Stray (third-person cat adventure) - update: August 10 release for Xbox consoles announced

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Stray (third-person cat adventure) - update: 19 July 2022 release announced
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Stray (third-person cat adventure) - update: 19 July 2022 release announced, free for PS+ subscribers
Cover_1.jpg
WWW.POLYGON.COM

Stray’s heroic cat leaps across the uncanny (feline) valley

There is a dedicated “meow” button in Stray, developer BlueTwelve Studio’s upcoming cyberpunk adventure starring a stray cat, and you can press it as many times as you want.

When playing as this unnamed orange kitty, you can be your most authentic and annoying cat self — or you can nap, pausing your adventure through a sci-fi city populated by machines, for an indeterminate amount of time. Just lay there, doing nothing, contributing nothing.

These actions (or inactions) highlight the developer’s commitment to cat authenticity in Stray, a game where players will experience a sort of power fantasy of laidback feline life.

stray-blogroll-1654633345225.jpg?width=1
WWW.IGN.COM

BlueTwelve’s PlayStation-exclusive new cat adventure looks to be as charming as I hoped, with clever use of cat behaviors as mechanics and an intriguing world to explore.

I was enamored with Stray from the moment I joined a recent hands-off preview of over 30 minutes of BlueTwelve’s upcoming cat adventure. Idling on screen before the demo began, Stray’s pro-cat-onist sat waiting for the player, pawing at something in the air, stretching out to get comfy, and, well, generally behaving like a cat.

Thankfully, the demo showed me more than just a snoozing cat, though I did see more of that later, too, and I’m quite intrigued by the impressive world on display, and the many surprising ways BlueTwelve has made playing as a cat look so fun. More importantly, it showcased a beautifully designed world and some inventive ways to incorporate a cat’s behavior into gameplay. The developers are keeping silent on much of the story players can expect, but the many slices of life I saw promised a potentially cat-tacularly good time.

06ff58276d5fc2a35a6d29404cfdbdc5.jpg
KOTAKU.COM

A recent hands-off preview showed how Blue Twelve’s debut purrfectly encatsulates feline behavior

Hands-off previews rarely offer insight into whether a game will be any good. More often than not, they’re marketing charades—and even more curated by PR than hands-on previews, since you can’t even get a sense of what the game feels like. It’s why we typically veer away from them at Kotaku.

That said, I came away from Stray buzzing with excitement to a degree I usually don’t. And this is from someone who’s generally at hype-meter-level-1,000 for game announcements, someone who’s (somehow) not yet spoiled by the cynicism that infects so many people who turn a hobby into a job! Maybe it’s just feline-adjacent instinct, but I’ve got a good feeling about this one. It will, if nothing else, be a welcome departure from the typical snarky action fare that tends to clutter the summer release calendar.

Just don’t expect any butts.

3cc4cb90-e6d7-11ec-bf95-e13207e799f9
WWW.ENGADGET.COM

The PlayStation and PC game lands on July 19th..

And now some rapid-fire facts about Stray:

• There are no customization options for the cat.
  • The cat doesn’t have to eat, drink or sleep to stay alive, but it can do these things because they're cute.
  • The cat doesn’t have a name.
  • There are no laser-pointer mini games.

Stray exists somewhere between a futuristic survival game and a housecat simulator, with some machine-powered dystopia sprinkled across the entire thing. It’s about discovery and exploration, but mostly, it’s a game about being a cat.

“As you can see, even though all the jumps are successful, I'm still really free to move around anywhere I want to,” Martin-Raget said, the cat strolling by a can on a ledge. He swiped a paw at it and it clattered to the ground. “I have to make that fall because I'm still a cat.”

Moving on, perhaps our biggest Stray takeaway is that the environmental design is seriously impressive. Even just watching 720p gameplay on our laptop screen, it's a real looker, and the setting just seems so detailed and intricately pieced together. It's absolutely the kind of dense urban jungle that you'll want to comb through, appreciating the sights and soaking up the atmosphere.

Oh, and Stray isn't without action — but don't go expecting your cat to get his claws out. As far as we know, there's no combat, but we did see a section of the game where packs of small robots chased our feline hero down an old waterway. There was a surprising sense of speed on show as the cat absolutely rocketed his way to freedom, tearing past the 'bots with all of the feline finesse that you'd expect.

Stray shows an awful lot of promise, then, but the jury's still out on things like the overall plot, and the quality of its character writing — the kind of stuff that can only be evaluated by playing through the full release. Again, though, we can't wait to sink our claws into this cat sim, and explore a strange world that seems so richly detailed.

stray-featured.jpg
WWW.VIDEOGAMESCHRONICLE.COM

We've got a really good feline about Annapurna'

It’s probably fair to say that the video game industry has more ‘dog people’ than ‘cat people’.

