~Official 2020 Congressional and State Races Thread~

Some of the results from yesterday. First the big one, Sessions loses primary race for his old seat. Former Auburn coach Tommy Tuberville will face Democratic Senator Doug Jones of Alabama.

Former Air Force pilot MJ Hegar defeats Royce West, 52.1% to 47.9%. She'll face Republican John Cornyn for the Senate seat in Texas. While Hegar won most counties in the state, I wouldn't say that it was a rural vs urban split. Hegar did well in rural areas for the western 2/3 of the state but also won in Austin, San Antonio, and El Paso, while West did well in rural areas to the east and also won in Dallas, Fort Worth, and Houston.

Maine House Speaker Sara Gideon easily won her primary with 70% of the vote. She'll face Republican Susan Collins and try to unseat the Senator in Maine.

Election-2020-Senate-Maine-2-scaled.jpg?

She gets a TON of backing in the form of $4 million:

Opposition to Collins, who ultimately voted to put Kavanaugh on the high court, took the form of more than $4 million in donations, including some made as recently as this week after Kavanaugh sided against a high-profile abortion rights decision. The company that raised it took about 8 percent off the top initially, but $3.7 million sits in the fund, waiting for Maine’s Democratic primary to be over in a fortnight.

The earmarked contributions, and their circuitous journey from donor to candidate and the conditions set out before the Kavanaugh vote, add an interesting twist in one of the nation’s priciest and most pivotal Senate contests. And they serve as a reminder of why Collins, who easily won reelection six years ago by 37 points, is among the most vulnerable Republican senators this cycle.

The Supreme Court, in a 5-4 decision Monday, overturned a controversial Louisiana law that would have severely limited the number of abortion clinics in the state. Kavanaugh, whose nomination fight in the Senate was dominated by a long-ago allegation of sexual assault, was among the justices on the losing side who would have upheld the restrictive law.

They are tying Collins heavily to Kavanaugh, especially after the vote he made.

Under-the-radar for most people except for those in this district: Candace Valenzuela wins Texas runoff, stands to be first Afro-Latina in Congress

200714-candace-valenzuela-jm-1037_5e9a97

Democrats consider the seat to be one of their best pickup opportunities in November.

Valenzuela's mother is Mexican American, and her father is Black. She was the first in her family to graduate from college, and she became an educator, working as a special needs teacher. Like many other Latinos, she started her political career on the school board, in Farmers Branch.

Valenzuela's mother, a daughter of Army veterans, fled domestic violence when she was young and lived in a shelter for victims of domestic violence.

10 hours ago, Emperor Diocletian II said:

Ec7g4Y8WsAE3UiB?format=jpg&name=large

OLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLO @ Tuscaloosa - that's great! :rofl:

I just looked at the update: Tuberville ended up winning! :-O

But maybe the college center voted for Sessions and surrounding precincts didn't.

Also, I saw this take:

I do feel Beto and Stacey Abrams had real shots in state races considering their great performances in 2018. I get the other side -- potentially losing two races in a row is a death knell nowadays (ask Scott Brown). I dunno if Ed Gillespie would consider running again in Virginia after losing his Senate race in a Republican year of 2014 and his governor's race in a Democratic year in 2017.

Hey guys, I've edited the OP to show the head-to-head races, and I've also added links so it's easier to find the information. Basically, I've bitched about official threads because it's hard to find info, so where possible, I've linked to the information either in the thread or on the web so it's easier to reference. Let me know what you think of some of the changes to the OP pretty please.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

Hey guys, I've edited the OP to show the head-to-head races, and I've also added links so it's easier to find the information. Basically, I've bitched about official threads because it's hard to find info, so where possible, I've linked to the information either in the thread or on the web so it's easier to reference. Let me know what you think of some of the changes to the OP pretty please.

Can you put it below the new content line thanks

4 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Can you put it below the new content line thanks

Here are some of the races getting national attention:

Alabama: Former Auburn coach Tommy Tuberville wins his primary against former Alabama Senator and US Attorney General Jeff Sessions. He'll face Democrat Doug Jones in a race that Jones is an underdog despite being an incumbent.

