New Pokemon Snap (30 April 2021) - Information Thread (update: Gameplay and reviews!)

Pikachu

https://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/new-pokemon-snap-switch/

Photograph Pokémon in their natural habitats as you adventure through unknown islands!

Seek out and take in-game pictures of Pokémon in their native environments in the New Pokémon™ Snap game, only for the Nintendo Switch™ system! You'll even discover behaviors and expressions you've never seen before when you encounter and research lively wild Pokémon.

Explore environments, take in-game pictures and fill your Pokémon Photodex

Travel to unknown islands with beautiful scenery like lush jungles and sandy beaches. The Pokémon pictures you take there will be used to build your very own Pokémon Photodex!

This brand-new game brings the gameplay of the 1999 Pokémon Snap game for the Nintendo 64™ system to life on the Nintendo Switch system with unknown islands to discover and different Pokémon to see!

Photograph lively wild Pokémon in their natural habitats as you research and explore unknown islands. Journey through a variety of environments such as beaches and jungles to capture previously-unseen Pokémon behaviors. The photos you take can also be used to fill out your very own Pokémon Photodex!

• See a different side of Pokémon in a new photo-snapping adventure, only on Nintendo Switch
  • Research various Pokémon in their natural habitats and capture Pokémon behaviors that you’ve never seen before
  • Explore unknown islands with scenery like lush jungles and tropical beaches throughout your journey
  • Take in-game photos to make your very own Pokémon Photodex

spacer.png

Switch_NewPokemonSnap_02.jpg

Switch_NewPokemonSnap_03.jpg

Switch_NewPokemonSnap_04.jpg

Switch_NewPokemonSnap_05.jpg

Switch_NewPokemonSnap_06.jpg

40 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

There was more than this to unpack in the Pokemon Direct. How about Pokemon Smile?

I know. There was Pokemon Cafe Mix and some Pokemon GO announcements as well, but I stopped posting mobile stuff since most people don't seem to care about it.

3 hours ago, Brick said:

Funny how the graphics look better than Sword and Shield. 

I wonder if while holding the Switch in handheld mode you hold and move it around like a camera. 

The graphics don't just look better, they look like a generational leap over the fucking pig slop that was Sword and Shield. Seriously, how they were satisfied with the game being so friggin' ugly is beyond me. It was so lifeless and stiff.

Bangin' soundtrack, though.

Anyway, I always liked Pokemon Snap. Can't wait to play this and Paper Mario!

2 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

The graphics don't just look better, they look like a generational leap over the fucking pig slop that was Sword and Shield. Seriously, how they were satisfied with the game being so friggin' ugly is beyond me. It was so lifeless and stiff.

Sword and Shield is the first main series generation that I have ever skipped because of just how lazy, and poor the whole thing looked. I really hope the next generation can actually push the series forward. 

6 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

There best thing from that trailer is that the Pokemon actually scale right. I don't understand how, in a game with Pokemon forms a mile tall, they can't get the scaling of like wailord right.

It really seemed like major components of the story were missing, too. Marnie seemed like a potentially really interesting character, even had a tune that conveyed some different emotions that reflected how she acted, but she was just kinda... there. She was the focus of Team Yell but she was just... there. There was no conclusion or arc or anything. And stuff like having a gym leader is who is the lead singer of a band getting a cutscene where he sings WITH NO VOICE ACTING OR EVEN FAKE VOICES was the closest thing to insanity I've ever felt while playing a video game. Did they plan voice acting at one point and just not have time? There's no way they thought this would be acceptable if they hadn't planned on voice acting to begin with!

3 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

There best thing from that trailer is that the Pokemon actually scale right. I don't understand how, in a game with Pokemon forms a mile tall, they can't get the scaling of like wailord right.

That actually bugged the hell out of me. Like you said, the entire big new system of the game was "yo look how big we can make these Pokemon" but Pokemon that should've been that big to begin with were shrunk to comically small levels. The whole POINT of wailord is that he's fucking huge! Having Pokemon with hugely different  size scales would be super interesting visually! I guess maybe they think it would look silly to hit something that big, but even that can't be the case because, again, Dynamax! ARGH!!!

1 hour ago, Xbob42 said:

That actually bugged the hell out of me. Like you said, the entire big new system of the game was "yo look how big we can make these Pokemon" but Pokemon that should've been that big to begin with were shrunk to comically small levels. The whole POINT of wailord is that he's fucking huge! Having Pokemon with hugely different  size scales would be super interesting visually! I guess maybe they think it would look silly to hit something that big, but even that can't be the case because, again, Dynamax! ARGH!!!

Well, at least the scaling of Pokemon in the wild area of Isle of Armor is right. Wailord was visible huge it at sea and I rode my bike over to him and caught him in a net. He's still too small in actual battles so that's the only time you can see him scaled right.

Also, I can't describe how lazy it is that nobody in the expansion seems to know you're the current champion.

1 minute ago, Ghost_MH said:

Also, I can't describe how lazy it is that nobody in the expansion seems to know you're the current champion.

No, it's accurate because the island works like Nintendo: They're cut off from all outside information.

