Bugsnax (12 November 2020) - Information Thread, update: coming to Steam in 2022

Epic Games Store page

Bugsnax takes you on a whimsical adventure to Snaktooth Island, home of the legendary half-bug half-snack creatures, Bugsnax. Invited by intrepid explorer Elizabert Megafig, you arrive to discover your host nowhere to be found, her camp in shambles, and her followers scattered across the island alone... and hungry!

It's up to you to solve the mysteries of Snaktooth Island: What happened to Lizbert? What are Bugsnax and where do they come from? But most of all, why do they taste SO GOOD?

From the minds behind Octodad: Dadliest Catch comes Bugsnax, a whimsical adventure game coming to PlayStation 5, PlayStation 4, and Epic Games Store holiday 2020. 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • Pikachu changed the title to Bugsnax (from the creators of Octodad) (12 November 2020) - Information Thread (Update: Bugsnax has gone gold!)
3 hours ago, stepee said:

I guess “just a fun game” sounds really good right now. I really enjoyed Octodad, and this looks like a fantastic world to get lost in.

Also playing this high will be amazing.

Fair enough.

36 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

All the hype came from the Kero Kero Bonito song

Sigh... I so want to unhear that.

• Guillotine 1

• 4 weeks later...

Game Information

Game Title: Bugsnax

Platforms:

• PlayStation 5 (Nov 12, 2020)
  • PlayStation 4 (Nov 12, 2020)
  • PC (Nov 12, 2020)

Developer: Young Horses

Review Aggregator

OpenCritic - 76 average - 61% recommended

Critic Reviews

COGconnected - 90 / 100

The intriguing mysteries, colorful characters to befriend, and overall charm in everything from the voice acting to the design of the different Bugsnax makes this game a true winner. It vaguely feels like Pokémon for the new generation, and both children and adults will find a lot to love here. The controls are easy to master, the gameplay is superb, and there’s a lot to do on the reasonably-sized map. If you are what you eat, then I’m the happiest Cinnasnail this side of Snaktooth Island has ever seen.

GameSpew - 9 / 10

Bugsnax is a joyful, lovely experience from start to finish.

God is a Geek - 9 / 10

Bugsnax offers thrilling gameplay with a poignant story about community and hope that continues to keep you engrossed throughout. The plethora of bugsnax are well-designed and different, allowing you to come up with various ways to catch them. and the colourful island of Snaktooth is a lot of fun to explore.

Shacknews - 9 / 10

There were several times during my playthrough that something happened to work out and I just laughed. Bugsnax is a game that challenges the player while allowing them to play at their own pace. Young Horses has tapped into the essence of what made their first title Octodad so special with this second game, and the result is a truly emotional ending to the story of the century.

TheSixthAxis - 9 / 10

Bugsnax is a unique and wonderful experience, and a must-play for anyone who can get their hands on it. If you're lucky enough to have secured a PS5, make sure you make the most of PlayStation Plus and pick up your free copy while it lasts. If not, this game is still well worth your hard-earned cash.

DualShockers - 8.5 / 10

With its fun story and entertaining characters, Young Horses' Bugsnax is a charming game that shouldn't be missed -- whether you play on PS4 or PS5.

GameSpot - 8 / 10

Bugsnax' unique concept is so compelling you'll want to see and catch every one of its cute, crawling culinary creatures.

GamesRadar+ - 4 / 5 stars

Bugsnax will be remembered for its brilliant crafted world, characters and titular Bugsnax for many years to come, despite some repetition and frustrating load times.

GamingTrend - 80 / 100

Bugsnax is an odd combination of Pokémon, a Cabela's hunting game, and Octodad. It's got a lot going for it in the fun gameplay, as well as a wonderful island filled with incredible creatures to discover. I do think the ending doesn't necessarily fit, and the backtracking is annoying, but it doesn't make the game unenjoyable. If you want the weirdest game of 2020 that's unusually entertaining, then pick up Bugsnax. Now if you'll excuse me, the Kero Kero Bonito song is stuck in my head again.

IGN - 8 / 10

Bugsnax is a puzzle-adventure packed full of charm, mystery and a surprising amount of emotional depth.

PlayStation Universe - 8 / 10

Despite early fanfare very much focusing on Kero Kero Bonito's catchy theme song, and on just how outlandish a game the initial trailer seemed to show it as, the actual fact of the matter is Bugsnax is a real success, a game chockful of charm, wit, and plenty of heart - and one that revels in its eccentric trappings and delivers a meaningful adventure that'll ensure you never quite want to leave the inhabitants of Snacktooth Island after all.

Press Start - 8 / 10

Whether it's the super-catchy theme song, the nostalgia-evoking gameplay, or simply the very basic fun of hunting new Snax to transform the Grumpuses, Bugsnax is a game that is well worth your time. Its simple yet addictive challenge of catching the cute yet strange creatures coupled with some wholesome storytelling delivers a well-rounded and fun adventure.

