posts.

I'm trying to explain to you that its a misconception that they expected players to have knowledge outside of the game. Its just a poorly told story, but I appear to be doing it as poorly as the game did.

• Haha 1