Joel Schumacher passed away at 80

Despite having made some bad films, he made some really good ones too. I don't know how well some have aged, but I remember these all being good to great when I saw them over the years, now looking over his filmography:

-The Lost Boys

-Flatliners

-Falling Down

-The Client

-A Time to Kill

-8MM

-Tigerland

-Phone Booth

-Veronica Guerin

-The Phantom of the Opera

He stopped directing 7-8 years ago, but he left a solid body of work. 

30 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

I get Joel Schumacher and Jerry Bruckheimer mixed up, and I was going to say that I wonder if god was going to make Joel Schumacher get veneers before letting him into heaven... but that's Jerry Bruckheimer.

One way to maybe help distinguish them is Joel is a movie director and Jerry is a movie producer. 

2 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

Despite having made some bad films, he made some really good ones too. I don't know how well some have aged, but I remember these all being good to great when I saw them over the years, now looking over his filmography:

-The Lost Boys

-Flatliners

-Falling Down

-The Client

-A Time to Kill

-8MM

-Tigerland

-Phone Booth

-Veronica Guerin

-The Phantom of the Opera

He stopped directing 7-8 years ago, but he left a solid body of work. 

Seriously what's with all these headlines pointing out that he directed Batman movies? I guess because people see Batman in a headline and it catches their eye. He directed more than two bad Batman movies! I remember seeing trailers for Phone Booth and thinking, "that looks stupid", but then it was on TV one night and I decided to watch it, and it was actually pretty good. 

24 minutes ago, Brick said:

Seriously what's with all these headlines pointing out that he directed Batman movies? I guess because people see Batman in a headline and it catches their eye. He directed more than two bad Batman movies! I remember seeing trailers for Phone Booth and thinking, "that looks stupid", but then it was on TV one night and I decided to watch it, and it was actually pretty good. 

Yeah, just because they are more widely known, it's lame. Phone Booth was legit, and Tigerland (also starring Colin Farrell) is severely underrated. He made mediocre and bad films, but I think we should also focus on the good films he made too, if any. 

I saw Phone Booth...in a PHONE BOOTH! :dancing::lol:

Sorry, someone had to say it! Actually had forgotten he had directed that, and both Colin & Kiefer were tremendous in it!

Also, The Lost Boys is a classic for all time & 8MM is definitely one of my more favorite Cage flicks. 

16 hours ago, Brick said:

Agree.  The two batman movies in my opinion are some of his worst work.  I really enjoy some of the other movies on the list. 

I don’t think his Batman movies are as bad as they are commonly accepted to be. Maybe it’s because I have a taste for camp and theatricality so I can better appreciate what Schumacher was going for. And his stylized Gotham was way more fun to watch than Nolan’s vision of the the city.

The making of Batman & Robin on its DVD was always interesting because all the people interviewed talked about things that went wrong, things they were told by the higher ups, and ended with an apology from Schumacher:

Seemed like a sweet guy. Truth be told, he never made anything that I thought I absolutely had to see. Except Number 23, but then my friend told me his impression and I never watched it.

One of the issues that I don't hear raised with the Batman films is the addiction to reaction shots when someone bursts through something. Mr. Freezes bursts into the building after the credit car scene, medium shot or close up of the characters moving their heads to look. Batman comes to stop Freeze, go to close-up of Freeze turning to look. Pretty sure Forever had this as well.