You only need to look at the likes of Okami, Wolf Link, KK Slider, Dogmeat from Fallout, even PaRappa the Rapper to see how dog-friendly the industry is. There’s even a Twitter profile dedicated to finding out whether you can pet the dog in a variety of games.

This clearly wasn’t something that bothered Koola and Viv, the mysterious former Ubisoft artists who left the company and started work on a feline-focused game back in 2015.

Some seven years later that game, now known as Stray, is due for release on July 19, and after recently witnessing a lengthy gameplay demo we’ve got high hopes that it’ll finally give ‘cat people’ the quality game they deserve.

Stray-1-2000x1270-1.jpg
WWW.NME.COM

'Stray' is shaping up to be a fantastic feline caper that knows exactly how irritating cats can be

Speaking of which, Stray‘s story and setting is one of its most intriguing elements. While the preview was light on details to avoid spoilers, the basic premise is that you play as a cat who has accidentally stumbled into a surreal city inhabited by robots. Far from cold hunks of metal, these robots are warm and personable. Some will stop to chat, others are too busy playing pool (or trying to play dominos), and one particularly affectionate robot will project a heart emoji on its screen-face as you curl up for a nap on its chest.

For Stray, the only real question is in how fun it will be to play once the novelty of playing a cat wears off. Though there seems to be a lot of platforming, you can’t actually jump yourself – instead, gaps and jumpable distances will offer up a button that you can press to have the game neatly jump for you. While it avoids clunking up the game’s fluid movement with player error, it does present an interesting design choice: can hours of platforming remain engaging when every jump is automatically purrfect?

3987071-stray1.jpg
WWW.GAMESPOT.COM

I'm sure my cat will come around once she sees the full release and hears the meows coming from the virtual stray.

Ultimately, the aspect of Stray that leaves me most intrigued is the story it wants to tell. The preview only provided hints at what to expect, teasing the potential discovery of lore behind the world. There's this tangible sense of mystery hanging over almost everything I saw. Who are the human-like robots? How did this cyber-noir city come to be? In a society where most sentient life seems to be mechanical, how is there a biological creature like a cat? Is this a future Earth, an alternate reality, or somewhere else entirely? These questions are what have me most intrigued to play Stray--nothing about the moment-to-moment gameplay leaves me terribly excited, but the world-building on display here has me wanting to snoop around. I hope there are plenty of secrets and stories to uncover, and Martin-Raget seemed to imply that there will be.

"At its core, Stray is an adventure game," Martin-Raget said. "It has puzzles and quest elements as well as action sequences. But it's really about the story."

yzjVvgu4qhLHPKPF2qCd9M-1200-80.jpg
WWW.GAMESRADAR.COM

Stray, an upcoming indie from Annapurna Interactive, is a gamified love letter to cats

And the cat itself has been designed and animated with attention and affection by a sole animator at BlueTwelve known as Miko. Miko's Sphynx cat served as inspiration for their animations, which are so lifelike and detailed they will amaze you, from its adorable little trot to the very specific tip of the tail twitch all cat owners know so well. The attention to detail is so impressive thanks to BlueTwelve's universal love for cats – not only are many of the team cat owners but there are even office cats who wander around during production.

Thanks to their incomparable IRL references, the team can see small details that aren't working properly to ensure this cat is like no other game cat you've ever seen. "Having cats around us is really helpful because we get so used to seeing them move around, we can instantly see when something is a bit off with an animation, or if a sound is not really convincing, or if a certain situation is too unrealistic for an actual cat," Martin-Raget explains. When asked if they're paid fairly for their efforts, he quips "they are paying us, they're the boss of the studio."

stray-preview-city-cat-robot.jpg
WWW.DEXERTO.COM

Stray is an upcoming action-adventure game from BlueTwelve Studios, full of puzzles and mystery, so here are our preview first impressions.

Stray, this apocalyptic, mystery-based adventure game, which according to the team, will take about nine to ten hours to complete (if you’re set on exploring and uncovering everything) is packed full of beautiful environments. Each of them tells its own tale – both through the world itself and the humanoid-looking robots inhabitants you’ll meet there.

With several stories in Stray to uncover, whether that’s the cat’s own journey, the city itself, or B12 (your little robot companion) there’s plenty to learn. Speaking of B12, this cute drone is vital to uncovering the world and progressing throughout it, as it’s able to translate text for you, examine items, and according to the devs, will get more powerful over time. As you explore together, you’ll collect ‘Memories’, which are fragments of data that B12 gathers to teach you about the world and its lore.

