Modders patch Rollback Netcode into Smash Bros Melee

crispy4000

Not much to say without directly linking to it.  They’ve also modded in matchmaking.  It was mainly the work of one guy over 6 months.

I’m curious to see how it compares to Icons, which had 3vs3 rollback it’s final release that actually worked pretty well.

Oh, and wake the fuck up Nintendo.  No more excuses.

I'm not the world's best Melee player but I've been coaxed into playing netplay with some friends who are very competitive players. I tried this out today and it's a night and day difference between it and the previous versions of netplay. It's also a huge step forward in convenience since previously you had to go through a third party website to find people to play against but now it has easy matchmaking built in. This isn't just a step forward for Melee and netplay, it's a seismic shift that could greatly expand the competitive scene almost overnight.

20 minutes ago, The def star said:

Nintendo doesn't have to do a thing as their games will always sell by the millions. It's pretty much their philosophy.

Then people will stop paying for Nintendo Online.

That’s the bothersome thing about subscription gating for Nintendo.  They have to continually make an argument for it.  They can’t just keep flinging shit at the wall and hope people resub.

That goes for their recent announcements too:

’Here’s more DLC fighters for a game that continues to be no fun with friends during COVID!’

16 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

Then people will stop paying for Nintendo Online.

That’s the bothersome thing about subscription gating for Nintendo.  They have to continually make an argument for it.  They can’t just keep flinging shit at the wall and hope people resub.

That goes for their recent announcements too:

’Here’s more DLC fighters for a game that continues to be no fun with friends during COVID!’

There is little reason to pay for Nintendo online but people still pay for Nintendo online. I don't know anyone that plays Smash Bros Ultimate online due to the horrible net code. Most people I know got Nintendo online for the SNES and NES games. Do people need Nintendo online for Animal Crossing? Net code I'm sure is at the bottom of Nintendos list. 

Looks like the matchmaking servers are currently overloaded.

There are companies that care a lot more about their competitive scenes and online play than Nintendo that now have inferior online to this 19 year old Gamecube game.

4 minutes ago, The def star said:

There is little reason to pay for Nintendo online but people still pay for Nintendo online. I don't know anyone that plays Smash Bros Ultimate online due to the horrible net code. Most people I know got Nintendo online for the SNES and NES games. Do people need Nintendo online for Animal Crossing? Net code I'm sure is at the bottom of Nintendos list. 

I’d bet a lot more people subbed for Smash than anything else. Then they tried it.

55 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

I’d bet a lot more people subbed for Smash than anything else. Then they tried it.

I'm sure they would. As much as Smash is tournament level competitive it's sad that the online is so bad. I know as soon as my Nintendo online runs out I'm not renewing. I got the deal where twitch prime members got a year for free.

A good article from the past:

ArsTechnica: Explaining how fighting games use delay-based and rollback netcode

Rollback’s main strength is that it never waits for missing input from the opponent. Instead, rollback netcode continues to run the game normally. All inputs from the local player are processed immediately, as if it was offline. Then, when input from the remote player comes in a few frames later, rollback fixes its mistakes by correcting the past. It does this in such a clever way that the local player may not even notice a large percentage of network instability, and they can play through any remaining instances with confidence that their inputs are always handled consistently.

• Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, Emperor Diocletian II said:

@crispy4000 - could you explain to those of us who aren't familiar what "rollback netcode" means?

What AbsolutSurgen quoted.

Rollback is pretty much always preferable, especially for twitch games or those incorporating muscle memory.  Most genres use some form of it, but fighters feel especially worse without it, and it's said to be harder to incorporate in them.

Delay based net code is the alternative, and is what Nintendo uses in most of their games.  Mario Maker 2 is another example.  It's really bad if you don't live close by or someone has bad internet - the things Japan doesn't typically have to deal with.  Even though rollback would still make it better.

Smash games are notorious for having some of the worst delay-based netcode in any fighter.  Not just that, but controller response time has gotten worse in recent entries in local play.  Ironically, Melee should feel much better online with this than Smash Ultimate does offline.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Perhaps because they didn’t build the game with rollback in mind.

As cocky as Sakurai has acted in the past about other platform fighters, he would have to admit being bested.  Brawlhalla has had rollback netcode for ages.  Slippi has now modded it into Melee for 1vs1s.  There’s two more indie platform fighters in development, Slayers for Hire and Rushdown Revolt (formerly Icons), that both have rollback working as well.  The latter’s implementation so good that cross-continental play feels better than Smash Ultimate 1v1s with a neighbor.

I would just say blame Nintendo and Namco, but it’s no rational excuse.  They’re straight up getting outplayed here.  The full interview from Famitsu should drop soon.