New RX 5700 XT just stops functioning when i install the drivers.

Also put in a new power supply due to the need of 2 8 pins, but i don't think thats an issue because the old 6950 i have as a back up needs 2 6 pins and functions perfectly.  I've tried everything, windows reset, wipe the display drivers, cleaned Monitor registry, swapped HDMI cables, updated bios/chipset, set PCIe as default graphics in bios along with setting them to PCIe 3.0 default, manually installing the drivers to avoid AMDs software and nothing.  As the drivers install once it gets to the first flicker the fans stop and the display signal drops out, the LED lights on the card stay lit though, the computer doesn't lock up because i can just press power and it shuts down normally and on boot up the display works till after the windows load screen where it just goes black again, and again i can just start the shut down with the power button.  Every time i do this i have to install the 6950 and wipe the drivers and then reinstall the 5700 xt which loads into windows just fine till i attempt to install the drivers where it again just shuts down while the PC appears to function normally with no display.  

Basically i've run out of ideas from internet searches and wondering if anyone here has dealt with it or has anything else i could try?  Support is down on the weekend for MSI so nothing else i can do till monday.

24 minutes ago, Emperor Diocletian II said:

Is there a way to test the old PSU with the 5700XT to fully eliminate the new PSU as the point of failure?

I'd have to buy some type of adapter to get another 8 pin PCIe connector, which i suppose would be ok if i'm not running it permanently like that.  In theory the old PSU is strong enough, i think its a 650 and the card recommends 600, just didn't enough the right connectors, but i feel like if the PSU was at fault the 6950 would also fail, which required a 500w, but the 6950 also works fine underload in games where it might actually need all that juice.

8 minutes ago, SimpleG said:

Are you on a monitor or tv?

Monitor, an older one without an HDMI, so i use an adapter, but again worked fine with the card that died, and works fine with the 6950.

Also my card that died does absolutely nothing, the LEDs light up but that seems to be powered up seperately, its completely dead otherwise.

Did you try different/older version of the drivers?

The 5700XT does require about 100W more power than a 6950, but more importantly due to implementations of clockspeed boost technologies a power supply does need to respond quickly when the power load varies. This is called the transient response. While I do not think the power supply is the issue here, we can't 100% rule it out because the 6950 does not implement a boost feature that will stress the transient response, and it doesn't require as high of a load.

What exactly is the make/model of the old and new power supplies?

Also what's the model of your motherboard and CPU?

1 minute ago, cusideabelincoln said:

Did you try different/older version of the drivers?

The 5700XT does require about 100W more power than a 6950, but more importantly due to implementations of clockspeed boost technologies a power supply does need to respond quickly when the power load varies. This is called the transient response. While I do not think the power supply is the issue here, we can't 100% rule it out because the 6950 does not implement a boost feature that will stress the transient response, and it doesn't require as high of a load.

What exactly is the make/model of the old and new power supplies?

Also what's the model of your motherboard and CPU?

See above, hooked to a new TV with a brand new cable and its fine.  What i need to know now is whats a decent monitor.

6 minutes ago, PaladinSolo said:

So i hooked it up to a TV i got within the last 5 months and with brand new HDMI cables that i had already tried on the monitor.  So now i have to buy a monitor?  lol..... like why is this a thing...

Whoa it's working now?  What kind adapter were you using?  HDMI to DVI?  Displayport to DVI?  Or were you going to VGA?

Jesus, for some reason when I read the OP I thought your entire system was locking up.  But it's not, so now my theory is for some reason the driver install is detecting the display wrong and probably sending the wrong resolution or wrong refresh rate and your old monitor just can't handle it.

So if it's STILL not working, I would suggest trying to boot into safe mode.  If you can boot into safe mode, then that would support the theory the drivers aren't detecting the right refresh rate for your monitor.  Probably trying 30 hz, or maybe 59.97 Hz, which modern videos like to do when it detects an HDMI connection and is assuming it's an HDTV.

5 minutes ago, PaladinSolo said:

Well I will definitely have to try cause the wife isn't going to let me keep it here, lol.

Before swapping, try setting the resolution and refresh rate to your monitor's native one.  Right now the drivers probably set a 59.97 refresh rate.  And then hope that sticks when swapping over, lol.

5 minutes ago, cusideabelincoln said:

Jesus, for some reason when I read the OP I thought your entire system was locking up.  But it's not, so now my theory is for some reason the driver install is detecting the display wrong and probably sending the wrong resolution or wrong refresh rate and your old monitor just can't handle it.

So if it's STILL not working, I would suggest trying to boot into safe mode.  If you can boot into safe mode, then that would support the theory the drivers aren't detecting the right refresh rate for your monitor.  Probably trying 30 hz, or maybe 59.97 Hz, which modern videos like to do when it detects an HDMI connection and is assuming it's an HDTV.

Yeah, the thing that was throwing me off was the fans completely stopping, but they aren't running now and everything is fine, so it really was just connectivity issue with the monitor.

5 hours ago, SimpleG said:

Did you use the adapter previously ? I would try a different monitor or a tv next and remove the adapter. 

2 hours ago, PaladinSolo said:

So i hooked it up to a TV i got within the last 5 months and with brand new HDMI cables that i had already tried on the monitor.  So now i have to buy a monitor?  lol..... like why is this a thing...

tumblr_m6x0mbUO0U1r13ingo1_500.gif