Jump to content

Cobra Kai is moving to Netflix - Season 3 releasing EARLY: JANUARY 1ST 2021!


Recommended Posts

On 1/5/2021 at 10:41 AM, sexy_shapiro said:

It’s a sequel to the Karate Kid about two grown men who can’t give up a 30 year old high school rivalry. I’m not sure how it could work without fully embracing the cheese.

 

 

definitely wouldn't work without the cheese and it seems they know it

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hold up, so that dude Kreese saved was Terry from KK3? The pony tail villain guy? Kresse and him don't seem anywhere near the same age but I might just be remembering KK3 fuzzy. If so, then it makes that whole phone call and flashbacks more interesting to me.

 

They need to stop with the cringe inducing kids one shot brawls. It was awful in S2 and atrocious in S3. I appreciate the cheesiness when it comes to the adults and their drama but all the kids stuff annoys the heck out of me.

 

edit: Watching Tory fight is the worst. She's awful.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, NeoJoe said:

Hold up, so that dude Kreese saved was Terry from KK3? The pony tail villain guy? Kresse and him don't seem anywhere near the same age but I might just be remembering KK3 fuzzy. If so, then it makes that whole phone call and flashbacks more interesting to me.

 

They are very close in age in KK3. 

r2smxtu8t4n51.jpg?auto=webp&s=c57470ad25

 

They don't look very far apart in age to me, and Kreese was clearly already a bit older when he joined the army, whereas Terry could've been drafted at 18.

 

 

Quote

They need to stop with the cringe inducing kids one shot brawls. It was awful in S2 and atrocious in S3. I appreciate the cheesiness when it comes to the adults and their drama but all the kids stuff annoys the heck out of me.

 

edit: Watching Tory fight is the worst. She's awful.

 

This has some of the best fight choreography outside of Daredevil and The Punisher. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for that pic! I guess they are closer to age than I remembered. That should make for an interesting twist.

 

Did you seriously just compare the fight choreography in Cobra Kai to Daredevil??? Uh... as a martial artist and as a viewer, I'm totally perplexed by that. Power Rangers has better fight choreopgraphy than the crap CK is doing when the kids (or even adults) fights.

Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, NeoJoe said:

Thanks for that pic! I guess they are closer to age than I remembered. That should make for an interesting twist.

 

Did you seriously just compare the fight choreography in Cobra Kai to Daredevil??? Uh... as a martial artist and as a viewer, I'm totally perplexed by that. Power Rangers has better fight choreopgraphy than the crap CK is doing when the kids (or even adults) fights.


I’m a martial arts instructor and have been one for 12 years. If you think the choreography in CK is bad, I don’t know what to tell you. If you’re saying it’s bad because it’s unrealistic, I don’t think something has to be realistic to look or be good.

Link to post
Share on other sites

the fighting isn’t realistic and they’re not using real martial artists to do all the fighting. and the show is corny af so i feel like it all kinda fits. but it’s entertaining and the choreography is good. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, johnny said:

the fighting isn’t realistic and they’re not using real martial artists to do all the fighting. and the show is corny af so i feel like it all kinda fits. but it’s entertaining and the choreography is good. 


Bingo. It’s unrealistic as F and pure fantasy but the movements are good and the choreography is good - the fights are meant to be nonsensical, but that definitely doesn’t make them bad. Comparing it to power rangers is pretty extreme :p 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Dude, I don't even know what to tell you if you think this choreo is good. I've studied martial arts 23 years, 10 of those were studying Okinawa Goju Ryu which is what Miyagi Do is based off of. They're now introducing Okinawan Kobudo (weaponry) which I studied during that time too and they're massacring it.

 

The fighting and choreo done in DD was sick. I'm not saying it needs to be authentic in CK but if you as a martial artist are sitting there saying these fights are good then...

 

tenor.gif?itemid=5006634

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, NeoJoe said:

Dude, I don't even know what to tell you if you think this choreo is good. I've studied martial arts 23 years, 10 of those were studying Okinawa Goju Ryu which is what Miyagi Do is based off of. They're now introducing Okinawan Kobudo (weaponry) which I studied during that time too and they're massacring it.

 

The fighting and choreo done in DD was sick. I'm not saying it needs to be authentic in CK but if you as a martial artist are sitting there saying these fights are good then...

 

tenor.gif?itemid=5006634

 


LOL

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, NeoJoe said:

Dude, I don't even know what to tell you if you think this choreo is good. I've studied martial arts 23 years, 10 of those were studying Okinawa Goju Ryu which is what Miyagi Do is based off of. They're now introducing Okinawan Kobudo (weaponry) which I studied during that time too and they're massacring it.

 

The fighting and choreo done in DD was sick. I'm not saying it needs to be authentic in CK but if you as a martial artist are sitting there saying these fights are good then...

 

tenor.gif?itemid=5006634

 

i think we just have different expectations. i’m not expecting something from The Raid. 