Stray-Game-Preview.jpg
SCREENRANT.COM

Stray's cat protagonist will explore a neon city.

Unlike many titles with animal protagonists, Stray leans hard into the realism of being a cat, meaning players will experience both the pros and cons of a cat's skillset. Although things like the cat's agility and stealth can be a good thing, other traits like small size and undexterous paws can make some actions impossible. In that dichotomy lies the game's important mechanic of seeking out help from those around you - drone B12 can do things like hold onto collected items and activate technology, and robots can teach players more about objects if presented with them.

A good amount of Stray's more lighthearted side comes from this more realistic take on a video game cat protagonist. Martin-Raget stated that almost everyone on the development team owns at least one cat - the protagonist is even based on a cat owned by a BlueTwelve co-founder - and they are clearly familiar with all the quirks of the species. The game encourages players to have fun being annoying, letting them do things like knock items off of ledges and scratch up different surfaces with special adaptive trigger controls. Stray also allows players to take naps, and even has a dedicated meow button.

As happy as I am to spend hours doing extremely normal cat things, Stray is promising plenty of quests and adventures to find. Many of the robots will have tasks for you, some pertinent to the story and some just for fun, and the local barman is always bursting with gossip if you need a tip. Curiosity isn't going to kill the cat this time.

I've often wondered how my red sons see the world and I'm pretty sure Stray is going to bring me one step closer to understanding them better. Unfortunately, I don't think either of my cats will let me put a little backpack on them and I value my life too much to bother trying. In the meantime, I will be practising napping and yelling loudly at half-empty bowls of food until Stray releases on July 19.

Stray-cat-art.jpg
WWW.ROCKPAPERSHOTGUN.COM

Our impressions of Stray, the upcoming cat adventure from Annapurna Interactive and BlueTwelve Studios.

So yes, consider my curiosity well and truly piqued. After two years of waiting, it looks like Stray is shaping up to be quite the substantial adventure, with Martin-Raget saying he expects a regular playthrough to last between 7-8 hours "at normal pace", with completionists looking at something closer to 9-10 hours. That's a lot bigger than I was expecting, in all honesty, although having now seen the city in action, it's clear that BlueTwelve have put a lot of effort into making this place a fun and interesting setting to pass the time in. I'm also very much looking forward to shredding its wornout furniture, kneading its fleabitten carpets, fiddling about with its TV remotes and knocking over every single object in sight, because honestly, what else are you possibly going to be doing between quests and story missions when you're such an adorable little fuzzball? Finally, we have a good cat in video games, so take note, fellow felines - this stray is looking to be the real cat's meow.

stray.jpeg?x60491
WWW.FANBYTE.COM

From a hands-off preview, Stray looks like a fuzzy, authentic feel-good cyberpunk adventure for cat lovers everywhere.

For the most part, Stray seems to be a down-tempo expedition carried by a method of storytelling executed through understated surroundings, evocative level art, and quietly detailed animations. But it also has its intense moments, like when you endeavor out to the city outskirts.

It’s almost evening, and the last of the sun’s rays shimmer off of an emerald pool of malignant waste. Ominous chirps echo into the atmosphere in front of you. The orange fuzzball isn’t scared, though, as he emits a confident “murp” before he leaps across the scattered debris, tactfully outrunning his predators: slimy, machine-devouring blobs of parasites. These chase sequences introduce an unexpected level of stress to Stray that shakes up the stakes and balances out the leisurely strolls.

Slums_Screen09.png
WWW.VG247.COM

In our hands-off preview of Stray, BlueTwelve Studio's Swann Martin-Raget walks us through what to expect from the cat adventure title.

You can feel the level of commitment and passion that have gone into this game; from Murtaugh’s movement and the detailed environments, to crafty level design and a pseudo-third person camera for taking in your surroundings, it really feels like the developers have thought of just about everything – from a cat’s-eye view – to try and make Stray a near-perfect, and incredibly touching, feline adventure.

If there’s any one single thing that I took away from my time, it’s that an amazing amount of love, care, and dedication has gone into trying to make this game a proper homage to cats, and cat lovers, everywhere. Stray is to last nine to 10 hours for the most adventurous of players, and will release later in 2022. Here's hoping the fantasy of being a cat in a neon-drenched world won't outstay its welcome, then. From what I've seen so far, I don' think that'll be an issue.

In the meantime, I’m going to be tearing up at how cute all the in-game screenshots are.

