Forspoken (PS5/PC) - Information Thread, update: "In Tanta We Trust" (post-main game DLC) gameplay reveal trailer (May 26 release)

Also maybe my PC is just dying but what is going on with these textures? Even at unprocessed 144p I can see them flickering.

It is cool how it loads in in under a second though. First time I opened the demo I swear it took 20, but the second time it was instant.

That’s weird, I haven’t gotten that particular bug I’ve had the one where it’s like part of your character is see through a couple times though! That almost looks like a shadows flickering? 

Seriously though I would so much rather hang out with Frey than most video game characters 

So far my biggest issue for me are the enemies are just like what. Like it’s deer, and some wolf thing and zombies because sure and then dragons which was really cool but it’s just what is the vision here , it feels weird. The cites are larger and more populated than I had thought they would be here which makes it less empty feeling than I anticipated. Some dips into the 50s in the city on my apparently rapidly aging 10850k butt vrr means that’s fine. 

Some weird cutscene direction too. Definitely feels heavily spliced like whatever here was heavily edited from the original intent and pieced together into something else. Like even just some of the camera angles or the way the scenes cut in and out are often strange. 

It’s a weird game.

oh and I really like how it has cat chases!

@Mr.Vic20 cpu test time!

In Cipel, do you drop below 60 at all? Especially if you move the camera around a lot?

And in general, it’s harder to notice outside because the frame rate is so high, but it’s easily noticeable for me in Cipel, there are huge frame fluctuations, not stutter, but just wild swings in frame rate when going from standing still to just moving the camera left to right really quick even. Does that happen for you?

Still deciding before 7800x3d comes out since I expect it to be just slightly better if there is a cpu at all that is ready for current gen + ray tracing yet or if you just need to wait for tech to catch up.

It’s really hard to get a good idea of like what % improvement Id get from a 10850k to a 13900k or 7800x3D because if I google 99% of any responses that touch on the subject are legitimately ignorant and pretend cpu bottlenecks don’t exist as long as you have a pentium 100 or something still or they talk about improvements using metrics that don’t cover the times when you NEED the improvement.

Like, I get that 99% of the time now I just hit 120fps and there is no difference or that sometimes even on a 4090 the gpu is the bottleneck but in 120fps gaming there is way more often a cpu bottleneck for me now than gpu and pretending it doesn’t exist for some reason doesn’t help that!

23 minutes ago, stepee said:

It’s really hard to get a good idea of like what % improvement Id get from a 10850k to a 13900k or 7800x3D because if I google 99% of any responses that touch on the subject are legitimately ignorant and pretend cpu bottlenecks don’t exist as long as you have a pentium 100 or something still or they talk about improvements using metrics that don’t cover the times when you NEED the improvement.

In my experience, it's the exact opposite and scream "BOTTLENECK" at literally everything unless it's the flagship cpu. :p 

4 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

In my experience, it's the exact opposite and scream "BOTTLENECK" at literally everything unless it's the flagship cpu. :p 

I think it depends what you are looking for, whatever you are looking for, you will find wrong answers for it :P

• True 1

4 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

Mostly the nvidia and buildapc reddits: "BRO, YOU ONLY HAVE A 12700k??!?? NO WAY YOU SHOULD GET A 4090! IT'S SO BOTTLENECKED!"

lol ok that does bring back memories of that as well, it really is like one or the other nobody ever actually wants to actually engage in reality, which I suppose is a universal human issue

16 minutes ago, best3444 said:

@stepee you son of a bitch! Your small but very noticeable praise for this made me buckle and it's downloading now!!! :lol:

I'm a pathetic excuse for a human being.

Obviously the experience you're having is going to be better than mine so I completely choked big time. 

lmao my bad 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

I'm getting great FPS and amazing load times so its hard to complain, but I can see how those with more modest systems might really feel that 10% hit. 

Like a Xbox Series X?  Not good news for the rest of the console generation if devs are contending with something similar there.

A modest PC these days is still pretty damn expensive.  I'd rather have slower loading than worse performance in-game.  But developers will start taking Direct Storage/PS5 IO Controller as a given.

• True 1

18 hours ago, stepee said:

@Mr.Vic20 cpu test time!

In Cipel, do you drop below 60 at all? Especially if you move the camera around a lot?

And in general, it’s harder to notice outside because the frame rate is so high, but it’s easily noticeable for me in Cipel, there are huge frame fluctuations, not stutter, but just wild swings in frame rate when going from standing still to just moving the camera left to right really quick even. Does that happen for you?

Still deciding before 7800x3d comes out since I expect it to be just slightly better if there is a cpu at all that is ready for current gen + ray tracing yet or if you just need to wait for tech to catch up.

Like, I get that 99% of the time now I just hit 120fps and there is no difference or that sometimes even on a 4090 the gpu is the bottleneck but in 120fps gaming there is way more often a cpu bottleneck for me now than gpu and pretending it doesn’t exist for some reason doesn’t help that!

OK, So I'm in Cipal after chapter 3 and i'm madly dashing around the town center dias and panning the camera at the same time. I am getting a low of 87 and a high of 101. I have all of the graphocs to max and am running with DLSS "Quality" setting. 