 

to be clear i’m enjoying it, embracing the cheese, and also laughing at how absurd and fun some of these fights are. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, johnny said:

i think we just have different expectations. i’m not expecting something from The Raid. 

 

to be clear i’m enjoying it, embracing the cheese, and also laughing at how absurd and fun some of these fights are. 

I totally agree and I'm actually surprised at how the nostalgia of the show has me hooked into wanting to keep watching. My main issue is the show trying to do stuff like The Raid (just using it as a comparison since you brought it up), with its huge kid battles and one shot scenes. It's obvious DD was also an influence with its recent success. It goes from cheesy to cringe for me in CK. It doesn't help that all the kids in the show annoy me. lol

 

They did the huge school battle one shot thing in S2. The one in S3 felt repetitive and too "try hard".

 

Anyhoot, now I'm dying to know if they'll bring back the original actor for Terry and what he looks like these days. I'm sure they will since they've done it for practically every original actor. Was anyone else mind blown when they saw Elizabeth Shue? I knew the girl from KK and Back to the Future was the same actress but I never realized it was her in The Boys. I had a total "hold up, goes to IMDB" moment when I saw her on that couch. lol

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, NeoJoe said:

Dude, I don't even know what to tell you if you think this choreo is good. I've studied martial arts 23 years, 10 of those were studying Okinawa Goju Ryu which is what Miyagi Do is based off of. They're now introducing Okinawan Kobudo (weaponry) which I studied during that time too and they're massacring it.

 

The fighting and choreo done in DD was sick. I'm not saying it needs to be authentic in CK but if you as a martial artist are sitting there saying these fights are good then...

 

tenor.gif?itemid=5006634

 


In what way is it actually bad outside of being unrealistic?

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Spork3245 said:


In what way is it actually bad outside of being unrealistic?

 

I think CK is about as good as TV fights usually gets with the exception of DD and Punisher as you noted, but I do think it's worth remarking that while I hold that true, those two shows were also on another level from CK.

 

CK I think suffers too much from attacks that very clearly are not meant to land on their opponent; the actors are obviously throwing their punches and kicks. That's probably the hardest thing to get right in a choreography since you can't actually connect with any force :p but it feels very obvious fairly frequently.

 

Consider for example the final episode when

Spoiler

Robby is attacking Johnny and Johnny is mostly dodging the attacks. It's so fucking clear the punches are not meant to connect, he's basically just waving his hands in the air.

 

DD and Punisher are not immune from instances of that either, but on the whole they felt like they connected far more often.

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, legend said:

 

I think CK is about as good as TV fights usually gets with the exception of DD and Punisher as you noted, but I do think it's worth remarking that while I hold that true, those two shows were also on another level from CK.

 

CK I think suffers too much from attacks that very clearly are not meant to land on their opponent; the actors are obviously throwing their punches and kicks. That's probably the hardest thing to get right in a choreography since you can't actually connect with any force :p but it feels very obvious fairly frequently.

 

Consider for example the final episode when

  Hide contents

Robby is attacking Johnny and Johnny is mostly dodging the attacks. It's so fucking clear the punches are not meant to connect, he's basically just waving his hands in the air.

 

DD and Punisher are not immune from instances of that either, but on the whole they felt like they connected far more often.


The “missed hits” were much more glaring in some cases this season, I agree. I don’t think that actually makes it “bad” or that “Power Rangers has better fight choreopgraphy than the crap CK is doing”. :p 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

legend hit the nail on the head. Also the flows of the fights just look dumb imo. The long fight sequences worked for other netflix shows, I just think they're trying too hard in CK to be like other shows in that regard. Watch the S3 final brawl again but actually pay attention to what's happening in the background. It's embarrassing.

 

I've choreographed many fights for demo purposes and I always found the most important challenges were flow, believability and "flash". None of which the CK kid fights are hitting for me. I'll give credit were I think credit is due, that kid who plays Hawk seems like he has a clue. Robbie and Tory are the worst. Tory has now has two dramatic "I'm gonna hit this bag cause I'm angry" scenes and they are so bad. I'm sure she's trying her best but oof. 

 

Oddly enough when the adults fight, I lean into the cheese but once the kids start to go at it, it turns into cringe for me. The fight legend brought up, for example, when Johnny and Kreese were fighting, they obviously had a stunt double for Kreese, which was fine. Even when Daniel came in it was neat. But when Robbie jumped in... immediate eye roll difference. Robbie stahp.

 

I was being a tiny bit facetious with the Power Rangers comparison since it's obviously a show for children but at least the Power Rangers were good at their flows and flash. hehe

 

edit: I want to acknowledge that I'm totally aware I'm being overly critical. It's hard not to be when I'm such a fan of the original movies and loved the homage it paid to the art I studied and helped me when I was Daniel's age. Often times people don't know Karate has many styles and branches. Miyagi Do being the movies version of Goju Ryu really gets me. The fact that they all do the beginning of a form called Seiyunchin pulls at my heart strings. I won a tournament doing that form when I was 17. (A forms tournament! Not a fighting tournament and I did that like in KK3! lol Which to this day I still think is hysterical)

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, NeoJoe said:

Thanks for that pic! I guess they are closer to age than I remembered. That should make for an interesting twist.