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Stray (third-person cat adventure, 19 July 2022) - update: multiple hands-off preview articles posted
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Game Information

Game Title: Stray

Platforms:

• PlayStation 5 (Jul 19, 2022)
  • PlayStation 4 (Jul 19, 2022)
  • PC (Jul 19, 2022)

Trailer:

Developer: BlueTwelve Studios

Publisher: Annapurna Interactive

Review Aggregator:

OpenCritic - 84 average - 92% recommended

Critic Reviews

GameGrin - 10 / 10

Everything in Stray works together so well; the characters, the story, and being a cat is so realistic and fun that it is so rewarding. I can't recommend this game enough; it is my game of the year for 2022 meow!

Gaming Nexus - 10 / 10

Stray is more than just a cat simulator; it's a love letter to cats and cat owners alike. It is an absolute spectacle from beginning to end, with a heart wrenching narrative and enough cat-centric puzzles to have you meowing for more. BlueTwelve Studio did an immaculate job bringing this project to life, immersing you in a dystopian world filled to the brim with mystery, all the while making you truly feel like an adorable feline. We need more games like this in the industry, ones that stand tall on their own and don't bank on the success of their inspirations.

VG247 - 5 / 5

Stray might ultimately be indie in size, but it’s triple-A in quality, and while it may only last eight to 10 hours, it’s a game that has touched me for a lifetime.

VGC - 5 / 5

Stray is a masterclass in environmental design, with one of the most engrossingly detailed game worlds we've explored. Like its protagonist it's a little on the short side, but what's here will stay with you for a long time. Essential.

But Why Tho? - 9.5 / 10

Stray astounds with its beautiful graphics, quirky characters, and puzzles that bring out the best and worst in a cat.

GameByte - 9.5 / 10

Though short, Stray is a delight of a game to experience. Forcing players to make organic progress feels like a genuine achievement, and viewing this world through the unique perspective of a cat gives the story considerable more weight. Stray is a game that you will think about even when you’re not playing it. Like a good book, its world pulls you in and you never want to put it down. It’s nice to see at least one cyberpunk game live up to the hype, eh?

Oyungezer Online - Turkish - 9.5 / 10

Monsters that can chew through metal, a forgetful drone, lots of ontological questions you can push from the high ground as a cat... All of these come together and create a sincere and compact story that you should definitely experience.

BaziCenter - Persian - 9 / 10

Stray is not without fault, but it’s certainly good enough to be worth every second of your time and every penny of your money.

Checkpoint Gaming - 9 / 10

A lusciously dense world of natural beauty colliding with cyber-future grimness is ready to be explored from a uniquely tiny perspective. Stray tells a surprisingly emotional tale that instantly grips during its opening moments and doesn’t relent until its closing scene. A standout release so far this year, Stray proves to be so much deeper than just a cat adventure game.

Destructoid - 9 / 10

I’m so happy Stray exists and that BlueTwelve Studio stuck the landing.

Digitally Downloaded - 4.5 / 5

Anyone expecting Stray to be an action-packed stealth game – as the promotional material tried to argue it is – might be disappointed as the game is more about the journey and the narrative than it is about skulking. What Stray does well is expressing a journey featuring a less-than-common protagonist, and while other games have covered similar themes it’s that unique perspective, from much closer to ground level, and the visual stimulating scenes that makes it ground well worth padding over again.

Explosion Network - 9 / 10

Stray is a vibe, starring a cat that'll go down in hiss-tory. I fell for the feline companion and the strange, wonderful world it tumbles into in a heartbeat.

Game Rant - 4.5 / 5

'Cat game' Stray accomplishes exactly what it sets out to do, delivering an authentic cat experience in the form of an adorable puzzle/platformer.

GameSkinny - 9 / 10

Stray isn't just a game about a cat trying to get home, but one about an even greater adventure. And doing cat things.

GameSpot - 9 / 10

Stray expertly embodies the abilities of its feline protagonist to create a captivating puzzle adventure in an engrossing post-apocalyptic world

GamesRadar+ - 4.5 / 5

Stray is a phenomenal, if compact, feline adventure that captures cats perfectly - even if they do find themselves in a bizarrely beautiful robotic world.

GamingINTEL - 9 / 10

Stray may offer a heartwarming narrative, alongside some great visuals, but it truly shines when it allows you to simply be a cat. Not only is it a fantastic game for cat and animal lovers, but it's also one of the most unique experiences in gaming yet.

God is a Geek - 9 / 10

Stray is a delightful adventure game that strips away all the normal complications of the genre to offer an enjoyable overall experience.

Hardcore Gamer - 4.5 / 5

Looking past the fact that it features a kitty that can operate a vending machine, Stray boasts drop-dead gorgeous graphics, an intriguing story and unique post-apocalyptic world, and ridiculously fun and silky smooth gameplay that comes from climbing up and down every area possible with natural catlike agility. Stray is an absolute masterpiece that BlueTwelve should be proud of, and you'd be a fool to miss out on on no matter what, so make sure to check out this feline odyssey ASAP.

