~Official 2020 Congressional and State Races Thread~

2 hours ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

That part doesn't bother me: it was a word salad and she was filibustering for time.

But Markey was a House member of hers until he took over as Senator several years ago. Really hope the people of Massachusetts don't buy this.

10 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

That part doesn't bother me: it was a word salad and she was filibustering for time.

But Markey was a House member of hers until he took over as Senator several years ago. Really hope the people of Massachusetts don't buy this.

Pelosi still has a "no primarying incumbents" rule for House races (that's meant to suppress AOC types).

Former Chief of Staff of Olympia Snowe: "I can no longer support Sen. Susan Collins"

Sadly, I can no longer support Senator Susan Collins. She has proven unwilling to stand up to the President and too enamored of political power to speak up for the good people of Maine. I am tired of hearing about how “concerned” she is. These times demand strength and action and she has shown neither.

I put up with a lot of grief in Washington because I worked for a “moderate” Republican. And I swore for decades that I would not be driven out of my own party, despite what I saw as their best efforts to do so.

The election of Donald Trump, as a Republican, however, was the last straw. Trump chose the Republican party because there was an open slot not because he possessed any strong belief in the party and its’ policy goals, so, reluctantly, I changed my party registration.

Not because I wanted to leave my party, but when they nominated Trump to represent the Republicans as their presidential candidate, the GOP left me.

28 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

Sadly, I can no longer support Senator Susan Collins. She has proven unwilling to stand up to the President and too enamored of political power to speak up for the good people of Maine. I am tired of hearing about how “concerned” she is. These times demand strength and action and she has shown neither.

I put up with a lot of grief in Washington because I worked for a “moderate” Republican. And I swore for decades that I would not be driven out of my own party, despite what I saw as their best efforts to do so.

The election of Donald Trump, as a Republican, however, was the last straw. Trump chose the Republican party because there was an open slot not because he possessed any strong belief in the party and its’ policy goals, so, reluctantly, I changed my party registration.

Not because I wanted to leave my party, but when they nominated Trump to represent the Republicans as their presidential candidate, the GOP left me.

I am really kind of tired hearing this. The republican party has been the same and stood for the same shit since inception. This idea that Trump ruined the GOP is horseshit, its not racism or the homophobia or crushing the poor and downtrodden that caused them to leave its the fact he says the bad parts out loud and they have to face that they are miserable shit bags. Denounce the shit they so proudly stand for and Ill believe them but they wont.

Holy shit Kennedy is even more of a turd than I realized.

Recalling his days working as a state prosecutor when Massachusetts voted in 2008 to decriminalize marijuana, Kennedy said the decision affected the ability of police officers to search and seize other illegal items, such as guns, from vehicles.

“If you smelled [marijuana] in a car, you could search a car,” Kennedy said. “When it became decriminalized, you couldn’t do that.”

https://www.boston.com/news/politics/2018/03/08/joe-kennedy-iii-marijuana

More NY Times reporters on the live feed:

"Kennedy’s team wasn’t reckless — polls were telling them he could win. But they did not anticipate what an A.O.C. endorsement meant, what the Sunrise Movement meant.

Markey’s work on the Green New Deal, which he introduced last year with Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, was central in turning this race around for him."

17 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

A NY Times reporter:

"Those numbers are staggering. A Kennedy! In Somerville! Just trounced. He never answered the Why Run question for those voters, even outside of progressive policy."

I feel like anyone saying this hasn’t spoken to anyone in Somerville 40 or under. :p Maybe @NeoJoe has a different take since he has roots there and I lived there for about 15 years. People my age by and large don’t give a shit about the Kennedys and there are a lot of younger people in Somerville now. 

"In the 4th District race to replace Kennedy, Jessie Mermell has taken the lead. She’s a former Brookline select board member who was endorsed by Representative Ayanna Pressley."

6 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

I feel like anyone saying this hasn’t spoken to anyone in Somerville 40 or under. :p Maybe @NeoJoe has a different take since he has roots there and I lived there for about 15 years. People my age by and large don’t give a shit about the Kennedys and there are a lot of younger people in Somerville now. 

There's a lot of that on the feed. A few parts:

"There is still a deep reverence for the Kennedy name among older voters; I met women in their 60s or 70s who were clearly thrilled just to be in the room at Joe’s campaign events.

The Kennedy name is not working the same way with younger voters. To a lot of them, the name scans as privilege, entitlement."

41 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

This is the truth. I'm happy he lost.

• Thanks 2