Forspoken (PS5/PC) - Information Thread, update: "In Tanta We Trust" (post-main game DLC) gameplay reveal trailer (May 26 release)

2 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Right - "influencers" had no problem receiving codes, but "traditional" review outlets receiving one appears to be hit or miss.

"Influencers" might be more willing to cut a game some slack if getting a review code made them feel important.

This game has "Wait for PS Plus Plus Mega Premium Extra Plus" written all over it.

• Halal 2

On 1/20/2023 at 4:21 PM, stepee said:

I heard sommmme rumblings that this might surprise a bit and be a more solid 80s meta but we will see on that!

I guess those were probably just two of the more positive reviews that hit :P

18 minutes ago, best3444 said:

Thankfully I have plenty of games to play but this is kinda disappointing. I'm definitely not buying it tomorrow.

Dead Space time bb

Edit: Acrually, you still need to play FF7R so you don’t even need to be disappointed, just play that awesome square game instead 

• Thanks 1
  • Halal 1

I watched Run Sweetheart Run last night and that was pretty mediocre too (and weird, sup with the period blood obsession?) but I liked Ella in it so I was hoping this was going to pan out better this morning!

I just bought Potter, Spongebob, and Dead Space already though which are all coming out in the next two weeks so not hurting too much from this one though. Maybe on a sale price if the tech reviews are positive on pc.

Digital Foundry analysis:

Forspoken-EG-Header.jpg
WWW.EUROGAMER.NET

The Digital Foundry verdict.

By this point, I was still unsure what to think of Forspoken. Aspects of the game, such as traversal, seemed excellent while others, including the sometimes-stilted cutscenes, left me scratching my head. Whether discussing the themes, gameplay or visuals, this is a game of two halves.

Let's discuss the positives first - and there are many! For starters, loading is extremely fast - usually less than a second and masked by a fade to black, followed by a fade-in that sets up the game. This is a key pillar of the next-gen 'dream' and here it is, fully realised. Secondly, the sense of scale in the environments is remarkable, with a map design that embraces its athletic traversal system. A hallmark of Japanese developed open world games lies in building a visual bridge between scenery both distant and near. See that distant, towering obelisk in the far distance? It remains in view as you make your way across the landscape right up until your arrival at its base. Towering structures, sheer cliff faces and gnarled rock formations create an Athia that is fun to explore and impressive to behold.

Character rendering in terms of details and materials is excellent, while animation fluidity is also impressive. The artists responsible for the animation in Forspoken have delivered exceptionally impressive results with a wide range of expressive animations all blended seamlessly together as you chain parkour and combat moves together. Given the intricate terrain, the quality of the animation feels even more impressive, with each step connecting and seamlessly feeding into the next. Basic locomotion is satisfying and fluid. Quality animation extends to characters too, and even hair rendering. Frey's billowing locks react to both player movement and external forces such as wind, lending everything a more realistic appearance when in motion. This does, however, only apply to primary characters.

Then there's the excellent foliage system which features full touch bending that reacts as you move through it. This isn't a hot new feature but it's welcome and helps increase immersion during exploration. Large scale battles really showcase everything coming together - the way Frey's cloak and hair violently react to powerful gusts of wind and the tendrils of these otherworldly foes produce a dramatic spectacle. Basically, this mix of strong foundational animation combined with secondary movement of other elements works exceptionally well and is one of the game's strong points.

Moving beyond animation, the particle system is also superb. As you engage foes, the screen is regularly filled with dazzling GPU-accelerated particles, swirling around Frey and the creatures in a dance to the death. Explosions and magical particles alike are beautifully realized in a way that helps sell the battle system. I was also impressed by atmospheric effects, including cloud rendering and fog. Forspoken utilises excellent frustum-aligned voxel fog, resulting in some deeply atmospheric moments. The sky system itself also makes use of ray-marched volumetric cloud simulation which can look good - though the colour choices sometimes leave a lot to be desired.

• Halal 1

48 minutes ago, stepee said:

Dead Space time bb

Edit: Acrually, you still need to play FF7R so you don’t even need to be disappointed, just play that awesome square game instead 

Yea, I have to finish Uncharted 4 then FF. I might bite on Dead Space if it scores well. Has to be high 80's for me to get it. 