Hobby Consolas - Spanish - 90 / 100

Stray is an indie adventure that it could be a Triple A game. It casts a cat as the main character, and focus on exploration and puzzles,. Not only has a superfab technical production, it also has an entertaining gameplay and a touching message. ¿The problem? When you finish it, will leave you wanting more... and it's not very long.

Kakuchopurei - 90 / 100

Stray succeeds because it’s an engrossing adventure title with atmosphere, well-made aesthetics, a cool but not quite on-the-nose plot about a crumbled society trying to break out of its self-made chains, and some great adventure gaming gameplay that mixes puzzles with cat grace action. And it's a game made for cat people and lovers in mind.

PCGamesN - 9 / 10

Stray merges feline mayhem with a classic cyberpunk setting, inviting you to explore its neon dystopia while never taking itself too seriously.

PlayStation Universe - 9 / 10

Stray has managed to meet the lofty expectations put upon it once it became known that you would take control of a lone cat within a dystopia punctuated by scores of neon lighting. While some may say that it's hard to miss with a setup like that, what developer BlueTwelve Studio has managed to fashion from the composite parts is something truly special and has us yearning for more.

Press Start - 9 / 10

Stray is a brisk and relentlessly charming adventure that offers a very unique window into a gorgeous sci-fi world. It won't challenge your mind or your reflexes too much but it'll absolutely delight your senses. Importantly, it's a video game with a dedicated 'meow' button, and what could possibly be better than that?

Screen Rant - 4.5 / 5

Stray is a puzzle-platforming adventure game which offers players a one-of-a-kind feline science fiction experience that delights in every way.

Shacknews - 9 / 10

When I watched the reveal trailer for Stray, I was expecting it to be fun to run around as a cat, and it is. What caught me off guard is just how detailed and thoughtful the experience was from start to finish. This game is both cute and entertaining, but there is real detail and passion on display that makes it so much more. Stray is a must-play for cat lovers, or anyone who just appreciates a stellar game.

Sirus Gaming - 9 / 10

Overall, Stray has been quite an experience and I can say that it's one of those games that you'd really want to play if you enjoy a good story and exploration. It's a game for cat lovers, it's a game for cyberpunk lovers. It's a game for people who never stopped dreaming of getting out of a place they feel trapped in.

TechRaptor - 9 / 10

Stray is an immersive and beautiful adventure game filled with so much detail and personality. Who knew solving puzzles as a cat could be so much fun?

TheSixthAxis - 9 / 10

Playing through the kitty cat adventure of Stray is an experience that's filled with joy and delight. I loved it, and so did my cat.

Video Game Sophistry - 9 / 10

This is a game that almost always feels great, will tug at your heart strings and most importantly, make you want to play all games from the perspective of an incorrigible little kitty.

WellPlayed - 9 / 10

Stray is everything I wanted from it, an enjoyable and engaging journey across a well told tale that is every bit as cute as it is mysterious. More importantly, it made me feel empowered and brave in the face of uncertainty – I can’t remember the last time I’ve audibly cried out in delight so many times in the space of a few hours. Cuteness overload, no doubt.

WhatIfGaming - 9 / 10

Stray is a unique game that takes you on a brief yet memorable adventure through a multitude of settings, and characters, and most importantly, helps you appreciate the effort put in by the developers. I can safely say that Stray lived up to the hype, and delivered on one of the most definitive experiences in games that many gamers may dismiss in the paltry 10 or so hours to 100% the game, but you walk away with memories and something you will definitely cherish.

COGconnected - 86 / 100

While the game lacks challenge, the pace and memorable set-pieces make this a tremendous trek with a tabby.

Atomix - Spanish - 85 / 100

BlueTwelve Studio was able to surprise us with a game that any type of player can try without problems, with intuitive gameplay that fans of independent productions will really like. The only problem is that in the end we are left wanting to have more adventures aside the little Kitty.

CGMagazine - 8.5 / 10

Stray is a game oozing with charm and can be considered a must-play for cat lovers looking for something new to pounce on and sink their teeth into.

Easy Allies - 8.5 / 10

Play as an adorable kitty and use their cat prowess to charm the people around them in order to make their way back home.

Gamepur - 8.5 / 10

Even though the story of Stray feels slightly incomplete, the overall experience is well worth the price you pay for it. The developers built a large, well-constructed city that gives you a great experience of what it's like to be a cat in a world built for creatures larger than you.