• Like 1

I truly am not getting the critisms of this game, aside from its staggering price tag. Frey is, if anything, just more of the same for another a Connecticut Yankee in King Authur's Court scenario. The amount of displeasure with her dialog and behaviors does seem down to identity more than any actual offense. The game structure is pretty regular as well, with a hub area, main quests, side quests and of course Square's love of 10 minute cut scenes liberarly sprinkled along your path, with no ability to save. If you are able to save before the 20 minute mark in a game then I would say its not a Squarenix game! I like the voice acting quality if not all the dialog and I like the UI and menu animations style as well. Its an action RPG. It certainly won't stand up against the best in the genre, but its hardly a bad game and I would argue that its already enjoyable, tutoral handcuffs aside. Also, "Cuff" is a classic sarcastic/demured side kick. I hope this is a game where people discover they actually like it once its on sale for 50% off. I supsect that will be the case. 

• Shocked 1
  • Hugs 1

25 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

Like a Xbox Series X?  Not good news for the rest of the console generation if devs are contending with something similar there.

A modest PC these days is still pretty damn expensive.  I'd rather have slower loading than worse performance in-game.  But developers will start taking Direct Storage/PS5 IO Controller as a given.

I’d question if consoles are losing that much, if any, gpu performance with the way they utilize m.2s, if simply because the Xbox Series consoles and PS5 were built around utilizing m.2s, whereas on a PC this is a software feature added through both drivers and direct x. Future revisions could lessen the impact on PCs.

1 hour ago, Spork3245 said:

I’d question if consoles are losing that much, if any, gpu performance with the way they utilize m.2s, if simply because the Xbox Series consoles and PS5 were built around utilizing m.2s, whereas on a PC this is a software feature added through both drivers and direct x. Future revisions could lessen the impact on PCs.

Yeah, I'd expect the consoles to have a different implementation tailored to the hardware.  Microsoft has confirmed this:

It's a shame Forspoken isn't out on Series X.  If the game ran as good or better than on PS5, it would suggest that their console implementation doesn't come with a GPU hit.

1 hour ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

I truly am not getting the critisms of this game, aside from its staggering price tag. Frey is, if anything, just more of the same for another a Connecticut Yankee in King Authur's Court scenario. The amount of displeasure with her dialog and behaviors does seem down to identity more than any actual offense. The game structure is pretty regular as well, with a hub area, main quests, side quests and of course Square's love of 10 minute cut scenes liberarly sprinkled along your path, with no ability to save. If you are able to save before the 20 minute mark in a game then I would say its not a Squarenix game! I like the voice acting quality if not all the dialog and I like the UI and menu animations style as well. Its an action RPG. It certainly won't stand up against the best in the genre, but its hardly a bad game and I would argue that its already enjoyable, tutoral handcuffs aside. Also, "Cuff" is a classic sarcastic/demured side kick. I hope this is a game where people discover they actually like it once its on sale for 50% off. I supsect that will be the case. 

This makes me feel a bit better. I have it downloaded but haven't played yet. I'll take your comments and easy allies 8/10 review and go in with a positive mindset.

12 minutes ago, best3444 said:

This makes me feel a bit better. I have it downloaded but haven't played yet. I'll take your comments and easy allies 8/10 review and go in with a positive mindset.

Mind you what I'm saying is that I think the game probably deserves a 7. Its not doing anything amazing, but there is fun to be had here! 

1 hour ago, crispy4000 said:

Yeah, I'd expect the consoles to have a different implementation tailored to the hardware.  Microsoft has confirmed this:

It's a shame Forspoken isn't out on Series X.  If the game ran as good or better than on PS5, it would suggest that their console implementation doesn't come with a GPU hit.

I wouldn’t worry about it either way, worst case scenario a 10% hit would just put it on par then with ps5 right?

Also that article/test, I wouldn’t take that is confirmed, this apparently isn’t even using gpu decompression from what Alex from df has tested and we probably need more info as to how it works here and what’s going on. But either way yeah it would only be a potential problem for Series S but that system is in for a world of hurt as the gen drags on either way.

@Mr.Vic20 ty for testing! That definitely makes me feel more confident that an upgrade when the 7800x3d comes out should really help put the bottleneck back on the gpu. My Dad needs a pc upgrade anyway and he can have my old one :) 

Also I agree with your other comments on the game itself! It’s a solid 7.5/10 kinda game so far and I’ve really been leaning towards those it seems? I think I’m looking for games that let me just run around and mash and get out some frustration and not pay too much attention. So even though I got my W3 remake I begged for I’m here playing this instead!

• Halal 2

21 minutes ago, stepee said:

I wouldn’t worry about it either way, worst case scenario a 10% hit would just put it on par then with ps5 right?

I think they're closer than that typically?  It probably wouldn't matter much in any case.  We're not going to see disaster ports to either console when the other's runs just fine.

14 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

I think they're closer than that typically?  It probably wouldn't matter much in any case.  We're not going to see disaster ports to either console when the other's runs just fine.

It depends on the game but that is all going to depend on many factors so Im just talking in terms of actual power. Then they are more matched with io/gpu so if anything they should just be more similar. Either way, point is that even if there is a 10% decrease, which I doubt, it won’t matter for XSX. Series S would hurt from losing 10% but that is the masochist of console systems.