COBRA KAI - Official Thread - Season 4 now streaming on Netflix

Holy crap, just finished it last night. Oh my word, this was just fantastic. There’s no way in hell I’m going beyond my free month of YouTube Red/Premium/Whatever because $16/month for what they’re offering is laughable, but I sure as heck will purchase a single month in 2019 when S2 of Cobra Kai comes out!

The one thing that I really didn’t like and have to criticize was/is Miguel and pretty much all of the Cobra Kai students suddenly becoming a bunch of jerks at the end. Hawk/Lip made sense, as it was someone who was always picked on who felt weak suddenly having power, but for all of them to become douches? I dunno - Miguel’s felt kinda out of nowhere in that final ep. I get he was angry and all that with Robby, but :shrug: 

Anyway, my criticism is overall minor. I just felt that after getting Johnny’s perspective from the first movie that the Cobra Kai kids really should have been the “misunderstood good guys” and not the jerks that everyone kept saying they were. Regardless, can hardly wait for S2!!!! :sun: 

59 minutes ago, Emblazon said:

Still the best thing I've seen this year. What I'm going to do next year is cancel my DTV, and subscribe to YouTube TV, which is $40/month and includes all original YouTube series. 

Yea, the live TV streaming is where it kinda makes sense. $16 per month on its own is pretty steep considering that their original content is pretty lacking/craptacular :p 

13 minutes ago, Slug said:

I watched it for the first time this past weekend and ended up doing it all in one sitting.  So terrific.

Reveal hidden contents

There’s no reason to use a spoiler tag since this thread is marked for spoilers and that was also my untagged complaint in the OP :p 

:hug:

19 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

There’s no reason to use a spoiler tag since this thread is marked for spoilers and that was also my untagged complaint in the OP :p 

:hug:

My bad. :P

Yeah that's really the angle the bugged me the most.  As soon as Miguel angrily cracked open that first beer at the beach party you knew it was going to go south.  Most cringey foreshadowing ever.

43 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

Yea, the live TV streaming is where it kinda makes sense. $16 per month on its own is pretty steep considering that their original content is pretty lacking/craptacular :p 

That also includes their music, no ads, and functionality with the mobile screen off. When you factor in all that, it's not too bad. 

Not saying I'd pay for it, though. :p

47 minutes ago, Slug said:

My bad. :P

Yeah that's really the angle the bugged me the most.  As soon as Miguel angrily cracked open that first beer at the beach party you knew it was going to go south.  Most cringey foreshadowing ever.

Yea, I was hoping they were going to go a different route with it and Miguel apologizes to Sam (which he initially began to) explaining why he was so upset and admitting that he shouldn't have tried to physically fight with her accepting and understanding his anger/frustration due to her hiding their relationship and appearing with another guy who is constantly at her house. Instead, it seems like they're just trying to rehash the events of the first movie from Johnny's point of view (Johnny is with Allie, they have a fight, Johnny is waiting for things to cool down before trying to work things out, Daniel comes in and starts making a move on her, Johnny gets angry and attacks him starting a feud). :/ 

41 minutes ago, Emblazon said:

That also includes their music, no ads, and functionality with the mobile screen off. When you factor in all that, it's not too bad. 

Not saying I'd pay for it, though. :p

No, it's still really bad compared to something like Hulu, Netflix or Amazon. The best is that YouTube apps used to be able to continue playing with the screen off or the app in the bg, but then they disabled it to lock it behind a paywall. $10/month would be more acceptable. The YouTube ads are a max of 30 seconds anyway or they're skippable. The live TV broadcasts alongside the other content/features for $40/month is where it's a decent value, but $16 just for Red/Premium... OLO!

The series is overall fantastic. I wrote in the original thread I made for this about how perfect it was to see Johnny as a B-league loser - watching Iron Eagle for emotional support instead of Top Gun; listening to Poison instead of Motley Crue (etc). But like most every forum poster from that thread, and this one, I had my minor nitpicks:

-I didn't like that the Larusso daughter was some expert karate girl with that end kick

-I didn't like Johnny's son somehow being this master karate dude with only weeks of Larusso training behind him

-I didn't like how the end tournament didn't show off more Kobra Kai kids dominating

-I didn't like how Creese showed up at the end.

I'm hopeful that season two brings back Karate's Bad Boy Mike Barnes and Terry Silver in some capacity. Even bringing back some of the people from part 2 (I don't remember their names) would be nice, cuz that movie was basically a "you're white and trash" message about Larusso's karate, lol

On 8/14/2018 at 1:26 PM, Spork3245 said:

Holy crap, just finished it last night. Oh my word, this was just fantastic. There’s no way in hell I’m going beyond my free month of YouTube Red/Premium/Whatever because $16/month for what they’re offering is laughable, but I sure as heck will purchase a single month in 2019 when S2 of Cobra Kai comes out!

The one thing that I really didn’t like and have to criticize was/is Miguel and pretty much all of the Cobra Kai students suddenly becoming a bunch of jerks at the end. Hawk/Lip made sense, as it was someone who was always picked on who felt weak suddenly having power, but for all of them to become douches? I dunno - Miguel’s felt kinda out of nowhere in that final ep. I get he was angry and all that with Robby, but :shrug: 

Anyway, my criticism is overall minor. I just felt that after getting Johnny’s perspective from the first movie that the Cobra Kai kids really should have been the “misunderstood good guys” and not the jerks that everyone kept saying they were. Regardless, can hardly wait for S2!!!! :sun: 

I'm pretty sure that we're going to see Kreeses character take those kids and amp up their negativity which will make it even better to see how Johnny reacts so i Kinda think it made sense for the audience to see a bot more of it prior to his introduction.

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Finished it last night. S2 was great but I think S1 was a tiny bit better. That last ep was phenomenal, though.

The one thing that bugs me is that it constantly relies on "convenience" for the plot/story with characters going out of character just for the scene and fall-out. ie: Season 1 with all of the Cobra Kai kids suddenly acting like jerks out of nowhere in the final ep. 

38 minutes ago, legend said:

I enjoyed it! The true villain of the story was the school administration. They should all lose their jobs.

I lol’d pretty hard at “Stingray” saying to the principal “watch out, sir, I got this!” :lol: 

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

This show just proves how you're supposed to handle a beloved franchise with aged actors mixing with new actors - treat everyone respectful, make sure older fans get what they want, and ensure that the new actors do nothing to step on the toes of the legacy that they're now apart of. I don't ever see Kreese, Johnny, or Daniel denouncing their karate background, hating the new characters for no explained reasons, and simply dying like farts in the wind at the end of a lackluster story arc. I absolutely love this show!

• 1 year later...

https://ew.com/tv/cobra-kai-netflix-season-3/

Also, it seems that Season 3 finished filming in 2019 and should be coming "soon" (no official release date yet, though).

Cobra Kai — the TV-series sequel to the Karate Kid saga, which premiered on YouTube in 2018 — is moving to Netflix later this year. The announcement comes less than a month after news broke that YouTube had released the series back to Sony Pictures Television, which produces the half-hour dramedy.

YouTube has been pulling back on its scripted programming lineup since last year, after launching a slate of originals in 2018. Cobra Kai, which follows the renewed rivalry between Karate Kid enemies Daniel LaRusso (Ralph Macchio) and Johnny Lawrence (William Zabka) in modern-day Encino, Calif., generated a large fan following and received two Emmy nominations for stunt coordination.

Also, looks like Sony may want to "expand" the universe and create multiple shows.

• Thanks 1

I liked the first two episodes of season 1 that you could watch for free, but not enough to pay for a sub when all their other content looked like trash. I’m also too lazy to pirate. This is good news!