PSX Brasil - Portuguese - 85 / 100

Stray subverts our expectations by putting us through the unlikely point of view of a kitten with no fantastic powers or abilities on an exciting journey back to its home. With simple mechanics and impressive visuals, the game's great strength lies in the subtlety of a captivating narrative not because it humanizes the protagonist, but because it proposes us, for a few hours, to really look at that world through the kitten's eyes.

PlayStation LifeStyle - 8.5 / 10

Despite the odd slip-up, Stray is a (mostly) relaxing game that takes clever cat interactions and turns them into a compelling adventure. The 8-10 hour story (on a completionist’s run) will certainly tug on the heartstrings in places but will not overstay its welcome. The gameplay is simple enough that it can be enjoyed by all ages although the younger children may find the Zurk imagery a bit scary. Those playing Stray on PlayStation Plus should definitely give this one a go, while those looking to buy the game on release should not have much hesitation.

Paste Magazine - 8.4 / 10

B-12's memories are a kind of collectible you'll have to search for, and a few optional side-quests require scrounging up assorted bric-a-brac, but Stray doesn't make you wander about examining every nook and cranny for something you may or may not actually need. That's a good thing for a videogame, but if you were hoping to really just play as a cat doing cat-like things, "pointlessly searching for stuff you don't need" would be exactly what you wanted. The cat game might be less about the cat and more about the existential crises facing mankind and the artificial intelligences that will be left behind, but at least there's a dedicated meow button.

Gamersky - Chinese - 8.3 / 10

Stray is a short and sweet game, with a unique and immersive adventure from a cat's point of view under a beautiful cyberpunk vision. The story of this lonely city and stray cats will still linger on.

Video Chums - 8.3 / 10

Stray is a delightful adventure full of beautiful visuals and endearing characters. I thoroughly enjoyed my time exploring the post-apocalyptic city from the unique perspective of a feline who's dedicated to helping out the remaining robotic residents.

PC Gamer - 82 / 100

Simple, polished systems allow Stray's rich fiction and charismatic star to shine.

IGN Italy - Italian - 8.1 / 10

Stray is not just a cat walking simulator, but a well-balanced adventure that turned out to be another winning bet for Annapurna Interactive. The merit of the success is to be attributed to Bluetwelve Studio, whose love for cats has allowed the French developers to create a very refined game in many respects. If you love cats and animals, don't miss Stray or you may regret it.

AusGamers - 8 / 10

Outside of a handful of action sequences, the pacing here is slow and measured. And without any real difficulty or challenge, there’s a meditative quality to Stray.

Digital Trends - 4 / 5

Stray delivers on its adorable cat adventure premise, but its excellent atmosphere and strong sci-fi storytelling are what elevate it.

EGM - 4 / 5

Stray does a great job at letting you act like a cat, turning a wide range of true-to-life feline behaviors into clever gameplay mechanics. But it's much less successful at making you truly feel like a cat, as the game's more conventional approach to its gameplay and story routinely shatters your immersion in odd ways. If you can suspend your disbelief and look past the missed opportunity of a more cohesive experience, however, there's a lot to like in its moody cyberpunk world and varied challenges.

Enternity.gr - Greek - 8 / 10

Stray offers a cat, a dystopian environment, and overall a videogame that should not be missing from your collection.

GGRecon - 8 / 10

If you are a cat-lover then the game is an absolute must, you'll be instantly connected to the main character of Stray – who must be protected and cherished at all costs.

Game Informer - 8 / 10

It's a solid, brief ride through a strange world and one well worth taking.

Game Revolution - 8 / 10

BlueTwelve has provided a gorgeous and unique setting to match its unique protagonist, and although its action and puzzle-solving may be too simple for some tastes, it excels where it matters — and what matters is making you feel like a cat.

GameSpew - 8 / 10

As it is, Stray may be short, but it’s perfectly formed.

Gameblog - French - 8 / 10

Stray is a very good surprise. It is not a simple game where you play as a cat but it's a poetic, touching and exciting adventure.

Gamers Heroes - 80 / 100

It’s simple: If you want to play as a cat, then Stray is the game for you. However, if you’re more of a dog person, then skip it.

GamesHub - 4 / 5

Stray gets so much right about being a cat. It's not just the way you travel through the world. There are moments when you stop to rub your side against someone's legs. You can press a button to scratch the carpet and there are even a couple of puzzles that make smart use of this ability. The way you stretch out one paw to tentatively bat at a suspicious object or how you curl up on a cushion in the perfect pretzel… it's just so exquisitely, believably cat-like.

GamingBolt - 8 / 10

Stray has a unique premise, a rich world, an engaging story, fun gameplay, and it lets you play as a cat. It's a good game.

Guide Fall - 8 / 10

It really feels like a cat’s journey, with some rich story-elements, and a nice balance between relaxed exploration and intense action sequences.