LxulFPi.png?1 vs uAaJEie.png

Arizona: Gun control activist and former astronaut Mark Kelly is running unopposed in his primary and is the likely nominee to face Republican incumbent Martha McSally.

nHOfGYD.png?1 vs rEuxpjW.png

Colorado: Former Democratic governor John Hickenlooper wins his primary and faces Republican incumbent Cory Gardner.

pjve2A2.png?1 vs 3m8a379.png

Iowa: Farmer and businesswoman Theresa Greenfield won her primary to face incumbent Republican Senator Joni Ernst.

mub1Uko.jpg?1 vs IuHnwlq.png?1

Kentucky: Former marine fighter pilot Amy McGrath won a competitive Democratic primary race to face Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell.

TxuAIjW.png?1 vs YXKjFsW.png?1

Maine: Democrat and Maine House Speaker Sara Gideon wins her primary to challenge incumbent SenatoSusan Collins

IzQrokQ.png?2 vs VFu8DJP.png

Montana: Current Democratic governor and former Montana Attorney General Steve Bullock easily won his primary. He faces incumbent Senator Steve Daines in the battle for Steven Supremacy.

mROs7ii.png?1 vs U62XZjP.png?1

Texas: Former air force pilot MJ Hegar wins her race in the Democratic primaryto run against Republican Senator John Cornyn

ZbrHWPr.png?1 vs PUfGf9m.png?1

• Haha 3

44 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

Hey guys, I've edited the OP to show the head-to-head races, and I've also added links so it's easier to find the information. Basically, I've bitched about official threads because it's hard to find info, so where possible, I've linked to the information either in the thread or on the web so it's easier to reference.

So basically you did it for yourself. So selfish. :talkhand:

• Haha 1

Added some more of the closely watched ones. I'll fill more in as more primaries are held and decided.

Georgia (general election): Along with a special election for the other Senate seat, Georgia is holding an election for this one as well. Jon Ossoff, an investigative journalist and media executive, is the Democratic nominee to face Republican Senator David Perdue (first cousin to former Georgia governor and Democrat-turned-Republican Sonny Perdue). Ossoff campaigned and lost in an unusually expensive and extremely competitive and close special election for a Georgia House seat in 2017. Despite being a safe seat for Republicans in recent history (it was in Republican hands, many times unopposed, since at least 2000, and easily voted Republican in 2016), the New York Times reported that in that race, Ossoff drove the strongest Democratic turnout in an off-year election in at least a decade. Side note: although Ossoff lost the race to Republican Karen Handel, Democrat Lucy McBath was able to defeat her in 2018.

gcNdJ7Z.png?1 vs PPLarYN.png?1

North Carolina: Current Republican Senator Thom Tillis beat former Democratic Senator Kay Hagan in a close race in 2014, a big Republican year. He's a vulnerable incumbent in a state that is still Republican-leaning nationally but has been more competitive since 2008, plus has a Democratic governor who won in 2016. He faces Democratic challenger Cal Cunningham, a former member of the North Carolina State Senate and lieutenant colonel in the U.S. Army Reserve.

pPQCNJP.png?1 vs pdyab6R.png?1

South Carolina: Former Chair of the South Carolina Democratic Party, Jaime Harrison, faced on primary opposition. He wants to unseat Republican incumbent Lindsey Graham. He's raised $20 million, not much less than Graham's $22 million. Harrison is casting Graham as an out-of-touch Washington insider who has ignored South Carolina's problems and instead played politics for years.

GCjAycx.png?1 vs bRlEw0p.png?1

Republican-turned-Independent Justin Amash will not seek reelection.

In April, Amash said in an interview with Reason magazine that he didn’t intend to return to his congressional campaign because he was focused on running for president. He announced in May, however, that he would not run for president this year after all, ending a short-lived exploratory campaign.