5 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

Well, at least the scaling of Pokemon in the wild area of Isle of Armor is right. Wailord was visible huge it at sea and I rode my bike over to him and caught him in a net. He's still too small in actual battles so that's the only time you can see him scaled right.

I think they did that because you can play it pretty much anytime during the game. But yeah I was like I’m the champion and saved this damn region and nobody knows me wtf. 

1 minute ago, johnny said:

I think they did that because you can play it pretty much anytime during the game. But yeah I was like I’m the champion and saved this damn region and nobody knows me wtf. 

Yes and plenty of games get around that by just including two slightly different scripts. They don't even have to record two sets of lines from every actor since there isn't even any voice acting. That's why I called it lazy.

It looks like it's still going to be on rails :(

I would love for it to have some freeroaming, with no info to go by except a pokedex or something. In other words, if you want to photo X pokemon, you gotta physically go where they would be. Kinda like a hunting game, but ya know, without all the shooting and killing.

It's just the photographer in me, but I would also love a "pro" mode where the camera and lenses actually behave like real cameras/lenses, and you gotta make sure your settings are right to get a good shot (or give the freedom to get creative with your apertures/shutter speeds.)

One of the things I hate about practically every Photo Mode in every game ever is that the settings don't act like they really should. 

3 hours ago, Brick said:

Sword and Shield is the first main series generation that I have ever skipped because of just how lazy, and poor the whole thing looked. I really hope the next generation can actually push the series forward. 

Maybe if they come out with a more current system but I wouldn't hold my breath for that anytime soon. 

18 minutes ago, XxEvil AshxX said:

It looks like it's still going to be on rails :(

I mean, I don't disagree with anything you said, but being on-rails was a core mechanic of the game, allowing them to focus on density of things happening in a short window and allowing the player to focus on interacting with Pokemon within a set window of time.

At least for the first sequel Snap is getting, I'm totally fine with this. But I would also love a free roam mode, or, if we get a sequel, an expanded, explorable world. Lot of potential within this weird little genre.

2 hours ago, Ghost_MH said:

Yes and plenty of games get around that by just including two slightly different scripts. They don't even have to record two sets of lines from every actor since there isn't even any voice acting. That's why I called it lazy.

They even screwed up having a Pokémon follow behind you. They all lag way behind. 

25 minutes ago, Remarkableriots said:

Maybe if they come out with a more current system but I wouldn't hold my breath for that anytime soon. 

That's not even the problem. They could wait for the Switch 2 sure, or if they do the ninth gen on Switch again they could give us the proper Switch game that we all invisioned when we thought about how Pokémon could take advantage of the power of the Switch. Instead they treated these games as another handheld gen, which maybe they started as on the 3DS, but it's still no excuse for the lack of gameplay innovation, handholding, and complete lack of challenge. 

8 minutes ago, johnny said:

They even screwed up having a Pokémon follow behind you. They all lag way behind. 

Do they? I thought it was just the slow Pokemon that couldn't keep up. Well, that sucks.

Here's the thing, I really like Pokemon. I'm out at the ocean after catching a giant wailord and then get immediately chased by a sharpedo and it's everything I've ever wanted in a Pokemon game some I was a kid. It's just a shame so much if it is lazy.

Say what you will about image quality or framerate, but Monolithsoft figured out the whole scale of giant and tiny monsters sharing a huge open world where you fight them right then and there in that open world with minimal loading screens on the Wii U. It's just an issue of effort.

@johnny it looks like only slow Pokemon can't keep up and lag behind. I just tried it myself. Cinderace can keep up while I'm on foot, but falls behind if I get on my bike. Zacian is so fast, they not only catch up while on my bike it has to slow down to not go past me.

I think they handled the running speed of Pokemon fine here.

6 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

@johnny it looks like only slow Pokemon can't keep up and lag behind. I just tried it myself. Cinderace can keep up while I'm on foot, but falls behind if I get on my bike. Zacian is so fast, they not only catch up while on my bike it has to slow down to not go past me.

I think they handled the running speed of Pokemon fine here.

My bad then. I tried a few of my Pokémon and was disappointed. 

This dlc is so damn short too and a big lack of trainer battles. 

11 hours ago, Nokt said:

Do people really enjoy snap that much? I remember playing the original, I played probably the first 2 levels and never touched it again.

Yes! It's a really chill and relaxing game. I remember when they had the kiosks in Blockbusters where you could print out your pictures. Those were good times.

• 6 months later...
  • Pikachu changed the title to New Pokemon Snap (30 April 2021) - Information Thread (update: New trailer!)
On 6/17/2020 at 9:44 PM, Nokt said:

Do people really enjoy snap that much? I remember playing the original, I played probably the first 2 levels and never touched it again.

That's kinda how I feel. I rented it from Blockbuster ( ! ) and beat the entire thing in a weekend. It was just "ok" at best, but it has a fanbase that truly loves it. And I don't understand why. 

I'm going to pick this new game up on release (because I'm an idiot). Hopefully this time around I'll "get" it.

• 1 month later...