IGN - 8 / 10

Stray is a delightful cat-based platforming adventure in a cyberpunk world worth exploring.

IGN Korea - Korean - 8 / 10

A wanderer cat In a gloomy and high-tech world is like a fairy tale and realistic imaginations combined. With a unique tone and a relatively short journey, each and every corner of the alley develops its own story to keep it extraordinarily interesting. With just the fact of maneuvering a life-size cat in a human world scale is already a fun feat, actions that can happen in our everyday lives but only if you were to live it or witness it as these many but little moments usually never catch our attention on a daily basis. This game creates that portal in which you are now able to see what happens in the blindspot as a usual experience. It may feel like a  quiet and stealthy journey but gradually creates a deep and pulsating experience that shakes our hearts like a wind chime that resonates in every silent atmosphere.

IGN Spain - Spanish - 8 / 10

Stray writes a love letter to cats that serves as the wrapper for a delicious sci-fi bonbon filled with artistic nostalgia.

LevelUp - Spanish - 8 / 10

Stray is a charming adventure that achieves satisfactorily its goals. With exception of some bugs, its problems are far from being factors that ruin the experience of the player. It's Certainly a very enjoyable and relaxing exploration game with a cool cast of characters and an engaging story. And yes, if you are a kitty fan you will fall in love with the protagonist.

MMORPG.com - 8 / 10

It's not going to unseat some of the bigger titles of the year, but as a fun and unique experience Stray is the cat's meow.

PCMag - 4 / 5

Stray is a wonderfully endearing game about humanity in a world without humans, delivering quality feline exploration/adventure, with some passable action thrown in.

Push Square - 8 / 10

Despite one or two rough edges, Stray is a very enjoyable adventure. It's fairly straightforward, and gives you lots of opportunity to embody a cat, whether that's rubbing up against a robot's legs, clawing at furniture, or finding cosy places in which to snooze. The narrative doesn't quite reach the emotional hit it's looking for, but it slowly shows its hand throughout, with plenty of interesting details to learn. Pairing a common pet with moody sci-fi has worked well, resulting in a unique, engaging game with strengths that outshine its flaws.

Stevivor - 8 / 10

Stray somehow manages to endear at the same time it feels like it's overstaying its welcome. At the end of the day, though, this cat-lover was won over by its sheer charm.

The Independent - 8 / 10

With Stray, BlueTwelve Studios and Annapurna Interactive have crafted a memorable experience that finishes just as it gets comfortable with its footing. But while it is short, it’s a testament to how the game looks, sounds and plays that it begs for more.

Those who are curious to explore Stray’s world on Playstation can pick up a free copy with a PS Plus extra and/or premium subscription, making it a worthy addition to your digital library.

Twinfinite - 4 / 5

I’m very high on Stray overall, as you can probably tell by now. It might not quite have the substance and complexity in design to elevate the experience to genre-leading heights, but there’s so little to fault and so much to love about it that I’m certain, cat lover or not, it shouldn’t be missed. Stray is a superb achievement for a debut project from a studio in BlueTwelve that I cannot wait to see more from.

Spaziogames - Italian - 7.5 / 10

Stray reminds of the good old adventure games with puzzles and little sandbox sections. Besides the cute protagonist, you're gonna love the other characters and their stories.

The Games Machine - Italian - 7.5 / 10

Stray is an average game, a fairy tale about a missing kitten who wants to return to the surface. The scripted parts are also its strongest and most effective narratively, while the open areas feel much less focused. All in all, Stray is a simple, enjoyable game. Great for those looking for a nice adventure and a bit of social criticism.

New Game Network - 72 / 100

Stray is a solid enough adventure game with archetypal mechanics and level design, elevated by its nice atmosphere and a unique perspective on the world.

Dexerto - 7 / 10

If you go in purely to see the world in motion and walk through its immense cityscapes, you’ll be delighted by what’s on offer. But if you go in expecting a substantial gaming experience with plenty of input and deep engagement, you may end up disappointed.  

Falling somewhere in the middle, I can appreciate Stray’s overachieving presentation but wonder what could have been with this setting and this attention to detail had it not centered around a cat with limited room for gameplay systems.

Metro GameCentral - 7 / 10

A peculiar mix of cyberpunk dystopia and whimsical platformer that is just about held together by some excellent visuals and a very cute cat.

Gamefa - Persian - 6.8 / 10

without a doubt, Stray is one of the most unique experiences of 2022. The thrill of an eventful adventure as a Cat is something you will remember for a long time. That being said, keep your expectations low because at the end of the day, stray is a small project. Its biggest flaw, is the wasted potential that could have turned into something special. Nevertheless, if you happen to be a cat lover, Playing Stray is a must!