2 minutes ago, best3444 said:

Yea, I have to finish Uncharted 4 then FF. I might bite on Dead Space if it scores well. Has to be high 80's for me to get it. 

I feel like Dead Space will be at least 84, it will depend on how much it gets knocked for not being a new game. 

And yeah I’m almost done with UC4 also, played a bunch yesterday - at chapter 19/22 now. I might have to play lost legacy again sooner than later because I’m having a great time still.

4 minutes ago, stepee said:

I feel like Dead Space will be at least 84, it will depend on how much it gets knocked for not being a new game. 

And yeah I’m almost done with UC4 also, played a bunch yesterday - at chapter 19/22 now. I might have to play lost legacy again sooner than later because I’m having a great time still.

I'm debating if I should go right to lost legacy but I did play and beat that on PS4. 

• True 1

2 hours ago, BloodyHell said:

Jesus, I thought they were supposed to stop using jJones and doing their own reviews?

havent watched them in quite a while now.

The reviewer can decide between doing it themselves or paying Jones to do it. I think the only person that showed interest in doing it on their own was Ben before he left. I think it’s fine they continue to use Jones’ voice as it is the best in the biz 

• Halal 1

3 hours ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

This is a pretty thoughtful review from Writing On Games:

His conclusion is that because he can't tell whether he actually likes the game or not makes it a more intriguing/interesting proposition than most mainstream releases.

I have minus zero interest in this game myself but I've absolutely played games that I felt that way about and ended up kind of loving. I get that feeling!

The thing that really sticks in my craw about this game's premise is that a group of white writers deliberately chose to make their black female protagonist a criminal to illustrate the adversity and difficult circumstances in which she exists as a shorthand means of explaining her personality.

They honestly couldn't think of anything better or more creative than making her a criminal. That's great.  Just great.

• Haha 1

58 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

The thing that really sticks in my craw about this game's premise is that a group of white writers  deliberately chose to make their black female protagonist a criminal to illustrate the adversity and difficult circumstances in which she exists as a shorthand means of explaining her personality.

They honestly couldn't think of anything better or more creative than making her a criminal. That's great.  Just great.

Who wrote it? I know Gary Whitta and Amy Hennig created the basis of the world, but he said they had no part in the story or characters whatsoever, and was interested to see what they do with it.

Just now, BloodyHell said:

Who wrote it? I know Gary Whitta and Amy Hennig created the basis of the world, but he said they had no part in the story or characters whatsoever, and was interested to see what they do with it.

MV5BNTNjMGNlMzgtMjYzMS00NjlmLTg0MjMtZjMx
M.IMDB.COM

Forspoken (Video Game 2023) “Writing credits” credits

1 hour ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

The thing that really sticks in my craw about this game's premise is that a group of white writers deliberately chose to make their black female protagonist a criminal to illustrate the adversity and difficult circumstances in which she exists as a shorthand means of explaining her personality.

I really would love to show the white writers of this game the post on ResetERA from a black father who wanted to play this game with his daughter to show her that black girls can also be the super-powered fantasy heroes of video games and save magical lands.

But when he learned that Frey was written as a criminal and is held up at gunpoint during one of the scenes in the real world, he decided against subjecting his daughter to yet another negative media depiction of young black people.

Well done, Forspoken writing team.  There are innumerable ways to depict the adversity faced by young black women in this society with out having to resort to playing the "criminal card" and somehow you successfully managed to avoid each and every one of them.  Bravo.

43 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

I really would love to show the white writers of this game the post on ResetERA from a black father who wanted to play this game with his daughter to show her that black girls can also be the super-powered fantasy heroes of video games and save a magical lands.

But when he learned that Frey was written as a criminal and is held up at gunpoint during one of the scenes in the real world, he decided against subjecting his daughter to yet another negative media depiction of young black people.

Well done, Forspoken writing team.  There are innumerable ways to depict the adversity faced by young black women in this society with out having to resort to playing the "criminal card" and somehow you successfully managed to avoid each and every one of them.  Bravo.

Yeah before I even knew all that, I was already bummed out. It's great to see a POC as a main character in a game. But it sucks they had to put her in such an uninspired game and make her totally annoying.

Although this realistically feels like it was never supposed to be a game. It feels like a tech demo that Sony moneyhatted Square into making a real game out of. Because it was a tech demo and everyone was like "ooh look at what the PS5 can do!" and then they were "like what if you could play it?" and that was about the extent of the ideas. The game takes all the wrong lessons from Elden Ring. It's got a bland open world with no sense of discovery, generic enemy types. Why the hell are deer enemies? That's just stupid. Then add on everything else and this was quite a mess.