TrustedReviews - 4 / 5 stars

Bugsnax is a strange, satisfying and utterly engrossing journey into another world – one that is never afraid to embrace its stranger side even if it means leaving your mouth agape in amazed confusion.

USgamer - 4 / 5 stars

Bugsnax sees Young Horses building on the strange sense of humor it developed with Octodad while embracing some familiar, less adventurous gameplay hooks at its core. I let out an involuntary "aw" when I saw my first Kwookie scuttling across the ground, but the real heart of Bugsnax is its cast of lovable Grumpuses. It has great characters, an entertaining story, and all the Bugsnak catching is just varied enough to keep the experience interesting to its end. All that talk about Bugsnax over the past few months wasn't misguided: it's a flavor-blasted joy.

VG247 - 4 / 5 stars

Bugsnax is a pleasant little gem of a game, but I don’t think I’ve ever encountered another title that came so close to ruining it all for me so close to the finish line.

WayTooManyGames - 8 / 10

There is no reason not to visit this delightful world. Whether you focus on catching every single bugsnax available or mixing it with the mystery, wit, boss fights, charm and an overall system that appeals to adults while accessible to kids, it is a treat. Bugsnax is an excellent entry point to story driven narrative adventures.

Wccftech - 7.5 / 10

The hunt for elusive Bugsnax is an interesting tale, requiring the patience of a fisherman and the experience of a Pokemon Snap master. This is one delicious adventure, though it might be an acquired taste for some.

Destructoid - 7 / 10

It's been a while since I've played a game with a cast of characters that was so good it elevated the rest of the experience, but that's where I am with Bugsnax. Because they're brilliant. And the concept behind Snaktooth Island is equally brilliant. It's just the actual gameplay here, catching all those 'snax, isn't quite compelling enough to match that brilliance.

GameSkinny - 7 / 10 stars

Bugsnax is memorable for its writing, world, and creative premise, but its more gamified elements somewhat spoil a delicious meal.

GameWatcher - 7 / 10

Bugsnax is a feel-good adventure with a lovable cast, a rich variety of tasty prey to hunt, but thoroughly unremarkable gameplay.

Push Square - 7 / 10

Bugsnax is a strange concoction of elements that come together for a truly unique adventure. Finding and catching the titular creatures is great fun, but the gameplay is broken up by story beats that belie the game's simple, whimsical style. The mysterious narrative and memorable ensemble cast will keep you interested between hunting for snax, too. Despite loading screens interrupting the flow and a handful of repeated beasties, this curious game is an unusual blend of flavours that works wonderfully.

Twinfinite - 3.5 / 5

Bugsnax is an odd and wacky experience that’ll be remembered as the black swan of the PS5 launch lineup, in the best way possible. It highlights PlayStation’s commitment to having a diverse catalog of games at the PS5 launch, and with Bugsnax being free on PS Plus for PS5 players at launch, there’s no reason not to try it if you’re a subscriber.

TechRaptor - 6.5 / 10

Bugsnax is a very cute game that features a diverse cast of characters, but suffers from very repetitive gameplay.

Game Revolution - 3 / 5 stars

Bugsnax is an enjoyably dark mystery that deftly handles mental health issues with a superbly voice acted cast of entertaining characters, despite its shortcomings as an adventure game.

Metro GameCentral - 6 / 10

An ambitiously odd game that has an innovative take on Pokémon style gameplay and features some of the most intriguing characters of the year – but is rarely as much fun as it should be.

PC Gamer - 60 / 100

It's got well-observed characters and some genuinely weird moments, but the actual bug hunting isn't much fun.

Eurogamer - Recommended

An island filled with critters is the setting for one of the more memorable games of the year.

Polygon - Unscored

Ultimately, it’s that modern-day Mr. Rogers moralism that saves Bugsnax in the end. I’d happily recommend it to any family, and to any parent looking for a few hours to themselves — either in front of the screen for a bit of casual gameplay, or in the next room while the kids enjoy it all on their own.

Rock, Paper, Shotgun - Unscored

Bugsnax is a faintly naughty, but never crass adventure that feels simultaneously like a love letter to, and a sharply observed satire of, the games that inspired it.

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Bugsnax (12 November 2020) - Information Thread, update: reviews from OpenCritic posted

I’m at the least just as excited for this as Miles this week! Reviews are about what I expected, can’t wait to drive into this weird ass world.

Ohh, I don’t want to read too much and spoil thing but does anyone mention dual sense in any cool use?

• 9 months later...
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Bugsnax (12 November 2020) - Information Thread, update: coming to Steam in 2022
  • 2 months later...

In the Isle of BIGsnax update, explore a mysterious new land crawling with supersized Bugsnax. Back on Snaktooth, you can complete challenges from your mailbox, collect decorations to personalize your hut, and most important of all: put hats on your favorite Bugsnax! This free content update to Bugsnax will be available early 2022 on PlayStation 4 & PlayStation 5.

• 5 months later...