AnaitGames - Spanish - 6 / 10

An enjoyable yet surprisingly insecure game that fails to bring its aesthetic and mechanical proposal to any narrative conclusion.

Attack of the Fanboy - 3 / 5

It's hard to perfectly encapsulate what Stray really sets out to do, as it is a jack of all trades, but unfortunately a master of none of them. Certain parts of this game are near masterclass, like its stealth sections, but it finds itself lost within its own identity too often, and misses the mark on more than one occasion.

GameWatcher - 5.5 / 10

Stray is at its best when it lets you do the things you'd expect from a cat – sleeping on cozy pillows, meowing, or scratching sofas – but fails to build consistently compelling gameplay around these flavorful bits. Although it creates a believable world, I found it hard to connect with the robots you encounter across its forgotten city, making the game's admittedly grand climax feel hollow.

Ars Technica - Ars Technica Approved

One early moment appears to block players' progress with a gate, but with no other direction to go, players will likely walk toward the gate, only to realize its bars are wide enough to let a cat easily pass through. It's one of the many examples of the game reminding players that they are tiny and can get through small paths, and I really appreciated when Stray's puzzles rewarded proper "just walk right through" thinking.

Boomstick Gaming - Buy

Video Review - Quote not available

Console Creatures - Recommended

Stray is a delightful time made by a team who clearly cares about the relationship one has with their own animal.

Echo Boomer - Portuguese - Unscored

Stray is not just the "cat simulator" it's a simple, adorable and emotional journey for all ages with a great atmosphere, themes and great moments.

Eurogamer - Recommended

Stray captures the essence of being a cat, while delivering a deeper journey through a dying cybercity.

Goomba Stomp - Essential

Ever since Stray was formally unveiled via a teaser trailer at PlayStation’s June 2020 Future of Gaming event, it became one of the most anticipated games of this generation. The appeal is easy to understand: who doesn’t want to control an adorable kitty as they explore a mysterious city? But Stray is more than just “the platforming game with the backpack cat”; it also features one of the most well-realized cyberpunk worlds of the last few years. Stunning art direction and immaculate vibes make Stray a journey worth savoring.

Kotaku - Unscored

I went into Stray expecting a platformer about a cat. I did not expect a deeply profound meditation on what it means to be alive.

Polygon - Polygon Recommends

Stray is the work of sly cat people, and it’s a triumph

Rock, Paper, Shotgun - RPS Bestest Bests

A remarkable tale about the best cat in video games finding their way home through a dense and rich post-apocalypse. A must-play for cat lovers, and it also breaks new ground for action adventure fans.

Six One Indie - Essential

Stray is simply captivating. Between unmatched world building, outstanding aesthetic design, intuitive cat physics, and immersive gameplay, BlueTwelve Studio and Annapurna Interactive have crafted an engaging and awe-striking experience from start to finish.

Skill Up - Unscored

The Escapist - Unscored

Unboxholics - Greek - Worth your time

Stray doesn't try to impress anyone, it's not full of fanfare, neither gameplay, nor design, and ultimately delivers a genuinely silent adventure with a Playdead-esque approach. It is a spare, thoughtful, smart and modern video game that questions, worries and sounds the alarm in a quiet and down-to-earth way. The title of the small French studio is not just a game starring a cat. It's something so much more that this year it's going to feature on many best games of 2022 lists…

Washington Post - Unscored

For a dystopian narrative, “Stray” isn’t interested in preaching to the player. It doesn’t try to make grand statements about mankind’s hubris or shortsighted innovation. Instead, it walks you through a living, breathing city where robots have molded their own society from the ashes of another, and lets players make of humanity’s self-destruction what they will. And that impression will stick with you long after the game ends.

gameranx - Unscored

• Halal 1

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Stray (third-person cat adventure, 19 July 2022) - update: reviews from OpenCritic posted
21 hours ago, thedarkstark said:

These review blurbs are funny. The consensus seems to be 'ok/good if a bit generic' with a few "OMFG CAT!! 10/10" thrown in

Pretty much. I have a cat and I have no idea why some people are so psychotic about loving cats...it's weird!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Amazatron said:

Probably because society deems cats as the inferior choice of pet and the negative stigma of cat ownership…

What? The only thing people ever say if I bring up having a cat is "PICTURE. NOW." 

I've had cats my entire adult life and this is a new one to me. 

Just now, BloodyHell said:

I'm very much done with them since ben moore left. The rest of the cast does nothing for me. 

Interestingly enough, I really don’t know the team behind easy allies. I always love their reviews and the commentator who does the reviews is fantastic. What did Ben Moore do?