Yeah the demo didn't impress me at all. I'm a huge fan of parkour systems and platforming in general but I dunno if the demo is different from the full game or these people just think "excellent" parkour is something different than I do, but all the parkour was unsatisfying and unremarkable in the demo. Perhaps with enough upgrades or the right area...?

1 hour ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Although this realistically feels like it was never supposed to be a game. It feels like a tech demo that Sony moneyhatted Square into making a real game out of. Because it was a tech demo and everyone was like "ooh look at what the PS5 can do!" and then they were "like what if you could play it?" and that was about the extent of the ideas. The game takes all the wrong lessons from Elden Ring. It's got a bland open world with no sense of discovery, generic enemy types. Why the hell are deer enemies? That's just stupid. Then add on everything else and this was quite a mess.

I'm wondering if even started development as a PS5 game with some of the asset/lighting quality issues.  There's a lot of credence to the idea that Forspoken was actually born out of Luminous' last-gen, pre-FFXV tech demos.

SquareEnix has also been pretty open lately about not funding big projects anymore (beyond their tentpoles) without outside support.  If Microsoft wasn't busy buying companies outright they'd probably be on that train too, like with Japanese studios in the Xbox 360 era.

2 hours ago, crispy4000 said:

I'm wondering if even started development as a PS5 game with some of the asset/lighting quality issues.  There's a lot of credence to the idea that Forspoken was actually born out of Luminous' last-gen, pre-FFXV tech demos.

SquareEnix has also been pretty open lately about not funding big projects anymore (beyond their tentpoles) without outside support.  If Microsoft wasn't busy buying companies outright they'd probably be on that train too, like with Japanese studios in the Xbox 360 era.

There's no question that aspects of the look, design, and setting of Forspoken are borne out of the tech demos of previous Luminous Productions works - aka The Witch Chapter 0/Agni's Philosophy/Project Athia (Project Athia is what became Forspoken). I think there's still a lot to be said of COO and head of studio Hajime Tabata leaving just 6 months into the job (in 2018) after salvaging Final Fantasy XV and being handed a triple AAA studio (and salvaging Type-0 before that, and Crisis Core before that, and Parasite Eve III before that). If you watch the trailer compilation below of all The Witch Chapter 0/Agni's Philosophy stuff, you can see Forspoken in aspects of it all (though one could see some FF16 in there too, despite being by a different studio at Square Enix using a completely different graphics engine (Unreal Engine 4.5 vs. Luminous Engine)).

forspoken-demoannouncetrailer-still-04-1
WWW.CLOCKWORKWORLDS.COM

If you're on Twitter or frequent gaming forums, you have probably been unable to escape clips of Forspoken (Square-Enix studio Luminous' new open world action RPG) today. Just in case you spend your time better than me, though, here's a small collection of them: I present to you *actual* dialogue

Apparently this actually does have dlss2 so they I guess AMD sponsored can have dlss now they just don’t promote that it has it. Who knows if the sponsored is the reason why this doesn’t have dlss3 or not though. But maybe that means it could come later?

Either way it seems a demo will be coming out for pc so we should all be able to see how bad this runs for ourselves!

8 minutes ago, stepee said:

Apparently this actually does have dlss2 so they I guess AMD sponsored can have dlss now they just don’t promote that it has it. Who knows if the sponsored is the reason why this doesn’t have dlss3 or not though. But maybe that means it could come later?

Either way it seems a demo will be coming out for pc so we should all be able to see how bad this runs for ourselves!

Given how bad the reviews are...  Is it really worth trying a demo?

3 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

Given how bad the reviews are...  Is it really worth trying a demo?

Well, I’ve played plenty of games reviewed at around a 68meta that I had a good time with. This one I’m not as interested the type of game it is and have no relation to its IP so it’s harder to overlook that and still just buy it day1 but who knows it could click.

But the main reason is as a fan of game tech, a demo is perfect because I can experience that part of it and bench it/see how it looks without having to buy it!

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Forspoken (24 January 2023) - Information Thread, update: PC demo now live on Steam/EGS/Microsoft Store, "Official Launch Trailer"