 

Did you seriously just compare the fight choreography in Cobra Kai to Daredevil??? Uh... as a martial artist and as a viewer, I'm totally perplexed by that. Power Rangers has better fight choreopgraphy than the crap CK is doing when the kids (or even adults) fights.

 

20 hours ago, Spork3245 said:


I’m a martial arts instructor and have been one for 12 years. If you think the choreography in CK is bad, I don’t know what to tell you. If you’re saying it’s bad because it’s unrealistic, I don’t think something has to be realistic to look or be good.

 

 

 

jds-cain_staredown_weigh_ins.0.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Chairslinger said:

 

 

 

 

jds-cain_staredown_weigh_ins.0.jpg

 

:lol: 

 

I hope Spork knows I love him and respect his opinion. I watch this show with too much of a critical eye (see edit above) which I hate because it makes me enjoy the show less. Gimme all the nostalgia and adult conflict. Just ease off the kid's fights and drama.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, NeoJoe said:

legend hit the nail on the head.


Oh, great, then you agree that:

1 hour ago, legend said:

CK is about as good as TV fights usually gets with the exception of DD and Punisher


 :p 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:


Oh, great, then you agree that:


 :p 

You're lucky cause I honestly can't think of a show or series that would be in between SO FINE. :p

 

edit: Oh oh How about Iron Fist? haha

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, NeoJoe said:

You're lucky cause I honestly can't think of a show or series that would be in between SO FINE. :p


It honestly just sounds like you’re against kids fighting, which is fine, because the fights for the adults and teens have the same choreography team being used and generally have the same flow (could also be that, as a fan, you’re more invested in the movie-characters). The fights in S3 were the “worst” of the series by far, and I’m sure a lot of it had to do with budget restraints. :sun: 

Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:


It honestly just sounds like you’re against kids fighting, which is fine, because the fights for the adults and teens have the same choreography team being used and generally have the same flow (could also be that, as a fan, you’re more invested in the movie-characters). The fights in S3 were the “worst” of the series by far, and I’m sure a lot of it had to do with budget restraints. :sun: 

 

It's not so much me against kids fighting as it is to the extent the kids are fighting. These kids seem like they're on murderous rages as opposed to school fights. I understand what you're saying about the same team leading the adults and kids but I feel there's a big difference when watching the kids and adults fight. Maybe it's a talent/experience thing? But I also think the scenarios these kids are fighting in is a bit much. Laser tag brawl? Ugh ok fine. Throw a child through your kitchen window and gonna murder you all in your own home? A bit much. lol

Link to post
Share on other sites

The fights in the last two finales are so bat shit over the top that I can’t stop smiling while I watch them. When the kid goes through the window I literally laughed “Holy Shit hahaha”

Link to post
Share on other sites

Cheese is an essential ingredient of Cobra Kai, but season 1 had just the right amount of it and was balanced with heart. The heart is still around for season 3, but it maybe leans a little too much into the cartoonish for some parts. It was still a very entertaining season though. I hope the writers have an end goal in mind instead of just needlessly keeping the story going to pump out more seasons.

Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, sexy_shapiro said:

Cheese is an essential ingredient of Cobra Kai, but season 1 had just the right amount of it and was balanced with heart. The heart is still around for season 3, but it maybe leans a little too much into the cartoonish for some parts. It was still a very entertaining season though. I hope the writers have an end goal in mind instead of just needlessly keeping the story going to pump out more seasons.

 

I'm hopeful that they do. Honestly, feels like they could wrap it up next season with where the characters ended up at the end of season 3 and I would be 100% okay with that.

Link to post
Share on other sites

This show has the worst fucking writing and is objectively terrible. I love it. I need S4 right now. The more of Johnny Lawrence we get the more I realize he's my spirit animal in a lot of ways.

 

Regarding the fight choreography I don't have much to say besides the fact that it's cheesey like the rest of the show. And ironically Ralph Macchio--the Fuckin' OG karate kid--is the worst of them all. Still love him, though.

 

I can't believe all the talk about season 3 so far hasn't mentioned Ali finally showing up. I like the juxtaposition of the message with her: it was fun reliving teenage years for a moment, but those times are past and we've got our own lives now... In a show all about the nostalgia and flashing back and making kids continue your high school rivalry. I really do like that. I'm glad Johnny is sticking with Carmen though. 

 

So many great moments this season. I've actually never seen Karate Kid 2 or 3, but they did such a good job of splicing that footage in that you get all the context you need. And when Chozen shows up it's played perfectly between the end of that episode and the start of the next. I loved all of Johnny's methods to get Miguel walking again. I mean if Dee Snyder and a porno mag weren't going to do it then there's no way Miguel was going to walk again. And the fight at the house in the finale was awesome.

 

It looks like season 4 is going to be the last season. Is that confirmed anywhere?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...